Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

At the end of ESB, Luke attempts suicide rather than confronting the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't shoot the messenger!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Luke does attempt suicide.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Renoistic posted:

So when Marvel does it it's a cliche, when DC does it it's a parody?

WAYNE TOWER DEVASTATED
"Dozens Killed"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Wait a sec, is this some thing I'm unaware of? Is there a controversy over it, or something?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wait a sec, is this some thing I'm unaware of? Is there a controversy over it, or something?

A lot of Star Wars fans - in my experience, possibly most fans - believe Luke planned the whole thing, as a daring escape.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hmm. I wanna hear that from an unbiased source.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
8-year-old me: "Why did he jump?"
Grandpa: "He put his faith in the Force to help him run away."

A decade later...

18-year-old me: "It really looks like he's trying to kill himself as a screw-you to Vader."
Grandpa: "He is strong in the Force and can see that things will work out fine if he takes the leap of faith." *begins talking at length about what the Force means to him*

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Renoistic posted:

So when Marvel does it it's a cliche, when DC does it it's a parody? It's pretty obvious they wanted to deflect the criticism MoS received.

It's very obvious that Snyder's heart isn't in it, too. "Oh yeah the docks are abandoned!" *Superman rockets down from low earth orbit and spikes Doomsday into a field of fuel vats which all simultaneously explode, filling the screen with a massive conflagration* "I guess they just keep a lot of fuel down here because...ah...it's dangerous I guess? "

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's very obvious that Snyder's heart isn't in it, too. "Oh yeah the docks are abandoned!" *Superman rockets down from low earth orbit and spikes Doomsday into a field of fuel vats which all simultaneously explode, filling the screen with a massive conflagration* "I guess they just keep a lot of fuel down here because...ah...it's dangerous I guess? "

Godzilla '14 pointedly does not do this, which I like a lot.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I thought the same thing when I saw it as a kid.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Snyder, the master satirist, made the bold move of parodying the entirety of Age of Ultron by making Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice aggressively mediocre.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A lot of Star Wars fans - in my experience, possibly most fans - believe Luke planned the whole thing, as a daring escape.

I've always seen it as him just wanting to get the hell away from Vader and not really thinking things through.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Renoistic posted:

I've always seen it as him just wanting to get the hell away from Vader and not really thinking things through.

Luke is a bit of a drama queen, but come on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Renoistic posted:

He thinks it through. There's a very definite pause after "Come with me. It is the only way."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The docks thing seemed like it was purposeful and fit into the plot. I feel that this part has gone through a game of telephone on the Internet.

It was "Batman, why the gently caress did you lead Doomsday to the city?" "Abandoned warehouse district honest." Pretty much the same as, "rubber bullets, honest."

Doomsday falling was "thank god he landed somewhere that didn't kill a million people after we launched that nuke at him."

I didn't hear the "city was evacuated because everyone was off of work" part, though. I assumed that Doomsday's first AOE thing just killed thousands of people by default.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I mean I don't want to put too fine a point on it but after attempting suicide he even falls to the point where he's literally dangling in between a world of clouds and a never-ending pit of darkness below

Like, he almost descends into hell--both in the way as he came close to turning to the dark side and also that he almost successfully killed himself

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

A decade later...

18-year-old me: "It really looks like he's trying to kill himself as a screw-you to Vader."
Grandpa: "He is strong in the Force and can see that things will work out fine if he takes the leap of faith." *begins talking at length about what the Force means to him*
Look at this rear end in a top hat, complaining that his grandfather had a long talk about Star Wars and the force with him. My grandpa didn't watch any drat fool space war movies.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Grandpa: "SHUT UP AND TURN THIS CRAP OFF"

A decade later...

Grandpa: *is dead*

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slugworth posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat, complaining that his grandfather had a long talk about Star Wars and the force with him. My grandpa didn't watch any drat fool space war movies.

Where's the complaint?

Rurea posted:

Grandpa: "SHUT UP AND TURN THIS CRAP OFF"

A decade later...

Grandpa: *is dead*

:(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I guess you also think that Ben committed suicide when he let Vader strike him down and Luke was also trying to commit suicide when he refused to strike Vader down in the Emperor's throne room?

Did you people even watch all three movies? The whole "Abandoning the path of aggression and surrendering yourself to the will of The Force" thing was a pretty strong theme throughout all of them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Darko posted:

I didn't hear the "city was evacuated because everyone was off of work" part, though. I assumed that Doomsday's first AOE thing just killed thousands of people by default.

I don't recall that either, even though i was looking out for it. I'm looking for the alleged quote, but keep getting wildly different quotes - as though nobody can remember it correctly.

Results range from "LUCKILY THE WORK DAY IS OVER SO ALL OF DOWNTOWN IS EMPTY", to a more moderate "the workday is over, the streets are empty"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess you also think that Ben committed suicide when he let Vader strike him down and Luke was also trying to commit suicide when he refused to strike Vader down in the Emperor's throne room?

Did you people even watch all three movies? The whole "Abandoning the path of aggression and surrendering yourself to the will of The Force" thing was a pretty strong theme throughout all of them.

Obi-Wan sees Luke watching, smirks and allows himself to be cut down. That's not abandoning agrression, it's passing the torch.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Just rewatched the scene (it's been 10+ years, OK?) and this theory sounds about right. He really doesn't look like someone who decides to off himself.

Also, WTH was Lucas thinking? (Watch the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbjru5CQIW4

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The line is read by Anderson Cooper while WW is still on the plane watching the carnage unfold.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You're not actually disagreeing.

“The reactionary suicide is ‘wise,’ and the revolutionary suicide is a ‘fool,’ a fool for the revolution in the way Paul meant when he spoke of being a ‘fool for Christ,’ That foolishness can move mountains of oppression; it is our great leap and our commitment to the dead and the unborn.”

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally, a third Star Wars thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Letting yourself get killed is suicide.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

What? Obi-Wan had no issue fighting Vader right before letting himself get killed to motivate Luke. Even in death, Obi-Wan urged Luke to kill Vader, not to turn away from aggression.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I don't recall that either, even though i was looking out for it. I'm looking for the alleged quote, but keep getting wildly different quotes - as though nobody can remember it correctly.

Results range from "LUCKILY THE WORK DAY IS OVER SO ALL OF DOWNTOWN IS EMPTY", to a more moderate "the workday is over, the streets are empty"

The line is: "This thing... emerged from the Kryptonian crash site just moments ago... Thankfully the workday is over and the downtown (next word I can't make out clearly) court/quarry/area is empty."

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 2, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

The line is: "This thing... emerged from the Krpytonian crash site just moments ago... Thankfully the workday is over and the downtown (next word I can't make out clearly) court/quarry/area is empty."

Slow news day, eh Anderson?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Slow news day, eh Anderson?

Anderson Cooper lives on nothing reporting.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

My own recollection is that it's closer to the latter, but both of those endpoints miss the important context that this is a workday in a fictionalized downtown Manhattan that we're talking about, so even if it's the moderate position where the streets don't have much traffic and most of the office buildings have turned off their lights for the evening, that represents an oddly utopian departure from real-world dynamics. It's a companion to the later announcement that, oh no, Doomsday has touched down on Riker's, but thankfully we closed that place down years ago, the implication that one of Clark's most important victories is putting some background momentum behind those kinds of unspoken reforms to the labor and criminal justice systems. One gets the sense that if they seek Clark's monument, they might give looking around them a try

Contrast this with what we see of the Man of Steel flashback at the start, wherein Wayne Enterprises employees are paralyzed in the face of Zod's devastation up until the moment where their literal CEO calls in and confirms that, yeah guys, it's fine if you take the rest of the day off. Contrast also with Captain America securing the Chitauri battleground in The Avengers by explaining to some cops the concepts of Forming a Perimeter and Evacuating Everyone, which leads into the equivalent Age of Ultron sequence where ungrateful Sokovians refuse such benevolent measures and have to be reasoned with in the language of terrorist threats and outright mind control

If Clark's presence leads to subtle societal shifts that dampen the scope of tragedies - not as many people died this time because we closed down Riker's and we stopped overworking people as much - the Avengers do the opposite. Not as many people died this time because we ramped up the severity, the explicitly coercive force, of our efforts to clear the area. That's the big difference between how Batman v Superman and Age of Ultron handle their respective "don't worry guys, nobody got hurt" scenes: one of them proposes that the presence of a superheroic figure might inspire us to reconfigure our societies such that catastrophic loss is less a part of the expected equation, while the other proposes that civilian populations might develop some kind of antibiotic resistance to requests to please not stand over here because we're about to blow the entire poo poo up

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How many gags about the events in BvS not killing people are there? I remember three: Anderson Cooper's line, the line about Strikers Island being uninhabited, and the line about the port of Gotham being abandoned. Did I miss any?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Unkempt posted:

I have never seen 'grimdark' used positively by anyone.

I'd like to point out this lovely little company called Games Workshop and their delightful assortment of miniature dolls.

Also, I swear by God, if you people spoil the end of the Star Wars thread for me I shall be very cross with y'all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anderson Cooper posted:

These are live images from atop the Lexcorp tower in downtown Metropolis. Military aircraft are on the scene. This .... thing ... emerged from the Kryptonian crash site just moments ago. Thankfully the workday is over and the downtown [core?] it's nearly empty.

Army personnel posted:

- Projectile one, impact Strykers island, east of Metropolis
- That's uninhabited

quote:

Wonder Woman - Why did you bring him back to the city?
Batman - The port is abandoned, there's a weapon here that can kill it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

That's the big difference between how Batman v Superman and Age of Ultron handle their respective "don't worry guys, nobody got hurt" scenes: one of them proposes that the presence of a superheroic figure might inspire us to reconfigure our societies such that catastrophic loss is less a part of the expected equation, while the other proposes that civilian populations might develop some kind of antibiotic resistance to requests to please not stand over here because we're about to blow the entire poo poo up

"90% of people believe in a higher power and every religion believes in some sort of messianic figure.. and when this "savior"* character actually comes to Earth we want to make him abide by our rules? We have to understand this is a paradigm shift, we have to start thinking beyond politics."

*Pundit uses air quotes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Equeen posted:

What? Obi-Wan had no issue fighting Vader right before letting himself get killed to motivate Luke. Even in death, Obi-Wan urged Luke to kill Vader, not to turn away from aggression.
He was delaying Vader, not trying to kill him. Also his line in ROTJ was "You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again." Luke assumes he means that he has to kill Vader and Obi Wan doesn't correct him.

Letting yourself get killed is suicide.
Luckily that's not what happened to Obi Wan. :ssh:

Edit: oh poo poo, it just occurred to me that people might only be familiar with the Special Editions where Lucas edited in a scream when Luke fell at the end of Empire.

LUCAS!!! :argh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 2, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

I'd like to point out this lovely little company called Games Workshop and their delightful assortment of miniature dolls.

They use the phrase "grim darkness" in their marketing slogan, which is what "grimdark" is specifically mocking. Not really a great example.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

The line is: "This thing... emerged from the Kryptonian crash site just moments ago... Thankfully the workday is over and the downtown (next word I can't make out clearly) court/quarry/area is empty."

Well hold on; that makes perfect sense. The Ground Zero memorial is a huge park in the middle of the city's financial district, and it is clearly empty - unlike earlier scenes that show lots of people wandering around.

The buildings are obviously not empty, and that's why Batman makes an effort to lure the creature away.

And the abandoned dockyard was set up earlier; it's the place Batman specifically chose to set up dozens of traps without being noticed, and where he could fight Superman while endangering few people.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Well hold on; that makes perfect sense. The Ground Zero memorial is a huge park in the middle of the city's financial district, and it is clearly empty - unlike earlier scenes that show lots of people wandering around.

The buildings are obviously not empty, and that's why Batman makes an effort to lure the creature away.

Doomsday is standing on LexCorp tower when the line is spoken (Shot is of Gal Gadot looking at the in flight tv news feed).

• Locked thread