Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My first reaction to the suits was positive but the more I look at the geometry the less I like. It's not clear cut at the flex point body plates and it's not alien bug carapace. It's a compromise of both but makes no sense, they got all these points for no reason like someone used that NO FEAR tacky styling from the 90s as a visual guide for the lines. That area where the shoulder/armpit meets the chest plate is embarrassing. Something tells me they aren't being that on-the-nose about this though. The generic chest power source is stupid as well, I hope they plan to CG some hologram animals in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the chest light is the worst thing to me because it's so lazy and can be fixed so easily

Just move the morpher up to the chest. There. You're done. Make 'em bigger when they transform I guess but just do that.

There is no belt on these suits so doing that both fixes the lazy chest light and makes it so they don't have glowing crotches.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One the one hand I'll be interested to watch the WW standalone film and find out what would freak out a battlehardened warrior who was trained for combat from birth to the point where she'd withdraw from the world for an entire century, on the other hand I suspect the actual reason won't be all that convincing so I'm not getting my hopes up.

My guess is that the half hour of her movie will have montages of Wonder Woman charging into battle to her kick-rear end theme but everybody around her, friend or foe, dies from mustard gas before she even gets halfway across the battlefield.

Also, those thingies on the feet of Pink Ranger look like lifts to me. Those are OK, even RDJ wears them because he is tiny.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Grendels Dad posted:

My guess is that the half hour of her movie will have montages of Wonder Woman charging into battle to her kick-rear end theme but everybody around her, friend or foe, dies from mustard gas before she even gets halfway across the battlefield.

If I remember correctly, that Wonder Woman preview on CW showed her walking through what appeared to be mustard gas. Basically the Wonder Woman movie is gonna own :hist101:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I could see her whole sales pitch being that she was raised to be a warrior and fight honourably, show her walking among like a million dead romans or whatever with shots mustard gas, concentration camps, ICBM launches, and drone strikes. Deciding to abandon man when they lost their will to fight admirably, in her eyes she just doesn't see modern warfare as something she can support or assist. She's all about cavalry charges and being a warrior, not pressing a button half a world away. gently caress that poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah. I've posted s few shots of various "delegation" parties in this thread as well... so there's that. Valerian's likely gonna be a mash of a couple albums at most though, if not an entirely new story. I was just noting that Clive Owen wasn't supposed to be the Superintendent, as far as I'm aware. :shobon:

Really though, this has been my most anticipated film since before it was officially confirmed - hoping for good things, and the images I've seen thus far are encouraging, when it comes to that Fifth Element Besson flair.

Yeah, the title itself is a weird mash-up of City of Moving Waters and Empire of a Thousand Planets, either of which would have made good movies (imagine flooded New York, maybe with a John Carpenter-style soundtrack), but the pictures seem like they're referencing Ambassador of Shadows. Laureline probably won't be from the 11th century anymore. Anyway, I'm going let the movie be it's thing instead of a straigth adaptation of the comics, I'm just geeking out because these were part of my childhood.

Also Luc still hasn't shown the Shingouz and they're my favorite. :argh:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

I could see her whole sales pitch being that she was raised to be a warrior and fight honourably, show her walking among like a million dead romans or whatever with shots mustard gas, concentration camps, ICBM launches, and drone strikes. Deciding to abandon man when they lost their will to fight admirably, in her eyes she just doesn't see modern warfare as something she can support or assist. She's all about cavalry charges and being a warrior, not pressing a button half a world away. gently caress that poo poo.

Problem is that war has sucked since forever and deciding during WWI that that is where she draws the line makes her seem kinda awful. Any instances of her history would have to be like 300 played straight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Problem is that war has sucked since forever and deciding during WWI that that is where she draws the line makes her seem kinda awful. Any instances of her history would have to be like 300 played straight.

WWI was kind of worse than almost any war before it though.

And she may not have been around for those- if they go by her origins, she gets involved in the world of men because of Steve Trevor.

Steve likely dies as well because WWI was a *lovely* war.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grendels Dad posted:

You seem to think shes thousands of years old or something

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There were other wars as bad as WWI before. None of them were global like WWI was.

A good argument could be made that WWI was more global than WWII.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Isn't she? I thought they were offshoots/children of the olympian gods or whatever?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's the added element of completely bone headed decisions made by old school chivalrous generals who weren't willing to accept the new mechanized way of war, hence charges on machine gun nests that resulted in who knows how many senseless deaths. I could see Diana looking at that and being disgusted.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Got me, I do. I kinda assumed it from the "she is over 100 years old" thing from the last movie she appeared in. I have very little knowledge of her in the comics but this talk about how that last war broke her when she apparently took part in many, many wars bothers me a little.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There were other wars as bad as WWI before. None of them were global like WWI was.

A good argument could be made that WWI was more global than WWII.

Well, Wonder Woman wouldn't have data on the global-ness of any war she was participating in immediately available, would she? She'd be knee-deep in the guts and burned-down villages and whatnot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

Not to take away from the atrocities of war up until that point, but WWI was, like, really loving bad. I like the way Dan Carlin described it, where you can have debates about who would win between Alexander the Great or Napoleon. Or Ghengis Khan or Hannibal. And while there were obviously advancements in warfare between the two, they were mostly incremental, and military strategy could, in theory, overcome them. Or not. But a debate could be had.

But that all changed in WWI, where the instruments of war took a massive leap forward, to a horrifying degree. The death tolls in some battles rivaled most wars up until that point. The sheer amount of death that could be dealt out had never been seen before. There were over 700,000 casualties in the Battle of Verdun alone. About 68,000 casualties in the first day of the Battle of the Somme. The first day. Couple that with the generals at the time not knowing how to deal with that kind of warfare. I mean, how could they? No one had seen this before on this kind of scale. But that lead to horrible decisions, which made things worse.

It was the dawn of modern warfare. And it was horrifying.

edit: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast did a massive WWI retrospective called Blueprint for Armageddon. I recommend it to anyone.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 5, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's also the Armenian Genocide.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And then, at the end, it was all for nothing because idiots and selfish bastards wanted to punish instead of bring peace, and they paved the way for worse and worse wars to come.

A senseless waste of human life on a scale never before seen and it ends with the promise of more death and horror.

Add that to the traditional Wonder Woman story, that she was ignorant of the world of man before hand outside of tales and legends, and this was her first true exposure- not going to leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

Add that to the traditional Wonder Woman story, that she was ignorant of the world of man before hand outside of tales and legends, and this was her first true exposure- not going to leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.

I think this was what was missing for me, my impression was that she was an ancient warrior battle-hardened in many historical wars. If WWI was her first exposure to the world of men and menly warfare then hoo boy, I can buy her leaving again so fast. I'd have difficulties accepting why she'd even come back, the video Ben Affleck sent her wasn't even that funny.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

I think this was what was missing for me, my impression was that she was an ancient warrior battle-hardened in many historical wars. If WWI was her first exposure to the world of men and menly warfare then hoo boy, I can buy her leaving again so fast. I'd have difficulties accepting why she'd even come back, the video Ben Affleck sent her wasn't even that funny.

Yeah that's how it tended to be. Usually it was WWII that got her involved- Steve Trevor winds up on the island and she wants to go back to America with him to fight the Nazis.

They COULD change it, but to my knowledge no origin story for Wonder Woman has. She's a skilled warrior but that's because she's the best fighter on an island of warriors, and has been told stories of heroic deeds and honorable combat since she was a child.

I think BvS states she only came back to the World of Men because she wanted to remove all traces of her being there, and get her picture back. But I could be mistaken.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Chairman Capone posted:

I did laugh at the start of the Winter Soldier when Captain America jumped out of the plane into the ocean with no parachute. I wonder how often he wished he remembered that skill back in 1945 when it could have come in pretty handy.

The ending never made a lot of sense because he could have at least tried a gentle landing on the water and then swim out.

But I'm unclear if his superpower gives him immunity from drowning so it might have worked out for the best for him anyway.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

Yeah that's how it tended to be. Usually it was WWII that got her involved- Steve Trevor winds up on the island and she wants to go back to America with him to fight the Nazis.

They COULD change it, but to my knowledge no origin story for Wonder Woman has. She's a skilled warrior but that's because she's the best fighter on an island of warriors, and has been told stories of heroic deeds and honorable combat since she was a child.

I think BvS states she only came back to the World of Men because she wanted to remove all traces of her being there, and get her picture back. But I could be mistaken.

That seems to work fine, then. I was working on the assumption that she had prior experience with humans.

Her origin would be just like regular 300 then :v:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

And she may not have been around for those- if they go by her origins, she gets involved in the world of men because of Steve Trevor.

Yeah she likely grows up being taught the honorable ways of the warrior or whatever but typically in WW's origin she is stuck on paradise island and largely kept on a tight leash by her mother until she does the whole "disguises herself to become champion of a tournament" after which point she is sent out into man's world as an ambassador.

You could argue that even an old school "cavalry and sword fighting" war would have still turned her stomach because of all the actual death plus dishonorable poo poo like raping and pillaging and killing children that would go on once armies got to be a certain unmanageable size. But being the first hosed up "modern" war it would likely be an even bigger culture shock.

And popping her head out every few decades to go "oh hey what's going on now? worldwide depression? the holocaust? a nuclear stand off? okay yeah I think I'll stick with Paradise Island"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bring back old gbs posted:

I scrolled through the thread too quickly and thought this was referring to Rita Repulsa.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hiddenriverninja posted:

I scrolled through the thread too quickly and thought this was referring to Rita Repulsa.

Now I want WW1 to be about STOPPING Wonder Woman and locking her back in Amazonia. Zod's World Engine broke the seal and now After 10 thousand weeks she's free! TIME TO CONQUER EARTH!

Meanwhile Lex designs his folder icons with attitude...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adam McKay will be directing an adaptation of Mark Waid's Superman-gone-crazy comic Irredemable.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The MSJ posted:

Adam McKay will be directing an adaptation of Mark Waid's Superman-gone-crazy comic Irredemable.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/

They already made that, it's called Man of Steel. :smug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Irredeemable starts out good but absolutely goes to poo poo over the course of the series. Keep your expectations low.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I trust Adam McKay.

As far as Wonder Woman goes, I think it's pretty interesting that everyone had such a wildly different interpretation of who Wonder Woman was. It didn't occur to me how much I was influenced by reading previous stories. Anyways the way these types of stories work usually is that in the picture Batman saw of her, she was probably her 'actual' age... young enough to be naive about the world. I would guess between 18-21. Then either something's gonna happen with magic or perhaps just normal Amazon physiology that causes her to look young forever.

Everything else though is completely up in the air now that I think about it. Wonder Woman already has a pretty huge variety of very different origin stories. Sometimes she's made out of clay, sometimes she's the child of Hippolyta (the name of Wonder Woman's mother) and Ares, the god of War. For a while, Diana was the second Wonder Woman, with her mom Hippolyta being the original back in World War 2 times.

The thing is we're dealing with Zack Snyder. Who know's what the gently caress he'll do? It could very well be none of these.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I figured Wonder Woman had been around since the time of the ancient Greeks, at least, when there were Hydras and Minotaurs and things roaming the Earth. She specifically said "I've killed monsters from another world before." Unless DCCU Earth was visited by the Martian tripods from War of the Worlds in the WWI era, she has to be older than a hundred to have done that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Network Pesci posted:

Unless DCCU Earth was visited by the Martian tripods from War of the Worlds in the WWI era, she has to be older than a hundred to have done that.

My money is on early parademon scouting party to set up Justice League even more. gently caress for all we know she's gonna end up time traveling somehow.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Go go Guyver Rangers!

This is already turning out more marvelous than even Power/Rangers could have predicted!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everything else though is completely up in the air now that I think about it. Wonder Woman already has a pretty huge variety of very different origin stories. Sometimes she's made out of clay, sometimes she's the child of Hippolyta (the name of Wonder Woman's mother) and Ares, the god of War. For a while, Diana was the second Wonder Woman, with her mom Hippolyta being the original back in World War 2 times.

The thing is we're dealing with Zack Snyder. Who know's what the gently caress he'll do? It could very well be none of these.

DC suits have said that movie-verse WW is the daughter of Zeus and a genuine demigoddess per the New 52 origin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, right? Ares - actual god of war - is legit in the movie. It'll be pretty dope, I hope. I've not read Nu52 comics, but I remember there was a really good run of hers before that whole thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cardboard Box A posted:

Go go Guyver Rangers!

This is already turning out more marvelous than even Power/Rangers could have predicted!

If anything, I want to see the trailer already

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I liked WW rolling her eyes when Lex mention Zeus in his speech.

Drifter posted:

Yeah, right? Ares - actual god of war - is legit in the movie. It'll be pretty dope, I hope. I've not read Nu52 comics, but I remember there was a really good run of hers before that whole thing.

I think some versions of the character is actually Ares' daughter too. In the Justice League cartoon, I think he helped build her.

In the New 52, WW straight up replaced Ares as god of war.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Burkion posted:

The Civil War was horrific. Far worse than WWI.

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

Judakel posted:

Yes, the Russian Civil War was horrible, but WWI had a death toll that made it look small.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maybe Dracula will be helping the Kaiser like in The Bloody Red Baron.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Judakel posted:

Huh what? Did you mistype? Saying casualties of WWI dwarf those of the Civil War is an understatement. More people died in just the Battle of Somme than almost all of the US Civil War.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also mustard gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The main reason the American civil war didn't have as high of a casualty rate is just the smaller number of people involved, tbh, the civil war had all of the horror of WWI with much more primitive medical technology and logistics, as well as generals who were even less versed in the nature of modern warfare.

• Locked thread