Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok in Other news UGC (United German Commanders) is at war with Achenar immortals

(I have a friend in Achenar)

And after only 2 days this appeared http://captiongenerator.com/87609/The-Downfall-of-UGC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Voyager I posted:

It's not that I don't like the game: it's that I find the game incredibly frustrating because it's so close to brilliance but stumbles over even the most basic features beyond the core gameplay of flying spaceships, which is fantastic, and it has been loving forever since we had a good space game and it's become obvious that Star Citizen is never going to happen.

It's not as bad as MWO by any stretch, but it falls into a similar vein of "almost really good game in languishing genre held back by baffling development choices / priorities".

yeah p. much but I'm pretty sure the last thing all of DF wants to do before quitting for NMS is to win rise to power, then put ED on the backburner between patches.

If Elite sustains the current rate of content creation and can keep going for another 2-3 years it should be pretty amazing though. That depends on VR buying in though, it's not a subscription MMO by any means. Maybe they should go whale hunting for more cash idk

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I want to play as a space dock worker, moving cargo around with a sidewinder with forks on the front of it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

TomR posted:

I want to play as a space dock worker, moving cargo around with a sidewinder with forks on the front of it.

video of space dock forklift sidewinder making different pythons / anacondas / type 9s get targeted by a station self-defense mechanism, with blue danube as soundtrack

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Did everyone get an email from Frontier about a 50% off Python Pirate skin coupon?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

KakerMix posted:

Did everyone get an email from Frontier about a 50% off Python Pirate skin coupon?

Nope...only something about a screenshot competition.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Beta Thursday.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
Mass lock missiles, scrammer mines, and railgun heat buff. I take back my whining about the update having too many pve modules. New module mods are going to own.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I got one too, but it happens to be one of two skins I already own. :saddowns:

If someone out there wants it, PM me or something I guess.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
The 1.6 patch comes on Thursday too, right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Beta

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I hope they do a short beta because they never listen to feedback anyway :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TomR posted:

I hope they do a short beta because they never listen to feedback anyway :v:

p.sure they do?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Listen I just wanted to spout off. I love Elite and I think Frontier do a great job.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

It's true they do listen but they don't act on it :v: :v:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Coding is hard and takes time.

But seriously gently caress the SRV gunpowder fuel thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Groggy nard posted:

Coding is hard and takes time.

But seriously gently caress the SRV gunpowder fuel thing.

Oh? What has it done now?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

how long do you have to be out in your srv to actually run out though? :staredog:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Does the SRV explode if you run out of fuel, like the spaceships do?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

During the Hutton Race we estimated that you could run a SRV between 4-6 hours of constant driving depending how much you managed it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tippis posted:

Oh? What has it done now?

It exists.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Space Skeleton posted:

During the Hutton Race we estimated that you could run a SRV between 4-6 hours of constant driving depending how much you managed it.
And that was with quite a few modules turned off.
I think by default an SRV can run around an hour before needing to 'refuel'; which is still double the time compared to the initial implementation.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The RNG aspect of loot is a wonderful idea.

Time and time again games have shown that adding RNG for advancement means people accept their first results and adjust themselves accordingly. They certainly do not either rage quit or endlessly reroll the same item until they get their desired stats.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm a lot less skeptical of the RNG stuff after seeing it in action. It looks organic and keeps the upgrades from being a once-and-done thing that you min max immediately and never consider again. If the resource cost isn't prohibitive to roll the dice a couple of times to get stats in the ballpark that you want then I don't see it being a big issue.

I'd prefer if you had more control over the special effects though since those seem more like strategic trade-offs that influence your ship's playstyle. E.g., I may or may not actually want incendiary/emissive/confetti multicannons for a particular loadout, so let me have a way of targeting certain special effects or disabling them completely.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Besides it isn't like other games where rerolls are exponentially more expensive as time goes on. It all depends on how hard it is to farm mats.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
And even if the mats are easy to accumulate and people are doing loads of rerolling to minmax their poo poo, it seems like there's still going to be a lot to play around with. That one engineer had a whole list of different upgrades at varying tiers for multiple component types, and we're getting several different engineers with unique hoops to jump through in order to access them. It seems like there will be a fair bit to do and it will continue to be relevant after you've already seen all of them. Color me optimistic.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I would say the last 10 years of game design should have taught anyone the following:

1. Efficiency Uber Alles
A. People will follow the shortest route to progression. Even if it is the most painful and least fun.
B. People will repeatedly grind something until they get their perfect/desired outcome

Frontier does not appear to have learned this lesson.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
With all this engineer horseshit I'd like to press the issue on something that will be even more severely lacking....storage of equipment. You shouldn't need a hardpoint on a ship to store something.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

According to the live stream it is a priority for 2.2.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Any word on hauling your own kit around with you? Like so I could have a space taxi to go shopping in so as to not have to fly my vulture to/from wongmart whenever I want to try different weapons? Ship modules in the cargohold would kick so much rear end.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DreadLlama posted:

Any word on hauling your own kit around with you? Like so I could have a space taxi to go shopping in so as to not have to fly my vulture to/from wongmart whenever I want to try different weapons? Ship modules in the cargohold would kick so much rear end.

.... until your cargo hatch fails and ejects your hard won fancy laser gun into the void of space

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You know it's bad when your game looks grindy, unfriendly, and feature lacking next to eve online

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bhodi posted:

You know it's bad when your game looks grindy, unfriendly, and feature lacking next to eve online

At least in EVE it was (usually) pretty easy to fly with your buddies.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Never had a problem winging up with my friends. :shrug:

Shake Lockerman
Jul 5, 2013

O, rejoice!
For soon the world will burst with wombs
The sun will claw for the trees in vain
And an ocean of bones will creak below
If Frontier decide to whale hunt at least let me pay real money to skip some of the loving grind. I love this game but a lot of it is deeply flawed and very repetitive.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Literally Kermit posted:

.... until your cargo hatch fails and ejects your hard won fancy laser gun into the void of space

Lol if you don't run in a stock murderboat fa-offing the rear end in a top hat pubbies while railgunning or ramming them to death.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

TomR posted:

I love Elite and I think Frontier do a great job.

:agreed:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Beam+3-frags FAS, while super effective, is getting kinda stale after all these months*, so I'm messing with rail guns, plasma and whatever else. I'd never used plasma accelerators, but they are pretty fun, especially when you get a clear shot at the power plant through thin armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekpby474mvk

Cannons have also grown on me, as long as I use them as if they're frags (i.e. <300m). They don't do the crazy hull burst damage that frags do, but if you score direct hits on modules, they'll pack a wallop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZZcdV4nVo

I think I'll try missiles next, just for the joy of shooting missiles in space (even if they're hella weak).

*If you've never tried a C3 beam and three frags on a FAS, I highly recommend doing so. The burst damage at close range is insane.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Shine posted:

*If you've never tried a C3 beam and three frags on a FAS, I highly recommend doing so. The burst damage at close range is insane.
:agreed: on frags being hilarious

Shine posted:

I think I'll try missiles next, just for the joy of shooting missiles in space (even if they're hella weak).
They're fun as hell to use even if they're not so good. They look loving awesome too:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Insert name here posted:

:agreed: on frags being hilarious

They're fun as hell to use even if they're not so good. They look loving awesome too:

Those are the pack hound missiles, right?

Anyways with 2.1 missiles (and torpedos) should be getting a bit of a buff.

• Locked thread