Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

jmzero posted:

I don't know - he already has a very consistent style. For example, the word "and" can only be used at the beginning of a sentence or as part of "and/or" - otherwise, use an "&". That's important and thematic, because the & symbol is like how "machines" and "magic" are the same, but differently entertwined. "Machines" are powered by a mysterious machine power source that nobody understands, and is bound to the soul of the world. Unlike Magic, which is flowing through everyone - whether you're a "mortal" or a "thief" - to the great tree.

I don't know if there's actually a great tree in this setting... but, on second thought, yes I do. Otherwise, where would the Enchilanigmas get their Soul Aether and commune with T'Yomo who existed since the stars were born?

don't stop, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

jmzero posted:

I don't know - he already has a very consistent style. For example, the word "and" can only be used at the beginning of a sentence or as part of "and/or" - otherwise, use an "&". That's important and thematic, because the & symbol is like how "machines" and "magic" are the same, but differently entertwined. "Machines" are powered by a mysterious machine power source that nobody understands, and is bound to the soul of the world. Unlike Magic, which is flowing through everyone - whether you're a "mortal" or a "thief" - to the great tree.

I don't know if there's actually a great tree in this setting... but, on second thought, yes I do. Otherwise, where would the Enchilanigmas get their Soul Aether and commune with T'Yomo who existed since the stars were born?
Are you having a stroke? Do we need to call someone? :ohdear:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the other hand, I really like the work of the illustrator. She's going on the shortlist for the next time I finish something.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Just a bunch of loving punks.

There should totally be an RPG named A Bunch of loving Punks.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A cyber-dungeon-bio-jade-steam-diesel-stone-nano-clock-punk post-apocalyptic-sci-fi-fantasy zombie adventure.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I guess Ether RPG - Where Worlds Collide is more dramatic, but Ether RPG - Where Worlds Gently Rub Up Against Each Other would be a lot more accurate.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

NTRabbit posted:

Minions of the Meadow, the first expansion for March of the Ants, has gone up, and already just about funded

Was march of the ants any good? I hesitated backing it when it first was available.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Amethyst setting is another one that does the "magic vs. technology and never the twain shall meet", and it wasn't very good. It didn't help that it was made for 4e and Fate Core with a rather poor understanding of how the systems worked.

Why do magic and science always gotta be fighting? :(

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Are we sure that it isn't another jokestarter?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Amethyst setting is another one that does the "magic vs. technology and never the twain shall meet", and it wasn't very good. It didn't help that it was made for 4e and Fate Core with a rather poor understanding of how the systems worked.

Why do magic and science always gotta be fighting? :(

When Pathfinder finds a trope apparently too cliche to deal with and has an adventure path filled with magical laser pistols and +1 chainsaws, you know it's a thing that's outlived its time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

potatocubed posted:

On the other hand, I really like the work of the illustrator. She's going on the shortlist for the next time I finish something.
Wow, yes, I just checked it out, and she's fantastic.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

jmzero posted:

Enchilanigma

When you're at the Mexican place wondering what exactly is hiding under all that cheese.

Not to be confused with guacamystery.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, yes, I just checked it out, and she's fantastic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was impressed by the art for the second before the crazy soaked in.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Demon_Corsair posted:

Was march of the ants any good? I hesitated backing it when it first was available.

Cross-post from the Board Game thread:

Mister Sinewave posted:

March of the Ants is solid (except for the :effort: "co-op mode") and plays like a compressed Eclipse in 45 minutes. Buuuuuuut it requires you to be playing with Gamers who will actively be playing the entire time. This is because when someone takes an action there are free "reaction" actions all other players can take, in turn order, in reaction. Some of you might be feeling the hairs on the back of your neck raising.

When everyone actively plays, it's great and plays fast. By "actively play" I mean you announce what action you're taking and that your turn is over, the players downstream of you listen and take their allowed reactions immediately in turn order (or declare a pass instead of a reaction), and once that's done the next person goes, etc. Basically this for the whole game.

If not, then it's ugggngnghgghhhhh because every goddamn turn is

"Uh, so you moved? Are you, uh, done or are you still thinking?"
"oh yeah, I moved some pieces and could move more if I wished and am silently just sitting here staring at the board but yeah of course I'm done and will agree to let people know in the future but for some perverse reason will continue not to"
"OK, great."
"..."
"... Jim? Are you taking a reaction, or are you passing?"
[??]
"No, Jim, it's not your turn, Sarah moved so you get to move a single step as a reaction if you want. Are you?"
(Sure, think about it all you like, we totally sprung this on you with no warning after all. No rush!)
"pass"
"..."
"John! Reaction for Sarah moving. Take a step or pass."
and so on until you slit your loving wrists in the bathroom so you at least make a mess on the floor.

March of the Ants has sat on my shelf ever since I bought it. Played it a few times, don't have the energy to introduce it to yet another group.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was impressed by the art for the second before the crazy soaked in.

Yeah, that's a nice punk. I mean punk cover. I mean the cover it is nice.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Chiming in as someone who backed the first Kickstarter: every time I've put March of the Ants on the table it has gone down a treat, and has repeatedly been called on by the same group for another go around. I think it's a really good game, but it is a step up in terms of attention required from the players. If everyone knows what they're getting into from the start, though, I've never had any problems/frustration!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Jimbozig posted:

When you're at the Mexican place wondering what exactly is hiding under all that cheese.

Not to be confused with guacamystery.

I thought we finished our mexican food derail, but this is making me hungry

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I thought we finished our mexican food derail, but this is making me hungry

Think I'll hit a food truck tomorrow - I need my fix.

Back on track: "Warriors... Come out and pla-ay!"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't know how someone watches a movie about disenfranchised kids running from gang violence to find a better life and thinks "hey, we should make a game about these guys killing each other!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zurui posted:

I don't know how someone watches a movie about disenfranchised kids running from gang violence to find a better life and thinks "hey, we should make a game about these guys killing each other!"

It is probably related to how someone can call the project "Ghetto Miniatures" and use a skull with an afro as the logo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think it's really unreasonable, you had a bunch of visually interesting gang combatants in a fictionalized, stylized city.

Gangs of New York had its roots in the same message, but I still think that it would be a great setting for a miniatures game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fragged Empires: Protagonist Archive is in its last 24 hours and is a really good game. It's a tactical sci-fi RPG about a galaxy inhabited by genetically engineered species created by two now-gone warring progenitor races. It calls itself a "post-post apocalyptic game" because it's about these races choosing to work together and rebuild instead of continuting their creators' old war. It's got a pretty sandbox-y Firefly/GotG feel too it with a side of "these races are developing their cultures as they go along", and the mechanics are simple and well-presented. I've said elsewhere that FE is probably the clearest RPG I've ever read, because at the start of sections they cross-reference the major points that the section touches on ("This part is about X. The related rules are A (page 123), B (page 456), and C (page 789)"), and there's a lot of one-page rule summaries throughout the book.

The various species are interesting too; there's a few designed-as-warrior races, but there's also races like the Corporation (yes, that's their name) who were the progenitor's least-favorite species. Then when the progenitors were wiped out, the race that would become the Corporation found the abandoned infrastructures of the progenitors, learned how they worked, and modeled their culture after corporate practices. Or the big Doomsday-looking bioweapon race that realizes that if they want to be part of the larger culture, they can't go around looking like giant spiky monsters, so they've begun engineering a sub-race that is engineered to be appealing to the more "human-looking" races. Or the "race" of intelligent robots that are actually the minds of long-extinct humans twisted and jammed into warbots to fight that old war and now coming back into themselves to learn it's millenea later and everyone forgot humans existed.

There's a free quickstart if you want to check it out, and $45 US to the kickstarter gets you the core, the two expansions, two adventures, a reference book, and all the stretch goals in PDF format.

Also, I know we like to support non-terrible publishers around here, and Design Ministries has really good customer support. He mentioned on RPGNet that there was an errata file available, but it was only part of the DriveThru version. I asked if the errata was available elsewhere for those of us who just have the hardcopies, and he told me to send him a pic of my books and he sent me DriveThru links for the digital versions. A nice one-two punch of good customer service and a solid game. For what it's worth, it's got the Evil Mastermind seal of approval.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ether RPG - Where Worlds Gently Rub Up Against Each Other would be a lot more accurate.

Be careful with those you don't want them to explode, do you?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

moths posted:

I don't think it's really unreasonable, you had a bunch of visually interesting gang combatants in a fictionalized, stylized city.

Gangs of New York had its roots in the same message, but I still think that it would be a great setting for a miniatures game.

I wouldn't call this offensive per se, but it does look tacky at least.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

It is probably related to how someone can call the project "Ghetto Miniatures" and use a skull with an afro as the logo.

Your project creator, ladies and gents:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Honestly it's a matter of everyone's own comfort level as to where they draw their line. I personally feel like ultra-modern wargames (Iraq/Afghanistan) goes way too far, but I get that lots of other people are ok with the idea.

That said, calling your company "Ghetto Miniatures" is really loving tasteless in 2016.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

So? You're pointing out that he's white?

moths posted:

That said, calling your company "Ghetto Miniatures" is really loving tasteless in 2016.

He's funding a game about outrageous gangs in a fictional 70's NY slum., so I'd say it's pretty appropriate, if lowbrow. It's sure going to be limiting for future projects though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

He's funding a game about outrageous gangs in a fictional 70's NY slum., so I'd say it's pretty appropriate, if lowbrow. It's sure going to be limiting for future projects though.

Slum and ghetto are not synonyms. Ghetto was a poor choice of adjectives even before he went with skull w/afro, but definitely a bad choice after.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Be careful with those you don't want them to explode, do you?

... of course not.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If you like scifi and post apocalypse, go check out the Fragged Empire kickstarter mentioned above and the free excerpts on their website.

The setting is really quite interesting.

Zurui posted:

Necromunda is (was) a game about gangers killing each other.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

homullus posted:

Slum and ghetto are not synonyms. Ghetto was a poor choice of adjectives even before he went with skull w/afro, but definitely a bad choice after.

Yeah, I meant to say slum environment, but I get where you're coming from. If he was making something like the Thugz miniatures with that name, then yeah, I'd certainly say he had gone too far. A 70' gangsploitation game doesn't get me riled up though. Like you said though, there are various levels of acceptability between people for things.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Necromunda is (was) a game about gangers killing each other.
It wasn't a movie first, so that's ok.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you like scifi and post apocalypse, go check out the Fragged Empire kickstarter mentioned above and the free excerpts on their website.

The setting is really quite interesting.
One of my favorite things is how the Nephilim were engineered as a warrior race, then when their creator won the war and abandoned them, the biomind in charge basically went "oh so you make us for war and then abandon us, well then we're gonna go make friends with everyone because gently caress YOU DAD".

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of my favorite things is how the Nephilim were engineered as a warrior race, then when their creator won the war and abandoned them, the biomind in charge basically went "oh so you make us for war and then abandon us, well then we're gonna go make friends with everyone because gently caress YOU DAD".

Yeah the core focus of the races/faction are pretty unique. One focuses on "family", another on "capitalism" (no seriously), another on "survival" which is backed up by every member of the race having really traumatic racial memories.

Still reading through the core free sample. Have you read the mechanics for Starships and such? These guys seem pretty creative.

And I love that "social" is NOT a main attribute (ie Charisma is not a stat). They handle social conflicts differently.

Edit: I get a shadowrunner vibe just a little from the CORP faction and some of the adventure hooks too. Which is a good thing.

Edit2: Here is an excerpt from the Core book sample that I quite liked. Mechanical options for running different types of games in Fragged Empire. I do like the willingness to create permutations on their basic theme.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 6, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah the core focus of the races/faction are pretty unique. One focuses on "family", another on "capitalism" (no seriously), another on "survival" which is backed up by every member of the race having really traumatic racial memories.
I just really like how these races were all involved in this giant space war to one degree or another, but none of them have any interest in continuing the war. Even the two races specifically made to fight each other in said war. It's hopeful sci-fi! :unsmith:

quote:

Still reading through the core free sample. Have you read the mechanics for Starships and such? These guys seem pretty creative.
Not really; I've skimmed them though and I like how it can scale in to small-ship combat out to capital-ship combat where a planet is just one square on the map.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainRightful posted:

He could be jewish.
....OH! Wrong one, sorry.

Serf
May 5, 2011

White dude names his company Ghetto Miniatures, the logo is a skull with an afro "hmm yes this seems fine."

Also when is Walter Hill suing this dude

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

He's from the UK so I'm vaguely surprised there's not a chav gang.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its called New York Bop and yet the Boppers gang wasn't included. :v: Also no Electric Eliminators? Boo.

Also, who are the Satan's Skins supposed to be? The Rogues? The Satan's Mothers? They look very little like the former and if they're meat to be the later, they weren't really a gang that stood out visually IMO. And neither were skinheads, IIRC.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Black Cobras look to be based on Sho'nuff and his gang from Last Dragon. So it's not exactly a 1:1 Warriors thing.

For me the fun of something like this is more in coming up with your own characters and theme. There are fun opportunities to get creative; Model a gang that dresses likes punk rock colonial AWI troops, or a gang of sharp-dressed satanic bellhops. The Hellhops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Or a gang of urban artisan mexican food pioneers rolling out of a food truck.

:ohdear: oh wait

• Locked thread