Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twiddy posted:

One thing that I believe has been well established is that when it comes to the political situation, that doesn't matter. It's a good thing that the heroes are consistently beating the villains, but the population still feels threatened. Even if the villains have all been put down, the heroes have been incapable of preventing the attacks from happening even when they're actively trying to.

In a lot of the scenarios that hasn't been fair at all and the heroes are clearly trying to do everything they can, but the masses don't care about that.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't commenting on that at all. I was responding to Stallion Cabana asking why the villains can stand up to the heroes so well. The answer is... They can't, All For One and his creations excepted. Even Stain, who has numerous hero kills, got taken out by children the moment things became an actual fight; he seems to have mostly got his kills through ambushes, though admittedly it being a three-on-one fight didn't help.

In conjunction with what you've said, this creates the strange scenario where the villains have lost pretty much every battle, usually pretty badly, but are winning the war; since only mooks and Noumus have been lost while most of the key players kept slipping away so they could strike (and lose) again and again, the damage they've caused is demoralizing the heroes and the populace even though the villains have almost never held the advantage. Which helps explain the dissonance some people (myself included to an extent) are feeling, in how the villains just keep losing so, so badly and yet are still treated as a major threat and such. Also the villains are pretty much outright terrorists, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, yeah, I wasn't commenting on that at all. I was responding to Stallion Cabana asking why the villains can stand up to the heroes so well. The answer is... They can't, All For One and his creations excepted. Even Stain, who has numerous hero kills, got taken out by children the moment things became an actual fight; he seems to have mostly got his kills through ambushes, though admittedly it being a three-on-one fight didn't help.

In conjunction with what you've said, this creates the strange scenario where the villains have lost pretty much every battle, usually pretty badly, but are winning the war; since only mooks and Noumus have been lost while most of the key players kept slipping away so they could strike (and lose) again and again, the damage they've caused is demoralizing the heroes and the populace even though the villains have almost never held the advantage. Which helps explain the dissonance some people (myself included to an extent) are feeling, in how the villains just keep losing so, so badly and yet are still treated as a major threat and such. Also the villains are pretty much outright terrorists, come to think of it.

Stain also was explicitly trying to not kill Izuku and Todoroki. His power as well is much better suited for one on one fights.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twiddy posted:

One thing that I believe has been well established is that when it comes to the political situation, that doesn't matter. It's a good thing that the heroes are consistently beating the villains, but the population still feels threatened. Even if the villains have all been put down, the heroes have been incapable of preventing the attacks from happening even when they're actively trying to.

In a lot of the scenarios that hasn't been fair at all and the heroes are clearly trying to do everything they can, but the masses don't care about that.

Well yeah, from the look of things the villains are constantly pulling off attacks that none of the heroes can stop from happening. Sure, no one died, but the fear becomes 'Well we got lucky now but what about next time?' Also this is supposed to be the toughest hero school to get into as well so if the best of the best can't hold off the villains then maybe we're done for!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Stain's quirk was pretty crappy. He could use it to assassinate people, but for actual fights he relied on anything but his quirk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I mean, double checking on the wiki it says it's just his palm sweat, but even for shounen anime wikis the MHA wiki is abject loving garbage so idk. Where is ZepiaEltnamOberon when you need him?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You guys are smoking something, the dub sounded great! They sound pretty much exactly how they sound in my mind when I read the manga! But maybe it's because I didn't watch the anime first?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

Stain's quirk was pretty crappy. He could use it to assassinate people, but for actual fights he relied on anything but his quirk.

Not really. He used his quirk a lot in fights. Because if he drew any blood from his opponent he won. The day was only saved because Izuku had the same bloodtype as Stain. So the paralysis wore off quicker for him and Stain did not want to kill him.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

DrSunshine posted:

You guys are smoking something, the dub sounded great! They sound pretty much exactly how they sound in my mind when I read the manga! But maybe it's because I didn't watch the anime first?

He sounds like he's coming from like an old-timey radio serial of a 1950's era comic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Chris Sabat sounds like he's aping Kenta Miyake and even if I didn't hear the anime first, hearing sabat as All Might is lame as gently caress and Bakugo is the most tryhard I've heard an american va try to be in forever and it rolls around to being annoying rather than funny or hammy

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Tommy Lee Jones?

Jeebs. The dood who'd keep having his head blown off and having to regenerate it.

DrSunshine posted:

The probelm is I always read the comic with the Gurren Lagann dub cast, more or less, so unless Funi were willing to blow the bank to get Yuri Lowenthal as Deku and then raid Ft. Knox for Hynden Walch as Ochako then it wasn't going to meet expectations.

Hearing Justin Briner as Cloud in FF7MA helped for Deku, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 6, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Baal posted:

Chris Sabat sounds like he's aping Kenta Miyake and even if I didn't hear the anime first, hearing sabat as All Might is lame as gently caress and Bakugo is the most tryhard I've heard an american va try to be in forever and it rolls around to being annoying rather than funny or hammy
Bakugou's english VA annoys me less than his Japanese VA.

No I don't loving care if he voiced accelerator or whomever I didn't watch that show.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jeebs. The dood who'd keep having his head blown off and having to regenerate it.

The probelm is I always read the comic with the Gurren Lagann dub cast, more or less, so unless Funi were willing to blow the bank to get Yuri Lowenthal as Deku and then raid Ft. Knox for Hynden Walch as Ochako then it wasn't going to meet expectations.

Hearing Justin Briner as Cloud in FF7MA helped for Deku, though.
Honestly outside of very specific actors most of those guys get paid scale still and aren't that expensive. It's mostly scheduling that ends up being the problem.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

No I don't loving care if he voiced accelerator or whomever I didn't watch that show.
Honestly outside of very specific actors most of those guys get paid scale still and aren't that expensive. It's mostly scheduling that ends up being the problem.

I don't even care that he voiced accelerator but I am fine agreeing his JP voice is annoying as poo poo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

Well yeah, from the look of things the villains are constantly pulling off attacks that none of the heroes can stop from happening. Sure, no one died, but the fear becomes 'Well we got lucky now but what about next time?' Also this is supposed to be the toughest hero school to get into as well so if the best of the best can't hold off the villains then maybe we're done for!

Really it's probably pretty similar to before All Might became the symbol of peace. As long as a hero shows up and unambiguously wins, the public is fine with it. But the villains have been pulling audacious attacks and causing the heroes to get less than unquestionable wins. This is going to be especially true if All Might actually dies here, even if Bakugou is saved and no other heroes die.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Hynden Walch as Ochako

Awww man, I hadn't even thought of Princess Bubblegum/Starfire. My god, she'd be perfect!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Still holding out hope they stuntcast Dante Basco as Todoroki, so he can become that guy that just voices characters with troubled pasts and conspicuous burns.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I think Shigaraki might have a quirk similar to All for One and One for All. If he is the son of the previous One for All carrier, he might have inherited a similar quirk. Because even though it can be transferred, it still seems to be based on DNA like other quirks.

Shigaraki does carry around that hand of his father, we know that this person did have a quirk... it might have been disintegrating touch.

If that is the case, maybe his quirk works well with receiving quirks, rather than taking or giving. He did have more hands on him when he went to fight All Might the first time, although he didn't seem to use other quirks (could have been passive quirks like better reflexes). Maybe sensei intends to load him up with all his stolen quirks at some point. Or literally give him a hand...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Piriwi posted:

I think Shigaraki might have a quirk similar to All for One and One for All. If he is the son of the previous One for All carrier, he might have inherited a similar quirk. Because even though it can be transferred, it still seems to be based on DNA like other quirks.

Shigaraki does carry around that hand of his father, we know that this person did have a quirk... it might have been disintegrating touch.

If that is the case, maybe his quirk works well with receiving quirks, rather than taking or giving. He did have more hands on him when he went to fight All Might the first time, although he didn't seem to use other quirks (could have been passive quirks like better reflexes). Maybe sensei intends to load him up with all his stolen quirks at some point. Or literally give him a hand...

the most important question wrt shigaraki is how does he keep dad hand from stinking and making his face stink

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Condiv posted:

the most important question wrt shigaraki is how does he keep dad hand from stinking and making his face stink

a41 is an expert taxidermist

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Did I miss the explanation of the hand being his father's, or was that inferred?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did I miss the explanation of the hand being his father's, or was that inferred?

He calls the hand "father" all the time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Why would anybody want that though? The only time I like it when you get voice actors using the same type of voice is when the characters are quite similar. For example I like that the guy who did the English dub Accelerator uses the same voice for Karma in Assassination Classroom as it really helps sell just how psychotic
he can be.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Piriwi posted:

Counterpoint: He didn't have any hands when he went to meet Deku and he was still able to use disintegration.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The hands are his costume, not his quirk.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

RatHat posted:

Counterpoint: He didn't have any hands when he went to meet Deku and he was still able to use disintegration.

End of ch. 69 shows that he did have it. There is also a sound effect when he puts it away when Uraraka shows up. And he didn't actually use his power.

An one panel flashback in that chapter shows a severed hand lying next to a pool of blood, which we have also seen in the flashback of All Might next to the corpse of his predecessor.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Piriwi posted:

End of ch. 69 shows that he did have it.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
all of his extra hands definitely have something to do with his quirk imo

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's just pen-pals with Kira.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I just want to see him animate all the hands and make them punch people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

all of his extra hands definitely have something to do with his quirk imo

Quirks are biological functions. A dude having death hands just means he has death hands, no matter what accessories he prefers. Even when it is poo poo that breaks the laws of physics like Uraraka, there is still a weird body part that controls it. He might have a second quirk that has something to do with all those severed hands, but that would be something he got from his surrogate father.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Quirks are biological functions. A dude having death hands just means he has death hands, no matter what accessories he prefers. Even when it is poo poo that breaks the laws of physics like Uraraka, there is still a weird body part that controls it. He might have a second quirk that has something to do with all those severed hands, but that would be something he got from his surrogate father.

What? How is using quirks from hands you're touching any less "biological" than shooting lasers from your crotch?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Excuse me, he shoots lasers from his navel. It's different.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He has a navel that shoots lasers. He doesn't have innate control over light, or the ability to shoot lasers out of other people's navels (though that would be rad as heck).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well whatever, my point is there isn't really any limit to quirks. We already have another character who can copy quirks afterall.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Maybe Togaraki's quirk is using the quirk of someone he's touching. The hands have quirks put into them by AfO.

That or they're trophies. He disintegrates people except for their hands and then takes them.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont know if its quirk copying, or he just needs severed hands to fuel his ability somehow, or whatever. it could be anything. whatever it is, its clear that its not just a costume or stylistic thing. he hides a severed hand in his pocket when hes going out in disguise

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Law Cheetah posted:

i dont know if its quirk copying, or he just needs severed hands to fuel his ability somehow, or whatever. it could be anything. whatever it is, its clear that its not just a costume or stylistic thing. he hides a severed hand in his pocket when hes going out in disguise

maybe his dad's hand is very dear to him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He wears his father's hand on his face and calls it father. I would be surprised if he didn't take it everywhere with him.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The worst security blanket.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

He wears his father's hand on his face and calls it father. I would be surprised if he didn't take it everywhere with him.

He had it in his pocket when he was at the mall threatening Deku and stuff, so yeah, that's what he does.

He also threatened to disintegrate Deku's throat then without any of his hands being worn, on that tangent. I don't think they power his quirk. (How would you discover that, anyway?) He also destroyed Yueii's gate in public, and while we saw him from behind with his hoodie (so, dressed like he was at the mall) on I doubt he was wearing his hands then either because that would have drawn a lot of attention.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Minor thing that bugged me a little: In the part where Monoma copies Bakugou's quirk, wouldn't it gently caress up his hands? Bakugou has extra thick skin on his palms to cope with his quirk, so it seems like it would mess Monoma's hands up unless his copy ability also caused him to grow the thick skin. I guess the same sorta goes for someone like Uraraka, who has some physical characteristic closely related to her quirk (the pads on her fingertips).