Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
After playing Dark Souls 3 PvP, it's really amusing to go back and watch Dark Souls 1 and 2 pvp videos where the video maker does really outraged zoom ins and jump cuts and plays silly noises when the person they're attacking chugs an estus.

You didn't know the dark future that awaited you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The screaming corpses in Irithyll Dungeon are the worst enemies in the entire series. I got startled every single time.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There's something off with this message but I just can't quite put my finger on what.

It's genuine, I saw it with about 7000 appraisals a few days ago.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I never thought about killing Rosaria before. I guess it's not like she's needed for anything. :shrug: Time to go get her soul/ashes later then I guess.

lite_sleepr posted:

Uhh respecing is far too useful.

Rosaria and Ludeth don't need to be alive to use respecs or transposition.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
If you guys haven't tried it, sunbro the final boss. It is pretty drat hilarious to see four phantoms running around bopping the dude. Plus extra hilarity if the host has a bad connection and it basically makes him a pvp final boss because he jets around and has plenty of phantom hits. Hope you thought you planned for enough room for his five hit combo, because surprise! he's actually right next to you.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
How do I get more lightning urns?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Octo1 posted:

How do I get more lightning urns?

Greirat sells them

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Kild posted:

Greirat sells them

I already bought all the ones he has.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

BTW that spell mentioned a few pages back that Karla sells. How does that make any sense, if you're an undead how is a magic blade going to help you kill yourself. Isn't it implied that even dissecting and burying undead doesn't work that well?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Xenolalia posted:

BTW that spell mentioned a few pages back that Karla sells. How does that make any sense, if you're an undead how is a magic blade going to help you kill yourself. Isn't it implied that even dissecting and burying undead doesn't work that well?

The nature of the curse is murky. Some Hollows persist, others fade away gradually into nothing. Moreover, Karla is not undead. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Here's my experience with BlueCops, playing on PC:

55 hours of playtime on my main character. From the moment I had Sentinels I had it equipped, then switched out for Darkmoon. Covenant symbol on the top left was constantly blinking. Sentinels never got me a summon. Darkmoon got me "three", each hours apart:

1) Summoning failed.
2) Connection error, returning to own world. (Instantly on spawn).
3) Spawn in the middle of a patrol of Pontiff knights and a fire witch; they're instantly hostile and I get hosed before I can even move.

Then nothing for hours afterwards, until I gave the gently caress up and went back to being grossly incandescent.

I haven't seen a covenant this badly implemented since Gravelords. Two completely redundant covenants, both relying on a third, pretty much useless one, to work. Yay? Most hosts have no reason to keep the Way of Blue equipped because they can just spam summon people from white and gold signs, so there's a miniscule pool of players eligible to host invasions.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well that was fun. I was prepared for aldritch faithful this time so I had a giant seed up and just sprinted the entire zone all the way to Aldrich, one faithful got murdered by a silver knight and the other got left behind from the elevator. Now I have to go back through the zone and actually get all the loot, ugh double crocdogs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xenolalia posted:

If theories about Karla being Zullie's daughter are correct, then her mother is not undead and Karla is... half undead? But she might also be Zullie renamed/reincarnated? At any rate Zullie seems to have been a fragment of Manus and Karla is at least partly that.

Who knows how death works anyway. Fellow undead NPCs (well, except the Shrine Maiden, DS3 Andre, the DS3 Firekeeper...) and undead bosses seem to stay dead, as did all the fragments of Manus in DS2.

So undead don't stay dead unless you kill them really hard, and whether you killed them hard enough is determined by whether they're still needed for gameplay or not.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 5, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So was the design document for champion gundam "gently caress all caster builds forever" or is there something I'm missing because the only way it seemed possible was using the fastest weapon I had and playing bloodborne mode

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Digirat posted:

So was the design document for champion gundam "gently caress all caster builds forever" or is there something I'm missing because the only way it seemed possible was using the fastest weapon I had and playing bloodborne mode

Spoiler video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbwox_PEO48

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Can I summon an NPC for the final two bossfights, then use a Black Separation Crystal on them, so that the bosses gets higher health?
Also, random question, but if you don't free Greirat, will Patches never spawn?

turtlecrunch posted:

Well that man-serpent isn't really alone, it's just the only one left alive out of the pile of them there.
Just like the original serpents in Sen's and the Archive were Seath experiments, perhaps these ones are Oceiros' experiments before he worked things out on going dragon.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 5, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just bought an Xbone controller for my PC and wanted a to play a game with it. Is Dark Souls III pretty fun? I've only played DS1 when it came out a while ago and got about half way before getting bored of it but maybe second time's the charm?

e: Is Steam the cheapest place to get this and what's this $25 season pass DLC? I don't actually see any info about it.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

okay so I was gonna get all the trophies in this game like every other one in the series, but after acquiring what I thought to be every miracle, sorcery, pyromancy and ring, I found out covenant stuff counts this time too. So uh, sl120 wolf covenant: apparently never gonna get a hit. Aldrich covenant? Well, I've been standing here for an hour with no hits, so nope. Blues? Two playthroughs with the covenant item on and no hits.

I guess dark souls wins over me finally. And here I thought Bloodborne had the toughest trophy with having to beat the mega bosses with half health, but really what broke me here was that covenants do not work at all apparently

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

You can get covenant items off enemies, but they have absurdly low drop rates.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

yeah I'll need to come back to that when I'm bored enough to do the same mindless task over and over for like 6 hours

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

smuh posted:

yeah I'll need to come back to that when I'm bored enough to do the same mindless task over and over for like 6 hours

Pure Bladestone says hi

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

You can summon the Swordmaster again there, and he pretty much kill him solo.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ive been playing this game with not much vigor, the ring that makes you take increased damage in exchange for more iframes, and only wearing legs for armor. i just killed aldritch

i probably should have read up on mitigation stats because literally every boss and most enemies 1-shot me at this point. guess im wearing armor now :(

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

smuh posted:

It's more like six hours for six drops, on a good day, constantly crunching coins to top out your possible itemfind%.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

It's more like six hours for six drops, on a good day, constantly crunching coins to top out your possible itemfind%.
I'm trying to be positive here

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought an Xbone controller for my PC and wanted a to play a game with it. Is Dark Souls III pretty fun? I've only played DS1 when it came out a while ago and got about half way before getting bored of it but maybe second time's the charm?

e: Is Steam the cheapest place to get this and what's this $25 season pass DLC? I don't actually see any info about it.

The DLC thing I assume is like DS2, basically they'll release 3 additional areas in the future and each pack will probably be 9.99, so you save 5 by buying the DLC pack in advance.

Still, if you're not sure you'll like the game, I'd wait on the DLC. No use putting money down on something you might not play (which I feel like an idiot saying because up to a few years ago I was a "it's on sale so I'll buy it" person :( )

About the game being fun... I'll tell you yes but as a aficionado of the series. The base paradigms are still the same: pay attention to your surroundings, to the enemies and their movements; until you're familiar with enemies and areas, it's slow methodical progression. Or you can summon buddies to help you out.

Edit: grammar.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 5, 2016

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Like every previous souls game, I got all the achievements. And now also like every previous souls game I burned out and don't want to start any of the gimmick runs I had planned. RIP Simon Belmont, Solaire, and Abyss Walkers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can anyone recommend a non spoiler review for this game that goes in depth about the combat and RPG elements and so on? Also where can I go to spoiler myself about the DS1+2 story since I'm assuming it'll matter at least a tiny bit? I don't mind if it's slow and hard either but am I going to be able to make progress if I just wanted to play for an hour or so at a time?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So a little while in and my Lothric Knight Spear run has become very dull. There's no variation in your attacks, and the poise thing means I keep getting smacked out of otherwise perfect attacks by an enemy's backhand or whatever. Ah well. I'll just stick with the longsword I guess. :v:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Playing my first souls game I started a knight and am now in Farron Keep. Decided to see what sorcery was like so made a new char to test it out.

Is it really this terrible? Spell damage seems really really low and managing FP seems like it'd be a pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9YA7EE-F20

Also, had an NPC invade and never saw it so decided to go on about my business. Ran into him and took care of him the best way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYzB-yUhos

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
sorcery becomes good around mid game when you get the good spells. if you think drinking estus to get more FP is worth being able to kill stuff at range go for it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

To be fair, you're supposed to come back later to kill that giant crystal lizard, it's intentionally much stronger than everything in the tutorial area.
But yeah, sorcery does really poor damage until late game from what I hear.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Strike weapons are p great. When I was under the dilapidated bridge I got invaded by some purple phantom named Holy Kirk I think. He started to own me, but then I got a hit in and he was stun locked for all 5 of the hits my stamina would allow for. Repeated until he was dead.

Then right after, those huge guys with the big lumberjack saws or stone pots full of heads charged me. I rolled, then hit him 5x in a row, each hit staggering him.

Are strike weapons this good always?

Monomythian posted:

Rosaria and Ludeth don't need to be alive to use respecs or transposition.

How do you respec or transpose boss souls then?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

Playing my first souls game I started a knight and am now in Farron Keep. Decided to see what sorcery was like so made a new char to test it out.
Is it really this terrible? Spell damage seems really really low and managing FP seems like it'd be a pain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9YA7EE-F20

yeah it's pretty bad- the buff it got is like a 10-20% damage buff across the board but the actual spell balance didn't change so it's still inefficient to use anything but great heavy missile and the progression is still the same where it sucks poo poo until the endgame when you get the last 3 big sorc. boosting items and your damage skyrockets through the roof to stupidly high levels (for ranged attacks anyways- in terms of DPS mashing R1/doing charged R2s with any melee weapon still has it beat, obviously)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All right I think I'm done, I got the last two ending achievements and now I've basically done everything in the game short of New Game+ for ONE single gesture, and the PVP stuff to get the final miracle, ring, sorcery and pyromancy etc. I figure I'll just leave my save where it is until the DLC comes out since I really like the last character I put together, I'm not going to grind out PVP for those last items which means I'll always be frustratingly one spell/item short of those final achievements - I really should have checked up on that before starting a completionist run 50 hours earlier.

Having seen all three (achievement based) endings now, I think my favorite is having the Firekeeper put out the flame herself. There was something oddly hopeful and even peaceful about that ending, in contrast to the other two where I felt like I was (standard ending) just restarting the whole hosed up cycle all over again or (Yuria & Yoel ending) wresting control of the flame for myself to rule over a world of hollows as their dark overlord. The final line you hear on the black screen was I thought a really nice way to end things, again it read to me as rather sweet and hopeful.

Edit: Maybe now I should actually play Scholar of the First Sin....

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Strike weapons are p great. When I was under the dilapidated bridge I got invaded by some purple phantom named Holy Kirk I think. He started to own me, but then I got a hit in and he was stun locked for all 5 of the hits my stamina would allow for. Repeated until he was dead.
That's an NPC, not a player. ;) Generally players can roll away / parry after getting hit twice in a row, no matter the weapon.

lite_sleepr posted:

How do you respec or transpose boss souls then?
You "talk" to their uh... remains.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is Morne's Hammer worth the 30 faith? On my strength build i want to use it but that's a big investment.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna ask again since I think it got missed.

If you find a world of darkness and there are ages of dark between ages of fire, what purpose do the Knights have? Who do they have? It seems clear that the handmaiden sticks around through the dark, but no one else does. Why is that?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
The Knights no longer have a purpose. They're relics of a past age that perform duties long since fulfilled. The Silver Knights watch over an empty, infested cathedral while the Black Knights wander the land in search of demons that scarcely exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://trogg.net/DS3Calc/

AR calc (very basic atm)