Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
They're waiting to see public opinion on it. Obviously the most popular opinion is the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Malcolm Licinius Crassus Turnbull

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Turnbull is more like Gaius Julius Caesar IMO

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

ABC radio today had a recording of turnbull getting shredded by a melbourne radio presenter, did anybody hear it or know the station it happened on?

It was Jon Faine on 774

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten has a lot of boxes to tick tonight and "Labor opposes dooming our future to four dollars an hour" is a big loving Anidav Bingo Box.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-05/peter-dutton-says-media-should-reassess-approach-on-refugees/7387194

Peter Dutton says news organisations are 'prolonging the difficulty' of asylum seekers through coverage

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has hit out at the media over its coverage of asylum seekers and refugees, saying some news organisations need to "reassess their approach".

Earlier this week, Mr Dutton criticised advocates, who he believed were pressuring refugees to "behave in a certain way".

On Thursday, he said some news organisations were making the situation worse.

"There are some media outlets in this country who need to reassess their approach to these matters because again, like advocates, holding false hope out to people that somehow, through different resistance methods, that they're going to come to Australia, they are wrong and they are frankly, I think, prolonging the difficulty of these people," he said.

"They may think that they're smart and well intentioned, but they're not."

Mr Dutton said that while he was saddened by the self-immolations on Nauru, he believed the Government had the right policy settings.

"When I've spoken to the sailors and the ABF staff who have pulled drowned children from the sea, they've pulled body parts from the sea that have been attacked by sharks, that upsets me," he said.

"If you think that I'm going to allow people smugglers to get back into business and allow men, women and children to drown at sea again, then you well and truly underestimate how determined I am."

His comments came as another outgoing Labor MP took aim at the Government's asylum seeker policy, saying that Australia had "hardened its hearts".

Former speaker Anna Burke targeted the policy in her valedictory speech on Thursday, saying that while she was not a policy expert, she knew when "something's wrong".

"Let us turn back while there's still time," she told the chamber.

"These are people so traumatized that some are setting themselves on fire."

Ms Burke's comments echo those made by outgoing Labor MP Melissa Parke on Wednesday, who described Australia's offshore immigration detention network as a "festering wound that is killing people".

Here we go again. Stopping people drowning at sea line being trotted out.

I didn't see this posted:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's kind of hard to quantify the cost of the corporate tax cuts given how few of them pay the right amount now.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/MathiasCormann/status/728070061286510593

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Negligent posted:

I'm giving this the shallowest of analyses but Bob Hawke is a far better Caesar analogue.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Amoeba102 posted:

Here we go again. Stopping people drowning at sea line being trotted out.

I didn't see this posted:

The inevitable :fuckoff: from an actual refugee advocate.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/05/refugees-dont-self-harm-because-of-me-peter-dutton-they-self-harm-because-of-you

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

Who are you voting for?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

tithin posted:

Who are you voting for?

It's very rude to ask this question

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Adrian_Dodd/status/728025834804543488

:catstare:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Wayne swan literally had money in brown paper bags

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm actually completely unphased that he needed to ring someone to see what their moral compass said and that up till that point he had actually taken the money. Even better the whole thing sounds like Things_That_Didn't_Happen.txt. If you are going to make up a story to try and make you and your mate look good, probably best not to have you both involved in questionable conduct. Ah NTATA never change.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

I'm actually completely unphased that he needed to ring someone to see what their moral compass said and that up till that point he had actually taken the money. Even better the whole thing sounds like Things_That_Didn't_Happen.txt. If you are going to make up a story to try and make you and your mate look good, probably best not to have you both involved in questionable conduct. Ah NTATA never change.

It's amazing. He's honestly saying "some guy tried to bribe me but ho ho, honest Tones rang up honest Bill and we just got that money donated to the party instead" :psyduck:

it's still a bribe

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think its way more interesting and surprising that a politician on a politicians salary 'could really use' five grand.

Like, five grand would make a significant difference to my life on my :siren: median :siren: salary, what the gently caress is Tones spending his $700k/year on or whatever the gently caress PMs get paid that 5 grand would actually make a difference?

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Noted torture enabler Peter Garrett is reforming his band Midnight Oil for a sellout world tour, to rehash their popular brand of shouty protest songs. After the World Health Organization warned of hazardous irony levels in the venues, the Oils will employ a team of minimum wage roofing contractors to fashion foil insulation suits to protect fans. Symptoms of overexposure include hair loss, lack of coordination, tinnitus and a spinning moral compass.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

ABS has everything on their website.
http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/About+TableBuilder

Looks like it was a bit less than $65k.

I'm the Cum.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Laserface posted:

I think its way more interesting and surprising that a politician on a politicians salary 'could really use' five grand.

Like, five grand would make a significant difference to my life on my :siren: median :siren: salary, what the gently caress is Tones spending his $700k/year on or whatever the gently caress PMs get paid that 5 grand would actually make a difference?

Abbott's personal financial issues have cropped up a few times. After the 2007 election he complained about his drop in salary (and I think asked Labor for more money), and then took out a second mortgage.

It makes the time the Chaser confronted him with a chart comparing his personal debt to Australia's debt even funnier.

E: Also I think that 5k incident was early in his career, which is why he asked for help covering it up rather than knowing what to do.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

He bought a fridge off Gumtree because he's such a good normal bloke

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

Maybe if you take offence easily, but you seem to hate everything, so it's a valid question to ask

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Negligent doesn't understand means vs medians, Amethyst doesn't understand household vs personal income, I don't understand why anyone bothers loving replying to any of them.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Negligent doesn't understand means vs medians, Amethyst doesn't understand household vs personal income, I don't understand why anyone bothers loving replying to any of them.

Ignored posters are still shown in the post composition page. At least that's the cause of my issues.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

My mum always taught us it's rude to ask people who they're voting for.

And you should probably shut up about being thin skinned considering you unironically get triggered by stuff people post.

die in a loving fire

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
maybe people who think it's rude to ask who they vote for should stop voting for things they're ashamed of :shrug:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tokamak posted:

I'm the Cum.

Text me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you don't want to be asked how you vote, maybe don't post in a politics forum?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

And you should probably shut up about being thin skinned considering you unironically get triggered by stuff people post.

die in a loving fire

:shrug:

asking people to have some consideration for others is about the extent of as far as I'll go to avoid it, I don't get triggered or upset by seeing it, I simply ask once and move on.

If your purpose as a poster is to go out of your way to try to anger or upset people, that says more about you as a person than anything anyone else ever could - especially when asked a simple enough question. If you don't want to answer, an appropriate response would be "I don't want to answer" - Libertycat did.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Negligent posted:

die in a loving fire

I spend my weekends asking people who they're voting for.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Negligent not getting his way with bad statistics resorts to making jokes about poster's murdered relatives :thumbsup:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you don't want to be asked how you vote, maybe don't post in a politics forum?

i vote with a pencil and i number all the boxes below the line

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Never discuss religion or politics. Especially in a political discussion thread.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

What I can tell you, Minister Dutton, is that asylum seekers are not self-harming because of the advocates.

Asylum seekers are self-harming because of you.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Solemn Sloth posted:

You can't read.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hey Elmo, care to explain this video, specifically why labor denied the motion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efi0tXjQd6E

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

quoting for emphasis.

Negligent posted:

No it's not.

Negligent posted:

He bought a fridge off Gumtree because he's such a good normal bloke

he bought a fridge because it was a publicity stunt to make him look human.

Negligent posted:

die in a loving fire
:sotw::sotw::sotw::sotw:

It's called polling.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just because your mum thinks it's rude didn't make it so.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

Just to play negligent advocate here, my mum always said this too.

I have no idea why and how polling would fit in to her definition of rude though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

katlington posted:

What I can tell you, Minister Dutton, is that asylum seekers are not self-harming because of the advocates.

Asylum seekers are self-harming because of you

OH WOW whatta sick burn, that'll get them to change their tune RE: refugees!!!!

• Locked thread