Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Someone post Alexis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alexis

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh her name is Asuka

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And here she is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fPsMP3UVmg

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Dabir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjqQSAfD_bU
Found the official music video for OP 4 and am kind of disappointed that it's not yet another dorky sentai parody.

Wait, you don't skip pass the OPs right away?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone post Alexis

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slur posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Slur posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is a good image

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

:henget:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, now I remember what she did on GX.

nothing and boobs

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So, the city in the Fusion Dimension looks like Venice.

In GX, Venice was Crowler's favorite place.

And in BBT, Jaden went to Venice for seemingly no reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Now that I think about it, Maiami, Heartland, Neo Domino/The City and Fusion Town are all probably the same place on each earth, they're all coast cities that have a metropolitan area and are surrounded by a larger city that's got more trees and nature going on.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

According to the episode summaries, we might be getting some new Amazoness monsters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find it hilarious how this week's Arc-V seems to try really hard to hide Edo's identity when:
1) he's the only person to talk like that in the entire franchise
2) he's the only person to use his archetype
3) his existence has been spoiled pretty drat hard by not only outside material, but by the drat opening, where he isn't silhouetted like the YGO openings tend to do for spoilers

Also Dark Requiem Xyz Dragon is cool as hell and its attack looked goddamn beautiful. I'm not entirely sure how the hell a Rank-Up Magic got into Yuya's deck, but I'm willing to just accept anime on that one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yuya's neck-pendulum thingy has been magicking cards into existence since episode 1.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Remember when everyone called him out for using magic bullshit to cheat way back in the second episode? Good times. :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm more concerned that we have a Rank-Up-Magic without Force in its name.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VJeff posted:

I'm more concerned that we have a Rank-Up-Magic without Force in its name.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rank-Up-Magic_Admiration_of_the_Thousands
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rank-Up-Magic_Quick_Chaos
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Rank-Up-Magic_-_The_Seventh_One

:v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Everybody knows Zexal isn't real.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

that stained-glass skeleton dragon is good as hell

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Since everyone's been making this crazy Arc-V thing sound fun, I've decided to rewatch Yugioh from the beginning! I've elected to watch the dubs as much as possible because the subs for most of the older shows take more than zero effort to find, unlike the dubs.

ANYHOO, I marathoned Duelist Kingdom the last couple of days, and wow, I had forgotten how every single duel in that arc had its own super special rules with almost no consistency. Flying monsters resist ground monsters in this duel but none of the others! Field Power Bonus provides resistance to magic cards in this duel but none of the others! Castle of Dark Illusions Drop lol. I think my favorite thing was how two of Yugi's cards (Makiu and Living Arrow) were pure Deus Ex Machina that never worked the same way twice and somehow always had a game saving effect.

That said, I actually really loved the "minigame," duels. The Labyrinth Field duel with Para and Dox was super fun, like the kind of weird rules variant for Magic I used to read Inquest Magazine for. I liked the odd spin Kaiba's proto-duel disks put on the standard rules during the rooftop duel. Mako's duel felt like they were playing a turn-based Pokemon tactics RPG. Also for years I remembered Joey vs Bandit Keith being one of my favorite duels even in Yugioh, and I was surprised how well it held up. And the little epilogue duel with Rebecca actually felt really close to a real game.

Its not hard to see at all why this show survived despite how weird and goofy the first arc was in retrospect. Now I just need to muscle though Virtual World and Dungeon Dice Monsters filler trash and move on to bigger and better things.

(... I may have owned the Dungeon Dice Monsters starter set when I was wee lad. It's me, I'm the toy commercial robot)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Virtual World and Dungeon Dice Monsters filler own. DDM is canon tho.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dungeon Dice Monsters ruled and the video game was great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

DDM was way cooler in the manga.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

DDM was way cooler in the manga.

So much better. Do yourself a favor and read it if you haven't.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Having now watched it, Dungeon Dice Monsters did indeed kind of own. The excessive catch phrase pushing was pretty shameless even by Yugioh standards, and the deck stacking against Yugi was a little over-the-top in its contrivance, but it was an enjoyable little arc. I might have to take everyone's advice and read the Manga version.

People who were saying the Virtual World episodes were good are crazy though. Other than the appearance of Coolest Monsters F.G.D and Dragon Master Knight of course. I did notice that the Big Five already had their unique character models back then though, that was pretty neat considering how much time would pass before their return. I think my favorite bit was that Kaiba apparently intended for the game to be a lot more boring than his enemies did since the Armed Ninja ambushing him and using trap cards against him were never part of his intended design.

As I watch the Battle City prologue 2-parter, I remember being kind of obsessed with Bandit Keith back in the day. He's a douchea and he cheats, but he's also really competent as an adversary compared to pretty much everyone else in the first arc, and his grievance against Pegasus was entirely legitimate even if it was less noble than Our Heroes goals. Plus Machines are cool and he's one of the characters with a Protagonist-style deck, in that it has other useful stuff in it outside it's primary theme.

I kept hoping through the years of watching the show that he was going to return and be a prominent character, maybe even join the hero side or at least be a Midboss level threat once again. I heard in one of the Game Boy games he returned as the new leader of the Rare Hunters once Marik was redeemed, and that he was a big deal in some spinoff manga. I'm motivated to check those out now, knowing he's never going to come back after providing the sendoff to the Duelist Kingdom and its weird rear end rules. Rest In Peace Intercontinental Champion...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The reason why he doesn't come back more often is because in the original Manga Pegasus kills him. Sorry to dash your childhood's hopes and dreams.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pegasus sure went a long way between early manga and late GX...

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Julias posted:

The reason why he doesn't come back more often is because in the original Manga Pegasus kills him. Sorry to dash your childhood's hopes and dreams.

He gets killed in a pretty awesome way too

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

D-Hero Drillguy???? Inflicts piercing damage??? :psyboom:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There goes any hope of destiny heroes having a consistent theme

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

At least the Fusion guy was kinda cool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow I just looked up what he used, there goes any hope of Destiny Heroes being even slightly good. A fusion trap that only uses materials from the field, can't summon Dragoon and can only be used during your opponent's turn? That loving hand trap, my god. Situational anime cards galore and the condition on Dystopiaguy's destruction effect...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

D-Hero Drillguy???? Inflicts piercing damage??? :psyboom:

"This card protects my monster from being destroyed!" Said Sakaki Yuya
"But you still take the damage!" Answered Ed Phoenix

"This card protects my monster from being destroyed!" Said Ed Phoenix
"But you still take the damage!" Answered Sakaki Yuya

duel was lol but the episode was pretty nice, Dystopia Guy is rad, though it reminded me a lot of the bad robot guy from Megaman X, any chance there's a British character it references or is the D-Hero theme of British characters gone?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Wow I just looked up what he used, there goes any hope of Destiny Heroes being even slightly good. A fusion trap that only uses materials from the field, can't summon Dragoon and can only be used during your opponent's turn? That loving hand trap, my god. Situational anime cards galore and the condition on Dystopiaguy's destruction effect...

I don't think it's time to throw in the gauntlet quite yet. I mean Superheavies and Perfomamages got tuned up for their releases and Cardians just straight up got re-imagined. Plus, anything HERO means shadow mist, mask change and dark law as potential additives. Lets give it one more duel before we declare the them dead again.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Julias posted:

:smith:

Red Suit posted:

He gets killed in a pretty awesome way too

That IS metal as gently caress though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
A lot of great Yu-Gi-Oh characters get killed off. Like Pegasus. :smith:

Sanguinia posted:

I kept hoping through the years of watching the show that he was going to return and be a prominent character, maybe even join the hero side or at least be a Midboss level threat once again. I heard in one of the Game Boy games he returned as the new leader of the Rare Hunters once Marik was redeemed, and that he was a big deal in some spinoff manga. I'm motivated to check those out now, knowing he's never going to come back after providing the sendoff to the Duelist Kingdom and its weird rear end rules. Rest In Peace Intercontinental Champion...

I think you're talking about Sacred Cards, in which he's a lategame member of the Ghouls. At the end of the game, you have the option to talk him and tell him to get lost or remind him that he's not just a puppet. If you choose the latter, he'll stick around to duel you.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think you're talking about Sacred Cards, in which he's a lategame member of the Ghouls. At the end of the game, you have the option to talk him and tell him to get lost or remind him that he's not just a puppet. If you choose the latter, he'll stick around to duel you.

According to a Google Search, I was actually thinking of Reshef of Destruction. Keith takes command of the Ghouls after Battle City and forms the Neo Ghouls. Based on the game summary I found, he planned to finally get his revenge on Pegasus by getting control of Ra, which he intended to do by holding Ishizu hostage, stealing all the Millennium Items from the PC right after he finished gathering them, and using them to revive the card. It only comes back in Sphere Mode so he loses the duel to the PC and gets Lightning Bolted by the god card for proving unworthy to wield it.

I forgot what a complete fanfic game Reshef of Destruction was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://ygorganization.com/dp17-dark-sanctuary-reprints/

quote:

Dark Sanctuary
Field Spell Card
(1) If you bring out a “Spirit Message” due to the effect of “Destiny Board”, you can Special Summon that card as a Normal Monster (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). The card Special Summoned by this effect is unaffected by the effects of cards other than “Desiny Board”, and it cannot targeted for an attack. (If you only control monsters who have this card’s effect applied to them, and no other monsters, your opponent can attack you directly.)
(2) When your opponent’s monster declares an attack: You flip 1 coin; if it’s Heads, negate that attack, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of that opponent’s monster’s ATK.

:psyboom:

Of all the legacy anime support this is by far the strangest to actually see release.