Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Greetings friends. I have just recently made my first purchase into the Dark Souls universe after only playing about 5 mins of Demon Souls many years ago. Aside from the usual horror stories of how loving hard this game is, I'm very green to this series.

I'm currently on my first character, a Lvl.14 Sorcerer and playing hardcore keep away games to keep from dying. It took me a total of four attempts to clear the first boss fight (Knight with the sword in his chest) and I'm now on the wall of some place killing zombie mourners.

Any tips for a fresh player? You know, besides "git gud" or "don't die"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Any tips for choosing equipment? I started as an assassin, and I haven't really found anything that's strictly better than what I started with.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Boz0r posted:

Any tips for choosing equipment? I started as an assassin, and I haven't really found anything that's strictly better than what I started with.
You mean weapons? Stats aren't everything, if that helps - different weapons can have vastly different move sets, try stuff out to see if it feels good, man.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Boz0r posted:

Honestly you may never. The Estoc is a great weapon (eventually you'll want to infuse it according to how your stats develop) and armor is mostly a matter of aesthetics and weight since there's no poise so if you like how the Assassin set looks (I dug it other than the hood) you can just play through the whole game with that stuff.

There's no reason not to experiment with different weapons' movesets and see if you prefer something else, though, and you can probably replace that Target with something better. The Llewellyn Shield offers superior protection if you want to stick with a lightweight parrying shield, but if you don't parry shields like the Warrior Shield that let you use weapon arts one-handed are probably smarter choices.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

RanKizama posted:

Greetings friends. I have just recently made my first purchase into the Dark Souls universe after only playing about 5 mins of Demon Souls many years ago. Aside from the usual horror stories of how loving hard this game is, I'm very green to this series.

I'm currently on my first character, a Lvl.14 Sorcerer and playing hardcore keep away games to keep from dying. It took me a total of four attempts to clear the first boss fight (Knight with the sword in his chest) and I'm now on the wall of some place killing zombie mourners.

Honestly, reroll to a Knight or other melee character. Sorcerers are tough to play in the early game and it will get harder before it gets easier. If you want to go the magic route, reroll Pyromancer since Pyromancy deals solid damage with minimal investment.

Going melee will teach you the game a lot more effectively imo, as you'll need to learn rolling iframes and it gets you more intimate with boss animations as opposed to sitting out of range throwing magic

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Is Morne's Hammer worth the 30 faith? On my strength build i want to use it but that's a big investment.

Judge for yourself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9o0fDUlyw

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kild posted:

the DLC should let us kill Gwynevere and Ocelotte. Put an end to the loving gwyn family

A Gwynevere fight could be so good/tragic if they did it right. Could do a nice throwback to Demon's Souls and Maiden Astrea.

Instead of Garl Vinland, Ocelotte tries to be his mother's protector, then after you defeat him, Gwynevere takes up his arms and makes a feeble Sif-below-10%-health attempt at beating you, all the while begging you not to kill her. Like she can barely swing his sword with both hands, and any offensive spell she has is really weak, since she's all about healing, etc.

:(

They'd have to contrive some reason why you have to kill her, but make you feel like an absolute dick when you do.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Hardest fight in the game because you'd be distracted by those bomb rear end titties.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RanKizama posted:

Most mobs leash, so if poo poo get bad, run the hell away. Also you can run past most groups of enemies.

Get the hang of rolling either towards the enemies or to the side. Going straight back often gets you caught by a long range thrust of some kind.

Being close is not always bad, a lot of enemies have attacks you can dodge and weave around if you are sticking close to them, conversely some can grab you, so you need to learn which movement imply "get the gently caress out"

Boss and enemy attacks are often distance based, so you can bait out specific attacks. This lets you then roll in the optimal direction and try and land a backstab, or just nail them with a combo.

You can respec a little sooner then midway through the game, once you find a specific npc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Get a simple infused shield so you can spam FP skills. (first gem you can get is Irithyll Dungeon)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hardest fight in the game because you'd be distracted by those bomb rear end titties.

Bonus points if the actual strategy can be summed up as Try Finger But Hole

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Verviticus posted:

ive been playing this game with not much vigor, the ring that makes you take increased damage in exchange for more iframes, and only wearing legs for armor. i just killed aldritch

i probably should have read up on mitigation stats because literally every boss and most enemies 1-shot me at this point. guess im wearing armor now :(

Defense and damage resistance are weird in DS3.

The difference between light armor and heavy armor is pretty small, to the point that increasing Vitality to wear heavy armor is a waste if you're doing it for defensive purposes. But the difference between "no armor" and "literally any armor" is huge, even in a single slot.

Digirat posted:

So was the design document for champion gundam "gently caress all caster builds forever" or is there something I'm missing because the only way it seemed possible was using the fastest weapon I had and playing bloodborne mode

The design document for Dark Souls 3 is basically "gently caress all caster builds forever." Okay, so they generally get decent in the very late game, but it's a long and painful slog to get there.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 5, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Brutal.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Stokes posted:

Start as Knight. Equip Worker Hat. Congrats you are now Adelbert Steiner.

um excuse me but the hat being made of metal is key, as are the necessity of shorts :colbert:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The worker hat is a placeholder until you can get the abyss watchers helmet.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Control Volume posted:

The worker hat is a placeholder until you can get the abyss watchers helmet.

They got some blood borne in my dark souls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lovely Senorita posted:

um excuse me but the hat being made of metal is key, as are the necessity of shorts :colbert:

Abyss Watchers helmet would be perfect for Steiner if it weren't for the lower-face mask part of it.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

RanKizama posted:

i know this answer sucks to hear, but sorcery is hard to roll with in this entry until mid-lategame so since this is one of your first forays into the series you might want to do the aforementioned restart as a knight.

that said, you whipped the first boss's rear end in a few goes so maybe sticking with it is ok. pump int like a madman and don't forget to upgrade your staff, since that does increase magic damage dealt. if at any point it feels poo poo, it probably is, try seeing what life is like behind a shield and sword (its beautiful, let me tell you)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
has anyone tried shotels yet? i was thinking about it today since i found lautrecs armor last night, probably gonna put it together tonight and give it a shot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boz0r posted:

You might well not find any weapons better than what you start with.

I don't know if you've played a Souls game before so I apologize if I'm explaining something you already understand, but basically, these games will generally let you use any weapon you like from start to finish so long as you upgrade it at the blacksmith. There isn't really a linear progression of weapons from weaker to stronger like in a lot of RPGs. Some late-game weapons are certainly flashier or more "special," but not necessarily stronger. In fact, if you started as an Assassin, you've got the Estoc, which is one of the best weapons in the game.

For armor, just wear what you think looks good and that lets you roll normally. Make sure you have something equipped in any slot or your defense plummets. Other than that, the difference between armor defense ratings isn't enough to really care about that much.

RanKizama posted:

Keep a melee weapon around and don't be afraid to use it. Sorcery has a pretty slow start in Dark Souls III compared to, well, all of the previous games. It gets strong eventually, but early on, you're going to need good melee ability to fall back on when your spells are too slow and/or weak to be your main source of offense.

You probably have several Raw Gems by now. If you're not leveling up your Strength and Dexterity (and focusing on Intelligence instead), you should take whatever melee weapon works well for you--a straight sword is a good option, or a thrusting sword, or if you've found something you like the feel of by all means use that--and have Andre the Blacksmith infuse it using that Raw Gem. It'll remove stat scaling from it, but that's not a big deal if you have low Strength and Dexterity, because it also boosts the base damage by a lot. It basically frees you from having to worry about Strength and Dexterity until you can get gems that let you infuse your weapon with magic damage later on.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 5, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Zlad really makes this video

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

That looks awesome. I need to figure out a gimmick PVP style like that as well. Something equally big and un parryable. Except nothing else has that weapon skill. I wonder if there is a good enough way to make a Mario look a like character. Then I can run around with the Great Wooden Hammer.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I just got to Catacombs of Carthus, and suddenly I was jumped by what I assume was another player. Why was he in my game suddenly? It was so laggy that any hits were completely random, and all the other monsters still attacked only me.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Demtor posted:

That looks awesome. I need to figure out a gimmick PVP style like that as well. Something equally big and un parryable. Except nothing else has that weapon skill. I wonder if there is a good enough way to make a Mario look a like character. Then I can run around with the Great Wooden Hammer.

demon's greataxe has this big fireburst weapon art that looks cool and i feel like it'd be hard to parry

i think old demon king's hammer or whatever its called has a similar ability

Boz0r posted:

I just got to Catacombs of Carthus, and suddenly I was jumped by what I assume was another player. Why was he in my game suddenly? It was so laggy that any hits were completely random, and all the other monsters still attacked only me.

enemy invaders do not have to fight your world's monsters unless you use a Seed of a Giant

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, my character with the sword is SL 91 so that might be it.

Viperix, I need to head off to bed for work tomorrow but if you still need it tomorrow we can try again.

Quoting this from pages back but I'm 100% sure the problem here is that one of you has the red sky High Wall of Lothric and the other doesn't. Despite them being the same in every other aspect (invasions, messages) you can't see summon signs that are put down on the other version. The high level character will have to progress to NG+ so they don't have a red sky anymore, or you have to progress the low level character to a further bonfire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boz0r posted:

You got invaded! :3:

Other players can invade your game if you're playing online and if you've used an Ember. They get a reward if they kill you (an Ember and an item depending on their covenant, usually). Enemies in your world don't react to invading players unless you use a Seed of a Giant Tree, which makes them notice the invader, too.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Quoting this from pages back but I'm 100% sure the problem here is that one of you has the red sky High Wall of Lothric and the other doesn't. Despite them being the same in every other aspect (invasions, messages) you can't see summon signs that are put down on the other version. The high level character will have to progress to NG+ so they don't have a red sky anymore, or you have to progress the low level character to a further bonfire.

I was early in NG+, so that's probably not it, unless Viperix was in the red sky version. That's kind of interesting that those are treated as separate areas, though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jastiger posted:

If you find a world of darkness and there are ages of dark between ages of fire, what purpose do the Knights have? Who do they have? It seems clear that the handmaiden sticks around through the dark, but no one else does. Why is that?

Those knights are probably hollowed out, wandering around in a daze of confusion and helplessness, and clinging onto the one thing they only know what to do. It's telling that the silver knights still patrol Anor Londo, and the two black knights are either knee-deep in the demon ruins trying to slay the last of them, or navigating the Farron Keep trying to reach the stray demon gatekeeper. It's all they've got left.

The handmaidens are surely 'in' on it with whatever greater force is driving the whole thing. It's the handmaidens who start the player on their way in Dark Souls 2 and seemingly so again in DS3 to a lesser extent. They obviously know a lot more than they let on. That the DS3 firelink handmaiden is still there in the abyss speaks volumes.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I'm curious if this happens to anyone else. Hanging out in an area, wondering if someone might invade me, try using dried fingers but nobody's biting. After I give up I head into the boss fog door and IMMEDIATELY "Dark mad spirit bongkingwut has returned to his world" appears.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Rafza posted:

enemy invaders do not have to fight your world's monsters unless you use a Seed of a Giant

Can I prevent random people from invading my world? It feels like I just lost a shitload of souls completely randomly.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Boz0r posted:

Can I prevent random people from invading my world? It feels like I just lost a shitload of souls completely randomly.

Dont be embered

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boz0r posted:

Either play offline or don't use an Ember and players can't invade you.

In general, I tend to prefer that I'm open to invasions, because sometimes they can be pretty fun, even if I lose. But it definitely seems like a real kick in the nuts when you're not used to the game yet and another player comes in and murders you while you're busy fighting enemies.

If you have the Way of Blue covenant item, equip it. When you're invaded, there's a chance someone who's in the Blue Sentinels or Blade of the Darkmoon covenants will be summoned to defend you against your invader.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

How do I become "un-embered"?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Boz0r posted:

You are likely unembered right now. If the badge next your health, FP and stamina isn't all singed up, you're not embered.

edit: also if you're embered, your armor will appear slightly on fire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boz0r posted:

Die, mostly.

If you use an Ember item or beat a boss, you get that EMBER RESTORED message and +30% HP. Being in that state--where you have the fiery effect on you--opens you up to online play. You can summon other players or be invaded. If you die, you lose that Ember state until you either beat another boss or use another Ember.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Digirat posted:

So was the design document for champion gundam "gently caress all caster builds forever" or is there something I'm missing because the only way it seemed possible was using the fastest weapon I had and playing bloodborne mode

Killed him in 20 seconds yesterday on my sorcerer. You don't bring sick kung fu to a laser fight.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Boz0r posted:

by dying and not using the ember item

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Boz0r posted:

Your normal state is unembered. When you beat a boss you become embered. When you use and ember you become embered.

Your faction symbol octogenarian left of your health will be firey to let you know.

When embered

1. You get 25% bigger health bar
2. You can do coop stuff. Summon Allis from white glowing names on the ground and be invaded.

I reccomend, ember in right outside a boss door if you want help, there is usually a safe spot there where people will drop summon signs and if you DO get invaded just go into the boss fight, the rear end in a top hat can't follow you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bombadilillo posted:

Your normal state is unembered. When you beat a boss you become embered. When you use and ember you become embered.

Your faction symbol octogenarian left of your health will be firey to let you know.

When embered

1. You get 25% bigger health bar
2. You can do coop stuff. Summon Allis from white glowing names on the ground and be invaded.

I reccomend, ember in right outside a boss door if you want help, there is usually a safe spot there where people will drop summon signs and if you DO get invaded just go into the boss fight, the rear end in a top hat can't follow you.
That's a really old faction symbol

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

rotaryfun posted:

Playing my first souls game I started a knight and am now in Farron Keep. Decided to see what sorcery was like so made a new char to test it out.

Is it really this terrible? Spell damage seems really really low and managing FP seems like it'd be a pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9YA7EE-F20

Anything crystal-related has an extremely high resistance to magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Those knights are probably hollowed out, wandering around in a daze of confusion and helplessness, and clinging onto the one thing they only know what to do. It's telling that the silver knights still patrol Anor Londo, and the two black knights are either knee-deep in the demon ruins trying to slay the last of them, or navigating the Farron Keep trying to reach the stray demon gatekeeper. It's all they've got left.

The handmaidens are surely 'in' on it with whatever greater force is driving the whole thing. It's the handmaidens who start the player on their way in Dark Souls 2 and seemingly so again in DS3 to a lesser extent. They obviously know a lot more than they let on. That the DS3 firelink handmaiden is still there in the abyss speaks volumes.

Dazzling Addar posted:

The Knights no longer have a purpose. They're relics of a past age that perform duties long since fulfilled. The Silver Knights watch over an empty, infested cathedral while the Black Knights wander the land in search of demons that scarcely exist.

These posts make sense, I hadn't thought of it that way. Them being directionless souls just bent on killing whatever. I guess what was different was that in the Unlit firelink, EVERYONE is gone, but its clear they were there before. Not even the firekeeper is there, she's dead behind a fake wall with eyes that saw the world go dark. THis tells me that the firekeepers are closer to automatons pre programmed to always want the fire to be linked. But if they are automatons, why did they die but the handmaidens do not? Why has everyone gone hollow but still disappeared? For example the Master dude is obviously hollow but he's still around. WHy did he disappear when the fire went out? Shouldn't he, like the knights, be on eternal vigil despite flame status? I really love the lore in this game but it sticks in my nerd craw that there are so many unanswered questions. Why do specific entities survive ages? Why are their souls passed down? Where did Seath/Nito/etc go from DS1 if we're playing the consistent parts of the story throughout the ages and Gwyn from DS1 was indeed the original storyline. Those guys were around then too, where did they go?