Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kid sinister posted:

So it's time to buy myself a birthday gift. I decided on an air compressor. The problem is that I don't know too much about them. It would be used mostly for auto work, turning lug nuts and filling tires, maybe a nail gun someday. What kind of capacity would I need? I imagine it wouldn't need to be too big for that.

I got This guy right here, and it's basically the best thing ever. About as loud as your 20 year old fridge when it kicks on, goes from dead to full in about 90 seconds, and it's got a 5.5 gal tank, which is enough to run pretty much anything intermittently. If 60 gal tanks didn't cost me $600, I'd add one to the system and it would be perfect.

I literally can't explain how amazing it is to go from a $150 Harbor Freight special that's loud enough to rattle fillings out of your teeth in an enclosed garage to something you can have a conversation next to without raising your voice. I run CNC gear, air ratchets and a little sand blasting booth with it, and aside from having to wait every minute or two for the tank to recharge, it's been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I got This guy right here, and it's basically the best thing ever. About as loud as your 20 year old fridge when it kicks on, goes from dead to full in about 90 seconds, and it's got a 5.5 gal tank, which is enough to run pretty much anything intermittently.

:monocle: That's pretty damned awesome and if my twin-tank Costco compressor ever goes, I'd look for something like that to replace it. However:

Frogmanv2 posted:

Pretty sure you can add another tank to the system though. Probably cost more than just getting a bigger capacity in the first place though.

If 60 gal tanks didn't cost me $600, I'd add one to the system and it would be perfect.

I though adding big tanks to small compressors was a no-no since you'd run through the duty cycle of the compressor / motor just filling it up?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I though adding big tanks to small compressors was a no-no since you'd run through the duty cycle of the compressor / motor just filling it up?

As long as you don't take it to extremes it'll be fine. Oil-less pumps suck and will die soon anyway so no biggie. v:v:v

A decent oiled pump will run forever. I used to use a 1/4hp pump running 12 hours a day to keep a bank of 80 gallon tanks topped off.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 25, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

I got This guy right here, and it's basically the best thing ever. About as loud as your 20 year old fridge when it kicks on, goes from dead to full in about 90 seconds, and it's got a 5.5 gal tank, which is enough to run pretty much anything intermittently. If 60 gal tanks didn't cost me $600, I'd add one to the system and it would be perfect.

I literally can't explain how amazing it is to go from a $150 Harbor Freight special that's loud enough to rattle fillings out of your teeth in an enclosed garage to something you can have a conversation next to without raising your voice. I run CNC gear, air ratchets and a little sand blasting booth with it, and aside from having to wait every minute or two for the tank to recharge, it's been amazing.

California Air Tools makes legit compressors. Highly recommended by even the pickiest Garage Journal forum snobs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

IOwnCalculus posted:

:monocle: That's pretty damned awesome and if my twin-tank Costco compressor ever goes, I'd look for something like that to replace it. However:

Using a lovely pancake pump to fill a 50 gal cylinder is bad, yeah, but the California Air compressors can run full tilt for extended periods of time. The duty cycle on them is 'you should probably stop for a smoke break if it's been pumping for 2 hours constantly', vs the 'I can run for 3 minutes at a time every 10 minutes' like on the little pancake pumps.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

This. Our garage is immediately underneath the sleeping areas for my wife and child and I can use my 5510 without waking them. Hell, the garage door opener is louder than the compressor.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My last lawn mower finally bit the dust, so I'm looking to buy a new one. I'm quite done with gas mowers, and am totally on board with battery-powered ones. Right now, I'm heavily contemplating either the Kobalt 40v or the 80v model, and picking up the respective line trimmer and leaf blower when I do, to get a battery cycle going. Does anyone have any experience with these? Which voltage would actually be better?

For reference, the actual grassy area of the lawn is about 1/8th of an acre, split between front and back of the house.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Axiem posted:

My last lawn mower finally bit the dust, so I'm looking to buy a new one. I'm quite done with gas mowers, and am totally on board with battery-powered ones. Right now, I'm heavily contemplating either the Kobalt 40v or the 80v model, and picking up the respective line trimmer and leaf blower when I do, to get a battery cycle going. Does anyone have any experience with these? Which voltage would actually be better?

For reference, the actual grassy area of the lawn is about 1/8th of an acre, split between front and back of the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Staysharp-Reel-Mower-18-Inch/dp/B0045VL1OO

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Axiem posted:

I can't comment on the mowers but I have the kobalt 40v trimmer and blower. The trimmer is pretty good, there's no lack of power and the battery lasts more than long enough to do my 1/3 acre. My biggest gripe with it is the auto-feed head, which is ridiculous; it feeds like 1/4" of string out every time the trimmer is stopped and started so a ton is wasted, and the string is a pain to wrap. Standard replacement heads don't fit, so I just made a little aluminum block that will hold precut string. The blower is pretty anemic, it works okay for blowing clippings off the driveway but can't do much more than that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've said it a few times ITT, but the EGO mower is awesome.

e: I think they've got two models now, actually. I've got the original one, no idea how the two compare.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
So, the family is moving in a few months and I thought this the perfect excuse to buy some tools, since the house we're moving to has some areas that need serious attention. Anyhow, I now have a small Makita 18v collection, nice tools for a jackass like me. So, I decided to fabricate some wood shelves for the current garage, and found out the hard way that bit holders are not created equal. Pictured below, some unknown brand bit holder I had after meeting an impact driver on medium power setting:

Splatter! Ordered some Wera impact rated bits and bit holder, hope that will do better, cause my son's inheritance is rapidly shinking, holy poo poo.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Rnr posted:

So, the family is moving in a few months and I thought this the perfect excuse to buy some tools, since the house we're moving to has some areas that need serious attention. Anyhow, I now have a small Makita 18v collection, nice tools for a jackass like me. So, I decided to fabricate some wood shelves for the current garage, and found out the hard way that bit holders are not created equal. Pictured below, some unknown brand bit holder I had after meeting an impact driver on medium power setting:

Splatter! Ordered some Wera impact rated bits and bit holder, hope that will do better, cause my son's inheritance is rapidly shinking, holy poo poo.
Impact drivers put out serious torque, bits not designed to deal with that will crumble under the impulse torque of the driver.

Obviously there is a difference between pure chinesium, piranha (b&d), and wera. But even a non-impact rated wera bit won't stand up to an impact driver for very long. Cheapo piranha impact rated bits will last just fine, though won't be as nicely ground as their wera counterpart.
Barring end user abuse, those wera bits might very well be part of your son's inheritance.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Axiem posted:

I was contemplating the Ryobi 2X 18V mower. It runs off 2 18V at the same time and the kit comes with two high capacity batteries. The main attraction is that Ryobi 18V line is well supported with lots of other tools. It gets ok reviews but I tend to assume it's weaker than most 40V kits.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rnr posted:

Buy impact-rated bits and extensions. The Makita Gold set is good. Avoid the Shockwave from Milwaukee, the P2 bits aren't a good fit to the screw heads.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

sharkytm posted:

Buy impact-rated bits and extensions. The Makita Gold set is good. Avoid the Shockwave from Milwaukee, the P2 bits aren't a good fit to the screw heads.

Seconding this, I've got Makita and Dewalt impact bits, and they've held up to my abuse just fine.

Re: Mower chat, I picked up a Makita cordless trimmer over the holidays, and that thing is just tits--I highly recommend a battery trimmer. It's so much easier than my old two stroke, and performs just as well. Not sure I'd trust a battery push mower though, especially if your grass sneaks up on you and there's a lot to cut. Never heard anyone I know try one however, so I could be underestimating them :shrug:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

stubblyhead posted:

I've said it a few times ITT, but the EGO mower is awesome.

I've heard lots of good things about the EGO, but I also really like the idea of my mower, trimmer, and blower all being on the same battery "platform", and when I went to the local Home Depot, they didn't have any of the other EGO stuff; I know I can order them online, but I'd really like to pick it up and get a feel for it in my hand before buying.

dyne posted:

My biggest gripe with it is the auto-feed head, which is ridiculous; it feeds like 1/4" of string out every time the trimmer is stopped and started so a ton is wasted, and the string is a pain to wrap. Standard replacement heads don't fit, so I just made a little aluminum block that will hold precut string.

I admit my general trimmer ignorance; I don't really know how auto-feed works or how it's any good. I can't use a normal reel of that green plastic line stuff with it? I'm not really sure even what questions to ask. :( (While we've owned a Black & Decker cordless trimmer for a number of years, it's gotten almost 0 usage, and I never really knew how to use it). Is there a good place I can read up on how this stuff works?

quote:

The blower is pretty anemic, it works okay for blowing clippings off the driveway but can't do much more than that.

Hrm. How would it do with leaves on a deck, do you think? (Or is that not actually what you should use a blower for?)

I think I need to buy a book on "how do I care lawn?" :( Any good suggestions?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah home depot I think is the exclusive distributor for EGO, but the one closest to be is going full bore on their poo poo tier ryobi garbage. I don't blame you for wanting to keep with a single battery platform, but seriously, EGO makes some quality stuff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

asdf32 posted:

I was contemplating the Ryobi 2X 18V mower. It runs off 2 18V at the same time and the kit comes with two high capacity batteries. The main attraction is that Ryobi 18V line is well supported with lots of other tools. It gets ok reviews but I tend to assume it's weaker than most 40V kits.

"40V" is most likely 36V nominal.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Axiem posted:

I admit my general trimmer ignorance; I don't really know how auto-feed works or how it's any good. I can't use a normal reel of that green plastic line stuff with it? I'm not really sure even what questions to ask. :( (While we've owned a Black & Decker cordless trimmer for a number of years, it's gotten almost 0 usage, and I never really knew how to use it). Is there a good place I can read up on how this stuff works?

Most line trimmers will take the spool line (buy the right diameter, should be marked on the head somewhere), and will reload something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJqb_0JxZBw

Not sure about others' systems, but I know some, including mine, just let string out if you bump the big button on the bottom against the pavement. Feeds out an inch or two a bump, so as it gets worn down, you just bump more out. You can also buy aftermarket heads that will hold little pre-cut lines in little swiveling things, but that seems like a waste of money to me.

Axiem posted:

I think I need to buy a book on "how do I care lawn?" :( Any good suggestions?

I don't have a book handy, and it really depends on what your goals are, but if you can stand to read up and pull some info together yourself, here are my recommendations. A lawn is a pretty complex thing and can be pretty individual to your yard (even different parts of your yard).

Read up on your local extension service, it'll be through a university or something. They have a great deal of non-sales-driven knowledge to give you. Google your county or state and extension. For instance, in MA we have the UMASS Amherst extension, which publishes stuff like this: https://ag.umass.edu/turf/professional-turf-ipm-guide. Expect sites to be poorly organized and a pain to deal with, but you will find gold if you dig around.

The forums and articles here: http://aroundtheyard.com/ are fairly helpful and friendly. Even though the majority of regulars are doing high-level monoculture kentucky bluegrass lawns and buying like greens mowers, if you get a soil test and state your goals they will help out with a plan. Articles are good to start with.

Again, from everything I've found, you're going to need to either sort of integrate info for yourself, or wind up putting stuff down on your lawn you don't really need or it winds up being real expensive.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Axiem posted:

From what I've heard the Kobalt trimmers not that good. Ego seems to be the best overall in battery lawn tools. Plus they're really focused on growing their brand so they'll be really generous with their warranty.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

~Coxy posted:

"40V" is most likely 36V nominal.

This especially--anyone that claims 20v lithium batteries are just full of marketing bullshit. 20v batteries are just plain old 18v lithium cells.

However, 18v lithium cells can peak at 20v during charging, so that's why some companies claimed that and now everyone else has to follow or their tools are perceived as weaker.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OSU_Matthew posted:

This especially--anyone that claims 20v lithium batteries are just full of marketing bullshit. 20v batteries are just plain old 18v lithium cells.

However, 18v lithium cells can peak at 20v during charging, so that's why some companies claimed that and now everyone else has to follow or their tools are perceived as weaker.

20v MAX (tm) :downs:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
The voltage is always bs except it does correlate to the minimum number of cells. And given that they all use similar 18650 cells this does mean something in terms of how much power the tool can be designed around.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
IDK yall 18v lithium ion packs do seem to hang around 20v when near full just in general - here's a pack off my drill after a couple uses since charged last and sitting there for a week.

I don't think its toooooo BS that they just round to the near fully charged voltage not cell rated voltage for marketing..

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Sniep posted:

IDK yall 18v lithium ion packs do seem to hang around 20v when near full just in general - here's a pack off my drill after a couple uses since charged last and sitting there for a week.

I don't think its toooooo BS that they just round to the near fully charged voltage not cell rated voltage for marketing..
I'd rather they market things in such a way that the product lives up to the claims made by the marketeers.

A 5S LiPo pack is rated at 5*3.6v=18v. Why bother to make up 2v that you can't guarantee? Most cells will take a charge close to 4.2v, so you could market a 5S pack as being 21v, because theoretically a cherry-picked golden sample could get to that level of charge.

To me a pack that consistently doesn't charge to the claimed voltage is broken.

You wouldn't want your butcher to charge you for a kilo of steak and only give you 900 grams. And you certainly wouldn't accept the explanation that the missing 100gr is just the consequence of marketing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

asdf32 posted:

I've looked at this too but it's silly money, nearly £400 here. Half that buys a good petrol or corded example. The single battery 18v version looks like a toy.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Deedle posted:

I'd rather they market things in such a way that the product lives up to the claims made by the marketeers.

A 5S LiPo pack is rated at 5*3.6v=18v. Why bother to make up 2v that you can't guarantee? Most cells will take a charge close to 4.2v, so you could market a 5S pack as being 21v, because theoretically a cherry-picked golden sample could get to that level of charge.

To me a pack that consistently doesn't charge to the claimed voltage is broken.

You wouldn't want your butcher to charge you for a kilo of steak and only give you 900 grams. And you certainly wouldn't accept the explanation that the missing 100gr is just the consequence of marketing.

What about hard drive manufacturers that sell hard drives based on 1000 bytes to the kilobyte versus the 1024 that the computer recognizes?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

n0tqu1tesane posted:

What about hard drive manufacturers that sell hard drives based on 1000 bytes to the kilobyte versus the 1024 that the computer recognizes?

Or a 2"x4" that is only 1.5"x3.5"?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Or a '5.0L' engine that only displaces 302 cubic inches?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So got am old craftsman rolling tool chest at an estate sale over the weekend and looking at fixing it up some. How are these things painted? Can I just grind off the paint and respray with rustoleum?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

:jerry: shrinkage

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
All of those are industry-wide, usually remnants of olden time standards, DeWalt's 20V fuckery goes against the industry standard use of nominal voltage strictly for marketing purposes.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a bunch of French tossers deciding that it should be mebibyte to indicate the whole base 2 thing, because mega- as a prefix in the SI means 1,000,000 rather than 1,048,576 that is implied when it comes to computers.

The strange thing is it never seemed to apply to things like RAM and flash drives.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Deedle posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a bunch of French tossers deciding that it should be mebibyte to indicate the whole base 2 thing, because mega- as a prefix in the SI means 1,000,000 rather than 1,048,576 that is implied when it comes to computers.

The strange thing is it never seemed to apply to things like RAM and flash drives.

Oh no, it definitely applies to flash drives. The "4GB" flash drive I've got plugged in now only shows 3.8GB usable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like how files change sizes when you copy them between Apple computers and every other computer on the planet

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

kilo- means 1,000. It has meant that since the beginning of permanent data storage. 1024 and friends come from memory addressing as near as I can tell, which is why it shows up in RAM and on flash chips. I'm not sure when it infiltrated storage too, but IIRC that wasn't until after the 70s or so.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Oh no, it definitely applies to flash drives. The "4GB" flash drive I've got plugged in now only shows 3.8GB usable.

That's the file system taking some space on a 4GiB flash drive, 4GB would be 3.72GiB.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lyesh posted:

kilo- means 1,000. It has meant that since the beginning of permanent data storage. 1024 and friends come from memory addressing as near as I can tell, which is why it shows up in RAM and on flash chips. I'm not sure when it infiltrated storage too, but IIRC that wasn't until after the 70s or so.

kilo- has meant 1000 since long before computers were on the scene. Computer guys just co-opted the prefix to mean 2^10 because it was a useful approximation when you're doing everything in powers of 2. The fact that this would have long-term consequences is just an unforeseen side-effect, much like using only 2 digits for the year precipitated the Y2k problem.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

deimos posted:

That's the file system taking some space on a 4GiB flash drive, 4GB would be 3.72GiB.

That is incorrect; there is very little file system overhead counted in that calculation. The discrepancy is mostly from spare area, reserved for remapping to optimize writes and remap failed blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I plan on getting the Stihl RMA 370 when I finally get mad at my lovely toro.
http://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/STIHL-Lithium-Ion/Lithium-ion-lawn-mowers/22099-1606/RMA-370.aspx

Its $400 for the mower only and then you need the battery and charger ($200? something like that).
I figure you get what you pay for, so price is not necessarily bad, except when saving for it.
I played with one at the home show, and its really light. Only drawback would be small cutting area, but i went from a 19" and 22" and only got a heavier harder to turn mower.

They seem to be non-existent used, so thats too bad.
The battery also would work with their blower, trimmer, chainsaws, etc.