Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Same, but my understanding was that the R-rated director's cut will be on the Blu-ray release in a couple months. If it's getting a theatrical release that must be a pretty new development.

CinemaBlend tracked the origin of the R-rated cinema release story to Umberto Gonzalez on the POPBOOM youtube channel but he didn't give any sources, he just says he heard a "hot rumour".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
This summer is supremely overcrowded with attempted tentpoles so unless they were close enough to a good round number (IIRC even the Star Wars re-releases didn't get more than a couple dozen million?) there's no point in doing a limited theatrical release.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is Transformers all over again

quote:

“Ours is an alien costume that grows on them, that’s not man-made," production designer Andrew Menzies told Entertainment Weekly. "You can’t win everyone over, but we are trying to appeal to a more mature audience and gain new fans.”

“The show was about kids coming of age, about metamorphosis,” Israelite continued. “These suits needed to feel like they were catalyzed by these kids and their energy, their spirit.”

EW describes the suits as "translucent armor that crystallizes around their bodies". Longtime Power Rangers fans may be reminded of the armored costumes featured in 1995's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/05/power-rangers-reboot-new-suits-first-look

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Didn't the suits always kinda materialize out of their belt buckle/morpher things anyway?They just look like Tony Stark built them their own Iron Man suits.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really don't mind it, I felt they could have done way worse with the helmets.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Reminds me more of Guyver than Iron Man.
Which is good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadpool bluray ad

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/728219096643469312

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I have negative things to say but let me clear the air right now

I'm glad they're vibrantly colored and I'm glad they look right. I'm fine with the general look. There are just three things I despise in armor designs and Oh Boy they ticked all three off. This does not mean I hate what is there but

So, first and foremost- heels and boob armor. Both are titanically stupid to include and look stupid here. Just, really really awful. So many reasons why they're bad. Heels can work on an armor design if the character is height conscious- I could see and laugh at RDJ putting heels on his Iron Man armor because he is a tiny man. Throwing them on the ladies just because they're women? gently caress you.

Giving them exaggerated boob armor that would look ridiculous in a comic book? Double gently caress you.

Finally, The Iron Man Chest Light. In this day and age, it is the laziest piece of poo poo you can just slap onto a design that's supposed to be a suit of armor because it instantly just makes you think of Iron Man. Whta's worse is that they could have done something creative with these- had little holo versions of the animals they're empowered by or something in the chest as a nod to the 95 movie. Which is the only reason they HAVE those stupid chest lights because only the original movie suits did anything with the center of the chest like that. Just anything other than generic chest lights.

The rest I'm holding my breath on until we see pictures of the actual suits and, preferably, see them in motion. Right now that looks like hot CGI garbage because it is, but the actual suits could make it work better.

I really hope there are physical suits anyways. It'd be really silly to just do the Power Ranger suits as CGI considering how stunt heavy their roles are. The Iron Man armor, sure, it's way more complex and mostly shoots lasers and stuff. The Rangers should be fighting hand to hand and I doubt this thing is going to have a big enough budget to not make that look silly.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
They should have swapped the gender of the pink ranger with another.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Mainly for the resulting tweets.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Danger posted:

They should have swapped the gender of the pink ranger with another.

Unironically yeah. That'd be fun. Pink looks rad as hell if you do it right.

Also https://external-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCoLw8RNX1Es-d0&w=289&h=394&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1DAZ5qe.png This might point to what the suits will look like in live action form. Which isn't promising.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a power rangers movie, there wasn't much promise to begin with.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Burkion posted:

Honestly speaking Thanos himself is just kind of lame, but he has set up some brilliant MOMENTS in comics.

He's just the biggest notable villain Marvel can actually use. Doctor Doom and Galactus are both way better villains than he is, but he's what they got.

His personality is "What if Darkseid had none of his dignity and was also an edgy 15 year old boy who didn't know how to take No for an answer" only he's also a creators pet so he inexplicably is the most powerful most awesome most vital character ever who always succeeds at what he wants unless he doesn't actually WANT to secretly and that's how he loses.

That's what I like about him actually. He's such a needy, emotionally damaged character that at the time has the most hosed up high concept evil dude motivation (everyone must die) with the most human failing that fucks him up everytime (I'm not worthy). Its great drama. I'd recommend the recent series of his, following him as a kid.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

These suits are really ugly.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is Transformers all over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km4f-eRE4Kc

Maybe they're just a bobsled team now?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burkion posted:

Unironically yeah. That'd be fun. Pink looks rad as hell if you do it right.

Also https://external-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCoLw8RNX1Es-d0&w=289&h=394&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1DAZ5qe.png This might point to what the suits will look like in live action form. Which isn't promising.

I've never really cared one way or another abotu Power Rangers, but you and I both know there's going to be so much post-processing digital work done that that real world photo will look like a drawing from your five year old you hang on the fridge.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I really think based on these that they're going the route that Rita is a former green ranger. There's a lot of similar design elements between these and her costume.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

quote:

EW describes the suits as "translucent armor that crystallizes around their bodies".

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/05/power-rangers-reboot-new-suits-first-look

Hmmmmm, what does that remind me of, what does that remind me of ....

Oh yeah:

:haw:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

I really think based on these that they're going the route that Rita is a former green ranger. There's a lot of similar design elements between these and her costume.

"Hi guys, I'm evil now, but I really liked my old costume."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Those look loving boss.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Those suits are hilariously bad. Picturing them doing their karate poses in them...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I really like those new costumes. Can't wait to see them in motion (and MEGAZORD!).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Edit: Didn't see it already mentioned above. :(

So, according to the Reddit thread, apparently these suits are helping to confirm a current rumor that in this version, Rita is the former Green Ranger gone bad and her suit is the remnant of the green suit. They re-colored one of the suits and it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/1DAZ5qe.png.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 5, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They remind me of the suits from Tiger and Bunny except uglier and not sponsored.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Crows Turn Off posted:

Edit: Didn't see it already mentioned above. :(

So, according to the Reddit thread, apparently these suits are helping to confirm a current rumor that in this version, Rita is the former Green Ranger gone bad and her suit is the remnant of the green suit. They re-colored one of the suits and it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/1DAZ5qe.png.

.........uuuuuuuggghhhhhhhh I hope not

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
First look at Clive Owen in Valerian:

Luc Besson posted:

DAY 74
Commander Clive Owen.
The boss is in the house!🚀

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Valerian is not coming out soon enough.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It looks pretty different from the books though.

The Superintendent of the Space-Time Services only shows up a handful of times in the comics, and here's how he looked in one of his last appearances in Spectres of Inverloch (he's the Lobot-looking dude with sunglasses).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

MonsieurChoc posted:

It looks pretty different from the books though.

The Superintendent of the Space-Time Services only shows up a handful of times in the comics, and here's how he looked in one of his last appearances in Spectres of Inverloch (he's the Lobot-looking dude with sunglasses).

He's apparently Commander Arün Filitt :shrug:

Here's the image that accompanied Besson's announcement of the casting:

https://twitter.com/lucbesson/status/634119508437790720

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 5, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Whizbang posted:

They remind me of the suits from Tiger and Bunny except uglier and not sponsored.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaeNelsAOGo

??

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alehkhs posted:

He's apparently Commander Arün Filitt :shrug:

Here's the image that accompanied Besson's announcement of the casting:

https://twitter.com/lucbesson/status/634119508437790720

That's the Ambassador from Ambassador of Shadows.

Which is a book where Valerian gets kidnapped (along with the Ambassador) and Laureline is the hero of the story. Which describes like half the books, come to think of it (Laurleine owns).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's the Ambassador from Ambassador of Shadows.

Which is a book where Valerian gets kidnapped (along with the Ambassador) and Laureline is the hero of the story. Which describes like half the books, come to think of it (Laurleine owns).

Yeah. I've posted s few shots of various "delegation" parties in this thread as well... so there's that. Valerian's likely gonna be a mash of a couple albums at most though, if not an entirely new story. I was just noting that Clive Owen wasn't supposed to be the Superintendent, as far as I'm aware. :shobon:

Really though, this has been my most anticipated film since before it was officially confirmed - hoping for good things, and the images I've seen thus far are encouraging, when it comes to that Fifth Element Besson flair.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 5, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I caught BvS again before it's gone completely from Cinemas and its still ok, but Wonder Woman just upping and leaving for most of the Century is such a weird creative choice that seems oddly limiting. Like, at least Captain America gets frozen for 70 years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrVenkman posted:

I caught BvS again before it's gone completely from Cinemas and its still ok, but Wonder Woman just upping and leaving for most of the Century is such a weird creative choice that seems oddly limiting. Like, at least Captain America gets frozen for 70 years.

One the one hand I'll be interested to watch the WW standalone film and find out what would freak out a battlehardened warrior who was trained for combat from birth to the point where she'd withdraw from the world for an entire century, on the other hand I suspect the actual reason won't be all that convincing so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DrVenkman posted:

WW1 is industrial capitalism eating itself. Literal millions of men dying for nothing. If you were going to bail on the modern world, WW1 would be a pretty good catalyst.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I do kind of hope it's the treaty negotiations at the end of the war that makes her throw her hands up because she can see that it will lead to more war.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I gotta say, despite a few misgivings I have about these suits (Burkion is totally right about how dumb the heels/boob armor are), they look really alien, which is a good fit for them, I think. All of the classic suits are spandex, which means that the ability to make them look weird is limited because as far as the fit goes, pretty much each looks like the next (obviously the designs are really different though). These don't have that limitation, so they can actually get some texture to them, which is a great change. Whoever pointed out that they look Guyver-esque is totally right, and I dig it. Bonus points for leaving the weird grey mouth area, because that almost makes the suits look like some sort of being themselves, like a weirdass version of Star Kid.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Seems now the Rangers are the Putties....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I did laugh at the start of the Winter Soldier when Captain America jumped out of the plane into the ocean with no parachute. I wonder how often he wished he remembered that skill back in 1945 when it could have come in pretty handy.

• Locked thread