Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enraged_camel posted:

Hmm, was it?

Yes it was, that's why the scene was funny.

If Savage gets away, like escapes, that would be fine, becuase that's a pretty standard thing for a reoccuring villain, but if he does have a grand plan of getting captured, then gently caress that poo poo, its so hackney and cliche they might as well have Savage reveal he's really Rips brother or some other silly thing.

Savage also needs to get a new graphic designer, his evil empire logo looked like what you'd see for a building management company. Come on dude, you're an ancient Egyptian, have a cool hawk, or crocodile or some other vicious animal, you can even work in your knife in there. Nope, buncha lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Robot Hobo posted:

Also, assuming it's even true that Savage did something to Carter's mind, why would anyone possibly believe that only he can fix it? Yeah, Savage says so, but what does he know?

Well, he's immortal and can throw knives pretty good, so we should take him on his word that he has mind-bending powers because

uh

hmm

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe he's got a super cool brainwashing machine, no, seriously, he does. It's in the other room, but he just moved, so you can't go in becuase of boxes.

I cannot believe I only just thought of this now

Basically this season.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only good thing about Savage is that Hawkgirl and Hawkman literally trigger him when they come close. It makes me giggle every time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

they might as well have Savage reveal he's really Rip's father

Might as well go for broke :wookie:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xoidanor posted:

Just is? I did pre-face it with I feel for a reason. :v:
I agree. You can have a kind of plot hole in a work of fiction that makes you go 'eh, OK that weakens the work a bit' but still be on board. Like many of the leaps you have to make in Batman V Superman for the plot to work...

Those kind of errors in a time travel plot (where the main mechanic is a FixIt For Free card) just make it fall apart and make it harder for the audience to care.

Like the Grimdark future where OneArm Ollie is a hermit? Automatically ceases to happen when Lance gets back to 2015. So there are no stakes or significance to that, other than the brief character beat Time Lesbian gets.

Or the deal with the Time Orphans. Rip saying that Time will Coalesce around their absence over a (set, nebulous) amount of time. But Our Heroes have been jumping around for weeks (Years for Kendra and Ray). Somehow this absence doesn't affect them? So Rip is either a lying dick or incompetent.

Or the clumsy explanation for The Pilgrim attacking their childhood selves: she can Only get one chance at it or the damage would be catastrophic! (Says the team that's had half a dozen shots at killing Savage and yet...)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FilthyImp posted:

Or the clumsy explanation for The Pilgrim attacking their childhood selves: she can Only get one chance at it or the damage would be catastrophic! (Says the team that's had half a dozen shots at killing Savage and yet...)
Rip himself, in the latest episode, explained that he went back to the time his family was killed, over and over again, going slightly earlier each time. He couldn't even count how many times he did it, which (even for these characters) should suggest a number greater than two or three. But Pilgrim only gets one shot at changing the timeline because... um... stuff.

On the other hand, that would imply that somewhere nearby, just a couple days in the future, there's hundreds of Rip Hunters all crying at once when each of them simultaneously fails to save his family. A warehouse full of sobbing Rips, the floor ankle-deep in tears.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 2, 2016

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
How hard can it be to park your time ship right next to your doorstep and just have them walk over the entrance

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Hobo posted:

On the other hand, that would imply that somewhere nearby, just a couple days in the future, there's hundreds of Rip Hunters all crying at once when each of them simultaneously fails to save his family. A warehouse full of sobbing Rips, the floor ankle-deep in tears.

Time duplicates are always doomed.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Why doesn't Rip just take his family back to 2016.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why doesn't Rip just take his family back to 2016.

"DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Why doesn't Rip just _________"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Robot Hobo posted:

Rip himself, in the latest episode, explained that he went back to the time his family was killed, over and over again, going slightly earlier each time. He couldn't even count how many times he did it, which (even for these characters) should suggest a number greater than two or three. But Pilgrim only gets one shot at changing the timeline because... um... stuff.

I like how the explanation for that was that "time wants to happen". I think it would be hilarious if the reason that Rip's retards can't stop Savage is for the same reason.

The Time Masters were right all along :tinfoil:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If time worked that way why do we need Time Masters in the first place!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nooneofconsequence posted:

If time worked that way why do we need Time Masters in the first place!

To act smug about it and be assholes I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Time duplicates are always doomed.

Jax : Kiss my front-butt!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing every single time master is Vandal Savage

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Fat Shat Sings posted:

`Oh dear,' says Rip, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If Savage takes over the world based on his position as Per Degaton's tutor, why not just go back to the tutor interviews, pour sugar in Savage's gas tank so he didn't get there on time, and get Sara or Snart or somebody hired as the tutor instead?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

boom boom boom posted:

If Savage takes over the world based on his position as Per Degaton's tutor, why not just go back to the tutor interviews, pour sugar in Savage's gas tank so he didn't get there on time, and get Sara or Snart or somebody hired as the tutor instead?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Triikan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-WHitlw8A

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Starting a rewatch of Flash Season 1, and it's remarkable how much better it is than Legends of Tomorrow. Even the pilot, which has a few misses (especially in some of the dialogue), is better paced and has smarter character development. And, somehow, less exposition.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem at this point is the writing staff is basically butter spread over too much bread for all 3 shows; their high notes are nowhere near as high as they were and their lows are digging through the bottom of the barrel.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem at this point is the writing staff is basically butter spread over too much bread for all 3 shows; their high notes are nowhere near as high as they were and their lows are digging through the bottom of the barrel.

4 shows if you include Supergirl, which I believe Kreisberg, Guggenheim, and Berlanti all work on as well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FactsAreUseless posted:

Starting a rewatch of Flash Season 1, and it's remarkable how much better it is than Legends of Tomorrow. Even the pilot, which has a few misses (especially in some of the dialogue), is better paced and has smarter character development. And, somehow, less exposition.

I think after Flash Season 1, the CWDCU fell off. I still watch all the shows this season but may drop all 3 next.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, they have the same crew? Are you kidding me?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Warner Brothers believes in extracting cucumber water from the sands of the Gobi Desert

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Xoidanor posted:

Not entirely the same but I think there's some overlap?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Xoidanor posted:

Not the same entire crew, but the 3 main creators/writers definitely overlap, and I think some of the other writers do as well.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on dying of space cancer Jax.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Doesn't Firestorm absorb all this? Why would send in one half of that?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Ray! Don't be an idiot!

Wait, this is Ray. Dammit.

Edit: :doh: RAY!!!!

Kammat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 6, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kammat posted:

Ray! Don't be an idiot!

Wait, this is Ray. Dammit.

Congrats Ray on walking in an enclosed space with a guy who has had 2000 years of combat experience.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Rory is so sick of Rip's poo poo at this point.

And Ray continues to gently caress up.

Edit: And Snart continues to own.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
AGAIN??

Savage is out, Carter is free. MACE THE FUCKER, GAH

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Thank gently caress he's dead again.

Edit: Or not? poo poo.

Edit 2: "You're here to answer for your crimes?" "No, I'm here to JUSTIFY them." is almost enough to make Rip own.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 6, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I can't wait until the season's over so I can have the good stuff cherry-picked for me to avoid the awful.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Why is everyone in this show so loving stupid

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

FactsAreUseless posted:

Flash Season 1, despite having some faults, is incredibly solid on rewatch. Helps having a villain that is actually sinister and an actor that can carry the weight of the role.

Also wow the end of this episode was so laughably predictable.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Ray "Leeroy Jenkins" Palmer.

Maybe Vandal is right. Monarchies, democracies, dictatorships...we've tried every system and ended up hosed. Maybe the world actually needs the iron fist of a single immortal leader to create unity.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

On the plus side, Sara learning how to pilot the ship gets us closer to a Time Lesbian spinoff.

• Locked thread