Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Her intent was that my sister would be able to legally buy and consume her own drink as a societal freedom milestone. Your first legal drink at age 21 is typically a celebrated thing.

The irony is that my mom's a recovered alcoholic and hasn't had any alcohol since the 80's anyway, which paints a precious picture of her chastely enjoying a sweet tea while my sister boozed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Reminds me when I went out to a bar with my best mate last year. We're in Australia, so the legal drinking age is 18. We're both pushing 30 and I'm married, and was bummed by how loving stupid everyone was. All these idiot young people being 18 and retarded. Were we ever this loving stupid, back then?

Yes, yes we were.

Edit: But when we did it it was awesome. :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I work in a kindergarten with 4-6 Yeats olds. Some things I've heard in the last few days:
"I'm an ugly poop! I'm an ugly poop! I'm an ugly poop!"

"I hate the government and I hate tax evasion."

"That tree is about 1020cm. Because I am 113,31cm and it is about ten times my height."

"I am nothing"

Sponch
Jun 4, 2006

i dunno lol
The baby I watch is really into looking at her baby animal book while she points to the various farm animals and makes the corresponding sound. One day she brought over her big brother's Zombie Survival Guide book, pointed to the zombie on the cover, and went "UUUUUUUUUURGGGHGHGHGGHH!"

Yes, kiddo, that IS what the zombie says :kimchi:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

My cousin's almost-3 year-old:
"The planets go around the sun but I can open this banana."

(To destroy the profoundness of the statement: his working theory is that she was patiently repeating the scientific information, but was really more interested in eating the banana :3: )

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Teketeketeketeke posted:

My cousin's almost-3 year-old:
"The planets go around the sun but I can open this banana."

(To destroy the profoundness of the statement: his working theory is that she was patiently repeating the scientific information, but was really more interested in eating the banana :3: )
I don't see any planets opening bananas, do you? :colbert:

I was told these two stories about my (autistic) 8yo at his IEP meeting yesterday:

1. When his gym class did archery, he put great effort into paying attention to the directions and doing everything correctly. Meanwhile, the girl behind him was goofing around and didn't know what to do. He turned around and said severely "Did you fail to listen to the instructions?"

2. A teacher was working with him on showing his work in math class instead of just writing the answer. "But I just know the answer!" he protested. She explained that while his brain may get there fast, hers needed to understand the process by steps, and she needed him to explain each step of how he got to the answer so she would know what he was doing. He sighed irritably and said "Stupid people are annoying!"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

pookel posted:

1. When his gym class did archery, he put great effort into paying attention to the directions and doing everything correctly. Meanwhile, the girl behind him was goofing around and didn't know what to do. He turned around and said severely "Did you fail to listen to the instructions?"

Your son is great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pookel posted:

I don't see any planets opening bananas, do you? :colbert:

I was told these two stories about my (autistic) 8yo at his IEP meeting yesterday:

2. A teacher was working with him on showing his work in math class instead of just writing the answer. "But I just know the answer!" he protested. She explained that while his brain may get there fast, hers needed to understand the process by steps, and she needed him to explain each step of how he got to the answer so she would know what he was doing. He sighed irritably and said "Stupid people are annoying!"

Like an irritable Spock.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

pookel posted:

"Did you fail to listen to the instructions?"

"Stupid people are annoying!"

Your son sounds exactly like mine (also on the spectrum).

My daughter (then 7) was going off on a rant about climate change, how she hates people who wreck the environment and animals will go extinct and the Earth will get warmer and there's pollution and acid rain and no more trees and... and... and. The boy (then 10) looked at her and said, "You know, there IS such a thing a noise pollution".

Another time, my mum took the daughter out for the day, so my son and I spent the day doing stuff together. Late in the day:
Son: "What time will (sister) be home?"
Me: "About 7."
Son: (looks at the clock) "Then we have 50 minutes to pack and get out of here."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My brother and I were helping our nephews (sons of our third brother) build some legos, and :bahgawd: they were keeping count. Every time one of us got behind, they were like "Unca, your brother is better than you are!"

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Dekenai posted:

Another time, my mum took the daughter out for the day, so my son and I spent the day doing stuff together. Late in the day:
Son: (looks at the clock) "Then we have 50 minutes to pack and get out of here."

:allears:

To be fair to your son, my Dad and I have that same conversation re: my mother every time we're together.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dekenai posted:

Your son is brilliant.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

pookel posted:

His older brother just corrected me on this - he actually said "I see you have failed to listen to the instructions."

He also told me that the girl next to him in archery (I don't know if this is the same girl) also has a brother in fifth grade, like he does, and she wears blue glasses like he does, and they are also her fourth pair of glasses, just like his! (I thought, "and she's on the spectrum just like you!" although maybe I shouldn't assume that about every detail-oriented child.) I asked him if he knew her name and he just stared at me blankly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They're not using real arrows, right? We weren't allowed to do archery until high school, and someone still managed to shoot himself with an arrow.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
How many other spectrum patents are on here anyhow?

My 10yo is getting preteen on us and suddenly she's not so cute with the things she's saying. She told my wife to shut up for the first time ever last week. Fun!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My aunt just recounted this one about my 7-year-old niece:

Niece: "There was this really bad guy, Pot Head....."
Aunt: "Pot Head??"
"You know mom, the guy in Cambodia?"
Uncle, struggling not to laugh: "Pol Pot??"
"Yeah, that guy...."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Chamale posted:

They're not using real arrows, right? We weren't allowed to do archery until high school, and someone still managed to shoot himself with an arrow.
Yeah, they're some kind of safety arrows. I asked if they had the suction cups on the end and he said no, but that they were "practice arrows." He hit the target 100% of the time and was so proud of himself. :3:

I would guess there are a lot of spectrum parents on SA, because big goons beget little goons.

ETA another funny story: Last night 8-year-old and a 5-year-old friend were playing in his room with the door shut. 11-year-old threw open the door and shouted "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" as our little lhasa apso bounced in and jumped on them, as he knew she would. :3:

The Fearsome Hound herself:

pookel has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Apr 17, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My 5 year old nephew was sick last week, so he stayed home from school. On the last day he was feeling a bit better so his mother took him to a restaurant for lunch.

He knows that his grandmother goes to that same restaurant a lot, so when he got home he insisted they had to call her so he could tell her about something new he tried for lunch and how much he liked it.

She thought his mother made him call to hint that she wanted a babysitter for dinner time, but apparently it was all his idea because he knew grandma likes it there and wanted to talk to her about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pookel posted:

To be fair, I'm not on the spectrum and used to get pretty annoyed having to show my work in grade school math too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"Why does your mouth sound like a wizard when you say hello to her?"

Evidently he thinks a bad cockney accent is a Wizard Accent. I told him it was a habit, I didn't have the stones to tell him the somewhat-complicated somewhat-:smith: origin for why I greet random friends with a bad cockney "ello, darlin'".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
STUDENT A: "Student B and Student C got hosed by a dog."
ME: "Excuse me?"
STUDENT A: "Student B and Student C, a dog hosed them."
ME: "YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS."
STUDENT A: "It's okay, he's really small."

Turns out one of the freshmen had brought a puppy to school...and this is how we learrned the phrase "humped by."

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
You need to write a book about this. Seriously every post is amazing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Stairs posted:

You need to write a book about this. Seriously every post is amazing.

ME: "Okay, look at picture A."

ME: "This is Jill; she has a problem. What do you think her problem is?"
TOM: "She is the grandmother of God."
(He meant "fortune-teller.")

Also, one of his classmates wrote an essay about how she plans to start a restaurant called Fart Family Restaurant.

I LOVE my job.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
Today I went to my sisters apartment to give my dog to her as I'm moving away out of my parents home, and I saw my nephew (3 years old) and he began to wrap a granola bar in toilet paper or paper towel, whatever it was it was paper, and he just said to me,

" Diaper the bar. "

Incredible. :derptiel:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My boss took her sons fishing. They had meal worms as bait.

Her three year old had some in his hands and said "they're my friends!"

A couple minutes later she looks over and he's eating something and she says "what are you eating?"

"My friends!"

this fukkin kid

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Four year old at work today, twirling around and watching her little brother copy her:

"This baby does what I do!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Astrofig posted:

Four year old at work today, twirling around and watching her little brother copy her:

"This baby does what I do!"

When my daughter went to visit her mother's family a while back, she was warned that her younger cousin would probably copy her, so she should be patient with him.

"That means I can control him!"

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
While at work the other day, I heard a kid gleefully proclaim "Mummy's a fat melon :haw:". His mother wasn't amused.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From a Facebook friend:

quote:

Me to [kid] after the 4th time I dumped a bowl of water that was sitting on the floor in his room:
"Your kitty is imaginary, and therefore it drinks imaginary water. Real water makes messes and makes real mamas angry."

[Kid]: "I don't have any imaginary water! I really did look for it everywhere!"

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My bfs niece is 5 and had some maths questions for her smart engineer uncle when they skyped this morning
"Is zero a number?"
"If circles have 360 degrees, how many degrees does a person have?"

I don't know :ohdear:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The non sequitur pieces of information are a regular occurrence around here, but this one struck me as particularly funny for some reason:

Me: OK, can you check if the water is the right temperature for your bath?
8yo: Cesium is very expensive. Did you know that it costs up to $22 a gram? :colbert:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

pookel posted:

8yo: Cesium is very expensive. Did you know that it costs up to $22 a gram? :colbert:
I do now!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

pookel posted:

The non sequitur pieces of information are a regular occurrence around here, but this one struck me as particularly funny for some reason:

Me: OK, can you check if the water is the right temperature for your bath?

poo poo, I knew a guy who got that much for weed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Doing an activity in class where they have to practice giving advice. One student presents a situation, asks two other students for advice, and awards a piece of candy to whoever gives the best suggestion. It was going really well- once I made a rule that "kill yourself" isn't acceptable as advice- and then this happened:

STUDENT 1: "My friend's grandmother died and I want to make him feel better. How can I help him?"
S2: "You should do his grandmother!"

It turns out, he meant "be his grandmother"...I'm not sure which suggestion is better. Or worse. So they learned some English slang that day. After we finished cracking up, S3 raised her hand:

S3: "Hey, bringmyfishback?"
ME: 'Yeah?"
S3: "I have advice for S2."
ME: "Okay, go ahead."
S3: "After that...you should kill yourself."
S2: "Yeah, okay, I think so, too."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"I'm going to put a ring on her when she falls asleep watching TV with me an' take it off before she wakes up and she'll get used to having a ring on so when I give her a ring she'll want to marry me."

The 5yo boy we babysit's plan to marry my girlfriend. I'm not sure if this kid is insane or a genius.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was dressed up as Batman for Free Comic Book Day on Saturday. Taking pictures with cute kids makes me smile. At least two 7-8 year old kids reminded me that Batman doesn't smile.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
For a while we had a really attractive babysitter. One day, after watching the kids, I was about to drive her back to her dorm and my son asks if she can stay with us.

I tell him no, she needs to go back to her place with all of her stuff, and besides she doesnt have a bed here, where would she sleep?

He says "she can sleep in my bed with me daddy!"

I really wanted to high five him but his mom was nearby.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

I was dressed up as Batman for Free Comic Book Day on Saturday. Taking pictures with cute kids makes me smile. At least two 7-8 year old kids reminded me that Batman doesn't smile.

I hope you said "well, he's not not supposed to have a gun either".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What? I just told them I smile all the time, I just normally don't let people see it because I have a reputation to uphold. A three year old told me her favorite color is purple, and I said that was my favorite too, but it doesn't match my cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

A three year old told me her favorite color is purple, and I said that was my favorite too, but it doesn't match my cape.
:3:
pyf poo poo Batmans say.