Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Empress Theonora posted:

Also: is there any way to get more permanent admiralty ships beyond just whatever ships we leveled up in? Using admiralty to try to make up for the dumb xp gap in later levels would be easier if I didn't have half my fleet in maintenance constantly.

Basically you gotta get more ships. Each ship you buy comes with a corresponding admiralty card. You also get an admiralty reward for hitting level 10 in a campaign. They also sometimes release them as an event or mission reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
This is the ship IQ Fleet though was going to be a T6 Vesta.
It has the same role "Multi-Mission Science Vessel" it is probably why they thought that.

Venom
Jun 29, 2002
I live for soccer & ER.

Asimo posted:

Well, the ships are listed as "usable by TOS and Federation characters" so presumably existing Feds can use them too.

But yeah, I think Cryptic is vastly overestimating how many people want to keep playing alts these days. Roll a character to drag them through a leveling story arc once sure, but past that...

Rolling alts wouldn't be so bad if Doffs and rep were account wide unlocks instead of being character bound. Hell, I might as well dream for lobi store items getting made account wide as well while I'm at it :(

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tuskin38 posted:

It has the same role "Multi-Mission Science Vessel" it is probably why they thought that.

Well now I'm sad there isn't a T6 Vesta. One ship I'd be willing to actually get.

Vesta is Besta!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

Well now I'm sad there isn't a T6 Vesta. One ship I'd be willing to actually get.

Vesta is Besta!

Rumor has it licensing issues killed it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tuskin38 posted:

It's still a 3/3 science vessel with a hanger bay. I wouldn't be surprised if it could mount the Vesta consoles.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

Also: is there any way to get more permanent admiralty ships beyond just whatever ships we leveled up in? Using admiralty to try to make up for the dumb xp gap in later levels would be easier if I didn't have half my fleet in maintenance constantly.

You can buy mirror universe ships off the exchange, boring base ships for dil, or ships from the z-store, ignore the actual ship and just use its card.

It's a transparent 'pay for progress' dealie.

You also get a ship card for maxing out each campaign.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

It's still a 3/3 science vessel with a hanger bay. I wouldn't be surprised if it could mount the Vesta consoles.

It doesn't have a hanger, IQ was wrong.

some screens from twitter

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/728299068884062208
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/728302630020075521
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/728304543000186881
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/728332089708273664

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Oh nooooooooo

E: screens look good though

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tuskin38 posted:

Salami_Inferno on Twitter: "If you own a TOS ship and its T6 equivalent, you can put the TOS costume on your T6 ship!"

Well poo poo, I guess I'm getting that T6 ballship. Time to start upgrading some screechbeams.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tunicate posted:

You can buy mirror universe ships off the exchange, boring base ships for dil, or ships from the z-store, ignore the actual ship and just use its card.

It's a transparent 'pay for progress' dealie.

You also get a ship card for maxing out each campaign.

Oh, I have some dil to burn so I might get a few ships from the store.

Edit: Anyway, I'm like legitimately excited for this expansion? Time travel missions are always cool and I love the TOS aesthetic. Assuming I manage to limp to level 60 somehow.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Edit: Anyway, I'm like legitimately excited for this expansion? Time travel missions are always cool and I love the TOS aesthetic. Assuming I manage to limp to level 60 somehow.

I bet the TOS specific stories end at 45-50 like the Romulan faction.

So you probably would have no need to go to 60.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Empress Theonora posted:

Just buy some mirror ships off the exchange and save your dil (you're gonna need it).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah I'm excited too. The game's been on a long upwards swing since the low of Delta Rising and this seems like a good step.

Also worth noting Trendy's point from Twitter - this is the first announcement in a long campaign. The predditors are incredibly butt hurt.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Same as DR and LOR, they didn't reveal everything at once.

I wonder when tribble testing will start.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Venom posted:

Rolling alts wouldn't be so bad if Doffs and rep were account wide unlocks instead of being character bound. Hell, I might as well dream for lobi store items getting made account wide as well while I'm at it :(
It's a lot more than that - rep isn't even that bad, it's merely time-gated. But fully kitting out an alt now means getting super-expensive, super-rare doffs from the exchange. And getting a bunch of lockbox/lobi/c-store ships just for the trait. And lockbox space traits. And grinding up crafting for those traits. And plasmonic leech if you're a fed. Plus hundreds of thousands of dil to get all your equipment up to mk XIV after you finally get it all. Oh, and don't forget to grind fleet credits the whole time, to buy all the fleet equipment you'll need.

Basically, STO desperately needs a legacy system like in the old republic. They could charge dil for it and get a dil sink that people might actually like.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tuskin38 posted:

I bet the TOS specific stories end at 45-50 like the Romulan faction.

So you probably would have no need to go to 60.

Oh, I meant limp to 60 on my current character so I can play later missions, since I'm in the 55-60 slog right now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

g0del posted:

It's a lot more than that - rep isn't even that bad, it's merely time-gated. But fully kitting out an alt now means getting super-expensive, super-rare doffs from the exchange. And getting a bunch of lockbox/lobi/c-store ships just for the trait. And lockbox space traits. And grinding up crafting for those traits. And plasmonic leech if you're a fed. Plus hundreds of thousands of dil to get all your equipment up to mk XIV after you finally get it all. Oh, and don't forget to grind fleet credits the whole time, to buy all the fleet equipment you'll need.

Basically, STO desperately needs a legacy system like in the old republic. They could charge dil for it and get a dil sink that people might actually like.

I've just shifted the goalposts for 'fully knitting out' an alt. I've got a good set of account bound weapons, you can unlock ship traits from event ships, then maybe do rep if you're feeling ambitious. Park in good Marauding space, boom done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

I've just shifted the goalposts for 'fully knitting out' an alt. I've got a good set of account bound weapons, you can unlock ship traits from event ships, then maybe do rep if you're feeling ambitious. Park in good Marauding space, boom done.

I just have a set of mk 14 aegis that I swap around, so I can look stylish

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Rumor has it licensing issues killed it.
Not rumor, even. The vesta's from a novel as and it's at least partially owned by the author, cover artist, or both, so there's a lot of extra negotiations and payments involved. Probably not worth the effort, or maybe the artist just said no, either way the small name recognition isn't worth it.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

The Vesta design itself is owned by the creator, they get paid for the use of it AFAIK.

Unlike the Luna-Class and the Odyssey, they were chosen in a contest where the rules said the rights are given to CBS.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 6, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I weep for the state of humanity when people here are actually looking forward to Cryptic written Star Trek time travel stories. The best you can hope to get out of a time travel story is Back to the Future or Terminator, for different reasons obviously but Trek writing in general has rarely reached anything people would consider good. Time travel is handled much worse, Cryptic Trek writing reaches inoffensive and forgettable at the very best and Cryptic time travel writing manages to excavate an entirely new sub basement of bad writing and people are looking forward to that. I mean I am here sperging pretty hard about that and yet I'm embarrassed for all of you. I mean wow, this is just so much worse than melting down over being called a space brony.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Based on the trailer alone, we're going to be going back to some classic TOS episodes.

However, the official twitter tweeted out a location that hasn't been in any episode of TOS, so we're getting new stuff as well.

There is also a shot of the Doomsday machine, with a Romulan TOS Bird of Pray helping fight it. I wonder what that is about.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Morglon posted:

I weep for the state of humanity when people here are actually looking forward to Cryptic written Star Trek time travel stories. The best you can hope to get out of a time travel story is Back to the Future or Terminator, for different reasons obviously but Trek writing in general has rarely reached anything people would consider good. Time travel is handled much worse, Cryptic Trek writing reaches inoffensive and forgettable at the very best and Cryptic time travel writing manages to excavate an entirely new sub basement of bad writing and people are looking forward to that. I mean I am here sperging pretty hard about that and yet I'm embarrassed for all of you. I mean wow, this is just so much worse than melting down over being called a space brony.

Star Trek IV is good :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If we got whale boffs I would unironically say the game was good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

New R&D pack promo ship: Whale Probe

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tunicate posted:

New R&D pack promo ship: Whale Probe

They'd give it a power drain trait that would be either useless, busted as all hell, or mutually exclusive with plasmonic leech.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

From the official press-release

"In Agents of Yesterday, five new TOS-era playable starships will also join the classic Enterprise, Constitution class starship, including the Daedalus class Science Vessel. "

Only five? That would only be the ones in the C-Store bundle then.

There was a 6th ship seen in the trailer during the big space battle, it looked similar to the Ranger, but it didn't have the Torpedo roll bar.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tuskin38 posted:

Salami_Inferno on Twitter: "If you own a TOS ship and its T6 equivalent, you can put the TOS costume on your T6 ship!"
Too bad that there doesn't appear to be a T6 connie equivalent.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

CBS won't allow it.

Back when the original Connie came out, apparently cryptic had to beg them to let them do it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tuskin38 posted:

CBS won't allow it.

Back when the original Connie came out, apparently cryptic had to beg them to let them do it.

The condition was that Connies had to be starter ships only because they didn't make sense as powerful in the 25th. Because apparently that's a big concern.

They only got Excelsior because it shows up all the time in TNG and also that one dev who really wanted it basically had to blow all of Cbs.

I wonder if the TOS 'faction' might actually be its entire own little miniature instance of the game. Its own sector space, its own maps, its own progressions, its own missions, its own STFs and Reps, no meeting 25th century.

Then they'd use Daedalus to Connie as the advancement ship tiers, but you have to buy to use them in the regular game.

Actually, they could do that with the TOS faction, but have 25th century characters able to travel to the TOS faction sector space and maps with the time portal! And use slightly modified Time Agent versions of the TOS faction missions for the normal faction missions. Save on asset development. And if you join a TOS Stf or rep, you're doing it to 'restore' the timeline instead.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 6, 2016

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
So are we getting a featured episode where we have to go back in time and make sure the holocaust happens, because :techno: Temporal Cold War :techno: ?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the TOS 'faction' might actually be its entire own little miniature instance of the game. Its own sector space, its own maps, its own progressions, its own missions, its own STFs and Reps, no meeting 25th century.
Not a chance, for basically the same reason games try to avoid WoW-style faction splits these days. It creates a shitload more work and dev time that only a fraction of the playerbase will use.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Then they'd use Daedalus to Connie as the advancement ship tiers, but you have to buy to use them in the regular game.

Actually, they could do that with the TOS faction, but have 25th century characters able to travel to the TOS faction sector space and maps with the time portal! And use slightly modified Time Agent versions of the TOS faction missions for the normal faction missions. Save on asset development.

That sounds like work. I imagine they'll have a shitload of timeline contamination at some point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Not a chance, for basically the same reason games try to avoid WoW-style faction splits these days. It creates a shitload more work and dev time that only a fraction of the playerbase will use.

Actually, what they'll probably do is have a TOS sector space with a time portal, separated like the Delta Quadrant, and TOS characters also become time agents as part of their story and can access the 25th and the rest of the game. Like the rommie thing with tau dewa sector block.

wdarkk posted:

That sounds like work. I imagine they'll have a shitload of timeline contamination at some point.

Our ships and characters use temporal holodisguises in the past but we have filters to see through them. :)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

g0del posted:

Too bad that there doesn't appear to be a T6 connie equivalent.

It is a glory that there is no t6 connie.

You guys remember stoleviathan99? He was in NoP PS blabbering about how BUT IN FACT they never said no t6 connie you see it will be a lockbox ship blah blah blah.

We were trying to explain to him NO t6 connie EVER, not NOW not EVER, and he got upset and said NOPPS was a troll channel and disappeared :(

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

How did everyone miss the best new info in that post? Non-hideous Tellarites with pig noses!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mesh replace avenger with Connie refit.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Honestly a TOS expansion would probably get me to install and try and play this lovely game again.

I have an unhealthy love for TOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Preechr posted:

So are we getting a featured episode where we have to go back in time and make sure the holocaust happens, because :techno: Temporal Cold War :techno: ?

'Course not.

...The geographers would murder them for inaccurate set design.

• Locked thread