Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

I agree we suck

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think anybody posted about NSW Greens MP John Kaye dying of cancer recently. Sucks big time but when Mike Baird asked if he could do anything for him he told him to stop gutting TAFE.

Lmao

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

I've only now just noticed the tiny Bugs Bunny pushing QLD away.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yup, without a majority in parliament Labor alone did all those things. By themselves. Without any other votes or support.

Like?

Big Willy Style posted:

Which party did Gillard form government with? I obviously wasn't paying attention.

#Greenstakingcreditforthings

We relied on a Green vote in the lower house to form Government. The Greens weren't in the party room, nor in cabinet, where ALP policy is decided. No Greens were Ministers.

Nice try though.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Tim Mander looks like he has the numbers, and there's chatter in the Branches about him. Especially in The Gap & Ashgrove, you know, who made the REAL SMART DECISION to install Campbell Newman.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

#Greenstakingcreditforthings

We relied on a Green vote in the lower house to form Government. The Greens weren't in the party room, nor in cabinet, where ALP policy is decided. No Greens were Ministers.

Nice try though.

This is hilarious.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
uh all we relied on was the greens to do anything

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
if the day before the election everyone in the alp was lost to us in a tragic note checking accident and you couldn't vote for them any more would you vote for the greens or the libs

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Seagull posted:

uh all we relied on was the greens to do anything

Just because you vote for legislation, doesn't mean you designed or implemented it. Adam just moved over a few rows in Parliament when he needed to.

Greens aren't responsible for any of the legislation throughout the term, they just voted for it.

Seagull posted:

if the day before the election everyone in the alp was lost to us in a tragic note checking accident and you couldn't vote for them any more would you vote for the greens or the libs

Unlike the posters here, I will actually answer the question. I would vote Green if the ALP vanished tomorrow.

edit: In the ACT the Greens get my #1 Senate vote to improve their chance of picking up the Liberal Senate seat here. Last election they ran a poo poo candidate, this time around they have a much better candidate. But like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact. Zed is a weak candidate and doesn't reflect the (small l) Liberals that make up most of the conservative vote. He should go this election, he attached himself to Abbott and should get punished at the ballot. He hardly got in at the last election, even though he was a very popular opposition leader at the Territory election. A poo poo candidate and bad campaigning made them miss out. Let's see if they can improve this time around.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 4, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Brayds2006 posted:

I've only now just noticed the tiny Bugs Bunny pushing QLD away.

huh, how about that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australians calling Centrelink are being warned to expect to wait a whole lot longer next year.
Budget papers confirm the department that manages the social security behemoth will lose about 810 staff next year and face funding cuts of $80 million.
Welfare advocates are worried the cuts will only compound the 22 million Centrelink calls that went unanswered last year.
"How is an efficiency dividend going to fix that?" Welfare Rights Centre spokesman Gerard Thomas said to AAP on Wednesday.
Centrelink has been beset by a blow-out in call waiting times and has recently been struggling to cope with applications for study payments, leaving dozens of students in hardship.
Opposition human services spokesman Doug Cameron says Centrelink's problems are about to get a whole lot worse.
He believes the cuts will only further sour the public's relationship with government services.
"Malcolm Turnbull's budget means the service delivery standards in Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support are about to go into freefall," he said.
Comment has been sought from Human Services Minister Alan Tudge.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

EvilElmo posted:

Unlike the posters here, I will actually answer the question. I would vote Green if the ALP vanished tomorrow.

God you're such a fuckhead. No one here's a tree tory.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

God you're such a fuckhead. No one here's a tree tory.

Yet, nobody answers if they'd prefer the ALP to have Green policy and always in opposition or Liberal policy and in Government.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Treasurer Scott Morrison has declared an end to class warfare in Australian politics during his post-budget sales pitch, saying voters were "over the us and them" approach to governing.

ITT a white man of privelege tells the oppressed being uppity no longer exists.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Because it's a stupid question. You're building into the scenario that Liberal lite policy is the only way to win government for the ALP.

e: As you've just said, even a rusted on Labor voter like yourself would switch to the Greens if the ALP were to disappear.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

EvilElmo posted:

Yet, nobody answers if they'd prefer the ALP to have Green policy and always in opposition or Liberal policy and in Government.

no one here wants either

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

EvilElmo posted:

If the ALP followed Liberal policy then who would give a gently caress which one is in government?

Of course you're just talking about refugees so let me say that there's plenty of room to be more humane in regards to refugees while still performing the ever important job of stopping the boats.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
As I've said many times. Polling really does disagree that there are other options for asylum seekers at the moment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EvilElmo posted:

We have answered this question. Many of us, multiple times, actually. For your sake, since you're slow, I think I'll state mine more explicitly:

I almost always put Greens at 1 in either house. ALP tends to get 2 in the reps, but in the senate (keep in mind going from South Australia's, so the maximum number is about 70-something) Labor tend to be somewhere in the teens, with minor parties that have pretty good core platforms going between them. Liberals in the meantime languish somewhere in the 60s, only just ahead of parties like Family First.

Yes, I am the type to number the whole senate sheet. It actually gets fun once you're in the middle stretch.

EvilElmo posted:

The former, because I would prefer to have those policies actually stood by. I loving hate the Liberals, but it's not because I want to punch Christopher Pyne in the face and shout profanity at Corey Bernardi until the sheer force of my voice rips the skin from his body*. I'm voting for other people because I don't want Liberal policy to be law.

*The only member of the LNP I wouldn't want to enact some form of violence against is Abbott, and that's not because he doesn't deserve it; he just seems the most liikely to hit back.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

But like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact.

Lets just sit back and marvel at this post for a minute shall we?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Lets just sit back and marvel at this post for a minute shall we?

It would explain why in the progressive area in Australia, you have 1 member in Parliament.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

EvilElmo posted:

edit: In the ACT the Greens get my #1 Senate vote to improve their chance of picking up the Liberal Senate seat here. Last election they ran a poo poo candidate, this time around they have a much better candidate. But like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact. Zed is a weak candidate and doesn't reflect the (small l) Liberals that make up most of the conservative vote. He should go this election, he attached himself to Abbott and should get punished at the ballot. He hardly got in at the last election, even though he was a very popular opposition leader at the Territory election. A poo poo candidate and bad campaigning made them miss out. Let's see if they can improve this time around.

I hate to go all local factors, but last election (particularly early in the campaign) you couldn't swing a cat in Canberra without knocking down five Simon Sheikh signs (and as the former head of GetUp he was pretty high profile); and Zed was dealing with the (deserved) reputation of having knifed the popular Gary Humphreys in a cynical bid for federal politics having failed at the Terrritory elections.

Edit: You're not wrong that Zed is a terrible candidate and representative, though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

It would explain why in the progressive area in Australia, you have 1 member in Parliament.

Its completely wrong, but dont let that stop you from spinning it into something that suits your narrative.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EvilElmo posted:

As I've said many times. Polling really does disagree that there are other options for asylum seekers at the moment.

the gently caress is this?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Elmo being a torture apologist.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gorbash posted:

I hate to go all local factors, but last election (particularly early in the campaign) you couldn't swing a cat in Canberra without knocking down five Simon Sheikh signs (and as the former head of GetUp he was pretty high profile); and Zed was dealing with the (deserved) reputation of having knifed the popular Gary Humphreys in a cynical bid for federal politics having failed at the Terrritory elections.

Edit: You're not wrong that Zed is a terrible candidate and representative, though.

Signs don't do anything. They're there to make party faithful but they have the least impact on voter behaviour.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Its completely wrong, but dont let that stop you from spinning it into something that suits your narrative.

Feel free to point out the doorknocking that's happened in the ACT in the last 5 months? When they last phonebanked?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can't implement policy from opposition. 20% of the Green vote believes the Government is doing the right thing, or isn't being tough enough. The vast majority (61%) of Australia also share that view. This was from a polling agency (essential) that is typically has slightly lefter result.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 4, 2016

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

EvilElmo posted:

I didn't say you need to take other options. Just making sure they're treated more humanely while under detention would be a nice start.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

And hey, if you mount a campaign to change that opinion, then the polling changes, and you don't have to rape children!

The worst bit is the loving arrogance of the alp to think that the voters mind can't be changed with a successful campaign. It's the voters fault that manus exists, not the politicians who loving poo poo themselves when murdoch went "boo". Then you take that mindset and convince yourselves "that's the way things are" when you take massive bribes and are thankful for scraps when the boss committee lets you vote your own way on the Bill to Give Children one Free Ice Cream a Year (amendment to remove first-generation australians from the ice cream list) Second Reading

Pissweak coward you are, gently caress off the alp and also an especial gently caress you to chris bowen for his crimes against male grooming.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

asio posted:

And hey, if you mount a campaign to change that opinion, then the polling changes, and you don't have to rape children!

The worst bit is the loving arrogance of the alp to think that the voters mind can't be changed with a successful campaign. It's the voters fault that manus exists, not the politicians who loving poo poo themselves when murdoch went "boo". Then you take that mindset and convince yourselves "that's the way things are" when you take massive bribes and are thankful for scraps when the boss committee lets you vote your own way on the Bill to Give Children one Free Ice Cream a Year (amendment to remove first-generation australians from the ice cream list) Second Reading

Pissweak coward you are, gently caress off the alp and also an especial gently caress you to chris bowen for his crimes against male grooming.

Agree on the last part.

The Greens have been trying to change perceptions, yet 20% of your own voter base want the current arrangements or something tougher. Not even your full base agree. If you can't even get Green voters on side, it's going to be a very difficult battle, over many years, dedicated to only changing minds in marginal seats for it not to be an election issue.

All the hard work on a positive campaign, where the Government is only talking about this single issue over the life of a Parliament is impossible. Other issues will come up and a scare campaign by the Liberals will scrap any progress. It happened after Rudd got rid of the pacific solution.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

Agree on the last part.

The Greens have been trying to change perceptions, yet 20% of your own voter base want the current arrangements or something tougher. Not even your full base agree. If you can't even get Green voters on side, it's going to be a very difficult battle, over many years, dedicated to only changing minds in marginal seats for it not to be an election issue.

All the hard work on a positive campaign, where the Government is only talking about this single issue over the life of a Parliament is impossible. Other issues will come up and a scare campaign by the Liberals will scrap any progress. It happened after Rudd got rid of the pacific solution.

If you think it's too difficult maybe you should consider alternative activities to occupy your time :)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

Agree on the last part.

Remind us again who scrapped all that progress because they were scared they'd lose government?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
The polling in question: http://www.essentialvision.com.au/tag/approach-to-asylum-seekers

edit: Can't find anything more recently on just this issue. Happy to share if you have other polling.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Remind us again who scrapped all that progress because they were scared they'd lose government?

The ALP, because they were going to lost Government? Scroll down the above link and see how much the population wanted boats stopped.

asio posted:

If you think it's too difficult maybe you should consider alternative activities to occupy your time :)

The Federal Government is responsible for more than immigration policy.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 4, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

The polling in question: http://www.essentialvision.com.au/tag/approach-to-asylum-seekers

edit: Can't find anything more recently on just this issue. Happy to share if you have other polling.

Maybe that 20% of Greens have the same ridiculous idea that it's a necessary policy for the ALP to keep government. :shrug:

If the ALP are too cowardly to try and convince voters that it's a terrible policy they should ask the Hague to investigate members of both sides of government for crimes against humanity.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 4, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Feel free to point out the doorknocking that's happened in the ACT in the last 5 months? When they last phonebanked?

Im not up 100% on the ACT greens activites, but I can tell you, without any trace of doubt, that phone banking happens in other states, along with a shitload of doorknocking. Admittedly there isnt too much letterboxing going on, because apparently its not that effective a tactic, but to state "like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact." is just hilariously wrong.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
we dont want to have to deal with

CAAAARP

no we don't want to deal with

CAAARP

we gotta get rid of the

CAAARP

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I would literally torture children for political gain.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-04/asbestos-laden-products-being-imported-in-australia/7385122

quote:

Glaring weaknesses in regulations and border protection issues are allowing building products contaminated with potentially deadly asbestos into Australia, a Senate committee has warned.

In an interim report tabled late on Wednesday, the committee raised particular concern about "the ability of Australia's enforcement agencies to effectively police borders so that [contaminated products] are detected and prevented from entering Australia".

"At the moment, this area of enforcement appears to require substantial strengthening and should be a high priority for government," it read.

"The importation of banned materials, such as asbestos, raises very serious concerns about the capacity of Australian authorities to deal with this issue, particularly in light of our open and dynamic trade environment."

The report notes only two importers have been fined over asbestos-laced building material since tougher penalties were imposed in February 2014.

It said fines of up to $170,000 could be imposed, but only $64,000 in fines, penalties and costs had been issued since 2009.

The committee said the role of foreign governments in stopping contaminated products from leaving their shores should also be considered.

It has requested the inquiry be extended for a fourth time, to September 30, 2016, "due to the seriousness of the problem and the disjointed regulation of the use of building products, both manufactured in Australia and overseas".

Boarder security: Stopping brown people from getting into the country is more important than stopping Australian's from being killed by asbestos.

Look at how loving piss weak those fines are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Im not up 100% on the ACT greens activites, but I can tell you, without any trace of doubt, that phone banking happens in other states, along with a shitload of doorknocking. Admittedly there isnt too much letterboxing going on, because apparently its not that effective a tactic, but to state "like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact." is just hilariously wrong.

I know of at least three different doorknocking and three different phone banking initiatives by the Greens in the last fortnight or so, and at least one happening this week, just in my electorate and the ones immediately close to mine. I'd say the average age would be similar to that of the ALP ones I hear about--admittedly I know a lot of Young ALP/Young Greens so my immediate sample might skew the numbers a bit.

but you're definitely full of poo poo on this front EvilElmo

• Locked thread