Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

abigserve posted:

My favourite kickstarter story is the oculous rift getting bought by facebook and their backers not getting poo poo.

my favorite part is knowing multiple people would have lovely responses after you posted this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I haven't looked in depth into the whole Star Citizen thing but it seems from what I've heard that after blowing through all their kickstarter money they've got themselves in a situation where they have to constantly expand and add stuff that can be purchased in order to continue funding themselves, right? Like they can't actually finish the game because they keep pushing the finishing line away faster than they are actually moving towards it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

my favorite part is knowing multiple people would have lovely responses after you posted this.

Genuine question, what should the Oculus people have done? Kickstarter backers aren't investors and were entitled to nothing, if anything the fact that they gave them a freebie after the buyout is above and beyond what anyone would expect from a tech startup.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croisquessein posted:

I haven't looked in depth into the whole Star Citizen thing but it seems from what I've heard that after blowing through all their kickstarter money they've got themselves in a situation where they have to constantly expand and add stuff that can be purchased in order to continue funding themselves, right? Like they can't actually finish the game because they keep pushing the finishing line away faster than they are actually moving towards it.

yes, they miss every deadline by a mile. They say they are on schedule because they move the launch date back when they add new features

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

Genuine question, what should the Oculus people have done?

Not been dickheads to the people who gave them money, perhaps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Not been dickheads to the people who gave them money, perhaps.

They weren't dickheads. You're a dummy if you think your kickstarter is an "investment" with any return, and plenty of other kickstarters have had later rounds of funding or used the kickstarter to get further investment. You get what you were promised and nobody that I know of has ever really gone much further than that, maybe a little bonus thingy.

Has ANY kickstarter ever paid out a monetary return to backers? I don't think so.

A free $600 headset is pretty nice actually, when it was only $300 to back and you already got a DK1 which costs that much. That's a 300% ROI. That's really good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

You're a dummy if you think your kickstarter is an "investment" with any return, and plenty of other kickstarters have had later rounds of funding or used the kickstarter to get further investment.

Point out where I said this in my 11 word response, thanks.

edit: also how is something you paid 300 dollars for free lol, that's some real pro-crowdfunding logic there

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You paid $300 for the first model, which you would have gotten years ago and been using. You get the second, retail revision for $0 extra dollars.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're dumb enough to back Oculus, wealthy enough to afford backing them, and entitled enough to be indignant that they didn't give you even more free stuff then you deserve to be unhappy and taken advantage of at every opportunity.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

yes, they miss every deadline by a mile. They say they are on schedule because they move the launch date back when they add new features

as far as i have seen a feature were your space ship doesn't fly away without you would be a good one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Point out where I said this in my 11 word response, thanks.

edit: also how is something you paid 300 dollars for free lol, that's some real pro-crowdfunding logic there

Okay fair enough, we should factor the 300 into the cost. So that means its a 200% ROI. :v: Still really drat good considering its kickstarter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact that people are actually defending wealthy publishers ripping people off with the excuse that being decent to your customers isn't legally required of you is hilarious to me and also very sad. Namaste

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

CJacobs posted:

The fact that people are actually defending wealthy publishers ripping people off with the excuse that being decent to your customers isn't legally required of you is hilarious to me and also very sad. Namaste

I think the problem is that you don't fully understand what Kickstarter is. It is NOT an investment platform. As such, it is only obligated to give backers whatever perks they purchased.

I've never backed a Kickstarter project, nor can I see myself ever doing it, but don't think of them as the stock exchange.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lol you think businesses care about you

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

LOL

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

CJacobs posted:

What exactly do you think backers should get beyond the rewards that were promised them in the original Kickstarter pitch? And apparently, Oculus has already gone beyond that by giving backers a retail OR when they were originally just supposed to get an early development kit version, so I'm not sure I see the problem.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

They weren't dickheads. You're a dummy if you think your kickstarter is an "investment" with any return, and plenty of other kickstarters have had later rounds of funding or used the kickstarter to get further investment. You get what you were promised and nobody that I know of has ever really gone much further than that, maybe a little bonus thingy.

Has ANY kickstarter ever paid out a monetary return to backers? I don't think so.

A free $600 headset is pretty nice actually, when it was only $300 to back and you already got a DK1 which costs that much. That's a 300% ROI. That's really good.

Plus it seems they've achieved their overall goal of giving virtual reality another chance, what with the Vive and PSVR and all that.

And as I recall, there was some discussion of the idea of offering profit shares for crowdfunding. It turns out that within the financial regulations of pretty much every developed country, that would either be outright illegal or a bureaucratic clusterfuck of Biblical proportions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kickstarter isn't an investment platform, its a collect-a-thon. Imagine that Tim Schafer is manning the phones and hoping to receive your donation, and if you give certain amounts, you get a tea-kettle or a microwave!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Why doesn't NPR give me dividends? I bought a tote bag and everything!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I like to post vague smarmy things too, but if you want to make a point it is not the best.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

btw gbs is where you belong you counterfeit posting crystal having baby

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i Kickstarterd the new fear effect game even though it's probably gonna fail but I just wish there was more games where th lead characters dyked out inbetween puzzles and action segments

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Did the oculus kick-starter not ship a bunch of rewards or something? I know a bunch of people who backed and they all got their headsets.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

Did the oculus kick-starter not ship a bunch of rewards or something? I know a bunch of people who backed and they all got their headsets.
They delivered all their Kickstarter rewards afaik. But when Facebook bought Oculus for $2bn some people think that because they gave $100 on Kickstarter they're entitled to a share of the buyout money.

They fail to realise that backing a company on Kickstarter does not make you a shareholder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

There's a movie to be made off this, a la The Wolf Of Wall Street or The Big Short, considering that the $120+ million price tag will likely kill crowdfunding in the aftermath of Star Citizen's collapse.

unpacked robinhood posted:

People keep saying this but no one cares about star citizen and crowdfunding isn't going away

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Star Citizen fails completely (and considering Freelancer only happened because Microsoft stepped in to stop the endless feature creep) I can't even begin to imagine how bad the fallout will be for crowdfunding. Burning over 100 million dollars with nothing to show for it would be the kind of thing that gets new laws passed.

TetsuoTW posted:

When Star Citizen fails it won't make a difference because normal people have never heard of it.

Also Kickstarter alone received over $2.35 billion in pledges in 2015. $120 million is a drop in the bucket as far as online crowdfunding is concerned.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I saw this and thought of this thread. (it's a kickstarter for a stupid card game you play in a bar, it gives you dares to complete that will probably earn you a punch in the face half the time)

The product is pretty straightforward but reading through the product description was incredibly cringey. You are not going to have a good time playing with these things in your average bar.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

quote:

The Most Socially Exciting Card Game Ever Played

quote:

Give a random person a sensual head massage for 20 seconds.

:stonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More like the game guaranteed to get you banned from bars.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
1-infinity players. Why yes, I am giving you a sensual head massage because my card told me to you see-

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People who bring board games to bars: finally someone that the people who bring books to bars can look down on.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
A tortilla maker with DRM.

Wired posted:

"You know that age-old problem, when you want to make fajitas at home but just don’t want to settle for store-bought tortillas? We’ve all been there. Thankfully, a new company has the solution.”

I sincerely doubt anyone at loving wired has ever made their own tortillas. In an infographic lower on the page, there's a very satisfying misspelling of "Campaign" I've been waiting to see.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

A tortilla maker with DRM.

I sincerely doubt anyone at loving wired has ever made their own tortillas. In an infographic lower on the page, there's a very satisfying misspelling of "Campaign" I've been waiting to see.

"The Artisan Tortilla Maker"

Is this not the exact opposite of "artisan," considering it's made in a loving machine??

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

No. No. No. So, the retail price difference for 48 extra pods is 38 dollars. 80 cents per tortilla and $400 for the machine.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The machine may be expensive, but you'll break even after you make negative 700 tortillas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

bvoid posted:

"The Artisan Tortilla Maker"

Is this not the exact opposite of "artisan," considering it's made in a loving machine??

It doesn't make artisan tortillas, the thing itself is artisan.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The FAQ mentions at several points that the machine makes tortillas twice as thick as typical, but that's a ***good thing***. They made a dumb machine that can't even flatten the dough properly.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh man that answer on pod cost is amazing. So many words trying to explain why it's more than 2x the price of buying them in the store.

Want to use your own dough? Oh no we couldn't possibly support that. Clearly doesn't fit into their revenue model. The "Why pods" question is a farce - of course we know why you want to use DRM pods. Just loving admit it.

Look flatev, it worked for coffee because everyone loving drinks coffee. It crosses cultural and class lines. Not everyone eats tortillas, and even a smaller subset of those folks are going to be willing to pay this kind of premium. Good luck trying to get retail distribution on this, especially since the pods require REFRIGERATION and only have a shelf like of 6 weeks. These guys are in for a rude awakening when they try to setup distribution.

This whole thing is going to end with a bunch of kickstarter folks owning fancy dough pod pressing machines with no way to order more pods once they go belly up. Gonna be funny.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

my favourite bit is the insistence that food waste in the form of left-over tortillas is bad for the environment, but the recyclable pods somehow aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tortillas are not hard to make.