Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

MacheteZombie posted:

This reads like one of those burns people make about a movie they didn't like. "The best part was the credits, because then it was over"

Nah, the end notes and final author's comment (an illustrated essay on the nature of historical truth) are legit.

edit: Jesus, just go read From Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU describes From Hell as a great work of true crime, and I've described it as such myself I think, but really the bulk of it is a postmodern novel based on one of many conspiracy theories; basically, From Hell is to Jack the Ripper as Don Delillo's Libra is to Lee Harvey Oswald. The endnotes, however, are where the actual true crime part kicks in, and then to top it off there's a second appendix where Eddie Campbell's fantastic art comes back in and him and Moore do a genuinely funny riff on conspiracy theories in general.

It's a book that'll give you a lot to chew on. I still need to get around to reading the From Hell Companion Eddie Campbell did a few years ago (and also get around to finishing Alec and Bacchus; Moore of course gets all the credit but Campbell is a giant of graphic fiction in his own right)

Edit: speaking of true crime graphic novels, I finally read My Friend Dahmer the other day and holy gently caress was it good, everyone read that one too

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Reading From Hell ASAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I actually forgot all about From Hell Companion, I guess I have homework now too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

Alan Moore has done some questionable things later in his life.
Such as? I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm genuinely curious. Even the stuff that made me think "what the gently caress?" like "Lost Girls" or the fact that he worships some weird snake statue, hes actually done a pretty good job of justifying in various interviews I've read and heard him in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

HUNDU describes From Hell as a great work of true crime, and I've described it as such myself I think, but really the bulk of it is a postmodern novel based on one of many conspiracy theories; basically, From Hell is to Jack the Ripper as Don Delillo's Libra is to Lee Harvey Oswald. The endnotes, however, are where the actual true crime part kicks in, and then to top it off there's a second appendix where Eddie Campbell's fantastic art comes back in and him and Moore do a genuinely funny riff on conspiracy theories in general.

It's a book that'll give you a lot to chew on. I still need to get around to reading the From Hell Companion Eddie Campbell did a few years ago (and also get around to finishing Alec and Bacchus; Moore of course gets all the credit but Campbell is a giant of graphic fiction in his own right)

Edit: speaking of true crime graphic novels, I finally read My Friend Dahmer the other day and holy gently caress was it good, everyone read that one too

Is it as good as Helter Skelter, if it is then I'm gonna rush out and buy it posthaste.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Is it as good as Helter Skelter, if it is then I'm gonna rush out and buy it posthaste.

Shamefully, I've never read Helter Skelter.

If we're talking true crime though, I'd compare it to Devil in the White City, both in terms of quality and in terms of its aims.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I'd say its far and away better than Devil in the White City, also I consider it in part a work of philosophy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Danger posted:

I'd say its far and away better than Devil in the White City, also I consider it in part a work of philosophy.

Agreed on both counts but mostly because Larson isn't very good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Agreed on both counts but mostly because Larson isn't very good

It's funny because iirc what got penismightier to say he didn't like From Hell is he thought it was crazy I put it in the same league as Devil in the etc.

I think both are great

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Helter Skelter is insanely good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gorn Myson posted:

Such as? I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm genuinely curious. Even the stuff that made me think "what the gently caress?" like "Lost Girls" or the fact that he worships some weird snake statue, hes actually done a pretty good job of justifying in various interviews I've read and heard him in.

I was speaking more generally- people have been, in circles I encounter, been quick to dismiss or criticize Moore for his more recent work, like Lost Girls and that one Lovecraft tale he did.

I personally either can understand what he's going for, or genuinely enjoy it myself. I've just noticed a distressing trend among geek circles to turn on him for any perceived faults and discount his earlier works through that- which is why I brought up the comparison to Millar.

Millar wishes he could be Moore. Millar wrote some good, if not over inflated in a few cases, work but then pretty much lost himself and let his uglier nature shine through into his work, and by this point I'm not sure he's actually made a sincere Batman story in decades. I haven't been keeping up with Dark Knight III, but The Dark Knight Strikes Again was total parody told completely straight faced, as was ASBAR. Too straight faced to laugh at, too ridiculous to take seriously, and too ugly to enjoy.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's funny because iirc what got penismightier to say he didn't like From Hell is he thought it was crazy I put it in the same league as Devil in the etc.

I think both are great

Devil in the White City is going to be a great(ly advertised) late-November Oscar buzz film that people instantly forget about. Probably starring DiCaprio or maybe, like, Jude Law or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger posted:

Devil in the White City is going to be a great(ly advertised) late-November Oscar buzz film that people instantly forget about. Probably starring DiCaprio or maybe, like, Jude Law or something.

P. sure DiCaprio is already cast.

Movie might be poo poo but that won't hurt the book. The From Hell movie was poo poo too.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

P. sure DiCaprio is already cast.

Movie might be poo poo but that won't hurt the book. The From Hell movie was poo poo too.

Sure. Just the idea screams 'Tom Hooper' Oscar vehicle.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Dark Knight III, but The Dark Knight Strikes Again was total parody told completely straight faced, as was ASBAR. Too straight faced to laugh at, too ridiculous to take seriously, and too ugly to enjoy.

Dark Knight III is actually not bad so far, but from comments Miller's made, it seems like Brian Azzarello is doing most of the lifting for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger posted:

Sure. Just the idea screams 'Tom Hooper' Oscar vehicle.

Scorsese was attached at one point I think.

I can't see Tom Hooper doing a serial killer movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

Dark Knight III is actually not bad so far, but from comments Miller's made, it seems like Brian Azzarello is doing most of the lifting for it.

Well yeah, not to be unkind but the guy looks like a prisoner in his own body.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gorn Myson posted:

Quite a few of his recent stories have been "You know what Lovecraft was missing? Lots and lots of rape.". Neonomicon, The Courtyard, Providence. Like I wouldn't think "Lovecraft, but with more rape" was a particularly deep well, but by God he finds a way to keep going back to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boogaleeboo posted:

Quite a few of his recent stories have been "You know what Lovecraft was missing? Lots and lots of rape.". Neonomicon, The Courtyard, Providence. Like I wouldn't think "Lovecraft, but with more rape" was a particularly deep well, but by God he finds a way to keep going back to it.

The thing is, like, there was already a lot of rape in Lovecraft. It's kind of like being appalled at an adaptation of, say, Alice In Wonder Land addressing drug use or pedophilia. Those aren't great but the themes are very much there in the original text.

I'm just happy Moore didn't try to use it to explore the REASON why Lovecraft had the rapey stuff- namely Lovecraft's very awful racism. But that's where death of the author comes in handy!

drat you Lovecraft and your hilariously neurotic mess of a mind

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

I was speaking more generally- people have been, in circles I encounter, been quick to dismiss or criticize Moore for his more recent work, like Lost Girls and that one Lovecraft tale he did.

I personally either can understand what he's going for, or genuinely enjoy it myself. I've just noticed a distressing trend among geek circles to turn on him for any perceived faults and discount his earlier works through that- which is why I brought up the comparison to Millar.

Millar wishes he could be Moore. Millar wrote some good, if not over inflated in a few cases, work but then pretty much lost himself and let his uglier nature shine through into his work, and by this point I'm not sure he's actually made a sincere Batman story in decades. I haven't been keeping up with Dark Knight III, but The Dark Knight Strikes Again was total parody told completely straight faced, as was ASBAR. Too straight faced to laugh at, too ridiculous to take seriously, and too ugly to enjoy.
Gotcha. I'm actually with you here (but I haven't read Millar because I don't read a lot of comics). I think the difference between you and I over this though is that I'm quite happy to dismiss a lot of the criticisms that geek circles offer. I remember hearing about Lost Girls through this forum and thinking that Moore was a stone cold weirdo, and then he made an appearance on a podcast years ago and talked about what he was going for and I realised what he was doing and figured "fair play to you".

Dunno about the Lovecraft interpretations, but I'm not taking an opinion on that until I've read it and built an idea of what he was going for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lost Girls is nowhere near what its reputation would suggest.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are you guys talking about Mark Millar or Frank Miller? You keep using both last names and I'm lost.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel did a survey and found out that an "overwhelming" number of respondents wants a Black Widow movie. I'm honestly surprised it's not happening sooner (maybe because Perlmutter was in charge?).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

Are you guys talking about Mark Millar or Frank Miller? You keep using both last names and I'm lost.

Frank, it's hard to talk about Millar longer than a page.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TMNT2 trailer new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sf0ZQfcSrc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Frank, it's hard to talk about Millar longer than a page.

I'll defend like half of Millar's stuff, and even the bad or mediocre stuff is often interesting. Who else would do a comic where Joe Biden is the former leader of a satanic biker gang and Ghost Rider is on a mission to take him out?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Marvel did a survey and found out that an "overwhelming" number of respondents wants a Black Widow movie. I'm honestly surprised it's not happening sooner (maybe because Perlmutter was in charge?).

I keep saying this... not here, mind you, but...

Make a Widow movie with Taskmaster as the villain.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

i thought Salt was a black widow movie

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Well, it's not like it's going to make anything in merchandising since girls don't buy boy toys.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Perlmutter was definitely responsible. The Sony hack revealed emails of him arguing against it:

Isaac Perlmutter posted:

Michael,

As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples. There are more.

Thanks,

Ike

1. Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm

2. Catwoman (WB/DC) – Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film was a disaster. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm

3. Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Corek fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Corek posted:

Perlmutter was definitely responsible. The Sony hack revealed emails of him arguing against it:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Rich loser with no friends. Make it the Black Widow/Agent Carter buddy cop movie we've all been waiting for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Those Sony leaks keep on giving.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Burkion posted:

Alan Moore has done some questionable things later in his life.

He's also earned that right by being one of the, if not the, best and most worthwhile comic book writer ever.

Don't let the easy jokes that can be made about him fool you. He's not Frank Millar.
Top 10 is pretty great

Moore also did this book where this superman analogue met the concept of imagination who was just the head of Jack Kirby

I prefer Neil Gaiman even though he can't really tell an ending and the artwork of later Sandman is pretty bad.

But drat it hob gadling and Fiddler's Green are two of my favorite characters in ficition

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In-universe X-Men games.

Shirtless. Muscular. Cyborg. Glowing eyes. Giant gun. No feet. Hmmm....

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Only one spot so far has shown Krang's brain jar.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Wouldn't shock me if it goes where Inhumans was scheduled.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wait, people don't like Mark Millar? AND they like Frank Miller? What kind of backwards poo poo is this??

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 4, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HIJK posted:

Rich loser with no friends. Make it the Black Widow/Agent Carter buddy cop movie we've all been waiting for.

I still like trotting out the fact that the only publicly known photo of Perlmutter is from 1985.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corek posted:

I still like trotting out the fact that the only publicly known photo of Perlmutter is from 1985.

Marvel's Miscavige.

• Locked thread