Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've been avoiding saying this because people on this forum love accusing me of using things like this as a shield, but today has been very trying for a variety of reasons and I really would like to just minimize things causing me anxiety. I'm trying very hard to wind certain lines of discussion down.

Of course I could just stop replying. So. Yeah. Meh.

The wonderful thing about internet forums is this: You don't owe anyone poo poo. Except the $10 for being able to post here, which I think is safe to assume you've already paid.

There's a reason I post here and not in chat rooms or Reddit or wherever and that's because I actually get the opportunity to step back and think about the things I post. If I'm talking about something and someone asks a question that I don't immediately have the answer to, I can stop and think for a few minutes before I respond, or look up more info, or even just mull on it a bit. I may change my mind, I may not. I've changed my mind a hundred thousand times over since joining CineD. When I first joined, I praised the poo poo out of the MCU and thought every movie had an objective "amount" of quality that could be judged. Now, not so much.

So if you feel you need to take a step back and think, or rest, or whatever you wanna do for a few minutes, or hours, or days or weeks, go right ahead. It's totally understandable if you just do not have the energy right now. I go through that a lot too. Come back when you're feeling better, and if anyone tries to poo poo talk you for doing that, gently caress 'em. Nobody likes them anyways.

And if I ever made you feel like you can't discuss or vent about your handicaps or needs, I don't have any advice other than that I'm genuinely, truly sorry. It was mega lovely of me to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The MSJ posted:

Marvel did a survey and found out that an "overwhelming" number of respondents wants a Black Widow movie. I'm honestly surprised it's not happening sooner (maybe because Perlmutter was in charge?).

I want a god drat Vision movie.I didn't know I wanted it until that weird cannonball attack during the Civil War airport fight. I want more weird dumb poo poo like that bit it works because Vision.

Make it Black Widow and Vision. That even sounds awesome on paper. :colbert:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 4, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/george-takei-dr-strange-casting-is-insulting.html

I loving love George Takei

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

The only god-tier comic to me is Calvin & Hobbes. All it got was a documentary though.

That's entirely due to Watterson nixing all adaptations, though. If Bill hadn't stood in the way you can bet there'd be a ton of C&H merchandise and animated TV series and movies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Far Side better anyways........

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Actually it was good casting based on the actress' history and the trailer, gently caress the comic books

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Actually it was good casting based on the actress' history and the trailer, gently caress the comic books

'comic books' weren't the reason it's a bad call. You should try reading the link.

Tilda Swinton is great. She's always great. There's absolutely no reason to preclude Asian performers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

They should have been respectful of the original material when making their casting decision.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Takei also dramatically underestimates what a pissy bitch China can be.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

I liked "This is how I roll. That's how you roll!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Takei also dramatically underestimates what a pissy bitch China can be.

Then cast an Asian american and make the character not Tibetan.

Also, if the reason is "we will make less money, that's why we continued to perpetuate the marginalization of a people" gently caress that and gently caress them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's amazing how a casting choice can be seen as progressive and backwards at the same time. Personally I don't really care in comic book movies/series if it gives great actors work. Black Kingpin, black Heimdall, half-Indian & white Mandarin, black Human Torch, white Ancient One, black Baron Mordo. I'm glad we got/get to see all those performances without race playing a role.

...when it comes down to more serious movies like Exodus: Gods & Kings it gets a bit awkward though.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 4, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

There's over 100 fictional countries listed in the Marvel wiki, I'm sure they could have figured something out. Especially since we've already had Sokovia and Wakanda in the MCU.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Wheeee posted:

They should have been respectful of the original material when making their casting decision.

I get the need to avoid outdated stereotypes, but was it really that hard to write the Ancient One as an interesting, inoffensive character who happens to be Asian? Like, take inspiration from Obi-Wan instead of Pai Mai from Kill Bill.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TMNT 2 is going to make a billion dollars.

Looks so good!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well now

https://twitter.com/ChrisRa7en/status/725834096950145024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bruce and Diana first date confirmed!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

Bruce and Diana first date confirmed!

His car's still in the shop, so he got a company loaner.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

bring back old gbs posted:

I want a god drat Vision movie.I didn't know I wanted it until that weird cannonball attack during the Civil War airport fight. I want more weird dumb poo poo like that bit it works because Vision.

Make it Black Widow and Vision. That even sounds awesome on paper. :colbert:

Just piping up to second this. The current Vision comic is even kind of a self-contained story, with Vision making himself a robot wife and kids and trying to get them to be a normal human family (Avengering when necessary, of course) in the suburbs. Things don't go great. And if Marvel movies always turn out better when mixed with other genres, why not drama/horror (things really don't go great)?

Even if it wasn't that, I'd still see the hell out of a Vision movie. Have him do anything, I don't care. I really only mention the book because it's a good story so far, and I need something to come out of it because I want more Vision in dad outfits. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/4/11591704/avengers-infinity-war-retitle-russo-brothers-marvel

So that's news

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Avengers: Dawn of Thanos

Avengers: Return to Status Quo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's no way that, after all of this buildup, they're going to be able to properly pay-off the Thanos storyline in a single movie. He's definitely going to end up being major anti-climax, I don't see any way around it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not a huge fan of these multi-movie stories anyway. They payoff is never worth it. One movie is always significantly shittier than the others.

edit: vv That may be, never heard of those movies. I'm talking more about movies with action in them.

edit2: I'm still pissed about the lovely ending of Hobbit 2. Hobbit 2 ends on a cliffhanger that gets resolved completely within the first 10 minutes of Hobbit 3.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 4, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen Sunrise in a few years so I may need to re-evaluate, but I don't think there's a weak link in Linklater's Before Trilogy

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, if the reason is "we will make less money, that's why we continued to perpetuate the marginalization of a people" gently caress that and gently caress them.

I believe the screenwriter also mentioned that changing the character to a member of another Asian culture was also problematic, on the sense it treats them like they're interchangeable.

I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but that's the logic. Personally, I think the only morally right decision would be to stand up to China and not release the film there, keeping the character intact.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

TFRazorsaw posted:

I believe the screenwriter also mentioned that changing the character to a member of another Asian culture was also problematic, on the sense it treats them like they're interchangeable.

I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but that's the logic. Personally, I think the only morally right decision would be to stand up to China and not release the film there, keeping the character intact.

I agree, but companies like money a bit more than moral integrity, sadly.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ya better they make em white & treat em as disposable instead

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I get that race causes controversy in movies, but I'm curious how it really affects the bottom line. Sure people can comment on black Heimdall* or whatever, but did people really decide to not see Thor just because of that? It seems to suggest that there are people that were planning on seeing these movies but then decided not to after they heard the casting. It doesn't seem to take into account people that went to see Thor specifically because of black Heimdall. There's also the idea that there's no such thing as bad press, so just by being a news story you could have conceivably made Thor more popular. Am I vastly underestimating the amount of hardcore racism that exists? I just can't put myself in the mindset of a person that sees a movie trailer and says "Every character isn't white. I am going to pass on this movie."

*note: this isn't about Heimdall specifically, just an example

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 4, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya better they make em white & treat em as disposable instead

Like I already said, I don't agree with the decision. I just don't think we should be making equally bad ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I get that race causes controversy in movies, but I'm curious how it really affects the bottom line. Sure people can comment on black Heimdall* or whatever, but did people really decide to not see Thor just because of that? It seems to suggest that there are people that were planning on seeing these movies but then decided not to after they heard the casting. It doesn't seem to take into account people that went to see Thor specifically because of black Heimdall. There's also the idea that there's no such thing as bad press, so just by being a news story you could have conceivably made Thor more popular. Am I vastly underestimating the amount of hardcore racism that exists? I just can't put myself in the mindset of a person that sees a movie trailer and says "Every character isn't white. I am going to pass on this movie."

*note: this isn't about Heimdall specifically, just an example

There is a recent movie where the casting of almost entirely white people in roles that REALLY shouldn't have been caused a big enough stir to destroy it.

Gods of Egypt. EVERYONE piled onto that movie

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I don't think that's what killed Gods of Egypt.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

I don't think that's what killed Gods of Egypt.

It sure as gently caress didn't do it ANY favors.

People savaged the movie just because of the total white washing it did.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

There is a recent movie where the casting of almost entirely white people in roles that REALLY shouldn't have been caused a big enough stir to destroy it.

Gods of Egypt. EVERYONE piled onto that movie

Gods of Egypt is a really extreme example. That movie is totally deserving of its criticism. I'm talking about fairly minor race changes like Kingpin or Perry White.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

It sure as gently caress didn't do it ANY favors.

It probably did among certain demographics in certain states ....

:negative:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It probably did among certain demographics in certain states ....

:negative:

To add on to what I saying before, are there actually people that weren't going to go see Gods of Egypt but then saw all the white people and thought "finally! a movie just for me!"? I just find that hard to believe. The argument always seems to be about what the audience wants, but I'm just wondering where the evidence is to support that the majority of the audience even cares. Gods of Egypt being the exception just because of how hilariously obvious it was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To add on to what I saying before, are there actually people that weren't going to go see Gods of Egypt but then saw all the white people and thought "finally! a movie just for me!"?

I'm guessing it was more a case that they saw a bunch of SJWs bitching about it and decided to support it just to spite them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gods of Egypt had loads of black people.

...it's just that 99% of them were Black Panther Thoth's copies of himself.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Are we talking about Gods of Egypt? Oh good, I love Gods of Egypt.

Seriously, maybe 'love's' kinda strong but it was an entertaining movie and doesn't deserve nearly the amount of crap it's gotten. It's edited like a fever dream esp. when racing through the first 15 minutes. The setpieces and the gods with their different looks/powers are all realized with a lot of imagination and distinctiveness. It's a good-rear end fantasy movie is what I'm driving at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

It's edited like a fever dream esp. when racing through the first 15 minutes. The setpieces and the gods with their different looks/powers are all realized with a lot of imagination and distinctiveness. It's a good-rear end fantasy movie is what I'm driving at.

Sounds like Batman v Superman fans should love it.

• Locked thread