Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

lilljonas posted:

Two 6mm samurai DBA armies would look roughly like this, if you base your infantry in two ranks on each base (so up to 16 minis/base):

Live the chibi castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Live the chibi castle

My wife couldn't care less about my miniatures, but she likes when I build tiny houses. Same goes with her friends.

6mm is also a good scale if you want to actually start putting things like castles on the table, without it becoming a mess.

E: for example, this kit of Hiroshima castle would be perfect, at 1/350 scale, and it's of a castle that was built on a plain, so it doesn't look weird if you don't build a huge hill to put it on.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10199481

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 2, 2016

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Baccus is great. Super nice, efficient shipping, a vaguely modern website. The models are also good but the main thing is that you should give Mr Baccus money for dragging 6mm out of the clutches of grog Gopher websites.

Yeah I didn't really get what the OP was on about with the bad websites cos Baccus was the first one I went on. Then I did some browsing, and now I understand.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

INinja132 posted:

Yeah I didn't really get what the OP was on about with the bad websites cos Baccus was the first one I went on. Then I did some browsing, and now I understand.

Baccus has also made a new website since the OP was written. The old website was worse than the current one.

E: it was still amazing compared to, say, Irregular Miniatures.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

If I pick up Saga, do I basically need two starter warbands to get things going? And if I order the starter sets from the Dice Bag Lady, would I still need dice?

I picked up the Viking 4pt starter and the Irish 4pt Starter. Only then did I realize that the dice for the Irish didn't come with the miniatures. No big deal I figured. Then I realize that the Irish are in a different, out of print, rulebook. Welp.

So for now those Irish are gonna be someone else. Maybe Saxons with big dogs, I dunno.

Hopefully I can track down a vendor in the US, I'd hate to pay the intl shipping on 6 dice and a rulebook that's thinner then an Ikea Sunday catalogue.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yooper posted:

Hopefully I can track down a vendor in the US, I'd hate to pay the intl shipping on 6 dice and a rulebook that's thinner then an Ikea Sunday catalogue.

If not:

https://thedicebaglady.net/saga/

I've done cross-Atlantic business with her before for Frostgrave stuff, and she ships almost unbelievably cheap. No complaints. She even puts sweets and little buttons in the package. :3:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Awesome!

$4 for international shipping is pretty great.

You people always make me spend... :ohdear:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Conan the Librarian posted:

I'm willing to bet that Battlefront wanted to have a book/movie tie in for their Team Yankee release and Coyle was the best they could get for the little or no money they were able to spend. If I had to guess they would have preferred something like Red Storm Rising but Team Yankee was affordable and focused heavily on the forces that their game models, so that is what they went with. I've never bothered to read the book myself, I just assumed that if there was a good WW3 novel out there I would have known about it before the game released.

If I'm remembering right, the WI article said the guy who wrote most of the rulebook enjoyed the novel many years prior when he was in the service or something, so when BF wanted him to do CWGH he went back to that for a source.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Apparently the writer just sent them a book and said "Hey want to do a thing?". I think that was on Breakthrough Assault or something?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Awesome!

$4 for international shipping is pretty great.

You people always make me spend... :ohdear:

Easy solution: live in Canada and have your currency be poo poo so it's really expensive to buy anything worldwide!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Good thing we got the Euro last year, now I barely understand miniature prices which leads to mire miniatures!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

VacuumJockey posted:

Anyone seen this? It's a medieval skirmish campaign game based on FiveCore rules. From the blurb:

"Chevauchee takes the familiar, fast-moving engine from FiveCore and adapts it to medieval skirmish warfare. Features include:

*Warband level gameplay where you can get to know each member of your army.
*Simple D6-based combat mechanics that combine morale and injury into a single roll.
*Systems to build almost any medieval (or fantasy) weapon you can think of.
*Full detailed campaign rules letting you follow a warband across multiple encounters and random events.
*Random character creation providing you with a strong roleplaying element.
*Character skills, letting each individual be a unique contributor to your noble crusade.. or petty thievery.
*The "Fief" campaign, letting you run your own petty domain. Hope the peasants aren't too revolting!"

I like Nordic Weasel's other campaign rules but they're all set in fairly modern or future wars, so I figured I'd give this one a read. I already have enough figures to field 2 forces lying around, so I may actually get to play this one.
:smug:

He's also working on fantasy supplement, with campaigns for quests/adventures and stuff!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I checked out the Chevauchee rules, and was really disappointed. Unless I'm missing something, there's basically no rules for actually building an army you want. All of the following are randomized with no balanced method for picking: warband size (how many soldiers you get), warband composition (how many levies/retinues you get), warband equipment (per soldier, almost every detail is randomized), starting skills (both the skills and the number of skills, in multiple ways) and leadership. I'm sure with so many randomized traits, it balances out on average, but A)that's almost impossible to plan around, hope you have minis for every possible weapon you could roll and B)it's entirely possible to get screwed over by chance and wind up with 4 people armed with knives against 8 mounted armored badasses. Even the Fief management rules are totally randomized, so there's almost no player choice or interaction involved.

Even beyond the way-too-random stuff, the rules aren't even that good. Piercing weapons are strictly superior to bashing and slashing, and there are weird cases like Piercing+Slashing being better than Slashing+Piercing.

Am I missing something here? Because this seems basically impossible to play even a balanced pickup game in.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Talking of the chevauchee thing has any minis fame ever pulled off a good strategic layer

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Kaza42 posted:

I checked out the Chevauchee rules, and was really disappointed. Unless I'm missing something, there's basically no rules for actually building an army you want. All of the following are randomized with no balanced method for picking: warband size (how many soldiers you get), warband composition (how many levies/retinues you get), warband equipment (per soldier, almost every detail is randomized), starting skills (both the skills and the number of skills, in multiple ways) and leadership. I'm sure with so many randomized traits, it balances out on average, but A)that's almost impossible to plan around, hope you have minis for every possible weapon you could roll and B)it's entirely possible to get screwed over by chance and wind up with 4 people armed with knives against 8 mounted armored badasses. Even the Fief management rules are totally randomized, so there's almost no player choice or interaction involved.

Even beyond the way-too-random stuff, the rules aren't even that good. Piercing weapons are strictly superior to bashing and slashing, and there are weird cases like Piercing+Slashing being better than Slashing+Piercing.

Am I missing something here? Because this seems basically impossible to play even a balanced pickup game in.
I rather like the randomness because I like the aspect of "this is what you got, make the best of it". As you say, it seems basically impossible to play even a balanced pickup game. All the random factors are mainly there to give you context for your little skirmish. For me, that's a feature, not a bug. (I say, fully realizing that other people's tastes may differ)

I haven't had a chance to playtest the Chevauchee rules yet, but it seems to me that the weapons have a higher damage rating than in the other FiveCore games. I'm guessing that this will cut some handling time down in the long run, but - alas - I have yet to see what this means in practical terms and how it plays out.

When you say " there's basically no rules for actually building an army you want", do you mean that it should have army lists'n stuff?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Seconding the dice bag lady, also why the hell hasn't studio tomahawk produced more saga dice. They're sold out most errywhere

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Good thing we got the Euro last year, now I barely understand miniature prices which leads to mire miniatures!
Only last year? Well that explains the new cool coins I started getting.

Also: what the gently caress were you collectively thinking?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

This should be good for Black Powder and Sharpe Practice shouldn't it?

muggins fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 3, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Only last year? Well that explains the new cool coins I started getting.

Also: what the gently caress were you collectively thinking?

As election results show, we don't think much

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Trenchworx has started a new kickstarter for resin tanks, this time themed around the Western Front of WW2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/610277926/tanks-on-the-western-front-in-28mm-by-trenchworx

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 3, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was going to post that! I backed their WWI one, they came through and I was very impressed with the quality.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The calliope looks pretty rad, at least. All of the others look good, but "West front WW2" is a niche that's already well-served by WW2 vehicles. Though maybe not the Marder.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Unfortunately, yeah. The WWI one featured some very underepresented tanks (I got a Mk V!) but a lot of the options here are already available in 1/56, many even in plastic.

The M3 scout car saw Soviet use under Lend-Lease, and I haven't come across that kit in 1/56 yet. (So that's what I'm backing for.)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Polikarpov posted:

Trenchworx has started a new kickstarter for resin tanks, this time themed around the Western Front of WW2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/610277926/tanks-on-the-western-front-in-28mm-by-trenchworx

Impressive that they managed to avoid the easy money route of making lots of Tigers. The tanks don't look very rare though, their Manchuria kickstarter had crazy poo poo like the early T-26es and the quad-machinegun AA truck, but everyone and their uncle makes Shermans and PzIVs.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm not sure all that many people make King Tigers either, so that might've been a useful niche.

The calliope seems unique and looking I don't think I've seen the marder or M3 much either, but everything else seems very well served by existing manufacturers. M8 maybe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The M3 White Scout Car is massively under-represented in basically all scales. For some reason it's just not a popular thing to make.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My Afrika Korps box just arrived from Warlord Games! :woop:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I agree, I don't really see myself paying 32 bucks for a resin Sherman, no matter how cool and good the company producing it is. But then I generally prefer plastics for my tanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I finished the first Vikings for our skirmish game. We're aiming at warbands with around 8-12 minis, so it's very refreshing to just be able to finish one of these in a few nights of painting.

These will probably end up as generic warband fillers once playtesting ends, as we're looking at making our own, themed, warbands. So I'm not losing sleep over getting the shields perfect or picking out every detail.

5 armoured warriors:

5 unarmoured guys:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I love the bald dude with the knife.

"Odin damned berserkers git off my turnips!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Posted a CoC AAR on the Lardies' forum here: Sidi Regezh

While I work on amassing and painting WW2 miniatures, it warms the cold, black, bitter cockles of my soul to use GW miniatures for a game that's actually good. Oh, wait, was that my Death Thread showing?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Ilor posted:

While I work on amassing and painting WW2 miniatures, it warms the cold, black, bitter cockles of my soul to use GW miniatures for a game that's actually good. Oh, wait, was that my Death Thread showing?

It pains my soul to see inaccurate miniatures being used.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Came home from work tonight and found that both my physical copy of Sharp Practice 2 and my Perry Miniatures AWI guys arrived. :toot:

Now I just need to research North Carolina regiments and start painting.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ilor posted:

The one thing that made me :stare: was five tanks. I guess you'll get a shitload of list support, but still, jeez.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

The one thing that made me :stare: was five tanks. I guess you'll get a shitload of list support, but still, jeez.
The 5-tank platoon thing is straight out of Big Chain of Command. And since pretty much all of the German Tanks are from List 5, that gives you 25 points, for a total Force Rating of +5. That's right, a platoon of Panzer IIIs is ranked below an elite PanzerGrenadier or Fallshirmjager platoon. :shrug: That gives the Brits 6 free Support pretty much from the jump (That's an A9 or A10 and a Boys Rifle Team right off the cuff. Or a 37mm Bofors AT gun and a pre-game barrage. Or a Matilda II, which substantially out-armors anything the Germans have.

We haven't played a lot with tanks yet, but unsupported by infantry I think they're going to be more fragile that you might think. You're depending on rolling an awful lot of 3s to use them effectively. But we'll see. I am treating this whole experience as a play-test.

And at this point, the Afrika Korps has to survive long enough to seize the initiative. They got pretty chewed up in the first mission.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

All fair points. I guess my experiences with tanks have primarily been cases where they've been support, which maybe makes them more versatile.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Our experiences have been that it's not a good idea to play a tank platoon against an infantry platoon in CoC. Especially not if you play early or mid war. When we want to use a tank platoon, we either play a straight up tank vs tank battle, or even better, a four player game where you get one tank platoon on each side, supporting an infantry platoon on each side.

Otherwise, once you figure out how tanks work in CoC, the tank player will just drive their tanks over any anti-tank guns on the other side, and then mop up the infantry.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ah, OK, that's good to know!

Yeah, the stage of the war was one of the things that did concern me. By late war, everybody and their brother can get panzerfausts or PIAT teams for cheap, but early on you're usually looking at list 4 for any kind of decent AT weapon. Early war tanks generally suck enough that an AT rifle at least has a shot, but by mid-war things get really dicey because the tanks are much better.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

Ah, OK, that's good to know!

Yeah, the stage of the war was one of the things that did concern me. By late war, everybody and their brother can get panzerfausts or PIAT teams for cheap, but early on you're usually looking at list 4 for any kind of decent AT weapon. Early war tanks generally suck enough that an AT rifle at least has a shot, but by mid-war things get really dicey because the tanks are much better.

We've been playing in 41, and even after dropping the cost of all AT options, tanks are still superior. Next campaign will be in 43 though, so I'm curious if that will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Has anyone had any experience ordering from CinC? It seems to be taking a long time for my order to show up and I'm getting zero response from these dudes.