Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Are there any other weapons with the swishy flourishy 2H moveset besides the Drakeblood Greatsword?
Nah, just those two.

Kinda wish the flamberge kept it, since it did have that moveset in DS2 and it was kinda unique in DS1 as well.

net cafe scandal posted:

Man the Hollowslayer GS must have some serious scaling issues later on for you guys to be so down about it but at +6 this thing completely shreds in PVP.
Yeah the scaling on it is really good. It does almost as much damage as a BKS on a quality build, but it's faster and has like half the stamina cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
For the whiners about pvp in this game, this is basically who you are siding with:

He summoned 2 instantly when I invaded. I was able to kill his 2 protectors and then he cut the cord on me.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
ill never understand why youd pull the cord instead of just dying to the invader. there arent really many points in the game where pulling the cord over dying would save any time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Szcwczuk posted:

For the whiners about pvp in this game, this is basically who you are siding with:

He summoned 2 instantly when I invaded. I was able to kill his 2 protectors and then he cut the cord on me.

Hmmm sounds like he may be onto something...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just keep saying Git Gud to any hatemail, regardless of what they send me.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

poptart_fairy posted:

I just keep saying Git Gud to any hatemail, regardless of what they send me.

Yeah, It was my 3rd cord puller in a row so I got mad. I guess that means he won?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Szcwczuk posted:

But what if I whine about people instantly summoning two protectors?

Also, hi, I finished my first playthrough yesterday and it loving owned. I'm now running down a checklist of poo poo to do before crossing over to NG+, but I plan on getting all rings anyway so I'm not gonna sweat it too much. I was really surprised when it turned out that my mad farming for Tongues to get the third Covenant rank was completely pointless as there are no third ranks for covenants. Oh well, at least I got maybe better at PvP? Though I still don't like it nearly as much as in DS2. Which is a shame, as it is far easier to get access to all forms!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Yeah, It was my 3rd cord puller in a row so I got mad. I guess that means he won?

Naw, them D/Cing will eventually cause a much harsher penalty than those few deaths they may have suffered. In a sense you've won more than you would have, unless you're actually trying to get covenant items.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Simply Simon posted:

But what if I whine about people instantly summoning two protectors?

I don't care about that. I even said that but whatever. I'm mad he pulled his cord on me after I killed his 2 shields. I guess play the way you want but if you want easy mode play offline and only ever go online for boss doors.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Szcwczuk posted:

I don't care about that. I even said that but whatever. I'm mad he pulled his cord on me after I killed his 2 shields. I guess play the way you want but if you want easy mode play offline and only ever go online for boss doors.
I was just joshing you. Mostly remarking that there is more than one way to whine about PvP :D. I also got the cord pulled on me a few times, which really surprised (and angered) me as it never happened in DS2 (or at least I didn't notice/the guy had lagged very heavily before anyway).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anri's with carthus rouge is hilarious. It's my bloody rear end.

chaos rhames posted:

It's probably both, it fits with ds2 and making Alva another crown-seeker.

All Alva wanted to do was bear seek seek lest. :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

If you get the Path of the Dragon in NG, does that mean you can go right to Archdragon Peak as soon as you get to Irithyll Dungeon in NG+? If that's the case then that's awesome.

BaconCopter posted:

I'm not sure if this only happens when you wait to do any of it until after Usurping the Flames (or just every NG+ run, as this is my first) but HOLY poo poo Archdragon's Peak is so much cooler blacked out after going through it multiple times with blue skies!

The blue skies were a refreshing change of pace for me, after having played through three games with red or gray skies. But what do you mean by "blacked out?" I haven't seen this before and I haven't been able to find anything that mentions this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been rocking the same outfit for awhile now but finally found something I liked more - the Black Hand hat and armor looks so pretty in cutscenes :swoon:

Kinda wish I'd made a Clint Eastwood hollow now. :clint:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Chard posted:

There's no use for more than one copy of a spell now, right? It would be kind of neat if attuning copies lowered the cast cost or something though.

It would be nice if they gave us multiple copies of spells for a reason and that some kind of foresight like that went into the casting profession...
Alas.

gtrmp posted:

I don't know if she'd meant to literally be Zullie - if they're the same person, why not use the same name?

Because being mysterious and vague for no reason is...something...
Anybody try talking to her with Alva's gear on? (I'm sure someone has if reddit has already moved onto that dumb crab, and I'm sure it does absolutely nothing.)

Jerusalem posted:

I've been rocking the same outfit for awhile now but finally found something I liked more - the Black Hand hat and armor looks so pretty in cutscenes :swoon:

The white/black outfits look a lot like the church gear from Bloodborne so I just keep thinking of that crazy nun who murders your baby momma.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Your Computer posted:

That looks great! I recognise the Xanthous armor and Pyromancer Crown but what's the rest?

Where can you get the pyromancer crown other than starting with it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StashAugustine posted:

Where can you get the pyromancer crown other than starting with it?

Cornyx sells it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Jerusalem posted:

The first DLC's only weapon, located after the last boss, is just a gun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've been wearing the Black Hand Armor with Alva's helmet and knight gauntlets/leggings, and it looks real nice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gologle posted:

The first DLC's only weapon, located after the last boss, is just a gun.

Kind of sad they didn't have a gun drop somewhere but make it almost useless like the shield in Bloodborne.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Are we steam friending people to whine to them? They have to friend accept you so you can whine? Lol

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Decrepus posted:

Are we steam friending people to whine to them? They have to friend accept you so you can whine? Lol

P sure he sent me the request.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I built one to +10 on my first playthrough to see how it was. It's bad, really low damage and can't be infused OR buffed. A PVE weapon that is worse than other non-PVE weapons in any category. The only thing it has going for it is the L2-R1 auto shield break, but why not just use a kick (kick is faster)? Prime example of an over-balanced DS2 weapon that simply did not survive the transition from DS2 (in DS2 it was an ok offhand for the dual wielding/powerstance moveset because of it's weight I believe, which is not in DS3.)

Literally an oversized bottle-opener.

It's a boss soul weapon, only goes up to +5 with titanite scale.

I'm about to start from scratch, *force* myself into an archetype, and not waste any loving titanite.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I built one to +10 on my first playthrough to see how it was. It's bad, really low damage and can't be infused OR buffed. A PVE weapon that is worse than other non-PVE weapons in any category. The only thing it has going for it is the L2-R1 auto shield break, but why not just use a kick (kick is faster)? Prime example of an over-balanced DS2 weapon that simply did not survive the transition from DS2 (in DS2 it was an ok offhand for the dual wielding/powerstance moveset because of it's weight I believe, which is not in DS3.)

Literally an oversized bottle-opener.

It only goes to +5.

That said, it was buffed a week or so after release, pretty significantly, along with all other non-ultra greatswords. I'm not sure if you tried it out before or after the buff, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When I'm a Blue Sentinel: never get summoned.

When I'm Way of the Blue: rarely summoned, they come in late and sit down expecting a duel.

When I'm invading Way of the Blue: they are an elite fighting force who react instantly, mercilessly and are comprised of the finest Dark Souls PVPers in its community.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

When I'm a Blue Sentinel: never get summoned.

In both DS2 and DS3 I've been summoned as a blue sentinel maybe three times max.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 4, 2016

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

RBA Starblade posted:

In both DS2 and DS3 I've been summoned as a blue sentinels maybe three times max.

I have never been summoned as a sentinel, and I wore the sticker for most of DS3. Once I got the "You are being summoned..."-message, but then it just failed to connect. Pro design right here.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

RBA Starblade posted:

In both DS2 and DS3 I've been summoned as a blue sentinel maybe three times max.

I have only even gotten the summoning message ONCE, in Anor Londo, but then it said unable to be summoned or something. So GG no re. Good thing I don't care about any of the covenant rewards for the Darkmoon peeps.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Strange, Blue Sentinels has worked for me far better than it ever did in DS2, even right after launch. There are just far more invasions in DS3 in general because guess what, attaching a reward for success makes people more likely to want to do them not just to be a dick. What didn't really work was Watchdogs, but that was at a time where I was going crazy with exploring everywhere and leveling up, so it's not really surprising.

I also get a bluecop almost every time I invade myself, so it can't be that noone is running around as Way of the Blue. Is it possible to switch to it after you see that you get invaded, and you can still get assistance?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How do I decide between Lightning Blade, Darkmoon Blade, and Dark Blade? They're identical except for damage type, right? Any of them hold any particular advantage for PVP?

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

ZenVulgarity posted:

I run way of the blue and just sit there so invaders get forked tongues

That's awesome! Good idea. Think I'll try to start doing that when I PVE as well. As a avid invader, I appreciate that fair chance. 90% of my invades are me getting my poo poo pushed in by 2 or 3 other players. Which is fine. I mean, good for them. I'm sure it was fun.

That 10% I win though is so so sweet. The taste of victory keeps me going back. Especially the rare 1 vs 2 victories. Never managed to kill all 3 on a 1 vs 3 invasion but I can sometimes take down a few of them with me.

I've never minded losing an invasion in these souls games. The way I see it, I'm creating memories.

Demons Souls 1 v 1 was thrilling. I had imported the game so it felt like we were both involved in something that we weren't even supposed to be doing. It was a new thrill and it seemed like we were learning exactly how to git gud at the same time. Just like the rest of the community who had no idea what the hell they were doing.

Dark Souls I pre orderd and invasions were a rare thing for a while there before things really heated up months later. Playing cat and mouse in Blight town was unbelievable intense and I learned to never enter the forest alone. Ever. Loved every second of it. Being able to invade without the host knowing via message was dirty and awesome and not a lot of people knew how you could do that for a while. Heh, wish they'd bring it back. It made for a lot more of a "suprise mother fucker!" and "Oh poo poo!' moments.

DS2, okay... a little less memorable as there were many more invasions. I really enjoyed the sin system. I had my "evil" PVP character and would welcome the blue invasions since I really had it coming. Also, this is the time I started getting hate messages after my red invasion victories. Wow, people take their deaths serious. Hahaha, good times.

DS3 seems just nuts now so unfortunately the average run of the mill invasion doesn't stand out quite as much but its still a lot of fun. It's so easy to record videos on the PS4 now too, so that's good. It adds a certain element of "oh drat that was cool. Gonna make a good video" to every PVP instance. I have quite the collection going now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

I also get a bluecop almost every time I invade myself, so it can't be that noone is running around as Way of the Blue. Is it possible to switch to it after you see that you get invaded, and you can still get assistance?

It locks you in while a phantom is loading in the game, so if you're not already way of the blue you can't switch and call for help. You also can't actually summon phantoms while the invader is trying to load.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

How do I decide between Lightning Blade, Darkmoon Blade, and Dark Blade? They're identical except for damage type, right? Any of them hold any particular advantage for PVP?

Dark Weapon is weaker. I'm pretty sure.

Lightning and Darkmoon Blade do identical damage--pick the one that looks cooler to you. It's hard to say if either has a damage type advantage in PvP. In PvE, lightning is probably more widely-applicable than magic damage, but it's pretty even for PvP.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where the frick is the faraam set

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I haven't used it at higher levels much, but I think the hollowslayer is deceptively good. The 'C' scaling was better for me than 'A' scaling on my sellsword twinblades and it seems to do decently with strength, too. And the moveset is excellent for a greatsword. Don't be fooled by the flashy HEMA stances, it's quite practical. The weapon is best used two-handed and really favors the light attacks. You can poise through just about anything, even hits that would pancake you normally, during a large portion of the animation. Your attacks use very little stamina for their impact and the third hit comes out very fast, so you do more damage than you'd expect if you can pull off a long combo.

I gave up on the dancer's enchanted swords and respecced to use another weird weapon - the golden ritual spear. It's actually quite good! The spear itself is short and doesn't do a huge amount of damage (but it's only +4 and at 45 faith and the damage is still scaling aggressively, about 4 points of damage per point of faith), but it has very low stamina usage and it is quite strong as a catalyst. I saw someone on reddit say it's only slightly weaker than the court sorcerer's staff when maxed out at 60 faith. It has low physical requirements, so the int investment sucks, but isn't unmanageable and you have access to top tier miracles as well. Plus, being able to combine spear pokes with flashsword slashes is cool as hell. It requires such steep stat investment that it could hardly be considered a top-tier weapon, but if you don't mind not putting a single point into vitality or endurance (feasible since rolling is so cheap and both the flashsword and the pokes use very little stamina) then it's a lot of fun.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SciFiDownBeat posted:

If you get the Path of the Dragon in NG, does that mean you can go right to Archdragon Peak as soon as you get to Irithyll Dungeon in NG+? If that's the case then that's awesome.

The blue skies were a refreshing change of pace for me, after having played through three games with red or gray skies. But what do you mean by "blacked out?" I haven't seen this before and I haven't been able to find anything that mentions this.

I didn't see anyone answer this but yes you can go straight to archdragon peak as soon as you get to dungeon if you have the gesture in ng+.

You can also do it just by cheesing dancer and getting someone to help kill ocerios which isn't that hard. It's how I get enough twinkling titanite for my low level invaders using boss weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Where the frick is the faraam set

Kill an NPC enemy late in the Grand Archives and then buy it from the Shrine Handmaid. The enemy isn't an invader so you don't have to Ember for him to be there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Dark Weapon is weaker. I'm pretty sure.

It's very slightly weaker than Darkmoon and Lightning Blade. The real issue is that you need to use a Dark-scaling talisman/chime for it, and the Dark Miracles loving suck this time around. I guess Dorhy's is alright for bleeding certain bosses, but you may as well just get some Warden's Twinblades and go 35 LCK instead of loving around with that garbage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I haven't used it at higher levels much, but I think the hollowslayer is deceptively good. The 'C' scaling was better for me than 'A' scaling on my sellsword twinblades and it seems to do decently with strength, too. And the moveset is excellent for a greatsword. Don't be fooled by the flashy HEMA stances, it's quite practical. The weapon is best used two-handed and really favors the light attacks. You can poise through just about anything, even hits that would pancake you normally, during a large portion of the animation. Your attacks use very little stamina for their impact and the third hit comes out very fast, so you do more damage than you'd expect if you can pull off a long combo.

I gave up on the dancer's enchanted swords and respecced to use another weird weapon - the golden ritual spear. It's actually quite good! The spear itself is short and doesn't do a huge amount of damage (but it's only +4 and at 45 faith and the damage is still scaling aggressively, about 4 points of damage per point of faith), but it has very low stamina usage and it is quite strong as a catalyst. I saw someone on reddit say it's only slightly weaker than the court sorcerer's staff when maxed out at 60 faith. It has low physical requirements, so the int investment sucks, but isn't unmanageable and you have access to top tier miracles as well. Plus, being able to combine spear pokes with flashsword slashes is cool as hell. It requires such steep stat investment that it could hardly be considered a top-tier weapon, but if you don't mind not putting a single point into vitality or endurance (feasible since rolling is so cheap and both the flashsword and the pokes use very little stamina) then it's a lot of fun.
I tried the "R1 and Flashsword" combo with the Immolation Tinder, that's also pretty fun, but ultimately I settled on various Greatswords. Most of the game I had Executioner's because it's just really good in general, fast, breaks poise like a motherfucker, great damage especially on the charged R2s, the FP gain is just a little bonus. Then Dragonslayer's because it looked good on paper and I was amazed that even though it has elements on it, it could be infused AND enchanted, with Crystal Magic Weapon it's a force to behold. But I think the most fun I had with the Moonlight Greatsword. It's really quite versatile and even with average Int (32), all of its special attacks do serious damage. And it itself, too. I beat the final boss first try with it after a number of losses with the Dragonslayer GS + CMW, because I felt no time pressure to bring damage in before the buff ran out, because a good L2 is quick enough to apply in some situations and will gently caress the boss up, and because after the big combo and explosion, you can hang outside the range and get a good R2 hit in. Just a really good weapon all around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having tried out the various magic types, I really, honestly can only recommend going Pyro if you want to cast spells at any point during the game, or maybe Miracles if you want to try to trick people into running into Sunlight Spears. It's obnoxious how straight-up better all of the Pyro spells are compared to their equivalents in other schools. Even their Dark spells require no special stat investment over the normal ones (and are mostly just "your basic spells, but stronger") and can be used optimally with the basic catalyst you start the game with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
re: Karla/Zullie again - I looked at Zullie's stuff from DS2 and SOTFS actually added a line to it (bold):

When Zullie the Witch Learned of Alva's dedication to Saint Serreta, she used all manner of tricks and deceit to ruin him, but in the end she would spend her life with him, supporting his endeavors. The witch, as unloving as she was unloved, finally found illumination through her blighted existence.

SOTFS also added to the description of Alva's set:

Alva crossed many a land in search of a cure for Saint Serreta's sickness, but failed and relinquished his knighthood. Alva was once wracked with guilt and remorse, but rediscovered his purpose in life with the aid of the witch who once plotted against him.

To restate the two spells Karla starts with:

A forbidden dark sorcery. Casts a dark manifestation of humanity. It appears to be an expression of envy, or perhaps love towards another, that will tenaciously pursue its target. Even if, like so many human desires, it amounts to nothing but misfortune.

A forbidden dark sorcery. Strikes with blade formed of humanity's darkness. Passed from mother to daughter, this blade was intended for both protection and as a means of taking one's own life. The young girl never swung it more than once.

Karla is Zullie/Alva's kid (and Zullie may very well be a fragment like Nashandra&Co), but for some reason she ended up being unwanted- maybe as descendants of the Abyss, both she and her mother wanted Alva's attention to themselves. Zullie told her to :frogout: or maybe tried to kill her, she killed Zullie to protect herself, now Alva chases her everywhere except then he got too old and died. Or maybe he made it to her but could not find the keys to get her out. :darksouls: This doesn't precisely explain why he attacks you, unless he was "just checking". During her flight, she came to regret everything she had done.

Something happening with Alva/Zullie/Karla is also supported by Alva's set: To this day, troubadours sing of tales of the Wandering knight Alva and his travels, and of his involvement with the saint and the witch. Needless to say, the songs traditionally end in tragedy.

Also you can get her set by giving the handmaiden the Prisoner Chief's Ashes, not just Karla's Ashes, if the wiki is correct. :ohdear: Also consider her dialogue when you first meet her, she thinks you are one of the jailers and says "Oh, there you are. I thought you'd all but forgotten me. How sweet. Good to know that a skinny little heretic can still turn heads."

She also has a line about you and how she has become attached to you: "Oh, are you lost on your journey? No matter. Today's loss (conquers tomorrow?). It only demonstrates the makings of a champion. And besides, whatever your choice, it will not change my sense of gratitude, or how I think of you. One can become quite attached, even to a bumbling apprentice. Oh, I'm hardly serious [giggles]."

Also her witch clothes are stinky, second only to Fallen Knight Trousers fyi.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 4, 2016