Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

So, Paranoia kickstarter. It's a year late now and here's the book cover art:

I skipped backing this because of the preview art and it looks like that was a good idea.
Oh man that's awful. I concur with Evil Mastermind - that cover art tells you precisely nothing about the game. It's not evocative of the setting, and it's just terrible, too. It's bad; I would not be drawn to the book by this cover. Paranoia 2e, XP, etc. did a fine job. This has an eye, some kinds of machines or something, and a dude pointing a finger.

I initially backed it, but then cancelled my pledge, and I am super glad that I did.

Is there anything new about the rules, yet?

e: Oh god I just saw the art from the previous update. It's just as bad if not worse!

WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON HERE

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I could maybe forgive a first-person shooter laser barrel once, but twice?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

I could maybe forgive a first-person shooter laser barrel once, but twice?
I mean, what is even happening in the second one? I think maybe they are in a train tunnel and a train is coming, but the guy in the distance is - from all appearances - happily running around sideways in a spiral, and the disembodied floating FPS gun is ... looking at all of this? IT MAKES NO SENSE. NOT EVEN IN A GOOD 'PARANOIA' WAY.

It's so, so ... bad. Just. Bad. The one with the clones is approaching being pretty okay, but I just ...

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

That art is loving terrible. I can't imagine how it could tell you less about the game other than using cover art from a 2e D&D module.

It is mesmerizingly bad. Like (in the first one) the lighting is just all over, there's a big hotspot on his right side and a giant television behind him, but he's got a soft shadow going behind him to his right. His position makes no sense; is he, what, circle-strafing? My brain can't add up the perspective, either. There's no way I can imagine the laser, his front leg, and the machine above his head all existing in the same geometric space... unless this is some kind of Ames room, or he's actually not on the ground but floating very close to the camera or something.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 2, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
More than any technical issues, the art is just really dull and uninteresting.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Hardcore ripping on Portal. GLaDOS Friend Computer is unhappy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The pod one would work better if the people all looked identical, rather than generic whitey.

Weird red vib in the bottom right does not make any sense either. Is it a lever? Is it all taking place from the point of view of the lost in space robot?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I flipped back to this tab a few times to see the train... thing. I'm on the verge of cackling madly. So, it's more a lovecraftian thing?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought maybe she was falling down a hole and you're looking up (or down?) at her, but a subway train makes more sense - there's just nothing to communicate movement or speed. (Rumbling dust clouds near the tracks, tracks, flying debris, motion blur, etc.)

Adding the viewer as a character makes no sense at all - why keep the gun trained on someone who is inevitably about to die? Why is the viewer casually pointing a gun in the direction of the oncoming train? It is all very confusing and doesn't unpack well.

Thankfully there were many indications that this wasn't going to be good. The art is technically better than when it was announced, but I don't imagine the game is substantially more polished.

E: I always felt like no art / minimal art is better in cases like this. A blood-spattered piece of 80s computer printer-paper with PARANOIA spelled out in ascii art would be infinitely more stylish, iconic, and eye-catching than whatever happened here.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 3, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

E: I always felt like no art / minimal art is better in cases like this. A blood-spattered piece of 80s computer printer-paper with PARANOIA spelled out in ascii art would be infinitely more stylish, iconic, and eye-catching than whatever happened here.
The Print Shop for Apple ][ would indeed make better cover art than any of these pictures we've seen so far.

I am stunned more backers aren't crucifying them in the update comments.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I am stunned more backers aren't crucifying them in the update comments.
I'd imagine that most of the backers were okay with the lovely art from when the campaign started, so anything even remotely better would be an improvement.

Five'll get you ten they're also the same types of players who like Paranoia for the LOLRANDOM stuff instead of the actually good satire.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd imagine that most of the backers were okay with the lovely art from when the campaign started, so anything even remotely better would be an improvement.

Five'll get you ten they're also the same types of players who like Paranoia for the LOLRANDOM stuff instead of the actually good satire.
You're killing me here, man!

I did see something about two previous cover artists quitting, which might explain the 'middling-quality DeviantArt' style, but still.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

You're killing me here, man!
Hey, it's not like I like seeing one of my favorite RPGs being treated like this. Paranoia 2e was very influential to me as a GM because when it came out it was the exact opposite of the rigid rules and mindsets of other games of the era.

It's so bizarre when you think about the rollercoaster of quality from 2e to 5e to XP editions to this.

In more positive news, Ulisses Spiele will be launching a KS for The Dark Eye on Thursday. Hopefully Torg: Eternity won't be far behind.

https://twitter.com/darkeyerpg/status/727202034378625024

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How is the Dark Eye? Was there a Fatal and friends review of it?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

How do you feel about super crufty fantasy RPGs designed to appeal to hardcore grognards? Because your answer to that is basically how well you're going to like The Dark Eye.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If you like games with a long real-life history of popularity and development, but non-innovative rules, then it's pretty great.

I unironically enjoyed many of the computer games based on that system, as far back as Shadows over Riva, and most recently Blackguards 1 and 2.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

From my understanding it occupies roughly the same cultural role for Germans as D&D does for Americans.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wizard School has gone from being a darling among a certain subset of nerds to an infuriating exercise in "we gave you half a million dollars and you can't write one update a month?" The creators haven't responded in the comments since mid-December and the game is (was) supposed to ship next month. Apparently they are still playtesting...maybe? I don't know.

I'm not doubting that we'll see a game. It's just ridiculous. There's no excuse for "someone can't spend half an hour writing an update once or twice a month."

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It appears that the Darksouls guys are not going to have any adjustable difficulty metrics and are going with 'It's Darksouls ' when asked about it.

As the game has no failure states I am anticipating glorious monopoly length play sessions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm increasingly glad I didn't back it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It appears that the Darksouls guys are not going to have any adjustable difficulty metrics and are going with 'It's Darksouls ' when asked about it.

As the game has no failure states I am anticipating glorious monopoly length play sessions.
Does it at least have an ending point of some sort, or is it just "play through X rooms until you win or get sick of it"?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does it at least have an ending point of some sort, or is it just "play through X rooms until you win or get sick of it"?

It appears to be play though until you beat a mini boss then a full fat boss.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there any actual advantage to backing it over waiting for retail? Thinking maybe I should play it safer here...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

moths posted:

Is there any actual advantage to backing it over waiting for retail? Thinking maybe I should play it safer here...

It's going to cost a lot more retail. Right now its 80 pounds for everything and i think they said something like that just the current met stretch goals and the base set will retail for double that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pash posted:

It's going to cost a lot more retail. Right now its 80 pounds for everything and i think they said something like that just the current met stretch goals and the base set will retail for double that.

This is always the presenting incentive, but this also ignores the usually-deep discounts available on the retail price if the game becomes popular OR unpopular.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homullus posted:

This is always the presenting incentive, but this also ignores the usually-deep discounts available on the retail price if the game becomes popular OR unpopular.

Yeah there's a fairly good chance this game is going to end up being half price or less on the secondary market within a year of release. It does not sound like it will have staying power due to a general lack of replayability for each scenario.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

On the other hand, you might save more money Kickstarting it now, since I imagine all those stretch goal expansions will be separate in retail. Given how expensive the boss add ons are, it's not hard to imagine that you'll be paying a lot more later.

The game itself will likely be trash, but if you want it just for the minis, it might be advantageous to buy the Core and then get the add ons if/when it hits retail.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I thought Guild Ball was very well-received but their problem was distribution. Ie: everyone who played it loved it, but they only people in America who owned it were Kickstarter backers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

I thought Guild Ball was very well-received but their problem was distribution. Ie: everyone who played it loved it, but they only people in America who owned it were Kickstarter backers.
Stores seem to be getting teams in now (my local store started carrying it a few weeks ago), but the big problem right now is that it's pretty much impossible to get the playmats stateside.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stores seem to be getting teams in now (my local store started carrying it a few weeks ago), but the big problem right now is that it's pretty much impossible to get the playmats stateside.

My FLGS (Central Cal) has at least 2 store-use and 2 more on the shelf for sale. The owner also said he's got some cheaper, vinyl(?) ones coming in as well.

Despite this, I'm actually considering making my own pitch as a way to get into terrain making. Anyways, I can ask what distributor he's getting them from, if you'd like.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Actual US distributors don't have their mats because no one has their mats right now. They're in production atm

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah it's interesting. Guild ball is a good game, why are they making such an obviously terrible design decision. Especially given the rule(s) to fix it it seems obvious - expand the stamina/HP tracker, start the game with invaders shuffled into your deck or give people some free levels to start the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Minions of the Meadow, the first expansion for March of the Ants, has gone up, and already just about funded

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow the Dark Eye has nice art but even the characters in the quick start are complicated as gently caress. Don't need another fantasy RPG, luckily

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Ever wanted merit badges for gaming? Now you can with Gamer Badges!

I got a set of these at GenCon last year and they're cool. I'm a little unclear as to what their "sets" are going to be (beyond what I already got from GC), but the idea is kind of neat. I'm at least watching the KS to see if they announce what the other "sets" are.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Look, Everything, the RPG!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

This guy needs an editor.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

A Steam, Diesel & Cyber-Punk Fantasy role-playing game set in a Post-Apocalyptic Dystopia scarred by the war between magic & machinery.

Good lord

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Just a bunch of loving punks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

S.J. posted:

This guy needs an editor.

I don't know - he already has a very consistent style. For example, the word "and" can only be used at the beginning of a sentence or as part of "and/or" - otherwise, use an "&". That's important and thematic, because the & symbol is like how "machines" and "magic" are the same, but differently entertwined. "Machines" are powered by a mysterious machine power source that nobody understands, and is bound to the soul of the world. Unlike Magic, which is flowing through everyone - whether you're a "mortal" or a "thief" - to the great tree.

I don't know if there's actually a great tree in this setting... but, on second thought, yes I do. Otherwise, where would the Enchilanigmas get their Soul Aether and commune with T'Yomo who existed since the stars were born?

• Locked thread