Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Z3n posted:

MT-10 fits the use case as well, but we're not gonna get that in the states :(

Really? That's weird, it's for sale right now in Canada for about $15,500ish as the FZ-10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

predictive posted:

No, I don't have a real preference for country of origin or marque. For uninteresting reasons a bike will be my primary mode of transport (again) for the next 18-24 months, and this time round I've decided practicality is not my primary concern (you can do amazing things with a tailbag and sufficient will). I care most about buying a bike that makes me giggle when I ride it, and maybe scares me a little bit. The big naked bikes seem to hit this note for me.

Do you really think $300 would get the Triumph that close in braking power? If it were that easy I'd almost say I'm ready to go buy one now. I'll find some time to ride a SuperDuke and Tuono (assuming I can find one to ride) this week. Why is the Monster not comparable (particularly since it's at the top of the price range)? Is it likely if I buy a Ducati or Aprilia that they'll break as often as my E39 BMW did and make my life sadder, or is that mostly Italian bike apocrypha?

I know you're looking new, and I don't know what the new ones are like, but this describes an MV Agusta Brutale to a tee. If there's any for sale around you, then just for shits and giggles, find the best example of the old 4 cyl ones and take it for a test ride. You don't have to buy it, just ride it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

predictive posted:

No, I don't have a real preference for country of origin or marque. For uninteresting reasons a bike will be my primary mode of transport (again) for the next 18-24 months, and this time round I've decided practicality is not my primary concern (you can do amazing things with a tailbag and sufficient will). I care most about buying a bike that makes me giggle when I ride it, and maybe scares me a little bit. The big naked bikes seem to hit this note for me.

Do you really think $300 would get the Triumph that close in braking power? If it were that easy I'd almost say I'm ready to go buy one now. I'll find some time to ride a SuperDuke and Tuono (assuming I can find one to ride) this week. Why is the Monster not comparable (particularly since it's at the top of the price range)? Is it likely if I buy a Ducati or Aprilia that they'll break as often as my E39 BMW did and make my life sadder, or is that mostly Italian bike apocrypha?

Yes - Master cylinder plus decent pads (if the OEM ones aren't great) will make all the difference in the world, as the rest of the system is pretty decent spec. Modern Ducatis are pretty decent maintenance wise, aprilias are hit or miss electronically.

I just realized that they put the 11 degree engine in the monster 1200, so it's actually probably kinda close. The big problem with Ducati is really dumb gearing, if they put a proper wide ratio transmission in it it would make all the difference in the world.

Having made the same choice a few years back, I think the SuperDuke is the best bike in the category, but everyone leans a different way on that.

VERTiG0 posted:

Really? That's weird, it's for sale right now in Canada for about $15,500ish as the FZ-10.

Yeah :( probably has to do with US emissions or something.

Linedance posted:

I know you're looking new, and I don't know what the new ones are like, but this describes an MV Agusta Brutale to a tee. If there's any for sale around you, then just for shits and giggles, find the best example of the old 4 cyl ones and take it for a test ride. You don't have to buy it, just ride it.

Never own an MV. The bikes are great to ride but my housemates dragster has had 5 starter sprag replacements in 15k miles, plus a cracked radiator, plus a broken taillight that's been back ordered for 3 months and they just went into chapter 11 in the US. They're Italian as poo poo but that means a terrible supply chain, marginal electronics and fueling, and expensive parts. When they were the only naked game in town, sure, but these days there's massive, significantly better competition.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

Yeah :( probably has to do with US emissions or something.

That would be the dumbest reason ever, since it's using a retuned R1 engine, and they don't have any issues getting the R1 to pass US emissions.

It's probably an even more BS reason like "Americans only buy bikes covered in huge plastic fairings or acres of chrome and fringed leather so it's not worth it to bother federalizing this model". Same reason we never got the MT-01 either. :mad:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Never own an MV. The bikes are great to ride but my housemates dragster has had 5 starter sprag replacements in 15k miles, plus a cracked radiator, plus a broken taillight that's been back ordered for 3 months and they just went into chapter 11 in the US. They're Italian as poo poo but that means a terrible supply chain, marginal electronics and fueling, and expensive parts. When they were the only naked game in town, sure, but these days there's massive, significantly better competition.

That sprag clutch thing (and most of their build quality issues) was (allegedly) fixed with the AMG takeover, at least. The far bigger sin of the MV is just how loving dull the engine is. Even duller than a street triple. Perfectly useable, sure, but for that sort of money and with those looks it should be providing a bit more of a tingle when you're actually riding it.

(Also the controls for the dash and ride by wire were the worst and most counter intuitive I've ever experienced, why are all bikes harder to adjust poo poo on than a seventies digital watch?)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I just realized that they put the 11 degree engine in the monster 1200

What's this referring to out of curiousity?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The angle of the valves, IIRC. Ducati have been very excited about it for ages now, I have absolutely no idea why or how it's a good thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/05/22/technical-analysis-ducati-821-liquid-cooled-dohc-desmo-8-valve-testastretta-engine - a pretty interesting article about the modern Ducati engines that I understood at least 75% of (and which explained why there's a weird little air intake lurking under my radiator)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HotCanadianChick posted:

That would be the dumbest reason ever, since it's using a retuned R1 engine, and they don't have any issues getting the R1 to pass US emissions.

It's probably an even more BS reason like "Americans only buy bikes covered in huge plastic fairings or acres of chrome and fringed leather so it's not worth it to bother federalizing this model". Same reason we never got the MT-01 either. :mad:
Yeah it's dumb as KTM sold a shitload of 1290 SuperDukes, which is the bike I'd consider the cross shop to it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That sprag clutch thing (and most of their build quality issues) was (allegedly) fixed with the AMG takeover, at least. The far bigger sin of the MV is just how loving dull the engine is. Even duller than a street triple. Perfectly useable, sure, but for that sort of money and with those looks it should be providing a bit more of a tingle when you're actually riding it.

(Also the controls for the dash and ride by wire were the worst and most counter intuitive I've ever experienced, why are all bikes harder to adjust poo poo on than a seventies digital watch?)
They've been claiming the starter sprag issue is fixed every time they put a new one in. Hasn't fixed anything yet. :v: They keep claiming "no, THIS is the fixed part!" and every 3k it starts making a terrible noise when it starts. He's also done the usual battery upgrades, has had all the fueling maps done, etc.

Are you talking about the 675 F3 engine? The 800cc triple is an awesome engine with decent low end but a super entertaining rush of power up to the top end. The engine was the peak of the bike, in my opinion, which was great because the handling is pretty garbage. But some people like that flighty/unstable feeling in their bikes.

Agree completely on the terrible (original) ride by wire (which was fixed, eventually, by a new map) and the terrible UI/UX decisions.

Slavvy posted:

Ducati rates their engines by valve overlap time - the 11 degree engine is the most low end focused one, iirc. Mostly it was just important that they moved to their more current engine design.

From here:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/10/27/ducati-desmo-variable-timing-1198-testastretta-v-twin-engine-tech-update posted:

As we know, that name refers to the amount of duration, in crankshaft degrees, of the overlap, that period when the inlet valves are already open while the exhausts are not fully closed.

Ducati!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Yeah it's dumb as KTM sold a shitload of 1290 SuperDukes, which is the bike I'd consider the cross shop to it.

They've been claiming the starter sprag issue is fixed every time they put a new one in. Hasn't fixed anything yet. :v: They keep claiming "no, THIS is the fixed part!" and every 3k it starts making a terrible noise when it starts. He's also done the usual battery upgrades, has had all the fueling maps done, etc.

Are you talking about the 675 F3 engine? The 800cc triple is an awesome engine with decent low end but a super entertaining rush of power up to the top end. The engine was the peak of the bike, in my opinion, which was great because the handling is pretty garbage. But some people like that flighty/unstable feeling in their bikes.

Agree completely on the terrible (original) ride by wire (which was fixed, eventually, by a new map) and the terrible UI/UX decisions.

They did more or less completely re-engineer the bikes after the AMG takeover so it's possible the newer part isn't compatible. And yeah, it was the 675 engine - if there were peaks to it they were way beyond the revs I like to use in normal riding. It felt more like an old carbed 600 - smooth as anything but just utterly dull.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I asked last week about a ZRX with 32k miles. Picked it up this weekend for $2000. Considering going the sticker bomb route. It was dropped once, and I'm not a huge fan of the color compared to the green scheme. Need to clean it up before I take more pics

https://imgur.com/a/xf1TZ

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2016

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

compton rear end terry posted:

I asked last week about a ZRX with 32k miles. Picked it up this weekend for $2000. Considering going the sticker bomb route. It was dropped once, and I'm not a huge fan of the color compared to the green scheme. Need to clean it up before I take more pics

https://imgur.com/a/xf1TZ

I think that dog has much the same opinion. I say ride it.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I want a bike.
I used to have a lovely one when I was a teenager that I used to ride around on, but it was lovely, and I was riding it hellua illegal, and I was a kid.
Now I'm on my thirties and want one again. But like, one that't not a piece of poo poo.
That cyclez website from the OP is down as of this second, and I've been getting all erect looking at these things:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/dsr.php

What the hell happened to the tie fighter thread?

I'd like to know all the reasons why I'm gong to die, buy a glorified barbie powerwheels toy, abuse my oversized testicles, ect...

Given the idea that I may instead get a bike not powered by communism and ice cream, I'd be likely to take it on some sort of ill conceived roadtrip from California to various states on the other side of the Mississippi, then ride back, and use it around San Diego till one of my legs fell off from some rear end in a top hat's left turn while asking what type of mustard to buy via text.

Basically, I can drive a stick in my sleep, have great situational awareness, I'm 6 feet even and 200Lbs., smart enough not to try and race people out, and old enough that I've watched people get mangled in accidents on the freeway. (good one recently, dude dumped in 10mph traffic on the I-5, lady in SUV behind him ran over his legs and kept driving like she didnt even notice. Probably didn't, who knows)

Need bike, want overpriced lectric, willing to settle for far less expeisive death machine with good range instead. Wat do.Edit:

Wait it was the SR -not the DSR.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/sr.php
My bad.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 2, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Solvent posted:

I want a bike.
I used to have a lovely one when I was a teenager that I used to ride around on, but it was lovely, and I was riding it hellua illegal, and I was a kid.
Now I'm on my thirties and want one again. But like, one that't not a piece of poo poo.
That cyclez website from the OP is down as of this second, and I've been getting all erect looking at these things:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/dsr.php
What the hell happened to the tie fighter thread?

I'd like to know all the reasons why I'm gong to die, buy a glorified barbie powerwheels toy, abuse my oversized testicles, ect...

Given the idea that I may instead get a bike not powered by communism and ice cream, I'd be likely to take it on some sort of ill conceived roadtrip from California to various states on the other side of the Mississippi, then ride back, and use it around San Diego till one of my legs fell off from some rear end in a top hat's left turn while asking what type of mustard to buy via text.

Basically, I can drive a stick in my sleep, have great situational awareness, I'm 6 feet even and 200Lbs., smart enough not to try and race people out, and old enough that I've watched people get mangled in accidents on the freeway. (good one recently, dude dumped in 10mph traffic on the I-5, lady in SUV behind him ran over his legs and kept driving like she didnt even notice. Probably didn't, who knows)

Need bike, want overpriced lectric, willing to settle for far less expeisive death machine with good range instead. Wat do.
Why don't you go take the MSF course, get a proper bike license before shopping for a motorcycle. And since you didn't list any specific requirements other than touring capabilities, I'd say anything with a standard seating position and ABS will do you a world of good. Why electric? The range usually sucks, charging takes a long time, they cost much more than gas bikes and technology is moving fast enough to make it obsolete in few short years. And don't buy a brand new bike as your first

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Take a beginner riding coarse as a refresher and then buy a Versys.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Nitrox posted:

Why don't you go take the MSF course, get a proper bike license before shopping for a motorcycle. And since you didn't list any specific requirements other than touring capabilities, I'd say anything with a standard seating position and ABS will do you a world of good. Why electric? The range usually sucks, charging takes a long time, they cost much more than gas bikes and technology is moving fast enough to make it obsolete in few short years. And don't buy a brand new bike as your first

gently caress MSF. I'm not really huge on that proper license poo poo either. Chances are I'm going to register it under someone else's name.

I mean, thanks, but no thanks dad.
I know how to not dump or act like an rear end in a top hat when doing things other than talking or typing, and I'm fairly predictive of what other divers are doing.

I just have money that I want to spend on new vehicle, by the end of a roadtrip I'd be really comfortable on a bike all over again.
Something that can go for long distances without being a dadbike and handles well, accelerates well on the high end enough for me to zip around cars on the freeway.
I mean, I could pimp lock brakes if I had to, but I figured ABS was mainly standard.

That ad said just shy of 200mile range with a 2-3 hour charging time with the fast charger. It barely weighs more than I do, I mean, I've worked with heavier equipment on various jobsites before.
The last part was the only real downside I could think of. I'd hate to shell out 15k for something that's going to be sitting next to my old iPhone 5.
Christ. Did you even look at it?
I like the acceleration of my friend's FIAT electric gocart thing, and the thought of a fast, silent motorcycle that I could theoretically pick up off the ground makes every hair stand up on the back of my neck.
They supposedly cost a penny a mile to run, wont shake till my balls feel like they re going to melt, don't need to be tuned up all the time, no shifting.

Chichevache posted:

Take a beginner riding coarse as a refresher and then buy a Versys.

That sounds like advice! More like this without the first part would be appreciated.
What's so drat good about these courses anyways?
When I first learned to drive a car, I was told it'd be good to take a lesson with an instructor.
All that happened was the prick rode that instructor brake till I snapped at him.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Get a Triumph Daytona.

E: and a GoPro

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 2, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Kawasaki ZRX is pretty much a modern UJM (Universal Japanese motorcycle). Well, it was modern 10 years ago when they made them. Anyway, they're solid standard bikes that can do just about anything you'd ask for competently. Goes fast, handles well, takes a beating. Wanna ride it like a demon? Hop on, that's what it is made for. Wanna tour it a few hundred miles? Throw a rack on back, strap your pack, tighten the slack, and hit the track. The bike is comfy as hell stock, and can be tweaked to be more aggressive or conservative as suits the rider.

Also, get a helmet camera of some kind.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

Get a Triumph Daytona.

This. And drop the fancy gear, no need. Spend the money on a pipe and a good tune.

e: Have you heard of the snake? It's a great destination for a road trip.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Real talk electric bikes haven't caught up with the combustion engines so those bikes will be way underpowered for your experience. However the torque output from the electric bikes is far superior so what you want to look for is something like a superduke 1290r to get "the best of both worlds" as it were.

Definitely do not do any of those riding courses, waste of time and money. What use is puttering around on an underpowered 125 when you're going to be riding a real bike?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

abigserve posted:

Real talk electric bikes haven't caught up with the combustion engines so those bikes will be way underpowered for your experience. However the torque output from the electric bikes is far superior so what you want to look for is something like a superduke 1290r to get "the best of both worlds" as it were.

Definitely do not do any of those riding courses, waste of time and money. What use is puttering around on an underpowered 125 when you're going to be riding a real bike?

Woah, man. I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm here. CA is supposed to be a nice and happy place. :glomp:

Edit
Vvvv
I meant Cycle Asylum, but I hella agree with your post, dude. :ca:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 2, 2016

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Do the loving snake bro, its hella nice.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Lol, that's two manchild idiots in one week. Welcome to riding season CA!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Get a Triumph Daytona.

Suuuuuper duke!

And a GoPro.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a used turbo busa on the cheap and set the extra money aside for skin grafts

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Razzled and I are here every day. :confused:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I think the last manchild put everyone on edge for this one.

Take the course. You always learn new things from professionals. Given you just saw a guy dump at 10mph and probably lose his legs, you'd think you'd be more inclined to get some professional training.

Don't get a new bike until you're comfortable again.

Listen to the advice of the very people you're asking for advice, or don't loving bother.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Darwin always wins. Accept it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Koruthaiolos posted:

Get a Triumph Daytona.

New thread title.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New thread title.

:agreed: someone PM a mod and ask, I would, but I'd rather not.

darth cookie posted:

Darwin always wins. Accept it.

I don't think this means what you think it means. Also, I am pretty sure they have reproduced already.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

. Also, I am pretty sure they have reproduced already.

Not always. Judging by the guy's attitude, he could well be a thirty year old virgin. Anyone who turns into an rear end in a top hat when given the polite suggestion to take a class and learn something is probably bad enough at acting like an adult that he's just as socially inept at talking to the ladies.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Solvent posted:

gently caress MSF. I'm not really huge on that proper license poo poo either. Chances are I'm going to register it under someone else's name.

I know how to not dump or act like an rear end in a top hat when doing things other than talking or typing, and I'm fairly predictive of what other divers are doing.

I just have money that I want to spend on new vehicle, by the end of a roadtrip I'd be really comfortable on a bike all over again.
Something that can go for long distances without being a dadbike and handles well, accelerates well on the high end enough for me to zip around cars on the freeway.
I mean, I could pimp lock brakes if I had to, but I figured ABS was mainly standard.

That ad said just shy of 200mile range with a 2-3 hour charging time with the fast charger. It barely weighs more than I do, I mean, I've worked with heavier equipment on various jobsites before.
The last part was the only real downside I could think of. I'd hate to shell out 15k for something that's going to be sitting next to my old iPhone 5.
I like the acceleration of my friend's FIAT electric gocart thing, and the thought of a fast, silent motorcycle that I could theoretically pick up off the ground makes every hair stand up on the back of my neck.
They supposedly cost a penny a mile to run, wont shake till my balls feel like they re going to melt, don't need to be tuned up all the time, no shifting.

That sounds like advice! More like this without the first part would be appreciated.
When I first learned to drive a car, I was told it'd be good to take a lesson with an instructor.
All that happened was the prick rode that instructor brake till I snapped at him.

Guns are cheaper, I recommend sucking on the barrel of a glock and pulling the trigger

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

Guns are cheaper, I recommend sucking on the barrel of a glock and pulling the trigger

definitely sign up for a firearms handling and safety course with your local gun club first.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Solvent posted:

You don't want advice, you want a support group for your stupid decisions. May I suggest looking for a local facebook group instead, just look for key phrases like "helmets kill more than they save" and "I don't need gear because I am too good a rider to crash" and you will fit right in.

You are a poo poo rider. All people are poo poo riders and it takes hundreds of hours of practice and a willingness to learn to become a good rider. It takes thousands of hours and a willingness to learn to become a great rider. Good training will cut the time needed to be become a good rider dramatically and every one can still learn how to be a better rider. The MSF is literally the basic skills needed to ride and not kill yourself and you don't have those skills.

An ego will get you killed on a bike so unless you can learn to check your ego before you ride you will become a statistic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The electric bike squid troll is a pretty good one.

Touring on a Zero SR, lol. 200 mile range for touring on an electric, double lol. ABS is standard on bikes from the guy who doesn't believe in rider training, triple lol.

8/10.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

M42 posted:

Wait, which is the other one?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

The electric bike squid troll is a pretty good one.

Touring on a Zero SR, lol. 200 mile range for touring on an electric, double lol. ABS is standard on bikes from the guy who doesn't believe in rider training, triple lol.

8/10.

I'm inclined to agree, except it's not a 200mi range if you hoon it.
Then it's more like 3 passes at the drag strip.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Wait, which is the other one?

This guy in the chat thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&pagenumber=730&perpage=40#post459315666

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Linedance posted:

definitely sign up for a firearms handling and safety course with your local gun club first.

gently caress firearms safety compliance course. I'm not really huge on that proper license poo poo either. Chances are I'm going to register it under someone else's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Welcome to riding season CA!

I've got stuck behind so many Cobwebbed Oil Furnace '80s Japanese Touring Bike Uncles in the last couple weeks. Riding season is truly upon us.

I had no idea there were so many Yamaha Ventures left in the world.