Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Everyone wants DS3 in DS2's engine.

Please no. I really don't like how DS2 plays. Maybe it's the animations, but I just don't like the feel of that one at all.

Vermain posted:

All I want is a Dark Souls title in the Dragon's Dogma engine.

A game with Souls level design and Dragon's Dogma-style combat and magic would be rad as hell. 10/10 would preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm about to start over totally. Going to farm find and horde all the titanite I can and stock with a play stye the whole game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the bane of pvp is that fromsoft keeps hiring this guy to design everything related to multiplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWmVC3Cikc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, I'm invading in archdragon instead of archives and it's worlds different. Giant seeds actually hurt the invadees since I can pull a train.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

voltcatfish posted:

No, the estus is

I really guess I don't understand the estus mechanic at all because in PvE if I get hit while drinking estus I either:

1) Don't drink estus
2) Get smashed for almost all that estus restored (even when I was +10)

In PvP it seems like estus drinking is immediate and the animation is still the same length.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Buschmaki posted:

Having 30 vit and being able to equip anything I want feels so freeing, I encourage everyone to give it a try.

I needed something hilariously stupid like 70VIT to equip a full black knight armor set, shield, and greatsword.

e: iirc I had to sit in front of Rosaria testing the equip weight rings too and then respeccing a couple times since you can't see your equip weight total with the rings on the respec screen

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 4, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the purpose of Gank squads? Just to troll invaders? It's so weird due to no rewards.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Harrow posted:

Please no. I really don't like how DS2 plays. Maybe it's the animations, but I just don't like the feel of that one at all.

Bone fist and Cestsus say screw you. :colbert: If I had DS2's moveset, I could dragon kick invaders off cliffs.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
What are the best spells for a hybrid magic user, with about 30ish int for CMW at least? Ie spells with good utility or base damage. I'd go all out for 40 int, but I've heard that's only where decent magic damage starts. Also, mainly for pve, really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Bone fist and Cestsus say screw you. :colbert: If I had DS2's moveset, I could dragon kick invaders off cliffs.

I mean, there are definitely some weapon movesets I wish got carried over, that's for sure. I'm very glad the Drakeblood Greatsword/Mirrah (Hollowslayer) Greatsword kept their two-handed movesets, at least, I always liked that one.

Bring back the Bone Fist for sure.

Viperix posted:

What are the best spells for a hybrid magic user, with about 30ish int for CMW at least? Ie spells with good utility or base damage. I'd go all out for 40 int, but I've heard that's only where decent magic damage starts. Also, mainly for pve, really.

Yeah, all-out isn't 40 Intelligence: it's 60 Intelligence. You're right that 40 is about when the good scaling starts.

Thanks to how split damage works in this, Crystal Magic Weapon at 30 Intelligence isn't going to be worth it. It'll be better than a resin, but only by a little bit. If you want to really make damage sorcery work, you've got to be prepared to exceed 40 Intelligence, to 50 at least and 60 ideally.

If you want to be a true hybrid, you will get good damage out of Crystal Magic Weapon at 50 Intelligence, but that's a very heavy investment. If what you want is a buffing build, before NG+ your best bet is going to be a raw weapon (Astora Straight Sword is probably the best option for raw) and go all-in on Intelligence. Once you're in NG+ you can start increasing your physical stats and scale your weapon as well. You can probably pull off 40 Dex/50 Int and still have enough Vigor and Endurance for PvE purposes in NG+.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 4, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fuligin posted:

Ludleth has some weird dialogue that suggests being burned alive, there. I wonder if originally when you offer up the lords his death was gonna be a little more traumatic

You should try killing Ludleth.

GulagDolls posted:

the bane of pvp is that fromsoft keeps hiring this guy to design everything related to multiplayer

I refuse to believe this isn't a parody.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 4, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GulagDolls posted:

ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when modern gaming holds your hand through everything. You know what made a lot of NES games fun? That you had to figure it all out on your own.

Dark Souls may be hard as gently caress at first but I'm glad I played through it and while I'm having a tough time on the sorcerer playthrough, I enjoy it in a weird way because it's challenging and fun.

EDIT:
I knew a guy who literally mapped out every single loving tree in Zelda and went around Xing them off burning them looking for the dungeons in second quest.

Play NES Zelda with maps and poo poo and it's super easy and lame. You know, like every Zelda game in the modern era.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a condition for Alva to spawn? That's twice I've ran past his area embered and he never showed. I got Creighton's sweet gear though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You might try walking down to the end of the crumbled staircase, but last time I just ran into the hall and he spawned anyway. He may not spawn if you kill Yhorm, but killing Pontiff is okay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a condition for Alva to spawn? That's twice I've ran past his area embered and he never showed. I got Creighton's sweet gear though.

I don't know, but the wiki says he won't show up if Yhorm is dead.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

GulagDolls posted:

What the gently caress is this.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's important to remember that when you compare DS2 and DS3 right now, you're comparing a game released a month and a half ago in japan (and three weeks in the west) against a game with three DLCs, a re-release, and years of balancing updates. DS2 was IMO utter garbage when it first came out, while right before DS3 I would have said it had the best PvP in the series, including BB.

It will take a while for us to get used to DS3, and for From to balance and update the game. but I'm prepared to call DS3 the best game in the series. DS1 might be my favorite but I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

I mean, there are definitely some weapon movesets I wish got carried over, that's for sure. I'm very glad the Drakeblood Greatsword/Mirrah (Hollowslayer) Greatsword kept their two-handed movesets, at least, I always liked that one.

Bring back the Bone Fist for sure.

Yeah, all-out isn't 40 Intelligence: it's 60 Intelligence. You're right that 40 is about when the good scaling starts.

Thanks to how split damage works in this, Crystal Magic Weapon at 30 Intelligence isn't going to be worth it. It'll be better than a resin, but only by a little bit. If you want to really make damage sorcery work, you've got to be prepared to exceed 40 Intelligence, to 50 at least and 60 ideally.

If you want to be a true hybrid, you will get good damage out of Crystal Magic Weapon at 50 Intelligence, but that's a very heavy investment. If what you want is a buffing build, before NG+ your best bet is going to be a raw weapon (Astora Straight Sword is probably the best option for raw) and go all-in on Intelligence. Once you're in NG+ you can start increasing your physical stats and scale your weapon as well. You can probably pull off 40 Dex/50 Int and still have enough Vigor and Endurance for PvE purposes in NG+.

Interesting. Because I don't want to play a pure sorcerer, but I want to make decent use of sorceries. Is raw+buff enough damage to be viable against late game bosses, whom I intend to fight mostly in melee?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Szcwczuk posted:

I don't believe that video is real

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I liked PVP in all the souls games. PVP was by far the best part of DS2 minus the AIDS invasion mechanics

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mpc4utube had hundreds of such videos.

check out the other one on that channel where he talks about how the message system is broken because he walks past a message, turns around, sees that it says 'go straight ahead,' and walks back in the direction he came from lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Viperix posted:

Interesting. Because I don't want to play a pure sorcerer, but I want to make decent use of sorceries. Is raw+buff enough damage to be viable against late game bosses, whom I intend to fight mostly in melee?
I played through the game with 20 STR/Dex and 30 Int, I would call it a viable build :D. Prepare to be disappointed by anything that doesn't have "Soul Arrow" in the name, though I think the weapon buffs add enough damage to be worth it. I never ever bothered with Resins in a Souls game, so I don't see the point in starting now. Also you can use the Moonlight Greatsword and it's loving great. Also possibly the only reason to use Repair.

Other cool sorceries: Spook is great to get backstabs, Hidden Body for some boss runs, Chameleon of course as fun as always and uh I DID use the Homing spells in some invasions...to flush out other Chameleon users.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

I've decided that the person in the video is trolling and I will let nothing convince me otherwise.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it's important to remember that when you compare DS2 and DS3 right now, you're comparing a game released a month and a half ago in japan (and three weeks in the west) against a game with three DLCs, a re-release, and years of balancing updates. DS2 was IMO utter garbage when it first came out, while right before DS3 I would have said it had the best PvP in the series, including BB.

It will take a while for us to get used to DS3, and for From to balance and update the game. but I'm prepared to call DS3 the best game in the series. DS1 might be my favorite but I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia.

The response to this over on Reddit--where the PvP community is real down on DS3--is that some of the issues with DS3 are baked into the very bones of the game (fast Estus, for example) and probably can't be changed in a patch without really upsetting what PvE balance there is.

Because I'm like 90% in this for the PvE, I'm not quite as bothered by that as a lot of people are, so I'm with you re: balance--anything that bothers me about the balance now is something that will probably change around DLC time, and that's cool, because that's when I'm going to come back and play more.

Viperix posted:

Depending on the weapon you make Raw, yeah.

But, and I'm saying this as someone who is super into caster hybrids, I'd advise examining what you really want out of your character. If you're planning on fighting the bosses mostly in melee, do you really need the extra layer of casting a buff spell? Alternatively, do you like buff spells enough that you'd rather have those than an infused weapon and probably stronger offensive spells? Or, if you only want the offensive spells so you have a nice ranged option to fall back on outside of bosses, have you considered just using a bow?

The conclusion I came to was that doing a quality build with a good bow gave me pretty much everything I wanted my hypothetical sorcery or faith + melee hybrid to do, without the extra layer of casting spells to buff myself or needing to use elementally-infused weapons. You could also get 15-20 Intelligence just for the really neat utility spells sorcery offers, like Spook or Chameleon.

If, on the other hand, you just think spells are the coolest poo poo and make things more fun because they are spells, then go for the hybrid--you'll be plenty effective. Maybe go 16 Strength and super-high Intelligence and enjoy the Moonlight Greatsword, which is fun and cool as usual.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I don't know, but the wiki says he won't show up if Yhorm is dead.

Haven't done that yet. Maybe I'm not going far enough into the dungeon area?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Haven't done that yet. Maybe I'm not going far enough into the dungeon area?

He shows up between the Distant Manor bonfire and the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire--you shouldn't need to go any further than that.

I'm not sure if there are any other conditions. He showed up first time for me, when I went there pre-Pontiff. Maybe I had to light the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire first, but I don't really remember. (Don't do that until after Greirat comes back from his Irithyll trip if you want Siegward to save him, FYI.)

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

You should try killing Ludleth.

I refuse to believe this isn't a parody.

It's a really good one. Best bit when he calmly mentions he got the shield from talking to Oscar even though you only get a shield from killing Oscar. Good and subtle.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
:getin: before it gets patched friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5506OYl-U

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT:
I knew a guy who literally mapped out every single loving tree in Zelda and went around Xing them off burning them looking for the dungeons in second quest.

Play NES Zelda with maps and poo poo and it's super easy and lame. You know, like every Zelda game in the modern era.
Playing Zelda with maps and poo poo is infinitely less lame than burning every tree on the map one by one lmao

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Simply Simon posted:

It might be that there is a considerable difference between my 32 Int and your 50, especially considering that you're ont gonna use the Heretic's Staff anymore at that point. Also, I haven't tested, like, extensively. It just always was really underwhelming. I like how you think with the different applications for spells, though :D.

What I have wondered for a while and always shied away from testing because Twinkling upgrade path is how the Dark catalysts compare. I now have enough Twinks but I still can't do easy testing because Izalith scales with Faith (apparently ONLY for Dark spells, though?) and I have 16 Faith, so unless I get that up to 32 too, I don't think I'll be able to find it out on my own. It's really weird but maybe just their way of sneaking in the DS2 Hex scaling mechanics through the backdoor, as with the "appropriate" staff, you will still need both stats high to deal good damage.
Also, I have heard from a few sources now that there isn't even that much difference between using the dedicated Dark catalyst versus just the best normal one (because, well, that one scales better) so it seems moot anyway unless they adjust numbers. Which is kind of a shame!

Ah, yeah, that'd do it. I was around 40 Int when I first got access to Soulmass and Affinity, they may take a while to get rolling from 32. Speaking of, this reminds me to test if the Dart spells are actually worth using at like 60 Int, with the way defense works they may actually be useful at that point? I know Flashsword is good way before then though... I don't think I've actually touched Dart since I was around 30 Int.

As far as catalysts go, I totally feel for you on the Twinkling Titanite thing, especially since I was using the Pontiff Knight Curved Sword as my primary melee weapon for a while. However, so far as I can tell this is how it works: The Dark Catalysts scale their Spell Buff with both Int and Faith, but the number shown is only applied to Dark spells, the part of it that comes from Faith doesn't affect normal Sorceries. However, they also have a rather large bonus to Dark damage completely independent of your Faith - and I do mean large.

Here's some helpful numbers. With 50 Int and 15 Faith, my spell buff with Court Sorcerer's Staff+10 is 202, and with Izalith Staff+5 is 186. Tested on the hollows outside Firelink.
Court Sorcerer's Staff, Bellowing and Young Dragon Rings, Dusk Crown(Only affects Magic damage):
Dark Edge: 586 damage
Crystal SS: 979 damage

Add the Dark Clutch Ring:
Dark Edge: 674 damage

Izalith Staff, Bellowing and Young, Dusk Crown:
Dark Edge: 662 damage
Crystal SS: 900 damage

Add the Dark Clutch Ring:
Dark Edge: 762 damage

Swap the Dark Clutch Ring for the Priestess' Ring, bringing my Faith to 20 and the Izalith Staff's Spell Buff to 189
Dark Edge: 704 damage
Crystal SS: 900 damage

Try the Storyteller's Staff+4, with 188 Spell Buff:
Dark Edge: 538 damage
Crystal SS: 913 damage

So the mileage I was getting out of my 15 Faith wasn't very high - the 188 Spell Buff Storyteller's Staff barely outdamaged the Izalith Staff for normal spells, but the effect on Dark spells was very much there. There's a dark-damage boosting element to the Izalith Staff that doesn't care what your Faith is - and it was definitely stronger than the Dark Clutch ring when the gap between the Court and Izalith's spell buff was smaller. Hope that helps out, maybe the gap is smaller at like 60 Int, but Izalith is significantly better for dark spells even at low Faith for me at 50.

Mimingless fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 4, 2016

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Harrow posted:

The response to this over on Reddit--where the PvP community is real down on DS3--is that some of the issues with DS3 are baked into the very bones of the game (fast Estus, for example) and probably can't be changed in a patch without really upsetting what PvE balance there is.

The Reddit assburger psykers mind melded with the binary codes of the Dark Souls III encryption databases and saw the secret truths of the game's software design pitfalls. Through their interpretation (and many years as offical GameStop game experts) they have deduced that the programmers at FROM SOFTWARE are entirely incapable of changing the hash codes of the estus drinking speed subroutines.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

He shows up between the Distant Manor bonfire and the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire--you shouldn't need to go any further than that.

I'm not sure if there are any other conditions. He showed up first time for me, when I went there pre-Pontiff. Maybe I had to light the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire first, but I don't really remember. (Don't do that until after Greirat comes back from his Irithyll trip if you want Siegward to save him, FYI.)

Unfortunately I forgot about Siegward, Patches, and since I shanked Anri Yuria's not coming, so no worries about that. :v:

I guess I'll just do without that cool armor. Maybe you can't kill Pontiff first? Though I had to walk by there to get to him. Is he literally in Irithyll Dungeon and I'm a dumb?

Speaking of the pontiff, the pontiff's right eye with carthus rouge on the warden twinblades just melts him hilariously fast.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

from the comments:

quote:

Some guy in PVP hit me with this. Needless to say I was loving destroyed.

I think it has something to do with the BKGA considering that's what he also used

Edit: Apparently there's a glitch with the White Hair Talisman, that makes you do Pyro damage based on your right hand weapon if you two hand it while it's in the left hand.

huh, interesting

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tyrelhill posted:

The Reddit assburger psykers mind melded with the binary codes of the Dark Souls III encryption databases and saw the secret truths of the game's software design pitfalls. Through their interpretation (and many years as offical GameStop game experts) they have deduced that the programmers at FROM SOFTWARE are entirely incapable of changing the hash codes of the estus drinking speed subroutines.
dude the point is that if you change estus drinking speed it upsets PvE because of how quickly many enemies attack giving you only a small window so they can't just change the speed without changing a lot of other poo poo

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

tyrelhill posted:

I think he meant baked into the bones of the game conceptually, like your ability to take a fast sippy is part of the PVE concept for the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tyrelhill posted:

Well, no, it's not that it's impossible to change the code. It's that altering the speed at which you can drink Estus would have a serious effect on PvE balance, where some bosses can already punish Estus well enough (hi, Nameless King!) that you have to time your sips carefully not to get owned. Slowing down Estus drinking would make it effectively impossible to heal during some fights, which isn't good.

Now, maybe making Undead Hunter Charms throw faster, track better, and have a longer duration could help.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

yeah poltergeist was a spooky movie, i agree

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Now, maybe making Undead Hunter Charms throw faster, track better, and have a longer duration could help.

Well, they could switch Undead Hunter Charm to have the rope firebomb throwing animation.

All this would do though is make people run around longer until UHC wore off though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Well, no, it's not that it's impossible to change the code. It's that altering the speed at which you can drink Estus would have a serious effect on PvE balance, where some bosses can already punish Estus well enough (hi, Nameless King!) that you have to time your sips carefully not to get owned. Slowing down Estus drinking would make it effectively impossible to heal during some fights, which isn't good.

When you see the invader message you get like 3 seconds to heal then estus is disabled for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

I really miss blood pools. All of you who forgot everything that was good about DS2 (or at least Scholar) make me sick. :(