Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stokes posted:

I've confirmed a pretty cool thing. If you start as a cleric, Patches calls you a 'greedy cleric' in the Cathedral as he pulls the lever. Otherwise it's 'greedy guts'.

I've confirmed that if you have Siegward in the kitchen and tell Patches that Greirat is going to Irithyll he can still manage to find a way to die :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

So what's the deal in the Grand Archives with the tower at the very top of the place with the winged fat knights, the giant cage hang from the ceiling beneath it, and the one Rosaria worm dude mage hanging out in the rafters? I feel like there's some weird story I'm missing up in that tower.

Hint for DLC, is my guess. My other two guesses for DLC are The Deep and the Far East, given the detailed descriptions on various eastern armors and weapons, including the Onislayer Arrows

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

I've confirmed that if you have Siegward in the kitchen and tell Patches that Greirat is going to Irithyll he can still manage to find a way to die :smith:

Thats exactly how to get him killed even. You either don't save Siegward and tell Patches where he is or save Siegward and don't tell Patches.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mazed posted:

DS2 is weird because despite it's lack of coherence, it's still incredibly drat fun to play. DS3 might get some patches to help PvP along but it'll take some real effort to get it up to scratch with what DS2 had to offer. And the PvE in it, when it's good, it's really drat good, especially in SotFS.

That said, if things do work out, I can see doing a number of playthroughs just as a dedicated Mound-Maker, because getting to be a wild card rather than merely a hindrance has a lot of fun potential.

The art direction and atmosphere is what gets me into these games and keeps me there even when I'm not having fun, but it's the gameplay diversity and character building that keeps me coming back for later playthroughs and makes me want to play with other people. Dark souls 2 has a weaker world but it works so much better as a game that it has always been my favorite and I have spent more time in it than any of the others (even if From did their best to ruin it with the DLC imbalance and nerfing miracles into the ground). When I consider whether I want to replay these games with a new character, I think of how I'm going to level to make this run different from the last one, and all the cool different stuff I'm going to use. I don't think "but there's that elevator in earthen peak" :qq:

Being able to fight enemies as a mound maker is making me interested in invading and just playing as surprise purple batman.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

Did you go in the dungeon?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

Hint for DLC, is my guess. My other two guesses for DLC are The Deep and the Far East, given the detailed descriptions on various eastern armors and weapons, including the Onislayer Arrows

My hopes for DLC are Londor, the Deep, and Carthus. Want to fight a young and badass Wolnir.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
So it seems like if you didn't get 30 vertebra shackles in early game it's very nearly impossible to get them in the pvp SL region now. I'm trying to be a good mad spirit and either invade or get summoned to set up a Sudden Yet Inevitable Betrayal, but that's not how high level multiplayer works anymore, is it?

19/20 of my signs or my invasions ended up dropping me into a fight club with the host having phantoms fight. Now, I like fight clubs fine in principle; but if I'm actually after shackles I have only two options. Win against three opponents straight, which is difficult with my current setup, or kill the host. I don't even bother trying the latter because if he's got 3-4 phantoms nearby I'm probably hosed when they gank the guy trying to spoil their fun and even if I manage to occasionally take hosts by surprise that's a pretty dire and frustrating way to collect a couple dozen shackles.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Did you send Greirat before or after talking to Siegward in the kitchen?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm hoping the DLC gives a little love to DkS2 locations. I doubt it will, but it'd be cool.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Genocyber posted:

My hopes for DLC are Londor, the Deep, and Carthus. Want to fight a young and badass Wolnir.

I think that a DLC with Gwinevere, Gertrude, and Ocelotte is almost a sure thing.

I'm going to go with:

1. Lothric Royal Family Drama
2. Primordial Serpents
3. Nito

Nito is conspicuously absent from this game. All the other lord soul bosses from the first game have references or connections in this game but Nito only seems to have that one frieze in the Farron Keep.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 6, 2016

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Anyone have any advice with starting a dex character? I chose mercenary and have leveled a bit, but my sellsword twinblades do absolutely no damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A friend brought Demon's Souls over and I learned three things.

1. Dark Souls 3 is literally half Demon's Souls.
2. Demon's Souls graphics have not held up.
3. Demon's Souls is easy as poo poo seven years later. :haw:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Anyone have any advice with starting a dex character? I chose mercenary and have leveled a bit, but my sellsword twinblades do absolutely no damage.

I started with the uchigatana and then switched to sellsword twinblades after a few areas. They get good once you get some dex and make them sharp.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Having more about "The Deep" would be cool. The Cathedral was a creepy, gnarly place that was Berserk as all poo poo, and Aldrich is the best drat boss fight in this game and probably a contender now for one of my all time favorite video game baddies. Plus, Fromsoft can rock it at ocean-themed stuff as the Bloodborne DLC proves.

But I'd kinda like to know a bit more about the Profaned Capital and just what that was all about there. We get a fair amount of characterization for Yhorm himself, especially through Siegward's quest, but very little about his nation except that it was obviously very wealthy.

And of course we also have Courland. Ludleth's a cool guy and obviously the only Lord of Cinder who gives a poo poo about his job.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Absolutely what Digirat just said. Sellsword Twinblades are my weapon of choice, at 40 dex and Sharp infusion, they absolutely shred. Just remember that faster weapons will never hit as hard as big ones; it's all about getting in a lot of quick attacks and having the footwork to make up for your short range.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 6, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I don't think they'll go more into the "Deep" just because Aldrich is such a major presence in the main game and has so many areas devoted to him and his lore already.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proposition Joe posted:

I don't think they'll go more into the "Deep" just because Aldrich is such a major presence in the main game and has so many areas devoted to him and his lore already.

No reason the lords of cinder have to be equally important, plus The Deep isn't just Aldrich. It got a lot of buildup and then we didn't go there.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What pyromancies should I use, they all seem kinda meh except the generic fireballs

Also, what spells in general are good

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I asked my wife to hide this game from me. I can't decide on a play style, and the one I want to use is too loving difficult. A rapier dodge/parry build. Half the poo poo in this game can't be parried (Lothric Knights!) and the other time I just miss.

Maybe in a month or two I'll try again, but I've effectively burnt myself out by starting over a dozen or more times.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

There's plenty about Aldrich but not the Deep. I mean we don't even ever see the Deep, just the Cathedral devoted to it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

They could easily use it just to link the Dark Souls and Bloodborne continuities. :v:

Though common theory is just that it refers to the Dark or the Abyss and Aldrich likened it to deep waters because he's literally mud.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

So, anyone on PS4 feel like helping me transfer a few items to a new character? If you need some late-game armor or weapons on a new character yourself, I don't mind parting with whatever I'm not using.

Just shoot a PSN message to RandomHajile-SA if you want to help out.

Edit: Found help, thanks

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2016

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Genocyber posted:

There's plenty about Aldrich but not the Deep. I mean we don't even ever see the Deep, just the Cathedral devoted to it.

Yeah the only thing from the Deep we see is Aldrich himself, the cathedral of the deep looks mostly like a normal cathedral despite existing to worship undersea eldritch horrors

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If I had to guess Londor will be one of the DLC, ending with us finally getting to fight a Primordial Serpent and maybe including stuff about the Abyss/Deep. Followed by the Mystic East, which will probably start with Carthus Sandworm Desert and end with a giant Oni boss.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 6, 2016

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the DLC will be some places we've never heard of before that raise more questions while answering none

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I invaded and killed a host who was dropping a bunch of stuff for someone. all the items were just left on the ground. are they gone forever? I hope so.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is Dragonslayer Greataxe better than Dragonslayer shield? Im doing a high STR/VIT build where i want to roll witg a big weapon and heavy shield with regular armor, but i don't know what to pick between those items.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deified Data posted:

You know going in I really thought that the ancient dragons would play a bigger role (or indeed any role) in the central narrative, what with the wyverns and the hollows/Iudex Gundyr channeling dragon essence, then again with Oceiros trying to revive them and calling out to an unseen Ocelotte, and once I reached the Archives I knew the big guy himself, Seath the Scaleless would make an appearance...!

But no, they're just mobs. I really thought they were building to something for a while.

I see this, Londor, or both being BIG things in the DLC.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Random Hajile posted:

So, anyone on PS4 feel like helping me transfer a few items to a new character? If you need some late-game armor or weapons on a new character yourself, I don't mind parting with whatever I'm not using.

Just shoot a PSN message to RandomHajile-SA if you want to help out.
I can, PSN MosquitoJones. Give me a couple to get on. Grand Archives Bonfire work?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Londor is almost certainly going to be a DLC area since it's the one realm that's extensively referenced that you never actually get to visit. I guess it's gonna be New Londo? So, I suppose they'll recycle a bunch of assets from the Fisting Hamlet and call it a week :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I kind of feel like the Profaned Capital has to be part of Drangleic though? I didn't think it was at first but Yorhm is obviously descended from the Giant Lord, and his soul says he was tasked with leading the people he once conquered. And as far as we know the Giant Lord only ever had an issue with one nation; Drangleic, because Vendrick was a big jerk to the giants. We also know from the description of Eleonora that the Profaned Capital was destroyed by the curse of a group of women related to an oracle, which must be the fragments of Manus. The PC in DS2 puts Nashandra and a few of her sisters into the ground but there were almost certainly others with similar ambitions.

What makes me doubt this is that none of the architecture in the Profaned Capital really matches up to Drangleic. The jailer's are the only survivors of the profaned flame, and they don't appear to draw any design inspiration from DS2 either. I just can't figure out where else this place would be.

Mr Dog posted:

the Fisting Hamlet

:yikes:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

On DLC talk, here's what I wanna know, more about these things:

Apparently they're the "terminal" form of those hosed up tree-corpses you see early on, or possibly what occurs under the wrappings you see on "pilgrims" like Yoel, being that they're called "pilgrim butterflies".

Guess a Londor DLC could easily include more on that.

lite_sleepr posted:

I asked my wife to hide this game from me. I can't decide on a play style, and the one I want to use is too loving difficult. A rapier dodge/parry build. Half the poo poo in this game can't be parried (Lothric Knights!) and the other time I just miss.

Maybe in a month or two I'll try again, but I've effectively burnt myself out by starting over a dozen or more times.

Lothric Knights are very much parry-able. They're actually easiest to catch right on their opening swing, I've found.

Otherwise I feel ya. Like my first 20 hours of gameplay was actually just loving around with styles. Decided to save trickier builds for later because they're a whole lot less frustrating when you know what's about to be coming at you. In my case, the tricky one I'm doing next will be a heavy weapons build because turns out those are a whole lot less overpowering when you ain't got poo poo for poise no matter what you wear and you always have a huge windup. :v:

Internet Kraken posted:

I kind of feel like the Profaned Capital has to be part of Drangleic though? I didn't think it was at first but Yorhm is obviously descended from the Giant Lord, and his soul says he was tasked with leading the people he once conquered. And as far as we know the Giant Lord only ever had an issue with one nation; Drangleic, because Vendrick was a big jerk to the giants. We also know from the description of Eleonora that the Profaned Capital was destroyed by the curse of a group of women related to an oracle, which must be the fragments of Manus. The PC in DS2 puts Nashandra and a few of her sisters into the ground but there were almost certainly others with similar ambitions.

What makes me doubt this is that none of the architecture in the Profaned Capital really matches up to Drangleic. The jailer's are the only survivors of the profaned flame, and they don't appear to draw any design inspiration from DS2 either. I just can't figure out where else this place would be.

Also Drangleic-related: You find Laddersmith Gilligan's corpse there.

Though Yorhm doesn't seem to be a DS2 giant, as he actually possesses a face (visible in the cutscene when Siegward accompanies you).

Still, Karla, who's found nearby, is implied to be another of Nashandra's sisters, and there's another neat little aside that ties her to the lore behind Wayfarer Alva, he of the cool armor set.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 6, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tetracube posted:

What pyromancies should I use, they all seem kinda meh except the generic fireballs

Also, what spells in general are good
carthus flame arc, fire whip can be good in pvp sometimes, profaned flame, toxic mist is fun, power within is fun and risky as usual(do +20% extra damage and gain stamina considerably faster(+30 stamina recovered per second, base recovery is 45) for HP), black serpent is kinda ok.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazed posted:

Also Drangleic-related: You find Laddersmith Gilligan's corpse there.

Though Yorhm doesn't seem to be a DS2 giant, as he actually possesses a face (visible in the cutscene when Siegward accompanies you).

Still, Karla, who's found nearby, is implied to be another of Nashandra's sisters, and there's another neat little aside that ties her to the lore behind Wayfarer Alva, he of the cool armor set.

Giligan being there doesn't mean much too me because he's just a greedy fucker and would of gone anywhere he could get treasure :v:

As for Yohrm, I'm of the opinion that there is only one species of giant and the ones in DS2 were suffering from a curse. The gaping hole they have for faces looks extremely similar to the dark sigil. The Londor Pilgrims are turning into trees, a fate which also befell the giants in DS2. The hooded Londor Pilgrims definitely look similar to the DS2 giants as well. I don't think all these visual similarities are a coincidence. From also hosed with our expectations regarding Yorhm a lot; in the initial trailer his face was obscured to make him look like a DS2 giant. Its only when you finally fight him you see he has a "normal" face. My theory is that Yorhm, before linking the flame, looks liked the DS2 giants. The curse is what hosed up his linking of the fire and burnt the entire Profaned Capital down. When he was reborn as a Lord of Cinder, the curse was purged from his body.

Yeah there's a shitload of logic jumps there but its not like you have a lot to work on when it comes to the Profaned Capital anyways.

EDIT: Its also worth remembering that when it came to Drangleic, tons of kingdoms had risen and fallen in that same exact land. The Profaned Capital may not be Drangleic itself but yet another one of those kingdoms. DS2's story also focused a lot on ambition and desire and how it played into the nature of humanity. The people of the Profaned Capital clearly had an extreme amount of 'want', given the vast wealth it contained. The jailers are caricatures of a greedy noble; wealthy aristocrats that hide behind masks and derive joy out of tormenting others.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 6, 2016

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Digirat posted:

I started with the uchigatana and then switched to sellsword twinblades after a few areas. They get good once you get some dex and make them sharp.

That sounds good. Any advice on making the special attack on the twinblades useful? It seems beyond useless.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Did they patch out the Sword Master exploit yet for beating that boss early?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FutonForensic posted:

The way Dark Souls as a series treats the Far East would be really orientalist and weird if From wasn't a Japanese company.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Giligan being there doesn't mean much too me because he's just a greedy fucker and would of gone anywhere he could get treasure :v:

As for Yohrm, I'm of the opinion that there is only one species of giant and the ones in DS2 were suffering from a curse. The gaping hole they have for faces looks extremely similar to the dark sigil. The Londor Pilgrims are turning into trees, a fate which also befell the giants in DS2. The hooded Londor Pilgrims definitely look similar to the DS2 giants as well. I don't think all these visual similarities are a coincidence. From also hosed with our expectations regarding Yorhm a lot; in the initial trailer his face was obscured to make him look like a DS2 giant. Its only when you finally fight him you see he has a "normal" face. My theory is that Yorhm, before linking the flame, looks liked the DS2 giants. The curse is what hosed up his linking of the fire and burnt the entire Profaned Capital down. When he was reborn as a Lord of Cinder, the curse was purged from his body.

Yeah there's a shitload of logic jumps there but its not like you have a lot to work on when it comes to the Profaned Capital anyways.

While not necessarily implying much, the fact that there's a gigantic pile of ladders in that little tower you arrive in to find Gilligan's body means that some thought went into setting up that particular morbid joke. Though for all we know, Fromsoft is more than aware of Souls fans' tendency to analyze the hell out of everything and their full intent there was, "hey let's just do this and let 'em chew on it."

Not a bad theory on the giants actually, and the fact that there's a giant tree at Firelink means that they haven't at all cut the DS2 giants out of the continuity. Overall there's a ton of stuff going on with undead becoming spooky wooden things in this game, enough to merit this sort of consideration.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The way Dark Souls as a series treats the Far East would be really orientalist and weird if From wasn't a Japanese company.

Dark Souls 1 player: "Hey the skeletons in this game are like ninjas compared to skeletons in other games, maybe let's not go where the skeletons are first."

Dark Souls 3 player: "Hey there's a naked ninja man in the starting area kinda like how there were ninja skeletons in the first game."

Dark Souls 3 player, later: "Okay there are literal skeleton ninjas and I don't know what to believe anymore."

Mazed fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 6, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They're already doing a far east-themed DLC. It's called Nioh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5UG7AMhOY

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Far East is inhabited entirely by skeletons. You never saw Shiva's face, for all you know he was a skeleton under that armour! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SoldadoDeTone posted:

That sounds good. Any advice on making the special attack on the twinblades useful? It seems beyond useless.

Don't bother if you aren't going to do the second part of the attack. If you do then it will deal a hair more damage and stagger than normal swings, but for the most part just stick to L1s. Then get mad as your swings ping off of every wall in a five mile radius.