Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Bedshaped posted:

Irish people are also scum and our homogeneously white country has bred us the most closetly racist populous in history.

I don't think Irish people are particularly racist. Irish people tend to be quite ignorant of race because of the homogeneity, but they lack the virulent racism you find many places elsewhere in the world. The 'racism' of older Irish people is just down to a lack of experience with other races. They wouldn't see anything wrong with making jokes about black people for example because they might have gone their whole life without meeting one - its a completely abstract concept to them. I think thats probably the case with Gerry here.

If you spend time in the deep south in the US, or South Africa, or anywhere with real actual racial problems you'll see there's a massive difference. In places with racial tensions the racism has a very severe undertone of hatred/fear rather than ignorance, which makes it a lot more sinister. And harder to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

kustomkarkommando posted:

As has been pointed out a lot drawing an equivalence between treatment of nationalists in northern Ireland in 50s-60s and the horrors of American slavery is pretty bizarre, considering Gerry recently compared himself to Rosa parks cause he was stopped by security while attempting to attend a white house gathering the man seems to have lost of the run of himself.

When I was at QUB a woman in a tutorial once said that Gerry Adams and Martin Luther King were incredibly similar and had faced the same struggle and fought using the same methods. To this day it is one of the dumbest claims I've ever heard and the professor running the tutorials face was a thing of beauty.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gerry also today described himself as a founding member of the NI Civil Rights Movement while defending his tweet which has raised a few eyebrows

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Gerry also today described himself as a founding member of the NI Civil Rights Movement while defending his tweet which has raised a few eyebrows

Eamonn McCann must be apoplectic right now, I hope there is a full rage column for him on the way.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/727100731514339328

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have to wonder what it would be like on Twitter if Michael Stone hadn't been locked up again in 2006.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Blut posted:

I don't think Irish people are particularly racist. Irish people tend to be quite ignorant of race because of the homogeneity, but they lack the virulent racism you find many places elsewhere in the world. The 'racism' of older Irish people is just down to a lack of experience with other races. They wouldn't see anything wrong with making jokes about black people for example because they might have gone their whole life without meeting one

I wouldn't say that. Plenty of young people here, who grew up without that homogeneity are virulently racist.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also the whole Travellers thing.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Near had a heart attack when I saw that caption. It's a typo, thank Christ.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Danny Healy-Rae spouting bollicks in the Dail today.

He's denied man-made climate change and said "God above in charge of the weather and we can't do anything about it".
It makes me wonder how many of our politicians are climate change denialists.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marenghi posted:

Danny Healy-Rae spouting bollicks in the Dail today.

He's denied man-made climate change and said "God above in charge of the weather and we can't do anything about it".
It makes me wonder how many of our politicians are climate change denialists.

Is he a Catholic? Because I'm pretty sure the Pope has staked out a clear position on man-made climate change. Is Danny Healy-Rae harbouring heretical views? Someone should ask him to clarify.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Healy-Rae speaking about anything other than Kerry? I'll be damned....

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

This comic is apt

gently caress the Healy-Raes.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Didn't the Healy Rae's both run on platforms calling for more money for flood defences.

Guess they finally accept that God hates Kerry

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Healy Raes' weather knowledge begins and ends at rubbing their hands together and declaring it "too cold to snow"

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Flood defences end up being pristine motorway around flood areas

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Is he a Catholic? Because I'm pretty sure the Pope has staked out a clear position on man-made climate change. Is Danny Healy-Rae harbouring heretical views? Someone should ask him to clarify.

This would be fantastic.

I unfortunately doubt Healy-Rae is even coming at this from a strict religious point of view, instead more than likely its just one of sheer godawful ignorance. The people of Kerry have a lot to answer for.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The cynic in me suspects the Healy-Rae's opinions on climate change are sung to the tune of the cattle industry or other rural polluting industries.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blut posted:

I don't think Irish people are particularly racist. Irish people tend to be quite ignorant of race because of the homogeneity, but they lack the virulent racism you find many places elsewhere in the world. The 'racism' of older Irish people is just down to a lack of experience with other races. They wouldn't see anything wrong with making jokes about black people for example because they might have gone their whole life without meeting one - its a completely abstract concept to them. I think thats probably the case with Gerry here.

This.
Irish people have 200 years of inbuilt trying to guess what religion you are (Taig or Prod) from your name and home town, to notice what color your skin is.
"Now would that be Zatala M'beko from the east Zambia, or west Zambia?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Now tell me, Ahmed, is this Allah buck a Catholic or Prod thing?"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

EmmyOk posted:

"Now tell me, Ahmed, is this Allah buck a Catholic or Prod thing?"

muslims are catholics

buddhism is a tricky one

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Spangly A posted:

muslims are catholics

buddhism is a tricky one

I think its the same as if your say you're an atheist, 'Aye sur, but are ye a Protestant Buddhist or a Catholic Buddhist?"

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blut posted:

Irish people are pretty racist, but the older generations can be hilariously racist. My Gran-aunt answered the door to some african immigrant christian evangelical types back in the 90s when black people were even rarer in Ireland.
Her reply to the "Are you a christian madam?" question is family folklore.
"Sure wasn't I a christian when you people were still eating each other"

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

echomadman posted:

Irish people are pretty racist, but the older generations can be hilariously racist. My Gran-aunt answered the door to some african immigrant christian evangelical types back in the 90s when black people were even rarer in Ireland.
Her reply to the "Are you a christian madam?" question is family folklore.
"Sure wasn't I a christian when you people were still eating each other"

Thats hilarious, but I'd still say that proves my ignorance point more than anything else. I doubt your grand-aunt was harboring a secret severe hatred of black people that was a major part of her life, it was probably just that she didn't really know anything about them so had odd old misconceptions when meeting one. Whereas if you'd had a grand-aunt from Alabama or Johannesburg she probably would literally have wanted to eradicate black people from her country, and would have considered them a sub-human species not worth deigning to talk to.

Its the difference from making a vaguely racist comment on your doorstep vs setting the guard dogs on the nice African man and laughing as they tear into him, Monty Burns style.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Also the period 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs' in the UK changed a few irish minds into hating white people more.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

As a someone from the North I can confirm that yes a lot of Irish people are extremely racist and throw bricks at Eastern Europeans and cover houses in graffiti saying No Blacks.

Since Gerry Adams tweet I have listened to a number of people explain to me how it's not really offensive and sure thats what you call them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I doubt we're much less racist it's just that we had less opportunity because we're still super white. When I worked in Centra an oul one told me the black guy I worked with was "the only nice black in the town". I agreed he was very nice which was a pretty canny move on my part. I just gaped at the woman who said the manager worked me like a white friend of the family.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

We have government sign

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/ChrisHazzardSF/status/728602303771594752/photo/1

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Looks like PBP are winning a few seats up North:

quote:

Gerry Carroll of the People Before Profit Alliance has been elected to Stormont after topping the poll in west Belfast.
http://www.u.tv/News/2016/05/06/Carroll-of-People-Before-Profit-tops-west-Belfast-58548

I wonder if they'll start to undermine SF from the hard left economically, as republicanism/unionism fade away as issues somewhat. That'd be an interesting development.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

McCann looks set to squeeze in for PBP in Foyle as well. Poor showing for the SDLPs third man and a strong showing for another left leaning (but barking mad) independent should see him nick the last seat all being good.

It only took him 50 odd years

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Pretty dire looking for the SDLP overall...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bryter posted:

Pretty dire looking for the SDLP overall...

Eastwood did nothing to stem the bleeding and being reduced to two seats in Derry is going to be a humiliation.

I wonder if hell last till the next election as leader.

I think there's a fair chance they'll go opposition now

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Fitzgerald as Tanaiste, Leo getting put in social protection.

Shane Ross gets Transport

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I'm back in Ireland in less than two weeks and I'm regretting my decision now.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mary Mitchell O’Connor with a ministerial position... oh dear.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

In Belfast West senior SDLP member and former Minister for the Environment Alex Attwood is teetering on the brink of elimination - he's won a seat in every election in the constituency since 1998. If he fails to make it that's gonna smart.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Actually what with the reduction in the number of Minsterial slots this go around Attwood getting knocked out might actually knock the SDLP out of the Executive based on some suggestions from wonkish quarters. Deary me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

I'm back in Ireland in less than two weeks and I'm regretting my decision now.

Why would you return? I couldn't see myself coming back once I have the experience to work abroad.

• Locked thread