Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Lethemonster posted:

Do you want them to be able to fly in it or to clank around on the floor confused terrified within an inch of their life?

Fixed. Though I admit, I'd like to see more progress on that sculpting experiment, looking awesome so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lethemonster posted:

Do you want them to be able to fly in it or to clank around on the floor confused?

I want them to survive crashing into windows.

And also crash through the window and do righteous battle

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I want them to survive crashing into windows.

And also crash through the window and do righteous battle

The bad news is the crash-resistant armor is too heavy to fly in.

The goods news is that we can just install some auxiliary engines on the armor to compensate!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

UK Goons, for primers, which ones do you recommend from Halfords? My current can of Modelmates is running low and I wouldn't mind trying a new one.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Flipswitch posted:

UK Goons, for primers, which ones do you recommend from Halfords? My current can of Modelmates is running low and I wouldn't mind trying a new one.

There's 2 types at Halfords: Primer and Plastic Primer get the "Plastic" one:

The cans look the same so make sure it has plastic written on it. I've used the grey and white ones and they work great, no idea on black though as I don't use black primer any more.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've never used the one specifically for plastic, just "matte black"

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TTerrible posted:

I've never used the one specifically for plastic, just "matte black"

Some of their primers contain filler which pretty much clogs all detail on a model. So maybe they do 3 types of spray then, like I said I don't use black primer. Definitely don't buy these ones:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-filler-primer-500ml

The can's look identical too, and in my local Halfords they're usually mixed together. I bought a white one once that had to have a nice long bath in Fairy Power Spray afterwards.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

LazyAngel posted:

Due to a (bad) idea I had when somewhat under the influence, I've embarked on my first bit of real sculpting - customising a new mount for my KoW Berserker Lord...

Posing on the mighty steed (as it was when it arrived);

Armoured chestplate progress;

Started on the leather strapping;

After the leather's done and cured, I'll be attaching 'pauldrons' which splay out from the chestplate, and modelling on a helmet and gorget, as well as some more bits around the saddle and legs.

this poo poo right here is kickin' fuckin' rad

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

richyp posted:

Some of their primers contain filler which pretty much clogs all detail on a model. So maybe they do 3 types of spray then, like I said I don't use black primer. Definitely don't buy these ones:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-filler-primer-500ml

The can's look identical too, and in my local Halfords they're usually mixed together. I bought a white one once that had to have a nice long bath in Fairy Power Spray afterwards.

I don't use it any more either but it sounds like I got lucky. I had no idea :gonk:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I use Halfords "Matte Black" for metal and resin. The one time I tried their plastic primer I was unhappy with the result.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I use black primer for some projects, grey for others. Looks like this is the one:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-matt-black-paint-500ml

Cheers dudes.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah I use black primer for some projects, grey for others. Looks like this is the one:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-matt-black-paint-500ml

Cheers dudes.

Yeah that one's fine it's just a standard acrylic spray paint as opposed to primer maybe that's why others have had luck with it not clogging details unlike the primer variant I mentioned earlier.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Ashcans posted:

The bad news is the crash-resistant armor is too heavy to fly in.

The goods news is that we can just install some auxiliary engines on the armor to compensate!

No engines planned I'm afraid; I'm just assuming that dwarf-bred battlefinches are strong enough to take the weight...

Still need to finish harness straps, then tweak the saddle (as the dwarf doesn't sit right now, after the rings/strapping), then do the helmet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I haven't painted a full mini in about 12 years and I wasn't very good to begin with. Still a WIP since I need to tidy up and do some highlights on the pants.

Any tips? I still need to do the highlights for the pants/shoes and do the base, but I'm more or less happy since I'm aiming for it to just look good when I'm playing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
FYI, paint/primer with "Plastic" in the name usually has a solvent in it which causes the paint to bond with the plastic on a molecular level. You will not be able to strip this paint from a plastic model, should you wish to at a later date.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Tekopo posted:

I haven't painted a full mini in about 12 years and I wasn't very good to begin with. Still a WIP since I need to tidy up and do some highlights on the pants.

Any tips? I still need to do the highlights for the pants/shoes and do the base, but I'm more or less happy since I'm aiming for it to just look good when I'm playing.

Looks good as it is, if you wanted to add a couple more little extras you could try some of the following but they're only ideas:

- Maybe add another much smaller and lighter blue highlight to the blue areas. You could mix either a small amount of white or flesh colour to the lightest blue you've used and apply it to the inner light blue areas very sparingly to make the blue pop a bit more.
- On the same lines, the red stitches on the blue lack a bit of contrast, you could do the same trick as above and use either neat flesh or flesh + red and add a small amount to the inner part of the stitches to make them stand out a bit more against the blue. Obviously the neat flesh colour will be much lighter so I'd try red+flesh first.
- Might be the lighting but the green hat looks a bit flat ,maybe (I'm sound like a broken record now :) ) a bit of flesh mixed with the green for some edge highlights around the top edge of the hat.

These are all pretty much last stage highlights for me but I think they might help boost the contrast a little bit.

berzerkmonkey posted:

FYI, paint/primer with "Plastic" in the name usually has a solvent in it which causes the paint to bond with the plastic on a molecular level. You will not be able to strip this paint from a plastic model, should you wish to at a later date.

I've been able to scrape the primer off with my finger nail at least. I guess I've just had bad luck with the regular primer and better luck with the plastic. A few years ago the first time I used the non-plastic one I had this happen:

(I washed it with sepia to make the damage more obvious). After googling it at the time I came across a modelling forum thread that had people arguing that halfords plastic primer was good and normal was bad and other people saying plastic primer was bad and normal was good.

My advice, try either/both on a test model first.

richyp fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 3, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

:eyepop:
Ok, I don't know what they put in the paint over there, but that's insane. I have only seen damage like that on foam that's been hit by spray paint. Is that plastic or Finecast?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That comes from improperly set primer. Either the can wasn't mixed well, or weather conditions caused it to set frothed up. It isn't holes eaten into the plastic, but bubbles in the primer layer itself. Usually it's rock hard too, and you can't strip it easily.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

:eyepop:
Ok, I don't know what they put in the paint over there, but that's insane. I have only seen damage like that on foam that's been hit by spray paint. Is that plastic or Finecast?

They were Finecast (best oxymoron ever).

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That comes from improperly set primer. Either the can wasn't mixed well, or weather conditions caused it to set frothed up. It isn't holes eaten into the plastic, but bubbles in the primer layer itself. Usually it's rock hard too, and you can't strip it easily.

Might very well have been the case, it wasn't possible for me to fix at all. Power spray that I normally bathe stuff in pretty much lifts paint off a mini, but this wouldn't brush off either. It may have been a poo poo can of spray as I doubt is was the weather. As I primed the first batch of the Necrons the same day in an old can of Skull White (it ran out hence the switch to the other can for the last few minis) and they turned out ok. I may also be misremembering exactly as it was a few years ago and I've slept since then.

This guy was finecast too and primed on the same day but with a different can, he didn't have the weird pitting so perhaps it was a lovely batch of paint v0v.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is why I just use a brush on gesso primer. All the ways that spraycans seem to gently caress up vastly outweighs the any advantages they seem to have.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ashcans posted:

This is why I just use a brush on gesso vallejo primer. All the ways that spraycans seem to gently caress up vastly outweighs the any advantages they seem to have.

Agreed. Just add an airbrush.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Luckily in the last 30 or so years that Necron was the only really bad priming incident I've had besides having to wait for the weather to sort itself out, and even then I just spray outside and bring the models indoors to dry.

I've toyed with the idea of getting an airbrush (I even "badgered" :downsrim: Krushgroove about it over PM) but I'll probably end up getting one in a few years when my son is old enough not to destroy anything in reach (and he's tall now for just turned 3). My nerd cave RIP in is about to be knocked through into the kitchen relegating me to my office until the rest of the extension's finished and there's no space up there for a spraying setup.

That is unless anyone has any ideas for a quickly hideable setup like I have for my current painting station and audio gear, that lets me just throw the airbrush in cleaner at the drop of a hat and box everything up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

This is why I just use a brush on gesso primer. All the ways that spraycans seem to gently caress up vastly outweighs the any advantages they seem to have.

Eh, I've never had a problem in over 20 years of using Krylon, except issues with priming in humid weather, but that's my fault. My only spray complaints were the time I switched to Army Painter - that stuff went on way too thick for 6mm models. I had to strip an entire army down, thereby wasting both time and money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I'm at a bit of a conundrum.

I bought a bunch of tyranids from somebody else who was getting rid of them for super cheap, and figured I'd just have them around and maybe add to them later on, maybe clean the paints off if I really want to. But his paint jobs were pretty good and I actually kinda like the scheme, its a black-silver body (looks kinda like a xenomorph) with red/black shells (and red is my favorite color) so I decided I might stick to that scheme. So I did a few termagaunts up trying to match to the existing colors and I did a pretty good job, I think they fit in perfect. So I could do a bunch more like that and expand the army.

However, as I worked on them... I kinda become disillusioned with the color scheme. I'm also collecting chaos marines right now, and they're red and gold, and I love that. But now I've got red and gold and red and silver and it just feels a little samey? There's less contrast if I pit them against each other, although I guess it identifies both as being my armies and if I'm playing against somebody else's figures rather than letting a friend borrow one of mine, then that doesn't matter.

Thing is, tyranids can look good with really weird organic and bright colors that don't necessarily work on space marines. I wouldn't want purple space marines but purple tyranids look pretty cool, same with like bright orange or blue.

So now I'm thinking about painting some gaunts in a test scheme of orange/blue or purple/brown to really look different and organic and contrast my red/gold chaos marines. But thinking about cleaning the paint off all these guys... its pretty daunting.

I guess what I'll do is I'll finish painting the chaos marines that I haven't yet, and then come back to it and decide if I really want to clean the paint off or if I can live with it and just keep painting the rest to match. Anybody got any tips or advise?

Maybe I'll do one gaunt as orange/blue and one as purple/brown (plenty of gaunts to spare) and then post all three and ask which looks better?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Citadel primer isn't one of these is it? :ohdear:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, the only plastic that breaks has Visa or MasterCard printed on it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

richyp posted:

:vince:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't want purple space marines...
:getout:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

It's a fair statement, although "purple" is overspecifying and could be removed. :buddy:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

These 3rd Street Saints Marines aren't gonna go around in blue, after all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

richyp posted:

lmao

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's a fair statement, although "purple" is overspecifying and could be removed. :buddy:

Yeah I'm not really in a rush to have space marines period, but even then I'd probably make them red or green or something, not purple.

Sorry Fulgrim.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm at a bit of a conundrum.

I guess what I'll do is I'll finish painting the chaos marines that I haven't yet, and then come back to it and decide if I really want to clean the paint off or if I can live with it and just keep painting the rest to match. Anybody got any tips or advise?

I'm probably biased because I played Tyranids in 2nd Ed and painted them like the Codex but back then each type had it's own different colors. Termagants were orange with bone carapaces and green weapons. Hormagaunts were blue with orange fleshy bits and black claws.

I liked the look of army before they switched over to the 3rd Ed schemes where each Hive Fleet had uniform colors. I'd leave the painted stuff painted and just do new schemes for new models. It was way more fun than painting a huge army in a uniform scheme. It's also why I picked up Eldar as my next army.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I'm probably biased because I played Tyranids in 2nd Ed and painted them like the Codex but back then each type had it's own different colors. Termagants were orange with bone carapaces and green weapons. Hormagaunts were blue with orange fleshy bits and black claws.

I liked the look of army before they switched over to the 3rd Ed schemes where each Hive Fleet had uniform colors. I'd leave the painted stuff painted and just do new schemes for new models. It was way more fun than painting a huge army in a uniform scheme. It's also why I picked up Eldar as my next army.

That was another idea, just kinda paint new models different but leave the existing ones as-is and maybe try slooooowly repainting them over time.

I'm kinda OCD about having things match though, I could go with a scheme where they had the same bodies but different plate colors based on units, but having different units of the same type with different color schemes or just having two mismatched color schemes overall bothers me sorta. Even if nobody cares... :spegin:

I guess I'll paint up those alternative test 'gaunts like I was saying, and if they come out bad I'll stick to the existing scheme, but if I love them then I'll paint all my new 'nids that way and then either leave the old ones as-is or slowly try stripping the paint off them a few at a time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

No. It's only the special "formulated for plastic" paints like Krylon Fusion.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

An afternoon spent with a glue gun, some cork coasters and the bits box

Muted colours as its going to have a fairly bright thing on it, and I'll probably add to it once the main model is finished, but happy with the way it turned out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nice of someone to pile up those chunks of tarmac.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
How else are you going to get to that creamy nougat center copper piping you can sell to go buy drugs?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its tarmacplascrete actually

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted my Pirate Gorman finally. This was an exclusive alt sculpt given to Press Gangers awhile back. He's a pirate, so I made him gaudy/fancy compared to his usual matte black look.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
^^ Cool pirate bro

After going to Warhammer World and seeing/playing Heresy games in action, I'm finally diving in with my Ultramarines:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those Ultramarines own hard. I feel like they need one more spot color though. Do heresy era marines have the whole system of different colored helmets for leaders? That would help.