Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Last time I checked it was at least in the same loving state.

not my fault you weird east coast folks put state lines between a city and its suburb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

UberJew posted:

not my fault you weird east coast folks put state lines between a city and its suburb

New Jersey: the suburb of New York

probably a better state motto then whatever the real one is

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Also who gives a poo poo what state it's in, it's much easier to get to where they are having it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

New Jersey: the suburb of New York

probably a better state motto then whatever the real one is

Liberty and Prosperity.

Prosperity. :laffo:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Also who gives a poo poo what state it's in, it's much easier to get to where they are having it.

Its just silly to not call it GPNJ. Its not like people don't know where NJ is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Do you guys remember when GP Seattle was held in loving Tacoma?

Because I do.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Easier to get to than what?

If you don't actually live in NYC, okay maybe you're used to driving everywhere on the planet still, but to anyone living in actual NYC, no it's super loving inconvenient and there's no way I'm taking a bus from the Port Authority to Seacacus. It seemed like a fun idea, but there's nothing that makes a 1.5hr trip worth my time when literally any event space in the city is 45 mins or less.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Some Numbers posted:

Because I do.

You mean GP Sea-Tac? :smuggo:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Jessup's neck beard is a thing of beauty.

He'd have to have a neck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Telex posted:

If you don't actually live in NYC, okay maybe you're used to driving everywhere on the planet still, but to anyone living in actual NYC, no it's super loving inconvenient and there's no way I'm taking a bus from the Port Authority to Seacacus. It seemed like a fun idea, but there's nothing that makes a 1.5hr trip worth my time when literally any event space in the city is 45 mins or less.

I guarantee you that 95% of the people playing in the GP won't be from NYC.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Man_alive posted:

Do you have a list for this deck? It looks like fun

It is quite fun, though not particularly good, since it relies on keeping a bunch of 1/1 tokens alive in order to go off and isn't the fastest kill in the world by any stretch. I did beat real Goblins with it last night, though!

code:
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Goblin Sledder
4x Mogg War Marshal
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Krenko's Command
3x Beetleback Chief

4x Lightning Bolt
3x Brightstone Ritual
2x Rites of Initiation
3x Keep Watch
3x Distant Melody

4x Swiftwater Cliffs
3x Izzet Boilerworks
4x Island
11x Mountain
Sideboard is still WIP, but you definitely want some countermagic and Goblin Caves to keep your tokens alive through the inevitable bevy of board wipes coming in for games 2-3.

The basic idea is that you make lots of goblin tokens, use those to draw lots of cards with Keep Watch and Distant Melody, ritual for the mana to keep the combo going, and then Haste everything with a Bushwhacker and win the game, probably while pitching all your extra cards to Rites of Initiation to make the final attack for a comical amount. I'm considering cutting some things to make room for Goblin Cohorts, just because the deck frequently finds itself behind on the board early on or making bad blocks and a 1 mana 2/2 would do a lot to smooth that out.

Rites of Initiation is a stupid, stupid card, especially when combined with Keep Watch, so sometimes you will take games against real decks just because they didn't expect like four goblin tokens to be a lethal attack / your deck to have real cards in it.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 3, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Some Numbers posted:

Because I do.

My favorite will always be GP Boston-Worcester.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

kizudarake posted:

GP Oklahoma City is being held in Kansas?

The gently caress?

GP Boston is frequently held 2 hours west of boston in a shithole named worcester.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

GP Boston is frequently held 2 hours west of boston in a shithole named worcester.

Look man it might be a shithole but it's THEIR shithole.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TWO HOURS?! That's ridiculous.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I was going to defend the honor of new jersey, but honestly, northern NJ (especially Bergen County) is an NYC suburb and southern NJ is awful

Central NJ is a combination NYC/Philly suburb

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I dont have a standard deck but GPNY is pretty close to where I live if anyone wants to do some limited side events

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Some Numbers posted:

TWO HOURS?! That's ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. If you go at a reasonable clip it's more like an hour fifteen to an hour thirty minute drive.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Caleb D is gonna be in the VSL tonight.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Telex posted:

Why not take a train from N.Y. Penn? Its like 20 minutes tops and there's another train that runs direct from Secaucus to the Meadowlands.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I think you mean that GP Worcester is sometimes named after a shithole named Boston. :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

CountFosco posted:

It is ridiculous. If you go at a reasonable clip it's more like an hour fifteen to an hour thirty minute drive.

Yeah I just realized its not as far as I remembered.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

He's also an rear end in a top hat.

First I've heard of either of the Jessups being called assholes. They're pretty quiet, and when either of them loses they blame themselves for misplays when explaining what happened.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I had booked a hotel for the GP, but the lack of a standard deck and a refusal to play for prize tickets in side events made me cancel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

First I've heard of either of the Jessups being called assholes. They're pretty quiet, and when either of them loses they blame themselves for misplays when explaining what happened.

I've seen them be complete dicks to their opponent more than once. Kevin Jones on the other hand is one of the nicest dudes I've met playing magic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Hey, at least all of those GPs are still on Earth and not Hoth :v:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Emerson Cod posted:

Why not take a train from N.Y. Penn? Its like 20 minutes tops and there's another train that runs direct from Secaucus to the Meadowlands.

Google never suggested trains for whatever reason aside from the subway that gets me to Penn.

Plus all this seems like more hassle than it's worth for what is more or less the same prize payouts (maybe worse, I'm not sure how that "prize tix" compares to the usual booster/credit payouts at local stores).

A GP seems like a super fun thing for either the really good player who expects to compete successfully at the major events (not me) or people who only live around one store that they're tired of and would like to try out a lot of new poo poo in one weekend after going 0-5 in the GP. Maybe next year when I actually have a standard deck and have given my soul over to whatever evils will compel me to build a Modern deck, but it sure doesn't seem like a good waste of $100+ to me.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Judge question: are you allowed to shortcut "infinite scry 1" to "look through your deck and cut to the card of your choice"?

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

mcmagic posted:

I've seen them be complete dicks to their opponent more than once. Kevin Jones on the other hand is one of the nicest dudes I've met playing magic.

I have to keep balancing all the good things I've heard about Kevin Jones with the fact that he has also gave himself his nickname. My internet rear end in a top hat impulses don't know who to side with.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Judge question: are you allowed to shortcut "infinite scry 1" to "look through your deck and cut to the card of your choice"?

If your opponent agrees. But you have to keep your library in the same order.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

keeblerdrow posted:

I have to keep balancing all the good things I've heard about Kevin Jones with the fact that he has also gave himself his nickname. My internet rear end in a top hat impulses don't know who to side with.

If your opponent agrees. But you have to keep your library in the same order.

His nickname is outstanding tho

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

On the other hand, infinite scry 2 lets you stack your deck (in polynomial time...)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've heard if you can demonstrate infinite scry and your opponent doesn't want you to just cut to your intended card it's basically forcing one to slow play.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I don't really understand the Hoogland hate, but I've only ever seen him on stream. I know he had some regrettable social media meltdowns, but at least he's willing to drop a game to pay attention to his children instead of yelling at his kids/wife like Cheon does.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

IANAJ but it seems like you ought to be able to, it's just the kind of thing you really need to announce you're doing before you do it and if your opponent is at all not OK with it, call a judge. Don't just pick up your library and start looking through it.

I suppose technically what you should say is "I'm going to scry 1 %number of cards in my deck% times, putting on the bottom each time, which is the equivalent of just looking at my deck without changing the order, can I shortcut that by just looking at my deck without changing the order?" and then "Now I'm going to shortcut scrying one however many times it takes to cut to this specific card by looking through my deck and cutting to it without changing the order."

You want to make sure it's clear what you're doing, clear that you're not changing the order of your deck, and that your opponent is OK with each step before you do it.

The only argument I can think of against allowing that kind of shortcut is that letting someone pick up their deck and look through it does raise the possibility of them rearranging it if you aren't watching carefully enough and they could drop cards accidentally or something which would result in them accidentally illegally reordering their deck.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I don't really understand the Hoogland hate, but I've only ever seen him on stream. I know he had some regrettable social media meltdowns, but at least he's willing to drop a game to pay attention to his children instead of yelling at his kids/wife like Cheon does.

Mostly him thinking his poo poo don't stink and that he's a rogue genius based on how his Reddit posts.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ShaneB posted:

I've heard if you can demonstrate infinite scry and your opponent doesn't want you to just cut to your intended card it's basically forcing one to slow play.

it takes like maybe 30 seconds to scry through a whole deck I don't understand why anyone would think this?

Especially since if you have set up an infinite scry loop you're about to win?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Telex posted:

Google never suggested trains for whatever reason aside from the subway that gets me to Penn.

Plus all this seems like more hassle than it's worth for what is more or less the same prize payouts (maybe worse, I'm not sure how that "prize tix" compares to the usual booster/credit payouts at local stores).

A GP seems like a super fun thing for either the really good player who expects to compete successfully at the major events (not me) or people who only live around one store that they're tired of and would like to try out a lot of new poo poo in one weekend after going 0-5 in the GP. Maybe next year when I actually have a standard deck and have given my soul over to whatever evils will compel me to build a Modern deck, but it sure doesn't seem like a good waste of $100+ to me.

Norin Soul Sisters is the most hilarious deck in paper magic, and if you don't love torturing your opponent with fucktons of triggers each turn, then I don't know what to tell you.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

He's a huge baby that kicks people from his channel when they criticize him at all and says some stupid things on Facebook. He also seems to think pretty highly of himself which comes off irritating. I find Cheon way more likeable and the stuff people say about him is usually pretty overblown imo. Guess people could say the same thing the other way around though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

ShaneB posted:

Mostly him thinking his poo poo don't stink and that he's a rogue genius based on how his Reddit posts.

Yo unrelated to anything else I'm gonna try and be online tonight and I'll ping you so I can get my Mental Notes back!!! Hope you kicked rear end with them!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I played the Pro Tour Gauntlet and got the R/W Eldrazi Goggles deck. I had played against it a few times. The deck is totally, unplayably bad and has no good matchups. The Season's Past deck might have some poor matchups and being bad against Company is probably unacceptable and losing to enemy lands is kind of dumb, but at least it beats other control decks. RW Eldrazi Goggles has a few removal spells, a six mana sweeper, and a bunch of air! How is that supposed to beat aggro? It's playing 6 spells that only burn creatures and 3 Fiery Tempers, with no real answer to enemy planeswalkers. How is that supposed to beat control? It's just horrible.

I can deal with a horrible rake to play fun/good decks on the fly. Paying to pray to avoid the 3-4 decks that are significantly worse than the other decks is just miserable. Going 1-2, 2-1 and 3-0 and losing points is really stupid when you can get stuck with some dumb bullshit like Sultai Midrange or RW Eldrazi Goggles and just be dead.

• Locked thread