Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Arc 1 is kind of... generic, like Baldur's Gate 1. If I skip ahead without importing, what will I miss outside of some unique accessories and half a side-quest?

Pretty sure you miss the best character in both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Playing through Fire Emblem 4 again, and I really wish the large battlefields from it were featured in more games as opposed to doubling the number of stages but making them feel much much smaller.

I like 4 but you end up spending way too much time just moving your guys across the map without anything happening

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Nate RFB posted:

Finished BOF3 and can't say I was all that impressed. It felt like I had to constantly wrestle with various gameplay mechanics, whether it was the encounter rate, or the master system (why should I have to truck on back to every master to get my skills?). Even the camera was a chore to work with at times. The story is whatever, basically a non-factor without much meat to it but ultimately inoffensive as well. Like I guess it kind of felt like a Dragon Quest without the charm? Fun fishing game, though.

Given these impressions, should I still give BOF4 a try?

You should instead give Dragon Quarter, the best Breath of Fire game, a try

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rasamune posted:

You should instead give Dragon Quarter, the best Breath of Fire game, a try

I second this recommendation, but do keep in mind that it is like 100% different from any other Breath of Fire. It's kind of a hybrid of turn-based strategy and rogue-like, complete with restart mechanics should you die.

also the music is fuckin' awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k3JID5x8Q4

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Thirding support of Dragon Quarter. That game rules and the soundtrack is incredibly good.

Just, yeah, don't expect Breath of Fire. It's way different.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Isn't Dragon quarter the game that people said would destroy the series before it came out

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The ideal system of save data transfer between games would be the option to simulate every little choice you made in a pre-game quiz if you don't import. And any items or levels you missed could simply be found in the game elsewhere. Dragon Age: Inquisition did this for practical reasons due to being on a new console generation.

Mass Effect 2 was poo poo at this. The option to start as anything other than a Renegade meant buying the DLC.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

voltcatfish posted:

Isn't Dragon quarter the game that people said would destroy the series before it came out

It wouldn't surprise me. Nerds and change, man

⬇︎ I consider it a self-fulfilling prophecy

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 3, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

voltcatfish posted:

Well. It did. You don't see a Breath of Fire 6 anywhere.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 3, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Before I played BOF3, it seems like everyone was saying to play BOF3. Now that I played it and didn't like it, everyone is like "gently caress BOF3, play BOF4." It was the same thing with Xenoblade.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

it got slammed really hard and promptly got ignored because "this isn't a real breath of fire game!!! :qq:"

I'd rather play it than any of the earlier entries honestly, besides IV most of the plots are pretty bland and the combat mechanics are boring

Maybe they got upset about how much the game discourages the use of the dragon form? I dunno. I just like how DQ is entirely balanced around pressuring the player to continue moving forwards. It's almost like a survival horror JRPG in that sense. Hell, it uses some RE1-3 mechanics.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Hivac posted:

it got slammed really hard and promptly got ignored because "this isn't a real breath of fire game!!! :qq:"

I'd rather play it than any of the earlier entries honestly, besides IV most of the plots are pretty bland and the combat mechanics are boring

Maybe they got upset about how much the game discourages the use of the dragon form? I dunno. I just like how DQ is entirely balanced around pressuring the player to continue moving forwards. It's almost like a survival horror JRPG in that sense. Hell, it uses some RE1-3 mechanics.

The dragon power is fun as gently caress if you treat it like the shonen anime dark power-up that it is; just see how beat up you're willing to let your party get before you say "gently caress it" and let Yami Yugi take over

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The lack of quality of life turned me off the game in the end. Having to walk all the way out of a dungeon just to sell stuff to get more inventory was tedious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I like 4 but you end up spending way too much time just moving your guys across the map without anything happening
girl of the spirit forest is the worst map in the series, and that includes the snowball fight in revelations and xavier's recruitment in thracia

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mycot posted:

If that was the price to pay for Dragon Quarter

It was worth it

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah people got angry at Dragon Quarter for not actually being a Breath of Fire game but my opinion after playing it was that it was a much more enjoyable experience than any of its predecessors. The game is unique, it's more fun to play than a generic turn-based RPG, and it pulls off the feeling of overwhelming pressure, claustrophobia and anxiety that it's going for brilliantly by tuning the gameplay elements and the difficulty in a way that reinforces the world's and the narrative's feel.

I really like it and the people who rejected it only because it was too different are silly.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

mycot posted:

I have some bad news regarding mobages to tell you

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hivac posted:

I have some bad news regarding mobages to tell you

Yeah that was the joke, about how fans who get mobile game sequels consider them "not existing."

The fastest turnaround time is probably still Fantasy Life, straight to mobile after one installment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mycot posted:

Yeah that was the joke, about how fans who get mobile game sequels consider them "not existing."

The fastest turnaround time is probably still Fantasy Life, straight to mobile after one installment.

Could it be because they are always horrible cash shop grindfests

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mycot posted:

Which is kind of sad, since Fantasy Life was an enjoyable and charming, if ultimately shallow game.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Heavy neutrino posted:

I really like it and the people who rejected it only because it was too different are silly.

IMO a thing can be likeable and people can still be justified in not wanting it

If you order a sushi dinner and the waiter brings you ice cream shaped like sushi it ain't the same thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
actually yes

I don't even have an opinion about Dragon Quarter, I just like the old games and it's kind of funny to see people go "DQ is different and fun therefore the old ones sucked and anyone who likes them are silly"

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

DQ was the first one I played, I went back to try the other ones later and didn't like em

Did I say anything about people that enjoyed them? I just don't like them personally

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah let me reword that, people can dislike them I don't care, I just think it's kind of disingenuous to imply people are dumb for not hopping on the DQ train. People don't have to give literally everything a fair shot, there's too much under the sun for that

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

actually yes

I don't even have an opinion about Dragon Quarter, I just like the old games and it's kind of funny to see people go "DQ is different and fun therefore the old ones sucked and anyone who likes them are silly"

Actually I liked BoF4 and your analogy only makes sense if someone ordered BoF4 and got DQ instead. A closer analogy would be an idiot ordering the chef's weekly seafood surprise and getting angry that it's sushi instead of fillet like last week's.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Yeah let me reword that, people can dislike them I don't care, I just think it's kind of disingenuous to imply people are dumb for not hopping on the DQ train.

I don't see anyone in this thread that actually said that.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't see anyone in this thread that actually said that.

Crying icons, nerds hate change, "people who rejected it only because it was too different are silly", " an idiot ordering the chef's weekly seafood surprise"?

whatever guys lol

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I was specifically referring to the immediate release window of the game where there was a ton of kneejerk negativity which caused the sales for the game to utterly tank, I'm not really talking about people in general afterwards

I dunno why you're treating it like some personal attack, folks play whatever they want, I don't care

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Hivac posted:

I dunno why you're treating it like some personal attack, folks play whatever they want, I don't care

man literally my whole point was folks can play whatever they want

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hivac posted:

I was specifically referring to the immediate release window of the game where there was a ton of kneejerk negativity which caused the sales for the game to utterly tank, I'm not really talking about people in general afterwards

Well I mean gameplay-wise, it was really unappealing to me personally. It might be more that it's pretty incompatible with the layman customer. I mean, consider the most objective points: you fight bosses that outright require you to burn your % to break through their damage reduction (which regens every single round), your New Game Plus EXP is an expendable resource instead of something that accumulates permanently (meaning that if you don't clear the game, you wasted it completely), the endgame is a gauntlet of strong bosses that--because of the percent-based time limit--can be very frustrating to fight, and the last bosses' stats and levels are so high that the UI itself rolls over and displays them incorrectly.

Which says to me that they were just balanced and designed very poorly.

Too hardcore for me. I phrased it before as, I bought a game from a series of JRPGs, but I got a roguelike, and I didn't sign up for that.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 4, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, that's fair. It's not exactly a very nice game. I'm fairly sure that all the bosses are beatable without using D-Dive, although doing so is really loving hard and pretty much requires a pretty deep level of game knowledge. It's definitely not something you really get into lightly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All the bosses are very beatable without D Dive or with extremely minimal use of D-Dive. You absolutely don't have to burn it if you're smart about your moves.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hivac posted:

I'm fairly sure that all the bosses are beatable without using D-Dive, although doing so is really loving hard and pretty much requires a pretty deep level of game knowledge.

The last two--the bishounen and your friend from the beginning--don't necessarily have high DR thresholds, but iirc they massively reduced all incoming damage by like 90% unless you "disrupted" them for the round by using a dragon attack. The two bosses at the beginning of the endgame gauntlet, though, are low enough that you can just scrape by without spending D-Dive. I know this because I got to the final boss so many times and game-overed by a fraction of a percent, so I kept reloading my last save and trying to figure out ways to minimize my % gain :shepface:

Thanks to the bonus EXP-as-a-resource (and having spent it all on that run), there was no way I was gonna restart the game again because I simply never would've bothered to finish it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can dig time limits in games dragon quarter's felt really underexplained and it was hard to know the right way to play the game on your first go. and the game's pretty short if you just blitz through it, but you don't know that going in, so if you think it's the same length as a standard breath of fire game with an element that could force a complete reset, it's pretty easy to get turned off

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

There's videos of Elyon and Bosch that are done completely without D-Dive, it just, yknow, takes like 30 minutes for Elyon because he's goddamn huge :v:

Supposedly if you play it really safe you can end up with like... 20% or so by Bosch? And you can just kinda blast him to pieces

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

girl of the spirit forest is the worst map in the series, and that includes the snowball fight in revelations and xavier's recruitment in thracia

Arcadia from FE6 was pretty much actively unfun until you figured out every dick move though, instead of just tedious.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah people got angry at Dragon Quarter for not actually being a Breath of Fire game but my opinion after playing it was that it was a much more enjoyable experience than any of its predecessors. The game is unique, it's more fun to play than a generic turn-based RPG, and it pulls off the feeling of overwhelming pressure, claustrophobia and anxiety that it's going for brilliantly by tuning the gameplay elements and the difficulty in a way that reinforces the world's and the narrative's feel.

Actually

quote:

it pulls off the feeling of overwhelming pressure, claustrophobia and anxiety
This is why I didn't like it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dragon Quarter had good music but was otherwise a bad Breath of Fire game. It should have been its own thing.

EDIT: For real though the music is fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzf_Ey5th8

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can definitely beat all the bosses in DQ without using any Dragon powers at all. It's not even that hard, it just requires a lot of patience and filling all your spare inventory slots with healing items. You can use as many healing items as you want per turn, so unless the enemy can kill your entire party in one turn there's very little danger of losing. If anything, the reason it seems hard is entirely because of the atmosphere of oppression and anxiety that they portray so well. The art and level design made a rather forgiving game seem punishing.