Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No good reason, but it looks to me like it's licensed to Virtual Programming which is probably the legal reason why it's on the App Store rather than Steam. Current generation Mac and Linux ports are now done in-house which is a much better situation for players.

Ugh I forgot about that whole arrangement. It was a nightmare getting any sort of tech support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I think a cool feature would be if you capture more advanced weapons from a nation you annex you get a small research bonus towards them. Like if you annex a country with Jets, you should get like +15% in jet related research, if you capture any.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
https://twitter.com/PDX_Dev_Studio/status/727142970844127232

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finally, we can have NATO counters in EU4, CK2, and Stellaris.

And maybe get the NATO counters in HOI4 to work on their pushups.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I'm expecting Star Trek/Wars models for Stellaris day 1

quote:

Is there something similar for other software besides Maya, such as Blender?
Unfortunately not at this time. It's an addon for Maya. But we will be releasing our .mesh format so that anyone willing and with the skills can write an exporter for other software, like blender.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 2, 2016

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Do the Homeworld counters count as NATO counters?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Interesting, it says it is only partially compatible with EU4 and CK2. I'm guessing they changed the format slightly with HOI4 and Stellaris?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

They couldn't come up with a better acronym and also put their streaming on a different day of the week that isn't already covered by HOI4? :v:

Also, is there like a current primer for who is a goon at Paradox? Ones I know off the top of my head:

Johan
Podcat
Darkrenown
Wiz
Doomdark
cKnoor
Groogy

I know I'm missing a couple. Is DDRJake a goon?

Isn't Trin Tragula of "This day in WWI" fame also on the EU4 team? I thought I saw his name pop up in one of the latest dev diaries.
If so, I like to think that Vicky III will have really good flavour text.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tuskin38 posted:

Interesting, it says it is only partially compatible with EU4 and CK2. I'm guessing they changed the format slightly with HOI4 and Stellaris?
I expect it was built from the ground up with more detailed options for the new releases. Like in the Stellaris example, there's all sorts of trimming you can define on the ship to determine where weapon animations fire from and where enemies target. While also seeming somewhat modular (or as modular as the game is looking for with the ship designer)

Compared with EU4 or CK2 where I wouldn't be surprised to hear you are limited to things that are in the same general shape as a man with a spear or musket, or a boat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nine of Eight posted:

Isn't Trin Tragula of "This day in WWI" fame also on the EU4 team? I thought I saw his name pop up in one of the latest dev diaries.
If so, I like to think that Vicky III will have really good flavour text.

I've never seen our Trin post in this thread and the name is a Hitchiker's Guide reference so it's likely they're different people.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Paradox really is the best game company.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Finally, we can have NATO counters in EU4, CK2, and Stellaris.

And maybe get the NATO counters in HOI4 to work on their pushups.

So.eone make a mod in hoi4 where all the units are 3d nato counters with arms and legs

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Did the Warsaw Pact not have standardized symbology like NATO? I went looking for joke purposes and couldn't find much.

edit: Pdox should make period-accurate cumbersome symbologies the standard and charge $19.99 for NATO counters
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 2, 2016

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Did the Warsaw Pact not have standardized symbology like NATO? I went looking for joke purposes and couldn't find much.

Not sure about the Warsaw Pact, but Germany during WWII had a system I've seen a couple times where tanks are empty rhombuses, infantry are empty squares, and they all have little flags coming out of them to show unit size. It's horribly complex, incredibly difficult to read, and basically is the opposite of what a good symbology set should be.

If they really want to spite the NATO people, Paradox should make that system the only counter option and justify it based on historical accuracy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Here you go:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-INwTd59Ihow/UvvhX2ZDdZI/AAAAAAAAA2s/b8uyZbnH_XM/s1600/soviet-map-symbols-sms.jpg

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Amazing how this thread keeps bitching about people who want NATO counters like some loving boogeyman.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Amazing how this thread keeps bitching about people who want NATO counters like some loving boogeyman.

There's bitching, then there's standard goon poo poo talking. :regd08:

Lots of time left though, still funny though keep it up guys.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Me and the Balkanic nationalist sirs on the Paradox forum, the finest specimens of the Slavic race: I'd like a traditional system to mark units on this strategy game that has been successfully used on other games of the series before.

Degenerate american and western european scum on this thread: OHHH YOU WANT NATO COUNTERS YOU WANT NATO COUNTERS YOU PROBABLY WANT THIS MONKEY CHEESE RHOMBUS WITH FLAG!!! STOP MELTING DOWN ABOUT THOSE COUNTERS!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Didn't operation flashpoint use Warsaw counters? They look really familiar.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't operation flashpoint use Warsaw counters? They look really familiar.

I only remember playing the first one, but no, it did not:

Usually the maps had a 'hand drawn' aesthetic about them since you were supposed to be a single soldier quickly jotting things down on a map. Maybe the later ones changed it up? I don't think I've ever played them though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It would sort of make sense if it had because although you're playing as the Americans the game was developed by Czechs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually leaned nato counters via Flashpoint/Arma !

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

We have a four-day weekend here in Germany this weekend because of a holiday on Thursday and everyone taking Friday off. Why couldn't Stellaris have been released a few days earlier :negative:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drone posted:

We have a four-day weekend here in Germany this weekend because of a holiday on Thursday and everyone taking Friday off. Why couldn't Stellaris have been released a few days earlier :negative:

Because it's Father's Day and you are supposed to wear a silly t-shirt and get drunk somewhere outside and Sunday is Mother's Day, where you are supposed to visit your mother and not play some silly game.

Also: Because it's not HoI4

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

At least Pfingsten is the week after release. This is a pretty confusing month anyway, new D3 season, Stellaris, Overwatch all in May.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Also doom

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

blackmongoose posted:

Not sure about the Warsaw Pact, but Germany during WWII had a system I've seen a couple times where tanks are empty rhombuses, infantry are empty squares, and they all have little flags coming out of them to show unit size. It's horribly complex, incredibly difficult to read, and basically is the opposite of what a good symbology set should be.

If they really want to spite the NATO people, Paradox should make that system the only counter option and justify it based on historical accuracy.

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=43

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

It looks like they had three different versions over the years. I don't think it would be right to use them unless all of my motorized weather platoons got their fancy new map symbols in '41 and '43.

Personally, I think the NATO symbols are more fun because they come with a little formula that lets you mash them together to invent your own units like some sort of military alchemy

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

It looks like they had three different versions over the years. I don't think it would be right to use them unless all of my motorized weather platoons got their fancy new map symbols in '41 and '43.

Personally, I think the NATO symbols are more fun because they come with a little formula that lets you mash them together to invent your own units like some sort of military alchemy

Someone will mod it, I'm sure.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

How long do you think it will be before someone mods in period appropriate counters with giant breasts and big floppy penises that shoot jism at eat other during combat? Remember, your answer is going to have a profound influence on my pre-order.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
It will be made but I'll remove it from the workshop because I am a horrible person.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groogy posted:

It will be made but I'll remove it from the workshop because I am a horrible person.
Don't censor Giger reborn, you horrible prude.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Whew it just hit me that one month from tomorrow is HOI4-day

:swoon:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Groogy posted:

political correctness gone mad

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

your NATO counter-bias is showing, shitlord

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blackmongoose posted:

so it was perfect for germany is what you're saying

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm gonna quote this here because I know some people that play EU4 read this thread and not the EU4 one and I spent forever on this:

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

e: thanks Paradox devs by the way for making it super easy to tie these to the Asian graphics. I thought I'd have to have them overwrite the Euro portraits and toggle it on/off whenever I played an Asian team but it was pretty effortless to get it to work great :)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Koramei posted:

I'm gonna quote this here because I know some people that play EU4 read this thread and not the EU4 one and I spent forever on this:

e: thanks Paradox devs by the way for making it super easy to tie these to the Asian graphics. I thought I'd have to have them overwrite the Euro portraits and toggle it on/off whenever I played an Asian team but it was pretty effortless to get it to work great :)

These are fantastic. Thanks for doing this.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Gone mad, I say!

I'm gonna regret making this, aren't I? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Koramei posted:

Holy crap those are neat.

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm gonna regret making this, aren't I? :(

If you cut that down to avatar sized maybe we'll forgive you. ;)