Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

In 2011 the median was something like $65k for someone employed full time. You can add inflation to that to approximate the current level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Zenithe posted:

mean =/= median. Sorry you don't know anyone who finished year 10 Mathematics.

Sorry you couldn't read the post directly above yours

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Goffer posted:

From 2013:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6310.0

Median is 83% of mean if the ratio is the same, meaning $66,660 is the median compared to the $80,000 average at the moment

Okay, but this includes part timers. Negligent was specifically talking about full time workers.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

In 2011 the median was something like $65k for someone employed full time. You can add inflation to that to approximate the current level.

Where can I find these figures?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Amethyst posted:

Okay, but this includes part timers. Negligent was specifically talking about full time workers.

That's the trick.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Where can I find these figures?

ABS has everything on their website.
http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/About+TableBuilder

Looks like it was a bit less than $65k.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Negligent posted:

Median and average are both perfectly fine measures of central tendency to support a statement that 80k is middle income

Your an idiot if you think that mean and median will provide the same value in such a skewed sample as wage earnings

Old but relevant

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/01/australian-income-inequality-worsens/

Median was 14% lower mean for fulltime workers

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Negligent, please stop being dishonest.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Thanks.

Freudian Slip posted:

Your an idiot if you think that mean and median will provide the same value in such a skewed sample as wage earnings

Old but relevant

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/01/australian-income-inequality-worsens/

Median was 14% lower mean.

I don't think calling people idiots over this poo poo is helpful. Politicians selectively manipulate statistics to serve their agenda. Keeping on top of it takes effort and starting a big fight every time someone repeats something they heard makes it harder

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm not trying to get the answer that most pleases statistical purists, to the normal voter, middle = average. So the treasurer's statement is fine. You can have a big argument about it but it's ultimately pointless nitpicking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amethyst posted:

Has this thread discussed the Shapes recipe change?

Only tried pizza Shapes since they changed it but..they're not nearly as good. Or maybe my sense of taste is on the way out again. Or both!

I was disappointed, either way.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I don't think calling people idiots over this poo poo is helpful. Politicians selectively manipulate statistics to serve their agenda. Keeping on top of it takes effort and starting a big fight every time someone repeats something they heard makes it harder

A person who can knows enough about statistics to confidently say

Negligent posted:

Median and average are both perfectly fine measures of central tendency to support a statement that 80k is middle income

is either an idiot or is trolling

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
edit: replying to negligent

Except that the statement is misleading.

Amethyst posted:

Politicians selectively manipulate statistics to serve their agenda.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Negligent posted:

I'm not trying to get the answer that most pleases statistical purists, to the normal voter, middle = average. So the treasurer's statement is fine. You can have a big argument about it but it's ultimately pointless nitpicking.

Come on. You're the one who made the original assertion based on statistical reasoning. You can't just write off further, perfectly reasonable statistical reasoning as purism.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only tried pizza Shapes since they changed it but..they're not nearly as good. Or maybe my sense of taste is on the way out again. Or both!

I was disappointed, either way.

yeah I tried the bbq ones and they're real bad. I kind of wish they would go back to the 90s recipe that had tons of oil smeared all over every biscuit

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Negligent posted:

Most people do think that the middle is the average, so either 65K for fulltime workers or less for the average worker. Only 25% of people earn above 80K, that is not average in anyone's book.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

A person of average intelligence gives no fucks about the difference between mean and median and would rather watch masterchef than stare at a graph purportedly showing how wrong something a politician said is

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Negligent posted:

A person of average intelligence gives no fucks about the difference between mean and median and would rather watch masterchef than stare at a graph purportedly showing how wrong something a politician said is

Ok. Why is that relevent?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Because average people judge the truth of a statement by their own lived experience regardless of evidence

See: prior statement 'no one i know is on 80k, all my friends are dirt poor, eat the rich'

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

to the normal voter, middle = average

"Normal voter"'s would take "the average Australian income is $x" to mean $x is what most Australians earn. This isn't true.

Unfortunately most people don't think about it for more than a half a second.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

Then how is perpetuating a misconception a good thing? Isn't it far better to get people to realise they're being mislead?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

I think all you need to say is "Only 25% of people earn above $80,000". Its simple and true.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So ScumMo said something that is statistically wrong and also likely to be seen as wrong by the average Australian.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Negligent posted:

75% of people not making $80,000 see people making more than $80,000 getting a tax cut, see politicians saying $80,000 is average, think about voting elsewhere

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The concept of middle class is meant to represent the typical person in a society not a perversion of statistics. Referring to a wage of the (approximately) top quartile as typical is the kind of bullshit politicking that's meant to be pulled apart and exposed by political reporting. So far I haven't really seen that happen.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kat Delacour posted:

The concept of middle class is meant to represent the typical person in a society not a perversion of statistics. Referring to a wage of the (approximately) top quartile as typical is the kind of bullshit politicking that's meant to be pulled apart and exposed by political reporting. So far I haven't really seen that happen.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/federal-budget/federal-budget-2016-tax-cuts-80000-is-anything-but-average-20160501-goj9w7.html

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

quote:

Asked at Sunday's press conference whether ordinary Australians earning well below $80,000 would be getting tax cuts, Morrison said the answer would be revealed on budget night. It'll have to be no. There are too many of them.

Partially speculative from before budget night, but better than nothing I suppose. I haven't read The Age since it morphed into the Herald Sun with a weaker paywall.

edit: and "Comments are now closed" so it's shut down for post-budget opining.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Lol T. Abs dropping bombs

The sector should be grateful to Ian McFarlane

Oh and btw one time I got handed an envelope of cash but I totes gave it back

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I did a surface scratch search for '80,000 budget' on The Guardian and ABC news. If I just searched for '80,000' I wasn't getting budget related results.

The first search result of an article after the budget for The Guardian was:
Bracket creep changes in budget to save 500,000 from second-top marginal tax rate
Largely focused on bracket creep and while it drops numbers it doesn't put them in perspective, for example it says "According to statistics from the Tax Office, over 2.5m taxpayers earn more than $80,000 a year." but doesn't explicitly translate that to the proportion of the population with reported incomes. This is an example of the failures of reporting I am talking about.

The first search result of an article after budget night for ABC news was:
Budget criticised as unfair and hollow
This article is mostly focused on the idea of "Labor ministers are warning that the 2016 budget leaves average families worse off, and while Labor will not block the tax cut for people earning above $80,000, it is dismissing it as only enough for a coffee and a biscuit." or "JON FAINE: But Prime Minister the flaw in that thinking is that people on $60-70-80,000 a year - they don't have spare money to put into super. They're struggling just to get by." and generally saying the tax cuts are meagre, without actually arguing the assertion of middle income. So not even avoiding the explicit outline of who is benefiting, it's an interview perpetuating the Howard Battler.

I'm not putting in a lot of effort on this search because I'm at work but let's pretend I'm rushing off to watch Masterchef or something. It should be clearly visible when someone searches for this poo poo: "Hey, guys, you are probably getting hosed. 75% (or some other more specific statistical analysis of the figures) of you are getting hosed. This is hosed."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The new internship program seems like a great new avenue for companies to rort the government for free labor. "Youth Jobs PaTH" is an impressively dumb looking name too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Negligent posted:

Oh and btw one time I got handed an envelope of cash but I totes gave it back

Yeah because he wanted a cheque

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

Up to 30,000 job seekers each year will gain a four to twelve week placement in an industry of their choosing. Interns will receive an incentive payment of $200 a fortnight paid in addition to their income support, and businesses will receive an upfront payment of $1,000 to host them.

lmao jesus christ.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
ABC radio today had a recording of turnbull getting shredded by a melbourne radio presenter, did anybody hear it or know the station it happened on?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Negligent posted:

What about a person of median intelligence though?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Prime Minister refuses to confirm the costs of his plan to cut company tax over 10 years, despite the Parliamentary Budget Office estimating it at $16.5 billion.

Why would you do that?

Also:

Mad Katter posted:

What about a person of median intelligence though?

Lmao

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

There's a reason the forward estimate are 4 years and it's because anything further is purestrain arse nuggets

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This slave labour initiative has to actually make it through the senate right? Surely that isn't going to happen.

Does anyone know when the first post budget poll is due?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The ALP is yet to say that they oppose the slave labour which has me worried.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They were interested in making the unemployed miserable when they were in government, why would being in opposition change anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Tonight bill shorten is going to do his best Kevin Rudd impression and repeat the phrase "me too" over and over

• Locked thread