Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

Why? Does the profit margin suck or something?

One of his factors was the damage return rate is stupidly high, especially on the Omnibus line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

One of his factors was the damage return rate is stupidly high, especially on the Omnibus line.
Yeah. Nerds are picky. As long as the book isn't falling apart or ripped or something I am fine with it but I bet they get a lot of returns for a slightly dinged corner. Then there is Amazon who takes great care in packaging and shipping books....

In other news..

http://amzn.com/1302902040

Collecting the Howard the Duck Magazine. Kinda sucks that the last Complete Collection ended with #1 and this starts with #2. Since I already have the Omnibus I don't really want to shell out for the Complete Collection just for that issue.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 4, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Nerds are picky. As long as the book isn't falling apart or ripped or something I am fine with it but I bet they get a lot of returns for a slightly dinged corner. Then there is Amazon who takes great care in packaging and shipping books....

I'd say one out of three of our omnibus books come damaged. And I don't mean dinged corners, I mean looks like they were drop kicked kind of damage.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

I'd say one out of three of our omnibus books come damaged. And I don't mean dinged corners, I mean looks like they were drop kicked kind of damage.

Do you get to send them back for credit or replacement?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I had to return an Omni because it had half of a two pages spread of She Hulk ripping Vision in half. It had a literal blank page.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

Do you get to send them back for credit or replacement?

Yes. Usually they just tell stores to destroy them though.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is Discount Comic Book Service typically a good place to order from? They have the new Age of Apocalypse omnibus for 50% off and I was really wanting to read it but I've never ordered from there before.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't ordered from them personally, but they seem to be a well regarded store. I've used they're trade paperback store, In Stock Trades, plenty of times without issue.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Seconding instocktrades as a good store. They package the books very well so they show up in pretty much perfect condition, no dinged corners.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've order thousands of dollars of product from instocktrades and the singles site they run. I've had one comic damaged, and it was an interior page in a omni they really had nothing to do with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's the best online shop for Canadians? The deals from DCBS and Instock are fabulous, but are negated by our shithouse dollar and shipping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dcbs is a great company aside from one person that they employ! Give them your business!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Dcbs is a great company aside from one person that they employ! Give them your business!

I mean, I'd be happy to were it not for the factors I suggested! They have a great price for DC One million Omnibus....

Pato
Mar 15, 2006
Duck
Thanks for the notification. Just ordered Age of Apocalypse from them. Already scored the companion omnibus on eBay for a cool $30 but I'd been waiting for a deal on AoA itself.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I told you Rhyno I don't actually work there.

(I know who you're actually referring to)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

I told you Rhyno I don't actually work there.

(I know who you're actually referring to)

Imma punch his stupid face!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Bleeding Cool are reporting that the "finally coming out" Starman Omnibus vol. 3 tpb isn't. It's been canned again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

Bleeding Cool are reporting that the "finally coming out" Starman Omnibus vol. 3 tpb isn't. It's been canned again.

So much for turning new readers onto one of the best books of all time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Glad I snagged the hardcovers while I had a chance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Glad I snagged the hardcovers while I had a chance.

Same.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shameless posted:

That's too bad. Is it just lack of demand?

In other news, I have pre-ordered the Clone Saga Vol. 1 omnibus.

God help me.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's too bad. Is it just lack of demand?

Yeah, I assume so. They've canned plenty of stuff in the past because of low pre-order numbers.

2016 and still angry they canned Night Force twice

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Ugh I should have bought all of the Starman hardcovers a few years ago when they were aplenty. Now with the paperbacks cancelled I won't be able to get the whole series without spending way more than planned.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I finished putting in an order on DCBS and I'm curious as to how order fulfillment works. It says my order is open until April 27 and I can add anything until then. So at that point, will it ship everything that is currently available and then ship the other stuff once it's released? I ordered about $400 worth of stuff, some of which is available now but most of which isn't available until the coming months. If they ship stuff separately, do they charge my card all at once on the 27th or charge it a bit at a time as stuff ships out?

Also, there seems to be a weird lack of availability of items on there. I was looking for the Time Runs Out omnibus HC and Vol 2 of Flash by Geoff Johns and it didn't have either, as well as a ton of other stuff I was looking for. Is there some method to how/when they stock items?

Sorry if these are obvious questions but the site itself wasn't much help figuring stuff out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hell yea, Ms Marvel Omnibus. Guess that means I won't have to stock up on the hardcovers.

http://www.amazon.com/Ms-Marvel-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/1302902016/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461982009&sr=8-8&keywords=ms+marvel

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Kinda weird. Looks like the same content as the OSHCs. Same price ish too. I prefer the smaller books but this omni won't be obnoxiously huge.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of nerds being picky...

Back when Marvel's Siege event came out in 2010, all the tie-in TPBs had blue spines that said said SIEGE really large, followed by the title of whichever series it was, with a character's face at the bottom.

But normally, during that era, Marvel TPBs had black spines with the series title, then the volume subtitle, and at the bottom, a box with the volume number.

I have a matching set of Bendis' New Avengers TPBs with black spines, and they all say NEW AVENGERS: Subtitle, and at the bottom, Vol. ___. Except for what should be Vol. 13, which has a blue spine, and it says (in a completely different font):

SIEGE: NEW AVENGERS.

And instead of Vol. 13 at the bottom, it has Spider-Man's face (because he had so much to do with the invasion of Asgard and coming of The Void).

So I have two questions:

1. Did they ever print TPBs that didn't have the blue spines and SIEGE spine layouts?
And
2. If anyone has a New Avengers: Siege TPB that matches the rest of the volumes and doesn't care, would you want to trade?

I'm the guy who spent years piecing together a matching set of ten Sandman TPBs, by the way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know about that series specifically, but Marvel did print different versions for comic shops and book stores in the past, one following the numbering of the main title and the other positioning the books as standalone stories. I can't remember which is which, though. I had a friend exchange one of his New Avengers books because of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm also uncertain about the Siege editions but the Secret Invasion books all had direct market variants.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

*Inconsistent Trades*

Something like that where it's event-wide makes sense, a little, but poo poo like this drives me up a wall:

WHY IS THAT 4 DIFFERENT?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Three major trade dress revisions in three years hosed everything up. I still don't much care for the DC peel logo. The DC Shoes "ripoff" logo was much better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

I still don't much care for the DC peel logo. The DC Shoes "ripoff" logo was much better.

I don't either. I assume by the shoes logo you mean the 2005-2012 one? That was ok, but I personally really like the Bullet they used before that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

I don't either. I assume by the shoes logo you mean the 2005-2012 one? That was ok, but I personally really like the Bullet they used before that.

Yeah, DC Shoes sued because it looked too much like their logo so DC Comics had to change their again.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dunbar posted:

I finished putting in an order on DCBS and I'm curious as to how order fulfillment works. It says my order is open until April 27 and I can add anything until then. So at that point, will it ship everything that is currently available and then ship the other stuff once it's released? I ordered about $400 worth of stuff, some of which is available now but most of which isn't available until the coming months. If they ship stuff separately, do they charge my card all at once on the 27th or charge it a bit at a time as stuff ships out?

Also, there seems to be a weird lack of availability of items on there. I was looking for the Time Runs Out omnibus HC and Vol 2 of Flash by Geoff Johns and it didn't have either, as well as a ton of other stuff I was looking for. Is there some method to how/when they stock items?

Sorry if these are obvious questions but the site itself wasn't much help figuring stuff out.

First of all some of your questions can be answered here https://www.dcbservice.com/content/faq, specifically stuff like when you get charged is covered there.
Any other questions you have you should email them at customer.service@dcbservice.com
I am actually a local customer so I don't know exactly how all that stuff works, I just pay for whatever comes out that week when I pick it up.
One other thing is that DCBS is primarily for preordering single issues and books that have not yet come out yet. If you want to order stuff that is already out, you should check out http://www.instocktrades.com/ It's the same owners and everything.
I hope you have a good experience!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Question for people who bind comics (which I know includes redbackground, and I'm not sure who else):

I plan to go to two conventions this summer to meet a lot of creators and get books signed. With some of those comics, I had them bound into custom hardcovers. Let's say I meet an artist who drew five or six issues in one of my volumes (since there were different artists throughout the series). Is it cool to tab the covers to those issues with Post-It Notes so he can sign each one, just as if I handed him the single issues? I'm really hoping they'll be okay with that, rather than expecting one signature on the inside front cover. Of course, if their lines are long, I am more than willing to get back in line with more of my stuff, rather than hold everything up for everyone.

I realize that when I meet one writer who wrote every issue in four of my custom hardcovers, that's asking far too much to expect him to sign each issue in each volume. In that case, I'm going to ask for one signature on the inside front cover of each book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never had anything bound, but that sounds like the sort of thing that will be heavily dependent on the particular creator and their workload. I've definitely seen people roll up with piles of books to get signed, so if they're willing to do that, I doubt they'd complain terribly much about signing multiple covers in one bound book.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I got Todd Nuack and Greg Capullo to draw on the inside covers of my Young Justice and Quasar binds. Todd Nuack was super impressed and convinced Blake Griffin to bind his issues.

I wouldn't bother with getting each issue signed because they are all bound together, but the artist shouldn't have a problem I've seen dudes bring in 50 to 100 books for signatures, but that's bad etiquette. I think under 10 and your not pissing anyone off.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been getting comics signed at cons for over half my life, but having bound volumes is just a new hiccup.

I think I'll be fine in most cases, except when I meet Tony Harris, who drew 30-something issues of Starman I have bound in three separate volumes, and Keith Giffen, who co-wrote EVERY issue of Justice League International/America/Europe, which I bound in four volumes, plus I have tons of other stuff by him.

With Harris, I'll see how busy he is and what kind of mood he's in. With Giffen, I'm making a special trip to a different con later this summer just to meet him, since that run of Justice League comics is so special and influential to me. Whatever he's up for signing, I'll be fine with.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I've never had anyone sign anything, so I don't know anything about what's cool these days. The post-it thing sounds reasonable if you really don't want them mucking with the inside covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I mostly use my signed books as display pieces, so bound books and hardcovers kinda defeat the purpose. I'd rather a signed special issue or cover to hang than a book I may actually use my Cheetos fingers on to read.