Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BillmasterCozb posted:

You do not have to be embered to invade, so that wouldn't work, and you DO get their covenant item if they're a mound-maker, IIRC

It should just give me one is what I'm saying. I am saying they should reward players for successfully fending off invaders that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DS3 music is p good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Babe Magnet posted:

DS3 music is p good.

Actually its v good

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Jastiger posted:

It should just give me one is what I'm saying. I am saying they should reward players for successfully fending off invaders that's all.

That is a good idea. Let me summon a million reds into a fight club and--

Oh right. This is why I had 198 humanities in DS2.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Internet Kraken posted:

Something I'm finding weird is that From made all this big epic songs for almost every boss and you can't really appreciate them. Almost every fight is split into two phases, so the phase one music gets cut off constantly. Then phase two ends before you get far into that part of the song. So the only way you'd ever hear the full tracks is to listen to them outside of the game. Good thing they released an official soundtrack! Oh wait, the official soundtrack butchers most of those songs and cuts off huge chunks of them! :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?dudewhereismyspoon?videos this guy seems to have a bunch of them up with the second phase musics as well.
Fighting dudes in the cathedral, smack someone with almost no hp with a cestus, it's unupgraded so it only does 20 damage and then they counter hit me and I die, poo poo.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WagY0KJ7dc

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

you're already being rewarded. you get the benefit of seeing messages on the ground+30 percent health increase(and summons if you use them). dealing with invaders is the penalty.

also yeah it would turn fight clubs and regular invasions into farms and encourage gank squads even more

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

BillmasterCozb posted:

You do not have to be embered to invade

I'm curious what the avid PvPers think about this hypothetically being changed. If you had to be embered to invade (with corresponding health boost) and the winner got an ember item (whether host or invader) would that be a boon to PvP?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Grapplejack posted:

I carry a full supply of undead hunter charms for this reason. People panic when that option is removed.

That would be a good solution if

-You could carry more than 5 at once
-it was possible to hit someone more than 1/100 times
-it didn't take 5 minutes to throw
-it lasted more than 30 seconds
-they just unlock and sprint in a circle until it wears off and you literally have no way to stop them

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaldaris posted:

Hi Dark Spirit. I see you have invaded me. I too, like invading. I understand you have a hard time getting anything done with all the gank trains being run on you. Here, why don't I sit down so you can fight my phantom one on one, and if you win, you can fight me! I'll be honorobru samurai-sa-- Oh. Oh you're hitting me in the middle of my sitting gesture/running deep into the level/are a laggy mannequin piece of poo poo. I guess you're not going to make this quick and easy.

lol you think you're being kind and fair but it's literally the opposite and you're one of the most annoying kinds of hosts because you'll sit there at the start of the level all day wondering why I don't do idiot honor duels.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Melanion posted:

I'm curious what the avid PvPers think about this hypothetically being changed. If you had to be embered to invade (with corresponding health boost) and the winner got an ember item (whether host or invader) would that be a boon to PvP?

seems pointless

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I have never had a gank squad or anything like that. The only time some one showed up to help I was either already dead or I had already killed the guy. Sometimes you get a "good" invade and they are far far away. Other times you're in the goddamn archives and they drop down from above before their invasion message disappears from the screen lol.

Basically if I kill an invader I should get their ember and a covenant item that can be traded for higher end upgrading stuff.

Jastiger posted:

Play offline

e:

Jastiger posted:

A good idea I think.

Maybe not embers but how about a totally refilled everything. Full life, estus flasks, etc. Just something for triumphing over evil.

Play offline

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 3, 2016

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a guaranteed way to get Siegward into that goddamn well? I fought the fire demon and exhausted his dialog afterwards, got locked in the tower by Patches, escaped, and verified he's a merchant, but I cannot get him to steal + start selling the Catarina armor. Reloaded and checked both the well and Patches when I arrived at the cathedral, after opening main doors, after beating deacons, and still naught.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Melanion posted:

A good idea I think.

Maybe not embers but how about a totally refilled everything. Full life, estus flasks, etc. Just something for triumphing over evil.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jastiger posted:

The reward for a successful defense is keeping your health boost and ability to summon.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Nanomashoes posted:

lol you think you're being kind and fair but it's literally the opposite and you're one of the most annoying kinds of hosts because you'll sit there at the start of the level all day wondering why I don't do idiot honor duels.

I actually don't sit anywhere unless the levels already cleared. Then I just let you run around wondering why all the mobs are already dead.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jastiger posted:

A good idea I think.

jfc

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a guaranteed way to get Siegward into that goddamn well? I fought the fire demon and exhausted his dialog afterwards, got locked in the tower by Patches, escaped, and verified he's a merchant, but I cannot get him to steal + start selling the Catarina armor. Reloaded and checked both the well and Patches when I arrived at the cathedral, after opening main doors, after beating deacons, and still naught.

There are two sets of doors you have to open iirc. The ones by the giant in the muck, and the ones by the shortcut to the deacons. If you beat the deacons already its too late I think.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So what do Purging Stones actually do? Are they just a consumable Untrue Dark Ring so I can look like a normal human without eating a ring slot?

e: Okay. Patches and Sieg. I'm pretty sure this will #guaranteed work. DO NOT BUY THE TOWER KEY OR DO THE SKIP TO GET ON TOP OF FIRELINK. Get to the Settlement, meet Sieg, head up the elevator and chat it up with the giant, who will later skewer giant crabs for you. On the way down on the elevator, you'll hear Sieg HMMM. DS1 Return to Asylum Style, you'll want to get off the elevator halfway to reach an area where Sieg's staring at this bigass Taurus lookin' jerk. Help him fight it, exhaust his dialogue once the demon's dead.

Roll on up to the Cathedral of the Deep. Open the doors, meet Patches, get knocked down by Patches, meet Patches again, forgive him. Once you've opened up all of the Cathedral's shortcuts, Sieg should spawn. He won't be there the first time you pass by the well. Reraise the bridges, open Rosaria's door and hit her bonfire. Head back to Patches, maybe hitting the bonfire once or twice. Buy his armor (his shield might count, also pick up a Shotel for turtly bastards), chuck it down there. Sieg's stoked, thanks you dearly. Now you can buy the Key, and head up the Firelink Tower. Do it 100% by the book, head up the elevator and grab the item at the top. Once you head down, the door will be re-locked, and Patches will laugh at you. Exhaust his dialogue there, then die trying to get the firekeeper's set hop down to the bottom of the Tower. Patches should be in the raised area of Firelink nearby the Tree of Giants. Forgive him again, he'll be unlocked as a merchant. Anything after that, v:v:v

if you REALLY want to be safe, you'll head back to the Shrine after each step to force the world to change.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 3, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They clear hallowing, but don't remove the mechanism that causes it, so after a couple of deaths you'll be a beef jerky elemental again

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Kaldaris posted:

I actually don't sit anywhere unless the levels already cleared. Then I just let you run around wondering why all the mobs are already dead.

I get what you're trying to do but 98% of the time a host has me honor duel his phantom the host jumps in as soon as the phantom starts losing and it becomes a 2v1 anyway. Might as well go straight for the host and not waste time and estus on the phantom.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Invasions are no time for honor, just kill the invader and go about your business.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Jastiger posted:

A good idea I think.

wow maybe you're not playing the same game as we are.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

here's a tip for anyone that wants to PVP with daggers: don't, put them in storage and use claws instead because they have more range than all of the knives

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Omi no Kami posted:

voltron lion force posted:

There are two sets of doors you have to open iirc. The ones by the giant in the muck, and the ones by the shortcut to the deacons. If you beat the deacons already its too late I think.

It's not, I went back and got him when I was in Irithyll. You need to open the doors across from Rosaria's bonfire (raise the bridge to get to them), then reload/change bonfires or whatever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Daggers are loving garbo and it upsets me because daggers are cool as hell

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jastiger posted:

A good idea I think.

-__-

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jastiger posted:

A good idea I think.

What level/weapon bracket are you so I can invade you :love:

e: vvv too late, nerd, the gauntlet has been thrown

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
OK everyone disagreeing with me what's your soul level. Ima be invading you forever. :getin:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The guy going "hey maybe it would be cool if hosts got something for winning invasions" and then like 10 dudes jumping down his throat about it lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Farmlord Wheato is SL 20 with a +2 pitchfork

you blue-bloods bring that poo poo on, I'll tend my crops with your bones, I'll fertilize my soil with your corpses

nobles, swerve

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I always get estus refills when I win vs invaders

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lets hang out posted:

The guy going "hey maybe it would be cool if hosts got something for winning invasions" and then like 10 dudes jumping down his throat about it lol

it pretty much perfectly sums up why the people that play this game are made fun of so much lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I always get estus refills when I win vs invaders

Every time a phantom dies on the enemy team you get an estus refill

If you're purple you're basically swimming in drank

lets hang out posted:

what did u just sya yu little bitch 1v1 me in irithyll valley fuckre

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That would be a good solution if

-You could carry more than 5 at once

-it lasted more than 30 seconds
-they just unlock and sprint in a circle until it wears off and you literally have no way to stop them
There are really the problems. Being difficult to land is OK. They're not so bad if you unlock and throw about where they will roll probably roll toward, like using pyromancies.

The problem is that even if you do connect, who gives a poo poo? So long as they just play keep away they can't hardly be punished unless you are carrying some hanzo steel for those running thrusts. The net effect is dragging out already tedious encounters by another 30 seconds. Their use is very situational, and even in those situations they tend to just turn your opponent into a turtle - you could probably just as well have finished the encounter using any other utility instead of the charm.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Was doing some invading at Halfway and had some fun with the following:

The rotten sword the Ghrus drop
Rotten resin
Lloyd's

Ghru sword doesn't do poo poo for damage but with rotten resin it procs poison in a couple of hits like bleed/Carthus and then whack 'em with the talisman. Then switch over to whatever weapon you want that does actual damage. Poison doesn't do a shitton of damage but watching phantoms/hosts flail around and panic because they're poisoned and can't heal is pretty funny. Combine this with getting them to aggro crabs + Watchdogs or other invaders is good times.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I just got a bluecop like 4 ears in the cathedral, sadly I forgot to bring a torch and got hit by a leech thing so I had to cut it short and murder the last dude so I wouldn't die before getting a chance to go fix that. Sorry bluecop, you were doing really well too!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Invasions were a cool idea in Demon's Souls but I do kind of think their original purpose has been diluted over each game.

For those who didn't play it: in Demon's Souls, you had soul form and body form. In body form, you can summon for help or you can be invaded. In soul form, you can't do either, but you have at most 75% of your maximum HP (okay, 50%, but who didn't use the Cling Ring?). When you're in soul form, you have three options to get your body back: you can use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes, which is fairly rare (unless you know how to farm it); you can defeat a boss, which (when Demon's Souls was new) would seem like a very daunting task with reduced maximum HP; or you could invade another player using the Black Eye Stone and kill them.

Invading was intended to be a temptation. Chances are, killing another player you invaded would be easier than killing the area boss (or would seem easier--remember, people thought Demon's Souls was tough as nails when it came out, and at the same time, the vast majority of players weren't yet good at fighting other players or dealing with those players doing things like hiding behind mobs or using traps against you). You'd invade another player, pull some dirty tricks, kill them (kind of a dick move, given that they were probably struggling, too), but you'd get your body back--only to open yourself up to invasions as a result. And invasion wasn't supposed to be fun for the invaded player. It was supposed to be scary. I mean, it would be scary: here you are playing this tough, unforgiving game, and all of a sudden some rear end in a top hat other player comes and kills you in some cheap way and all your progress into the level is gone. If you win, amazing! But you probably wouldn't, not during your first several invasions at least. The deck was stacked in the invader's favor by far.

Of course, some people ended up just really loving invading, and also dueling with the Red Eye Stone, so the initial purpose of the invasion sort of drifted away over time. Reward or not, people wanted to invade, and people wanted to duel. And with each game, the mechanical reward for successfully invading got less and less valuable. In Dark Souls, it was a Humanity, but who cares? They weren't super rare, and even if they were, all it let you do was summon help--your maximum HP was no longer penalized for not being human. And in Dark Souls II and III, the equivalent items (Human Effigies and Embers) are super common. Nobody is invading specifically because they want those. They're invading because they want to invade.

Long story short, I dunno, maybe invasion should've stayed in Demon's Souls where it made sense. I have fun fighting off invaders and I have fun being a Darkmoon and all that, but I'm a little bummed that its initial "deal with the devil" premise has been lost and now it's just about dicks and people getting mad at those dicks and gank squads all day long. I wish there was a way to really, successfully implement an invasion system where both people are absolutely desperate to win because they feel like they need the reward.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alabaster White posted:

What level/weapon bracket are you so I can invade you :love:

e: vvv too late, nerd, the gauntlet has been thrown

*equips Estoc* let's do this. I win, I get all your ember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jastiger posted:

*equips Estoc* let's do this. I win, I get all your ember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SnaJiIioI

u = estoc guy

me = me