Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wild EEPROM posted:

the solution is to put grip tape on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I think they should support the standard for analog audio output since everyone else does and there is no reason not to when every other audio device does. Especially since a lot of people use their smartphones as a thing to play streaming music through stereos since there aren't many non horrible smart stereos

but were you a good boy all year, larry? hmm?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Larry Parrish posted:

Any device that needs audio input is either big enough to have more than 2 ports or supports Bluetooth. Anyway if you recall they do in fact make two-way 3.5mm jacks... the standard iPhone headphones has a microphone with a few buttons on it. Yet another reason why it's retarded to have no audio port

it is not a good port there are much better designed ones

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

i kind of want apple to go to USB-C and switch to audio for it because then we have a good new standard

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
isn't usb c thicker than lightning and thus contra to the apple mantra of eventually turning the iphone into the thickness of paper

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
usb-c is real good. I have it on my phone

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don't see a reason to use USB-C on iOS devices or the other slew of products now that have lightning

like they wouldn't be taking advantage of most of the features that make USB-C neat, namely thunderbolt

so why add a new port if it's only advantage is a feature they can't use

plus it's bigger

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

the phones are too drat thin anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

the phones are too drat thin anyway

that's because they need to be able to bend with normal use.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why it's so hard for phone companies to admit that maybe there's a sweet spot for thickness and not everyone wants a device so thin the freaking camera sticks out a little.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

oh yeah, that's the stuff :jackbud:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

zen death robot posted:

because you need those sweet bullet points to point out on the ads man

5mm* thick

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

Bluetooth consumes more power so then I have to plug it in anyway, to the charger
https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/atc10/tech/full_papers/Carroll.pdf

at least on the ancient htc dream/google nexus one where the test was done, power usage of audio playback through speaker with amplifier is around 30mW

quote:

The results show the audio subsystem (amplifier and codec) consuming 33.1 mW with an RSD of less than 0.2 %. Approximately 58 % of this power is consumed by the codec, with the remaining 42 % used by the amplifier. Compared with the idle state, this corresponds to a negligible change in codec power, with amplifier power increasing by 80 %. Overall, the audio subsystem accounts for less than 12 % of power consumed.

playback through bluetooth compare to the audio playback power consumption baseline saw an extra 35~45mW of power consumption

quote:

To get an idea of Bluetooth power consumption, we re-ran the audio benchmark on the G1 with the audio output to a Bluetooth stereo headset. The power difference btween this and the baseline audio benchmark should yield the consumption of the Bluetooth module, because (as shown in our Freerunner benchmarks) the power consumed by the audio subsystem is almost entirely static.

assuming the audio codec didn't improve and the communication stack of bluetooth etc. stood still from 6 years ago, listening through a bluetooth adapter/headset for two hours will use around 80mWh of power, or a whopping 4.66% of the battery on iphone 6s (2.9% of the iphone 6s plus battery)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As an iPhone 6s user who ruthlessly hunts down and kills my background apps, I can tell you right now that two hours of Bluetooth playback to a simple pair of wireless earbuds is easily 20% of the battery. But thats because I stream Spotify, power consumption would be a lot lower if I use local audio files like its 2002 or something

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

yeah the radio will use way more power

but then bluetooth isn't the problem at all, and you can still benefit from having to just plugging the power instead of power + audio cable if you switch to bluetooth though

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 3, 2016

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Larry Parrish posted:

As an iPhone 6s user who ruthlessly hunts down and kills my background apps

:allears:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

yeah it's kinda idiotic to try and micromanage background apps while doing one of the most energy intensive thing on a mobile device that is streaming through cellular network while blaming bluetooth for the power consumption

but quite fitting for the apple thread i guess

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

guys i switched all the bulbs and headlights to LED on my car in order to save some gas

*peels out from every stop*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I notice that Facebook is kind of a power hog even with push notifications off.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
clearly all of you "pro audio jack havers" have never had debris or liquid get in the audio jack or had their iPhone fall with headphones plugged in and gently caress it all kinds of up.

congrats, you're stuck with speaker phone / bluetooth headsets to make calls

I mean, most of us probably take care of our nice phones but for most idiots the headphone jack is just one more place to spill poo poo into the phone.

Larry Parrish posted:

As an iPhone 6s user who ruthlessly hunts down and kills my background apps

also lmao you're actively using more battery, saved application states markedly save battery since iOS 7. kill background app refresh for any lovely apps and you're fine.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

I notice that Facebook is kind of a power hog even with push notifications off.
facebook also takes a while to load when you launch it on the iphone 6s and eternally longer on older devices nowadays

it also had a bug and used a lot of power during the early ios 9.x days and ios users were blaming it on ios updates

basically lol all around

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Hemick posted:

clearly all of you "pro audio jack havers" have never had debris or liquid get in the audio jack or had their iPhone fall with headphones plugged in and gently caress it all kinds of up.

i have never had this problem with any phone or mp3 player i have ever owned. i have also never heard anyone say UGH, HEADPHONE JACK, THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'd be cool with wireless solutions if they could fix it so the audio doesn't chop up when you put it in the wrong pocket or whatever

would also be cool if the new cable had better button solutions than double and triple tapping for track navigation

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hemick posted:

congrats, you're stuck with speaker phone / bluetooth headsets to make calls

congrats, you've broken your iPhone in a way that even knuckle dragging morons couldn't do

I mean how the gently caress do you manage to clog up the headphone jack with poo poo? are you literally a toddler???

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

oh come on like you've never accidentally put your phone into your tater tot pocket and clogged the ports

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
why would anyone want to recharge their headphones

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

zen death robot posted:

btw Larry Parrish you should do what I did and buy one of those car Bluetooth adapters that plug into the aux jack. The one I have had a big button you tap to make it connect when you get in the car/Siri do stuff and some smaller buttons on top for skip forward/backward on your playlist.

My car is weird and the aux jack is inside the center console along with a power jack so it was easy to set up without any visible wires and right where it's easy to reach while driving though.

oh poo poo link

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use one of those too and its nice except the microphone is on the device itself in the car's console so i cant use the microphone unless i open the console and yell into it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Necc0 posted:

oh poo poo link

probably this or something similar. i just bought one yesterday, maybe will post trip report later?!

edit: beaten

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/macrumors/status/727522525232533506

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i have something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-USB-W...NsAAOSw7FRWXTxT and havent had any issues outside of iphones naturally flaky bluetooth implementation

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

welp here it is,

https://twitter.com/macworld/status/727535771004055553

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Steve jobs of course

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim's done his damage and now looking to hit the golden silk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bill gates is probably the only one who could save them now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

stymie

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao ballmer is so happy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
sees first quote from Wadhwa *closes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
hair force one

• Locked thread