Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
They actually tried to buy them IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

japtor posted:

Tried making a smart folder in the Finder? If there’s a way to do that with the images/album then I think it's possible to put that on the sidebar.

Just looked. No Photos integrations.

All joking aside, isn't it strange that file dialogs have Media integration, but Finder proper doesn't?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Are they all gifs? Do a search in the photo library (view contents, then search) for kind-image-gif.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

japtor posted:

Are they all gifs? Do a search in the photo library (view contents, then search) for kind-image-gif.

Nah, it's not just that album - that was an example. Screenshots for development, etc. etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

pipebomb posted:

Nah, it's not just that album - that was an example. Screenshots for development, etc. etc.

Can you tag in photos? If so, maybe just tag everything as "photo" and create a smart folder for that tag? Those show up in the sidebar.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Whoever mentioned Moom a day or two ago, thanks. I was using BetterSnapTool but this is way better.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
FWIW, when I first got a Mac I downloaded trials of Moom, SizeUp, Flexiglass and BetterSnapTool. As someone that prefers resizing via keyboard shortcuts due to speed, I concluded BST was easily the best choice, especially at 1/5 the price of the others. The flexibility of Moom's grid resize widget was cool, but I found I rarely needed to resize to something that wasn't more easily accessible via keyboard shortcut (e.g. 50%, 33%, corners, max, other monitor). Here are the he pros/cons/thoughts I documented while evaluating these programs (please make fun of me for having this).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
In very simple terms, what does Moom do? I opened it up and can't tell how to resize and stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

In very simple terms, what does Moom do? I opened it up and can't tell how to resize and stuff.

Hover over the maximise window green button in finder.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
For Window snapping and general management, I use https://github.com/fikovnik/ShiftIt (Shiftit).

A bunch of keyboard shortcuts for quick snapping, including quadrants and all that

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splinter posted:

FWIW, when I first got a Mac I downloaded trials of Moom, SizeUp, Flexiglass and BetterSnapTool. As someone that prefers resizing via keyboard shortcuts due to speed, I concluded BST was easily the best choice, especially at 1/5 the price of the others. The flexibility of Moom's grid resize widget was cool, but I found I rarely needed to resize to something that wasn't more easily accessible via keyboard shortcut (e.g. 50%, 33%, corners, max, other monitor). Here are the he pros/cons/thoughts I documented while evaluating these programs (please make fun of me for having this).
:lol: nerd (is that good enough?)

Moom can do global keyboard assignments for whatever, the specific thing to bring up the Moom window is, hell I don't even remember, more of a cheat sheet and small adjustments if you want I guess. And I thought you can adjust the snap time which can get around the space switching issue you mention (...or maybe I modified OS X's switch time at some point). Also not that I've used this myself (although thinking about it I probably should considering how I use my computer) it can do window layout saving/restoring.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Since we're talking nerd poo poo: does anyone use the Force touchpad function, and if so, how/what for?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pipebomb posted:

Since we're talking nerd poo poo: does anyone use the Force touchpad function, and if so, how/what for?

Sometimes I really want to get confused and angry, and then I end up using the Force touchpad. It mostly accomplishes that task, but I haven't found another use yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A weird thing happened today. I was imaging an SD card for a raspberry pi using dd and I just used
code:
sudo dd if=[image].img of=/dev/disk1 bs=1M
and it chugged away. It was a 7gb image going onto a 16gb card and we started getting suspicious when siginfo started returning 9gb written and poo poo. Then I got a storage running out warning and canceled the process and found a .img file in the file's folder that was like 12gb. I deleted this file and the SD card is totally hosed. I keep getting permission denied and can't open the device errors when I try to erase the partitions or destroy the boot record with gpt.

What did I do wrong here? I've used dd successfully for linux USBs many times.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

A weird thing happened today. I was imaging an SD card for a raspberry pi using dd and I just used
code:
sudo dd if=[image].img of=/dev/disk1 bs=1M
and it chugged away. It was a 7gb image going onto a 16gb card and we started getting suspicious when siginfo started returning 9gb written and poo poo. Then I got a storage running out warning and canceled the process and found a .img file in the file's folder that was like 12gb. I deleted this file and the SD card is totally hosed. I keep getting permission denied and can't open the device errors when I try to erase the partitions or destroy the boot record with gpt.

What did I do wrong here? I've used dd successfully for linux USBs many times.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything other than bad sectors on the SD card. Will it mount at all? You can probably try a fsck on it if you can.

I don't think sparse will do anything either, since you're doing a bitwise copy of an image, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Sorry, it's honestly been years since I've used dd. I'm still leaning toward bad SD.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything other than bad sectors on the SD card. Will it mount at all? You can probably try a fsck on it if you can.

I don't think sparse will do anything either, since you're doing a bitwise copy of an image, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Sorry, it's honestly been years since I've used dd. I'm still leaning toward bad SD.

But why did it create an absurdly large image on my drive?

And yeah, I tried gpt destroy, something with fdisk, single user mode, safemode, something with fsck. It mounts but it's ntfs so it's not writable. I also can't format it, permission denied or can't open the device.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you cancelled the process in the middle of it, then the file system would be corrupt. There's probably not actually a file that large; it just happened that that's the way things turned out.

I'm going with the "bad card" theory. The system would write to the card, increment the Bytes Written counter, then check if the data is correct. When it sees it's not, it marks that block as bad and retries with the next block.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

And yeah, I tried gpt destroy, something with fdisk, single user mode, safemode, something with fsck. It mounts but it's ntfs so it's not writable. I also can't format it, permission denied or can't open the device.

Try this on a Windows install, you might be able to rescue the drive at least - http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

pipebomb posted:

I use it to look up words pretty often, since I read a lot of local news in French.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Try this on a Windows install, you might be able to rescue the drive at least - http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

I tried that exact program, actually. It doesn't even mount in Windows. Like, no software sees it at all from diskpart to HP format tool.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

tuyop posted:

I had this happen with a flash drive this week after trying to use createinstallmedia. dd onto /dev/disk3 would indefinitely run. If you instead try to use the non-buffered /dev/rdiskN you will probably get some sort of error instead of dumbly buffering tons of data since it can't actually write it to the drive. It's almost certainly busted. I spent a couple hours trying various tricks but I couldn't get any OS to actually do anything to it. OSX and Linux would refuse to write to raw drives based on some cryptic I/O Error messages and Windows claimed it was write-protected.

I'm pretty sure in my case some aspect of imaging it using createinstallmedia broke it, but maybe it was just really weird timing on some flash cell failure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ah, ok. I'll let the customer know that it probably, maybe wasn't my fault. I mean, it's a library so people get what they pay for but I feel a little bit bad.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just wanted to check in as I just got a new Mac, and the last time the OP was updated was almost 3 years ago. I'm looking for recommendations for an FTP client, and the OP recommends Cyberduck, Panic, and FileZilla. Is this still the goto choices? If so, might as well use FileZilla, but I don't mind buying something either. My preferred Windows FTP Client is paid software (FlashFXP). :cheers:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I like Transmit. It connects to S3.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I got a pair of Bluetooth headphones with a built-in microphone recently (Bose SoundLink II), and the audio quality is great normally, but when the microphone is active it switches to some awful telephone-sounding codec/bitrate combination. Can I make it not do this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Just wanted to check in as I just got a new Mac, and the last time the OP was updated was almost 3 years ago.
Nothing really changes. Transmit is still the best.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Grimshak posted:

For Window snapping and general management, I use https://github.com/fikovnik/ShiftIt (Shiftit).

A bunch of keyboard shortcuts for quick snapping, including quadrants and all that

Our machines at work have Spectacle, partly because you can install it via command line (`brew cask install spectacle`) and we script all of our dev box setups as much as possible. And it was the one that whoever got there first decided they liked :shrug:

I use BTT and BST on my personal machine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

I got a pair of Bluetooth headphones with a built-in microphone recently (Bose SoundLink II), and the audio quality is great normally, but when the microphone is active it switches to some awful telephone-sounding codec/bitrate combination. Can I make it not do this?

semi-related, but this is hands down the most annoying thing with iPhones and bluetooth headsets.

sounds absolutely fine listening to MP3s, get a call and woah hey we are back in the loving 1920s.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So hosed up SD card dude came in today and told me that the card was probably dead or dying before I touched it because it had come to him after being in a phone submerged in beer. So I feel no guilt about that at all!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Laserface posted:

semi-related, but this is hands down the most annoying thing with iPhones and bluetooth headsets.

sounds absolutely fine listening to MP3s, get a call and woah hey we are back in the loving 1920s.

That's a Bluetooth issue (headset vs headphone profiles) that's also encountered in Windows. Not really the phone.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I had this happen with a flash drive this week after trying to use createinstallmedia. dd onto /dev/disk3 would indefinitely run. If you instead try to use the non-buffered /dev/rdiskN you will probably get some sort of error instead of dumbly buffering tons of data since it can't actually write it to the drive. It's almost certainly busted. I spent a couple hours trying various tricks but I couldn't get any OS to actually do anything to it. OSX and Linux would refuse to write to raw drives based on some cryptic I/O Error messages and Windows claimed it was write-protected.

I'm pretty sure in my case some aspect of imaging it using createinstallmedia broke it, but maybe it was just really weird timing on some flash cell failure.

AFAIK, createinstallmedia is actually based on copying files, not block mode imaging. However this is irrelevant, in the end either mode of copying just generates lots of writes, and there isn't anything about imaging which makes it more (or less) likely to kill a drive. It was probably on its last legs and would've been killed by any program generating a sufficient number of writes.

Thumbdrives, SD cards, and so forth use really low grade flash memory (this is how they manage to be so much cheaper per byte than a SSD), so part of the experience is that they sometimes up and die on you even before you've used up their write endurance (which is much lower than SSD grade flash write endurance anyways).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nothing really changes. Transmit is still the best.

Fair enough - Just read up on it, and it does FXP as well, much like my purchased FlashFXP. Pulling the trigger tonight when I get home. Thanks! :cheers:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

So hosed up SD card dude came in today and told me that the card was probably dead or dying before I touched it because it had come to him after being in a phone submerged in beer. So I feel no guilt about that at all!

Still sucks you had to go through all that stress in the meantime though. Wonder if he was worried that you'd turn him away if he mentioned the beer incident beforehand.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's not exactly the stress, I enjoy doing this stuff a lot! It's more the insecurity that I don't actually know what I'm doing but I know just enough to be dangerous and I probably shouldn't use poor people's belongings to learn.

But hey, my boss encouraged me to model learning with the customers (and repeated that after I told her about my reservations the other day)! As long as the customer is clear that we might destroy their poo poo and consent to whatever, it's actually the best possible scenario regardless of whether the objective is successful. I love this job.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eightysixed posted:

Fair enough - Just read up on it, and it does FXP as well, much like my purchased FlashFXP. Pulling the trigger tonight when I get home. Thanks! :cheers:

Yeah I still have a FlashFXP license from the $10 sale about 10 years ago, and love Transmit for the sole reason it acts similar. People used to recommend Cyberduck as a client, but it's pretty bad.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I still have a FlashFXP license from the $10 sale about 10 years ago, and love Transmit for the sole reason it acts similar. People used to recommend Cyberduck as a client, but it's pretty bad.

Do you use Transmit with S3? I've stuck with Cyberduck because [free and] the S3 support was a lot more reliable, but last I tried was maybe 2 years ago.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

pipebomb posted:

Looking up words in Safari and previewing twitter links

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Milkman posted:

Do you use Transmit with S3? I've stuck with Cyberduck because [free and] the S3 support was a lot more reliable, but last I tried was maybe 2 years ago.

I don't have any s3 account sorry.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Roargasm posted:

Looking up words in Safari and previewing twitter links

Is that actually more useful than just three-finger clicking stuff? Or does it straight-up replace the three-finger option with force touch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Is there a way to do a clean OS install on a macbook pro with a brand new empty hard drive? I have time machine backups, etc but would rather clean install and leave the documents and whatnot on the time machine drive.