Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Coming out of my weeks of self-imposed Souls community exile because King of Storms/Nameless King is breaking me. I can feel it.

dark sword +10 2-hand it, chloranthy shield on your back
ring of favor
lightning protection ring
carthus dodge roll ring
a ring of your choice
+lightning res armor (pyromancy set works well)

hit the dragons head, if he rises up and does the fire you're too close to the body. stay to the left of the head and you can bait the easy flame breath to take off like 1/3 of its health.

I hear people say dodge to the right, but dodging to the left (his right) is a bit better in my experience. As a souls rule you always want to roll towards their weapon hand.

Jose posted:

i've not reached that boss yet but I have the dragonslayer great shield ready to be my first time using a shield since its 100% physical/95% lightning resist

I actually specced for high strength to use this shield expecting an easy cheese fight. What I got was a waste of stat points. The only moves that are hard to dodge can't be blocked. Using that shield, unless you wasted all your points in carry weight you'll be fat rolling. You will die of chip damage if you use any other shield.

just dodge, throw the chloranthy shield on your back, summon if you want to give up and have someone else kill it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Blaziken386 posted:

Any advice for the Old Nameless King? Getting him down to half health used up all 10 of my estus. Dude's got a ton of health.

e: Old Demon King, sorry. There's too many bloody kings in this game.

Poke him in his demon rear end in a top hat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After NK I just ditched my shield and kept a Buckler around for parrying. It was a good decision.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Vermain posted:

Full-on blocking isn't a good strategy. I generally use it to absorb swipes so that I can safely circle strafe enemies to backstab them, rather than as a main defensive strategy.

Pretty much, like you could turtle in the other games. This? Chances are you are gonna lose all the stamina and you don't want that to happen. With NM, I got lucky because when he drained my stamina from the shield, he went with the slow wind up which let me barely had just a tiny bit of stamina to roll out of the way .

Also I learn the hard way with the turtling early game. I got riposted quite a bit by enemies. We aren't the only ones who can punish a guard break. :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Any advice for the Old Nameless King? Getting him down to half health used up all 10 of my estus. Dude's got a ton of health.

Sorry, do you mean Old Demon King, or the dude we were talking about above? ODK is about playing safe: sit at medium range until he starts doing a slow windup swing, dodge roll underneath it, smack him once, then roll off to the sides to avoid getting smushed by his counter. Force him to fight on the lower (middle) part of the arena, and then run up the hill (towards the fog door) when he does his flame circle or fire breath attack. Run around the corpse piles when he does his meteor attack. When he kneels at low health, run away and then return after he's exploded to finish him off.

Mortimer posted:

You will die of chip damage if you use any other shield.

Nah, Lothric Knight Shield handles him just fine. The point isn't to block every one of his attacks, but rather to block either hard-to-predict attacks (like his pass-through charge) or attacks with staggered timing (like the first two hits of his combo).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mortimer posted:

dark sword +10 2-hand it, chloranthy shield on your back

Jeez why not just tell him to hack the game

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Kanos posted:

With those weapons, your best bet is to buy some Carthus Rouge and bleed him out.

This is basically the best strategy for any boss on a low level run. What bosses can't you bleed? Tree? Armor?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mortimer posted:

I actually specced for high strength to use this shield expecting an easy cheese fight. What I got was a waste of stat points. The only moves that are hard to dodge can't be blocked. Using that shield, unless you wasted all your points in carry weight you'll be fat rolling. You will die of chip damage if you use any other shield.

just dodge, throw the chloranthy shield on your back, summon if you want to give up and have someone else kill it for you

i've got 50 str/40 vit anyway lol

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

e: Old Demon King, sorry. There's too many bloody kings in this game.

Here's a really lame way to kill him without ever taking a hit:

1 phase: stay away from his melee range and bait out his super telegraphed fire breath attack. The moment you see it coming run to his left leg and get a few hits in, then quickly run back to a safe range. repeat until phase 2

2 phase: stay out of range until he starts summoning his magma balls. Run to him and hit a few times. Fall back to a safe range once the balls start dropping. Repeat until dead

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

i've got 50 str/40 vit anyway lol

People who say VIT is worthless never did PVP below 30% weight

The superfast dodge roll is something most opponent's aren't used to and it can be used to really effectively triangle strike your enemy.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Hackan Slash posted:

This is basically the best strategy for any boss on a low level run. What bosses can't you bleed? Tree? Armor?

Judging from a youtube video I watched last night, I don't think NK can be bleed. Or if he can, his resist is so insanely high that it isn't worth trying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm struggling to keep my equip weight below 70%. its not for the fast roll

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm struggling to keep my equip weight below 70%. its not for the fast roll

Fast Roll is so elite tier. I've had dudes rage quit from fast roll.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So general advice for Nameless King seems to be:
  • Strafe to his left (your right)
  • Treat every combo like it's going to be a three-fer
  • Heal when he lunges or when his arms rest at his sides

I've personally been strafing to his weapon arm (my left) because that's pretty much ingrained in my DNA - when I tried the other way he'd often clip me with the end of a swing. What are the pros and cons of either direction? Also is Carthus Bloodring worth it with a decent armor under 50% weight? My problem is I'm switching up strategies so often that I'm not perfecting any of them.

Regarding the dragon, is there a way to minimize his sky fire attack and coax out his grounded fire attack? It's just about the only opportunity I have to hit him safely.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Judging from a youtube video I watched last night, I don't think NK can be bleed. Or if he can, his resist is so insanely high that it isn't worth trying.

immune to bleed and poison, yes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

People who say VIT is worthless never did PVP below 30% weight

you're right, I haven't wasted my time with that, but you may be correct

for PVE, which is what 90%+ of the people here are asking questions about, vit is worthless

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

He can. It's just difficult to do because of the low windows of opportunity you have to actually get hits in before it becomes dangerous to try to sneak in any more. He can be hit staggered and visceraled, however.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deified Data posted:

Also is Carthus Bloodring worth it with a decent armor under 50% weight?

Carthus Bloodring is so good it feels like cheating.

I don't think the "with decent armor" "under 50% weight" or whatever stuff even matters, there's no circumstance where +5 iframes on your roll isn't awesome.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FutonForensic posted:

Dragon Crest Shield is maybe TOO useful relative to other shields. It blocks physical 100%, blocks the most common type of magical damage almost as much, and is fairly lightweight.

it also has terrible stability. BK shield is better if you're sword'and'boarding fire bosses

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I did PVP last night where I entered the fight with the Dark Sword, Havel's shield, and Dragonslayer Armor to be maximum scrub and then just before I attacked unequiped everything, equipped loincloth, and switched to Caestus as my weapon and charged

I love it.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Bloodring almost breaks the game if you have enough health to survive a mistake

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Flynn's Ring gives +9 attack to my level 20 char when I pimp her out in worker duds and swap the metal shield for a Caestus. Not a bad chunk of damage!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I've personally been strafing to his weapon arm (my left) because that's pretty much ingrained in my DNA - when I tried the other way he'd often clip me with the end of a swing. What are the pros and cons of either direction? Also is Carthus Bloodring worth it with a decent armor under 50% weight? My problem is I'm switching up strategies so often that I'm not perfecting any of them.

Regarding the dragon, is there a way to minimize his sky fire attack and coax out his grounded fire attack? It's just about the only opportunity I have to hit him safely.

Uhh the pros and cons are what you said, strafe left and stay really really close to his body. Strafing right if you're close to him should be the same but it sure doesn't feel that way. Carthus Bloodring is amazing always use it.

Dragon: Stay close to the head, do not walk behind the head. Do not attack the body or feet. Stay in front left of the head.

Vermain posted:

He can. It's just difficult to do because of the low windows of opportunity you have to actually get hits in before it becomes dangerous to try to sneak in any more. He can be hit staggered and visceraled, however.

really? Dang. Stagger and visceral are really really good against NK, still only like 10% of his health but that's a lot.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Not sure about minimize, but crank the audio.

He has an audio cue for the sky fire attack before he has any physical ones, and you can get a few precious seconds by listening for it.

I found you can fish out his most opportune attacks by staying a few feet in front of his head and avoiding lock-on. Lock-on is worthless against the dragon. I just face him down, and watch the pattern of his head movement. If he doesn't breath fire, you can usually at least coax a lightning ground strike or double swing out of him.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I did PVP last night where I entered the fight with the Dark Sword, Havel's shield, and Dragonslayer Armor to be maximum scrub and then just before I attacked unequiped everything, equipped loincloth, and switched to Caestus as my weapon and charged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs

is this you

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
DS3 is the first game in the series I've been mid-rolling in. Namely because everything is so freakin' heavy. That, and the fast roll doesn't seem to be that much faster than the mid roll.
Sidenote: why hasn't the front-flip ring made a return? I'd even accept a version that had the same number of invincibility frames as a normal fastroll. That animation looked cool.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is NK weak to any elements I should be using resin for?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

He is weak to Fire and strong against Lightning, so just slap some Charcoal Pine Resin on when you can.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deified Data posted:

Stay in front of him and he won't jump up and breathe fire, and don't lock on, it only makes them harder to track. If they do jump straight up just start rolling the opposite direction and you'll dodge the fire easily. There's no reason to get hit once you've gone through KoS a few times, and the fight should be over very fast. Almost all of boss's attacks leave space at the end for you to get some hits in on the dragon's head, and the visceral attack will further speed things up. It's irritating that you have to do it at all but the fight should only last like two minutes.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The dragon is weak to lightning though. Make sure you switch resins.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Deified Data posted:

Ultra easy mode for Nameless King: Havel Shield +5. I can just block his entire 4-hit combo without losing half my stamina. Retaliate, repeat, win without trying.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Dark and Fire

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only time I would recommend locking on is when King of Storms does his flying attack. Lock onto NK (not KoS), and then run in the same clockwise direction as KoS so that you can see and dodge the Sunlight Spear. When he turns to go for the swooping attack, run directly towards him and then dodge through the downswing, unlocking as you do.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Vermain posted:

The real bullshit about Yorshka is that she drops the absolute best Miracle catalyst in the game, and the only way to get it is to straight-up kill her. Cool design!

Chimes are inferior to Talismans because they don't make your miracles unstaggerable.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Level 16 and - +0 weapon and I can't get blucops pulls in the forest. Cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

The flying fire breath only really has an audio tell, not a visual one. Learn what his roars mean and when you hear that one, run away from him (ideally in the direction his head is facing). If you start to sprint literally immediately, you'll get out of range in time. If you don't think you will, start rolling after sprinting a good distance.

Not too sure if you can reliably bait out the ground fire attack, but it's definitely the best opening to beat the poo poo out of him.

Vermain posted:

The real bullshit about Yorshka is that she drops the absolute best Miracle catalyst in the game, and the only way to get it is to straight-up kill her. Cool design!

If it helps, the best talisman (Saint's Talisman) is only 3 Spell Buff weaker than Yorshka's Chime at 60 Faith.

I'm pretty bummed about that choice, too, though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly the only way I've ever bait out that flame breath is kept a distance, but not too far otherwise dude just flies up and trys to chuck lighting spears at me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Frankly super armor > 3 spell buff for pvp so it doesn't even matter, really.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gologle posted:

Chimes are inferior to Talismans because they don't make your miracles unstaggerable.

I actually did some testing with the Talismans, and a lot of them are actually garbage at the unstaggerable thing. Unlike Perseverence, Unfaltering Prayer does not give you infinite hyper armor for the duration, but rather appears to turn on Poise and give you a small boost to it, dependent on the Talisman, meaning that you can still get staggered if you are hit with a strong enough attack or with enough attacks during the cast time. On the Tree Hollows by Crucifixion Woods, the Saint's Talisman actually did not let me Poise through more than a single one of them light attacks, while the regular ol' Talisman let me Poise through about 3 or so (or a single one of their strong attacks). The Sunlight Talisman has the best version of Unfaltering Prayer, but it also does garbage damage.

Basically, if you're going to use FTH in PVE, you may as well just use Yorshka's and play like any old caster, getting casts in when it's safe. The amount of damage you lose going with the Canvas Talisman or the Saint's Talisman over Yorshka's is not insignificant. It's different in PVP, of course, but I haven't had time or ability to reliably test how good Saint's is against the majority of weapons.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

turtlecrunch posted:

"Can't hit the broad side of a barn" is an apt phrase. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDqfiNsM4zg

On the plus side this is the first time Siegward has lived through this fight for me.

For the first and last time in his life, Yhorm got to live his dream of being an enemy in an FPS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Those tree wielding dudes do ridiculous poise damage. It's not comparable to even ultragreatswords.