Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Uh, the best anime horror game is clearly Disillusions: Manga Horror. It's right there in the name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shadow Hearts had some good horror in it. They did a good job building up the tension in a lot of the areas. They generally ended that by having you beat up whatever was being creepy and then move on to building tension in some other place, but there are several points in the games where it's just like "whoah what the gently caress" like any of the dollhouse quests.

Going through the whole dollhouse and draining some water out of the fountain to find the vault door at the bottom, opening the vault, and just seeing this room with a rocking horse still moving, that poo poo gave me the jitters

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

The plot was pretty dull. The art was at its best when they were just being grotesque and gross, but usually the art was just deviantart style anime and the endings were pretty dumb too

Yup, I think that you're 100% right.

E: there should be more spooky point and clicks, or at least I want to know about more of them besides the ones Yahtzee did.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FirstAidKite posted:

Shadow Hearts had some good horror in it. They did a good job building up the tension in a lot of the areas. They generally ended that by having you beat up whatever was being creepy and then move on to building tension in some other place, but there are several points in the games where it's just like "whoah what the gently caress" like any of the dollhouse quests.

Going through the whole dollhouse and draining some water out of the fountain to find the vault door at the bottom, opening the vault, and just seeing this room with a rocking horse still moving, that poo poo gave me the jitters

Maybe it's just me and my childhood fear of dolls, but I really think horror games need to use more dolls in creepy scenes like that. Or more to the point, living dolls as enemies. They had something like that in that super-early scrapped version of Resident Evil 4 and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't keep it in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There were a lot of creepy anime horror games in the 90s, we just didn't get any!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is sweet home worth playing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

is sweet home worth playing

Yes. It's an NES RPG with probably the most generous random encounter rate in video games, a small focused setting, no real way to get lost, and no experience or money system to grind. Death is permanent and resources are limited, so stack your saves, but I had little trouble after a 30 minute false start as encounters are rare and enemies aren't that threatening.

It's one of the neatest RPGs that the Western world never saw until emulators and 90% of Resident Evil's DNA is baked into it.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

So did people actually have 'fun' playing Lone Survivor? Like I got what it was going for and it was fine up until a point, and then it just became a tedious mess of keeping up invisible status meters and endless backtracking. I ended up just watching an LP to realize how much annoyance still waited for me in the basement and outside of the apartments.
I dropped Lone Survivor the first time around, enraged because the game silently switched my game to Hard setting with no way to go back. (I've actually reinstalled it right now, and this glitch seems to have been fixed.) It certainly felt tough at the time, and I'd hit a brick wall when I got to the basement, but much of that trouble can probably be chalked up to the forced Hard mode. I thought it was still kinda fun, surviving in that dark wold and all?? But now yall got me worried that it's gonna become a pain later.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

woodenchicken posted:

I dropped Lone Survivor the first time around, enraged because the game silently switched my game to Hard setting with no way to go back. (I've actually reinstalled it right now, and this glitch seems to have been fixed.) It certainly felt tough at the time, and I'd hit a brick wall when I got to the basement, but much of that trouble can probably be chalked up to the forced Hard mode. I thought it was still kinda fun, surviving in that dark wold and all?? But now yall got me worried that it's gonna become a pain later.
I think if you got through the basement chase then the rest of the game should be fine...as long as you aren't aiming for certain endings. Because man, they really kept some of those requirements vague for that. But I don't mean to come across as totally disparaging to the game; it was definitely a fun game to watch and see where it went. It was just the resource management and backtracking that got to me in the end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just me and my childhood fear of dolls, but I really think horror games need to use more dolls in creepy scenes like that. Or more to the point, living dolls as enemies. They had something like that in that super-early scrapped version of Resident Evil 4 and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't keep it in.

I think there were at least porcelain faced enemies in Alice: Madness Returns, but I don't think many games use dolls as enemies or as the results of what something does to its victims if you are looking for something to really play with an uncanny valley reaction or outright fear of dolls.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There were porcelain masks in Evil Within and they worked really well with the horrific detail on headshots. You could shoot away chunks of an enemy's head - even going so far as to expose the brain (including barbed wire wrapped around it!) - without killing them. It would naturally mess up regular enemies' faces, but the ones with masks maintained that same frozen expression and it really helped sell what they were.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Dolls lose a lot of their spookiness once you see them actually move on their own. At least if they do it too much. The very first bit of Fatal Frame 5 has a good scene where you take a ghost photograph and get a photo of a room with a doll in it. The doll is clearly looking in a different direction in the photo compared to the actual room in the game.

Later in the game you get to fight dolls and they just bullrush you. It's kind of not-terrifying after the first time it happens.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Fatal Frame games are basically Doll City, and they do a pretty good job with them, I think. My favorite was this boss battle in a room where a doll was coming at you from random directions saying "I don't wanna kill you."

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
What exactly makes horror anime games or in general horror anime scary?, it just doesn't click with me no matter how many times I try to look at it through different aspects? imo It's like trying to make a horror story through loving stick figures.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SirDrone posted:

What exactly makes horror anime games or in general horror anime scary?, it just doesn't click with me no matter how many times I try to look at it through different aspects? imo It's like trying to make a horror story through loving stick figures.

Typically a combination of unsettling subject matter, good atmosphere, and good music (which, I guess, goes with the 'atmosphere'). One can make scrolling text spooky if they're good enough, and usually it's much better than horror that relies on wondering when the next jump scare is going to appear with another musical sting.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Guys I loved the absolute poo poo outta Lone Survivor. Oh that guy also made a Silent Hill 2 demake that I enjoyed as well

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

It's not exactly the same, but Condemned: Criminal Origins uses department store mannequins to this effect. There are enemies in one level set in a giant, multi-level department store/mall (they're unclear as to what it's meant to be) who dress up like mannequins and stand with them on displays. You may end up catching one walking away....or not notice until you get whacked in the back of the head. There's also a very creepy hallucination scene related to them that I won't spoil.

When you play the sequel, they threw in the mannequin hallucination again early in the game just to gently caress with players who remembered the original.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Guys I loved the absolute poo poo outta Lone Survivor. Oh that guy also made a Silent Hill 2 demake that I enjoyed as well

Same on both fronts.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not exactly the same, but Condemned: Criminal Origins uses department store mannequins to this effect. There are enemies in one level set in a giant, multi-level department store/mall (they're unclear as to what it's meant to be) who dress up like mannequins and stand with them on displays. You may end up catching one walking away....or not notice until you get whacked in the back of the head. There's also a very creepy hallucination scene related to them that I won't spoil.

Yeah, I actually watched a playthrough of that and had to experience it myself. The complete dread I felt the first time I went through it hasn't been matched in many horror games before or since.

It kind of loses its impact the second time though because you learn what cues to look for, like all the mannequins who move have a slightly different model than the regular mannequins and you can see the cracks and their hosed-up faces. But it's still freaky when you get one behind you that wasn't there a second ago, and they're completely silent when they move.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

prahanormal posted:

Same on both fronts.

I'll add you to my buddy list now.

Also found this weird game called Dreaming Sarah that's pretty short. I can vouch it's pretty gud

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SirDrone posted:

For me it's the juxtaposition between art direction and subject matter. Generally speaking, the art style inherent in a lot of Japanese media exists in a gray zone between representational and cartoony. When poo poo looks wrong, it goes far off the deep end. Some of the pioneers in Japanese horror like Junji Ito, Hideshi Hino, Go Nigai, and Shigeru Mizuki all effortlessly switch from cute or unassuming to loving nightmarish without skipping a beat.

Modern aesthetics have kind of suplex it for me. Like the sequel to Blood+ has that really clean computer colored look with spurts of cartoonish gore that loses any impact. But there's still modern stuff I wholeheartedly recommend like Parasyte and Yamishibai.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Modern aesthetics have kind of suplex it for me. Like the sequel to Blood+ has that really clean computer colored look with spurts of cartoonish gore that loses any impact. But there's still modern stuff I wholeheartedly recommend like Parasyte and Yamishibai.

Does Parasyte eventually pick up? I read the first 5 comics and then got bored with it. Alien Hand Syndrome being actually Alien was cool, but it went so slooooow

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I get the impression that he started to demake the apartment level of Silent Hill 2 and then decided to just make an original game instead. The apartment building in Lone Survivor really manages to capture that same exact mixture of dread and controller-throwing frustration.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Does Parasyte eventually pick up? I read the first 5 comics and then got bored with it. Alien Hand Syndrome being actually Alien was cool, but it went so slooooow

Eh, I dunno if it picks up exactly, it eventually turns into a more straightforward action horror thing, but that's where I always felt it went downhill, I much preferred the earlier Cronnenberg bodyhorror type stuff.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Niggurath posted:

So did people actually have 'fun' playing Lone Survivor? Like I got what it was going for and it was fine up until a point, and then it just became a tedious mess of keeping up invisible status meters and endless backtracking. I ended up just watching an LP to realize how much annoyance still waited for me in the basement and outside of the apartments.

I started but never finished. I very much enjoyed the parts of the gameplay that didn't involve invisible status meters and I've resolved to cheese my cheese and crackers count when I feel like finishing. At the same time, I feel like this game is ripe to be made into something 3d, which would solve most of the status issues for me. I'd be way better at keeping up if I could navigate effectively, but I can't because of the map layout.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Skyscraper posted:

I started but never finished. I very much enjoyed the parts of the gameplay that didn't involve invisible status meters and I've resolved to cheese my cheese and crackers count when I feel like finishing. At the same time, I feel like this game is ripe to be made into something 3d, which would solve most of the status issues for me. I'd be way better at keeping up if I could navigate effectively, but I can't because of the map layout.

If you liked Lone Survivor before the basement chase then it would be worthwhile to find his demake of Silent Hill 2. I got it before he switched his website to some blog thing, but I'm sure it's around there somewhere.

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, I dunno if it picks up exactly, it eventually turns into a more straightforward action horror thing, but that's where I always felt it went downhill, I much preferred the earlier Cronnenberg bodyhorror type stuff.

Ehh I'll give it a pass then. I liked the body horror but if there's no real story arch that involves him having a loving alien inside him then I'm okay

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I really recommend the anime. Normally the manga is better but the anime is really snappy while still following the manga scene for scene.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I really recommend the anime. Normally the manga is better but the anime is really snappy while still following the manga scene for scene.

Is it on Netflix or is there some other cheap method to watch it?

I'm not getting Crunchyroll for one show

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

If you liked Lone Survivor before the basement chase then it would be worthwhile to find his demake of Silent Hill 2. I got it before he switched his website to some blog thing, but I'm sure it's around there somewhere.

Ehh I'll give it a pass then. I liked the body horror but if there's no real story arch that involves him having a loving alien inside him then I'm okay

Soundless Mountain, I think? I liked Silent Hill 2, but is there a particular appeal to this demake?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Claire is a pixel style horror game that's a little like Lone Survivor but a lot less frustrating

That said the horror in it isn't especially good or original, but it is competent

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Is it on Netflix or is there some other cheap method to watch it?

I'm not getting Crunchyroll for one show

Crunchyroll is free.

School-Live is on there if you want to take a break from horror and watch something cutesy :)

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Crunchyroll is free.

School-Live is on there if you want to take a break from horror and watch something cutesy :)

Oh I thought it cost money.

I may rewatch yuyu hakusho

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Skyscraper posted:

Soundless Mountain, I think? I liked Silent Hill 2, but is there a particular appeal to this demake?

To me it was being able to get a different perspective on SH2 since SH 1, 2, and 3 are good

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

King Vidiot posted:

The Silent Hill games sometimes have doll enemies. 2 had the mannequin things, Origins had these puppets/dolls called 'Ariels' that dropped down from the ceilings in a deserted theatre, and Homecoming had the Scarlet boss fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwzz1YAqrro

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LadyPictureShow posted:

The Silent Hill games sometimes have doll enemies. 2 had the mannequin things, Origins had these puppets/dolls called 'Ariels' that dropped down from the ceilings in a deserted theatre, and Homecoming had the Scarlet boss fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwzz1YAqrro
Not exactly dolls but in a similar vein there were the Gray Children in the Japanese and American versions of the original SH.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Neverending Nightmares has a whole level devoted to killer dolls, but the game's repetitive and rather thin.

Question: I see from upthread that opinions on Back in 1995 aren't good. I was thinking of giving it a try nevertheless when it hit sale prices just for the curiosity factor, but I saw that Chris at his eponymous Survival Horror Quest is positing that, essentially, the game sucks because the developer wants to give players an object lesson in nostalgia and how 32-bit games weren't as good as some remember them. Would those who have played it agree that this is what the game is going for? I understand about rose-colored glasses and all, but I don't really want to spend time on a The Things You Like Are Bad lecture.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tank controls are trash and should have never been in but it also seems like the game isn't scary and is short as hell. the games it's aping did better on the other fronts.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Speaking of, man, Rule of Rose had one of the best stories and general atmosphere ever (the twist at the end might be the biggest "I just want to take a shower now" moment I've experienced in a videogame), and then the gameplay was tank control survival horror why.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Tank control survival horror is good survival horror :colbert:

*Have not played Back in 1995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Speaking of, man, Rule of Rose had one of the best stories and general atmosphere ever (the twist at the end might be the biggest "I just want to take a shower now" moment I've experienced in a videogame), and then the gameplay was tank control survival horror why.
RoR wasn't tank controls if I remember right. But yeah, it might have been better off as an adventure game.