Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So is Luc Besson in good health? Valerian really has "last hurrah" vibes to it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

teagone posted:

There's a way around it. Have the climax be Thanos facing off against Cap wielding his shield and mjolnir, and have Thanos kill him.
God I hope so its one of the greatest scenes in comic book history where Cap stands up to Thanos and gets killed as Thanos destroys the shield

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So is Luc Besson in good health? Valerian really has "last hurrah" vibes to it so far.

Making up for the bullshit he's been doing the last few years? (Not a fan of Lucy like most people here, or any of his Europa written films)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

God I hope so its one of the greatest scenes in comic book history where Cap stands up to Thanos and gets killed as Thanos destroys the shield

Best part of that?

Thanos cheats. He goes in saying that he will only use his normal powers, and he's going up against some one who is BARELY super human while he can fist fight the Hulk while giving Thor a wedgie. Cap *STILL* makes him cheat by altering the battlefield to throw him off balance and set him up for the blow.

Though I kinda hope they find a way to merge that scene with the finale of Secret Wars. Both are great Cap moments.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I just watched Age of Ultron for the first time in preparation of Civil War. It wasn't offensively bad, but it didn't really hold my attention either. I liked Winter Soldier, and I am looking forward to Civil War, but Infinity War doesn't seem especially exciting at the moment.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ghostwritingduck posted:

I just watched Age of Ultron for the first time in preparation of Civil War. It wasn't offensively bad, but it didn't really hold my attention either. I liked Winter Soldier, and I am looking forward to Civil War, but Infinity War doesn't seem especially exciting at the moment.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Current opinion on Civil War is that it's a better Avengers movie than AoU or Avengers, and directed by the same guys who did Winter Soldier and are doing both Infinity War films.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scyantific posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned. Current opinion on Civil War is that it's a better Avengers movie than AoU or Avengers, and directed by the same guys who did Winter Soldier and are doing both Infinity War films.

Also they called in the John Wick guys to do a few of the fight scenes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Also they called in the John Wick guys to do a few of the fight scenes.

Pretty cool, really. They know where they could use the help and ain't averse to asking for it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
What makes Thanos an exciting villain? I'm completely unfamiliar with him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ghostwritingduck posted:

He's as exciting a villain as Boba Fett is, for exactly the same obtuse reasons.

Specifically to him, he's a Mutant Alien from a race called the Eternals. He Hitlered his parents and most of his planet or whatever, and is just generally a Bad Dude. He is in love with the personification of Death, a character only he can see. He can fight toe to toe with Hulk and Galactus and sometimes come out on top.

His family time with his children are spent trying to kill them. The green and bald, blue chick from Guardians of the Galaxy are both his kids.

He wants to take over the Universe, and then destroy it as a gift to his :airquote:girlfriend Death.

Ummm...he possessed a thing called the Inifnity Gauntlet and remade the Universe in his own image killing googlians, but was talked into committing suicide and reverting the universe back to the way it was originally, and unkilling all those people, by Adam Warlock.

Uhhh....Blue and has groovy armor which he doesn't need because he comes back to life all the time.

Galactus (not the FF movie one, or Ultimate one) and Doom are much more interesting characters. Hell, Kang or, or Dormammu Mephistopheles are more interesting.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 5, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New X-M&Ms ad where you can hear Storm talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UuEC3ekh_U

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ghostwritingduck posted:

Honestly speaking Thanos himself is just kind of lame, but he has set up some brilliant MOMENTS in comics.

He's just the biggest notable villain Marvel can actually use. Doctor Doom and Galactus are both way better villains than he is, but he's what they got.

His personality is "What if Darkseid had none of his dignity and was also an edgy 15 year old boy who didn't know how to take No for an answer" only he's also a creators pet so he inexplicably is the most powerful most awesome most vital character ever who always succeeds at what he wants unless he doesn't actually WANT to secretly and that's how he loses.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Um Boba Fett looks cool and Thanos looks silly. That argument is bad. :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanos is mad engaging in anything written by Jim Starlin, the Infinity Gauntlet is like the one great Big Event comic ever. Where Darkseid is this ultimate evil bent on total imposition of his will, Thanos is more this selfish cosmic being exploring the furthest realms of experience. He's like the super villain version of Uncle Frank from Hellraiser.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 5, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't the Russos say that since Thanos hasn't really been set up at all so far, they feel like they need to set him up entirely in Infinity War 1?

Talk about payoff for the integrated cinematic universe!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't the Russos say that since Thanos hasn't really been set up at all so far, they feel like they need to set him up entirely in Infinity War 1?

Talk about payoff for the integrated cinematic universe!

I hope they keep all the 15 second credit stingers canon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thanos is mad engaging in anything written by Jim Starlin, the Infinity Gauntlet is like the one great Big Event comic ever. Where Darkseid is this ultimate evil bent on total imposition of his will, Thanos is more this selfish cosmic being exploring the furthest realms of experience. He's like the super villain version of Uncle Frank from Hellraiser.

My biggest problem with the entire Infinity Gauntlet story though is that Starlin completely neglects the heroes from start to finish. It's a great character piece for Thanos at his best, but the heroes just NEVER amount to anything and never earn their victory.

Which is fine and some times even cool for a big comic book event- not going to go over so well for a movie though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

My biggest problem with the entire Infinity Gauntlet story though is that Starlin completely neglects the heroes from start to finish. It's a great character piece for Thanos at his best, but the heroes just NEVER amount to anything and never earn their victory.

I have no problem with that. Thanos is the lead character of the story.

I'm very interested in if they preserve Nebula's pivotal role

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Infinity Gauntlet is great but ignoring Crisis on Infinite Earths which is the original Big Event comic which all other Big Event comics are a pale imitation of is like...well, it's like ignoring that Thanos is a pale imitation of Darkseid.

(I like both series and both characters for what they are tho, just don't like the dis on Crisis)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm not a huge fan of these multi-movie stories anyway. They payoff is never worth it. One movie is always significantly shittier than the others.

edit: vv That may be, never heard of those movies. I'm talking more about movies with action in them.

edit2: I'm still pissed about the lovely ending of Hobbit 2. Hobbit 2 ends on a cliffhanger that gets resolved completely within the first 10 minutes of Hobbit 3.

The Hobbit should have just been one movie and it would have been fine.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I get that race causes controversy in movies, but I'm curious how it really affects the bottom line. Sure people can comment on black Heimdall* or whatever, but did people really decide to not see Thor just because of that? It seems to suggest that there are people that were planning on seeing these movies but then decided not to after they heard the casting. It doesn't seem to take into account people that went to see Thor specifically because of black Heimdall. There's also the idea that there's no such thing as bad press, so just by being a news story you could have conceivably made Thor more popular. Am I vastly underestimating the amount of hardcore racism that exists? I just can't put myself in the mindset of a person that sees a movie trailer and says "Every character isn't white. I am going to pass on this movie."

*note: this isn't about Heimdall specifically, just an example

I dunno. There's a fair share of the population threatening not to own or spend the new 20 dollar bills.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

For sure. The Hobbit is my favorite Tolkien book because it is a nice little folk tale. Turning it into epic high fantasy was fine for a sequel but not the adaptation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have no problem with that. Thanos is the lead character of the story.

I'm very interested in if they preserve Nebula's pivotal role

See if they had given him ANYTHING up to this point, I wouldn't worry about that with the movie adaptation.

And, to confess, I was honestly looking forward to the Infinity War movies more than any other.

The way I saw it the first movie could be used to set the status quo and then have Thanos waltz in and shatter it. Give us a good, proper villain for the MCU like we have never seen before. Have the movie end in his triumph and build that up.

Then the second part, since it was being made at the same time and released just a few months later, show the heroes make their big comeback and show us why it was worth following these guys for over a decade. Make the connected cinematic universe worth it all. Give Thanos the character he sorely needs and then allow the heroes to be heroes.

With the way they're talking now, it sounds like Thanos is only going to be in one movie which would just be

Really sadly typical of the usual Marvel method. And a huge anti climax. These movies have been what they were building towards since 2012 and now they're not what they claimed they were anymore

I really have to wonder if the original idea came from Joss and, since he left, the Russos just scrapped most of what he had planned and are doing their own thing

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burkion posted:

I really have to wonder if the original idea came from Joss and, since he left, the Russos just scrapped most of what he had planned and are doing their own thing
I agree with your disappointment, but if it comes down to keeping something Whedon came up versus something the Russo's came up with, I'd take anything not Whedon.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There was post earlier that went through the Marvel movie story development process. It consists of reading a bunch of comics, taking iconic scenes and themes from them, mashing them together, then letting a screenwriter and director figure out the rest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit. They didn't say that "nothing has been done with him till now, now it's on us." They basically talked about how whatever they do has to be worth all the time and build up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit. They didn't say that "nothing has been done with him till now, now it's on us." They basically talked about how whatever they do has to be worth all the time and build up.

I don't know if this is directed at me but that's got nothing to do with my disappointment

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don't see how that translates to "their won't be as much focus on the heroes".

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Infinity Gauntlet is great but ignoring Crisis on Infinite Earths which is the original Big Event comic which all other Big Event comics are a pale imitation of is like...well, it's like ignoring that Thanos is a pale imitation of Darkseid.

Didn't Secret Wars come out the year before?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
What's BVS's current draw?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

After a few glasses of wine I decided that Fant4stic would be acceptable for the evening's entertainment and god drat the final third feels like a different, and far worse, movie. The weird horror-like vibe from the first half of the movie was actually an interesting take on the genre and I was hoping to see it followed through to the end rather than the poorly designed and shot finale it ended up with.

All in all though, not nearly as bad as popular opinion suggests and even with the horribly stupid final act is better than the Avengers movies.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Wheeee posted:

After a few glasses of wine...

Wheeee posted:

All in all though, not nearly as bad as popular opinion suggests and even with the horribly stupid final act is better than the Avengers movies.

I thought drunk posting was frowned upon here. :v:

I agree with you on the first act being interesting, but the movie has all kinds of troubles that drag it down into the ground and down to Mole Man's realm. The Avengers movies at least entertain me, whereas F4ntastic just felt like a waste of time (mine and the people who made it). With all the superhero movies that we have now, I expected more than the usual origin story, and the studio again not understanding the true charm of a villain like Doom.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Fant4stic feels even more like a case of attempted murder by studio than Batman v Superman.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did Luke Skywalker ever self harm?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

TheFallenEvincar posted:

He attempted suicide on at least one occasion.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Full disclosure: I liked Batman v Superman, and I'll go see the R rated version when it's in theaters.

As for Luke, I don't know about self-harm, but he did like to harm wild-life in all original trilogy movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

His nephew does.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I had to watch F4ntastic with my dad. Jesus Christ that's the most hours of my life I've blacked out the fastest. I literally retained nothing about it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One thing I appreciate with the Infinity War stuff was that they weren't going to just make it one big movie and split it into two. The intention was to have both as standalone films. I don't know why people think that Thanos will only be in one though, since it seems the first movie will likely feature him in the background while they think the threat is someone else, and then the second movie will be them against Thanos. At least, that's the more logical route to take.

Also, are they still shooting Wonder Woman? Because that has to be rough on Gal Gadot if she has to go from that straight into Justice League.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Kal-L posted:

Full disclosure: I liked Batman v Superman, and I'll go see the R rated version when it's in theaters.

As for Luke, I don't know about self-harm, but he did like to harm wild-life in all original trilogy movies.

Wait, the R-rated cut will be in theaters. I mean, I hope it is, but I just want confirmation.

DrVenkman posted:

Also, are they still shooting Wonder Woman? Because that has to be rough on Gal Gadot if she has to go from that straight into Justice League.

Yeah, but I think WW is almost done filming.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Equeen posted:

Wait, the R-rated cut will be in theaters. I mean, in hope it is, but I just want confirmation.

Same, but my understanding was that the R-rated director's cut will be on the Blu-ray release in a couple months. If it's getting a theatrical release that must be a pretty new development.

• Locked thread