Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I got to Irithyll Valley and does anyone know what's up with the ghosts that show up when you reach certain points of the level? I can't figure out why they're there as all they seem to do is just walk forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Finished up my second playthrough as a quality build this time. Rocked out the Dragonslayer's Axe as I like the moveset and look of the weapon. Of all the things I appreciated more the second time around, it was probably the music - especially the final boss theme. Nothing short of outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dNrmGD7mU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is there any trick to those fat angel motherfuckers on top of the Archives

Rapport works a treat on them.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Side Effects posted:

I got to Irithyll Valley and does anyone know what's up with the ghosts that show up when you reach certain points of the level? I can't figure out why they're there as all they seem to do is just walk forward.

pretty sure they're vort and the dancer's ghost's maybe tied to DLC later.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Ps4, solo I'm having a hard enough time getting past Storm. Looks like I saved the worst boss for last.

lol yep, I did the same thing. I was determined to beat him solo so I'd never have to worry about it again.

Honestly, King of Storms is a lot like Ancient Dragon except thankfully squishier, but similar in that having allies makes its behavior harder to predict and gives them more health and attack power. I'd suggest mastering the dragon fight solo for a while and then if you still feel like summoning, do it when you're good enough to carry most of the fight yourself.

Some of the same tips I got when i was stuck:
  • Don't hide underneath him - it'll trigger his flying fire attack more often
  • Only lock on when Nameless King tries to use lighting spear from the air
  • Stay in front of the dragon's head
  • Treat every sudden take-off from the dragon as a potential fire burst and start running immediately, preferably in the way the dragon's head is pointed. You should be able to avoid his fire 90% of the time doing this, but make sure you can survive one hit from it for that other 10%
  • His grounded fire attack where his neck snakes to the side is the best chance to hit him

...and then you have to learn an entirely different boss immediately afterwards but eventually Storm King should become an afterthought.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I wish this series had some sort of boss attack mechanic, like: after beating a boss, there's a statue of some sort you can kneel in front of, which would allow you to fight a "ghost" version of the boss that doesn't net you any souls. I beat the Dancer on my first try, and all I want to do is fight the Dancer some more, but I can only do by pumping another 20 hours into this stupid game!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The executioners, winged and vestigial, seem to take a lot of reference from the original Executioner, Smough.

Maybe that's where he went off to: Captain of the Winged rear end in a top hat League

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I fought Yorhm today as a mage and hitting him in the head with magic did more damage, but still not enough for the fight to be tolerable. Eventually he fell over and let me visceral him and when I saw the visceral didn't even do 1/10 of his health I said gently caress it and picked up the sword instead.

Nah man, direct head hits do 1/8thish of his health bar, and when he's on the ground it seems like more than double that (just keep shooting him, don't v-attk), it seems pretty fair. Be wary of not lining yourself up properly though. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDqfiNsM4zg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

I wish this series had some sort of boss attack mechanic, like: after beating a boss, there's a statue of some sort you can kneel in front of, which would allow you to fight a "ghost" version of the boss that doesn't net you any souls. I beat the Dancer on my first try, and all I want to do is fight the Dancer some more, but I can only do by pumping another 20 hours into this stupid game!

That would be pretty sweet.

There were plenty of bosses in Bloodborne I wanted to fight again immediately, and most of them would be no fun co-op so just helping other people wouldn't really do it.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Finished my first Souls game. It was very good. Ran a standard Str knight sword and board with the weapon you get from the Dark guys.

PvP still feels like a total dumpster whatever way round you do it, though. P2P connections, when you get invaded they're some dickhead who's done this a million times while you're generally exploring a new area, when you invade it's someone being chaperoned by two over-leveled phantoms from their friends list. That said I only invaded twice but both times it was instantly me vs 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do you get something for killing all three at once, or are they just like the fat dervish on the high wall?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Szcwczuk posted:

Parrying is the way to go for sure. Baring that you can try staffing on their side and get hits in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-zzHEoOyE

I'd like a video that goes over the the timings for the Painted Guardian's Curved Sword. It seems like a pretty fast parry option (with the coolest animation), but I suck at parrying so... Perseverance!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Harrow posted:

I love that there are so many explicit Demon's Souls callbacks in Dark Souls 3.

Yeah, my personal favourite is the ancient dragon greatshield, it looks just like the adjudicator's shield and shares the same HP regen. There's also a regenerator's ring (sun princess ring) and a blessed infusion that gives health regen as well. All these things have been absent ever since Demon's Souls.

Even the jailers of both games are very similar, they hold lanterns, shuffle the same way, and have an animation that one-shots you unless you stack vigor.

Those who has never played Demon's Souls really should. It is shocking how much FROM nailed it the first time round, 90% of features in DS3 are already there with the exception of covenants. The crows you trade poo poo with, the summons, invasions and fight clubs, the weapon enforcements and infusions, the UI, etc etc etc it's all there. One of the best games ever made.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lotish posted:

Do you get something for killing all three at once, or are they just like the fat dervish on the high wall?

you get a slab

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Reds that black crystal out should really give the blue an ear.

Polo-Rican posted:

Another reason why bonfire ascetics in DS2 were cool; getting to refight a harder version of a boss solo.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 6, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lotish posted:

You earn a Titanite Slab the first time all three of them die.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Polo-Rican posted:

It's not exactly the same but you could always drop a white sign outside the door and help others.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

I keep using the co op stone for Dancer. I've fought him/her at least half a dozen times now. I can't get enough, I love that fight. A host that summoned me summoned 3 (I think?) other phantoms after me, it was pretty cool. Bosses have a ton of HP when that many people are involved.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
You can't assist on a boss after beating it yourself, can you?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Melanion posted:

Yes, you can.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I farmed my sunbro coins on the archdeacons for a while.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Another reason why bonfire ascetics in DS2 were cool; getting to refight a harder version of a boss solo.

They were cool, but they were sort of inelegant and required the game to be split up into discrete chunks, which is why the individual level design tended to be so linear and modular compared to the other Souls(borne) games. I do wish they'd come back in some form, or at least something like them.

I really wonder how the Bonfire Ascetic idea came about. Was it before or after they decided that enemies would stop respawning if you killed them enough times? Was it specifically so that players willing to tackle NG+-level challenges early could get NG+-specific items? It's an interesting concept that, like a lot of interesting concepts in Souls games, wasn't implemented to its full potential.

Melanion posted:

You definitely can. It's just not quite the same as getting to fight it again solo.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Well that will teach me to believe things without evidence.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

You definitely can. It's just not quite the same as getting to fight it again solo.

not the same, but its also fun to go help people who were struggling cause im not that good at this game and have used summons for help before and it still feels great to beat the boss.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

The point is that you're not fragile in bloodborne. You can tank a bunch of hits to heal through poo poo. Dark Souls is about avoiding and mitigating damage, making you much squishier. Especially in this one, due to poise being turned off.

You have never gone through the depth 5 chalice dungeons have you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

not the same, but its also fun to go help people who were struggling cause im not that good at this game and have used summons for help before and it still feels great to beat the boss.

Oh definitely. I love being a sunbro in these games. When they added an equivalent covenant in the Bloodborne DLC I was really happy (even though it didn't really do anything special, I at least got a special title out of it :colbert:)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's a fair few interesting little concepts DS2 that I wish were expanded upon in DS3. Ascetics are one, small white soapstones are the other. Large white signs were often relegated to sitting in front of the boss gate so it was hard to find players to trudge through the level itself. Small white soapstones were the perfect answer - it was a bodyguard feature where the bodyguard would eventually return back to his world with his humanity intact after killing enough enemies, no boss kills required, and it could be used anywhere in the world regardless of player progress. It was great for players like me who wanted to regain humanity via helping players kill some mooks here and there or simply explore and progress in their world instead of camping boss gates.

It's the one feature I really miss the most in DS3.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

Oh definitely. I love being a sunbro in these games. When they added an equivalent covenant in the Bloodborne DLC I was really happy (even though it didn't really do anything special, I at least got a special title out of it :colbert:)

At least you get to squish disgusting vermin under your feet :v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Melanion posted:

Yeah I usually farm up a few extra Embers doing this before I level up after Vordt. Since that fight takes like 2 minutes and is easy as pie. You can rack up 8-10 Embers in like 30 minutes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Good source of souls too - you can sell an ember for 1k which is a big amount in the early game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a fair few interesting little concepts DS2 that I wish were expanded upon in DS3. Ascetics are one, small white soapstones are the other. Large white signs were often relegated to sitting in front of the boss gate so it was hard to find players to trudge through the level itself. Small white soapstones were the perfect answer - it was a bodyguard feature where the bodyguard would eventually return back to his world with his humanity intact after killing enough enemies, no boss kills required, and it could be used anywhere in the world regardless of player progress. It was great for players like me who wanted to regain humanity via helping players kill some mooks here and there or simply explore and progress in their world instead of camping boss gates.

It's the one feature I really miss the most in DS3.

Not only this but you could summon people from small white soapstones even if the boss is already dead.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is there any trick to those fat angel motherfuckers on top of the Archives

Rapport

efb

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, I got summoned as a Mound-builder a few times last night while working my way through the road of sacrifices and a most of them actually...worked as the covenant is alleged to work? Host and I fighting through the area side-by-side, him pulling up his shield and getting ready to fight if I so much as look at him funny, me cool as a cucumber because I have nothing to lose. Everything goes swimmingly until, for some reason, almost every host intentionally summoned Holy Knight Hodrick and sealed their fate - I can't not turn on you at this point.

I imagine this sort of thing only really works in the earlier areas of the game, though.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Deified Data posted:

Man, I got summoned as a Mound-builder a few times last night while working my way through the road of sacrifices and a most of them actually...worked as the covenant is alleged to work? Host and I fighting through the area side-by-side, him pulling up his shield and getting ready to fight if I so much as look at him funny, me cool as a cucumber because I have nothing to lose. Everything goes swimmingly until, for some reason, almost every host intentionally summoned Holy Knight Hodrick and sealed their fate - I can't not turn on you at this point.

I imagine this sort of thing only really works in the earlier areas of the game, though.

Nah, you can still be a helper later on, I got summoned plenty of times in the archives where I would walk up, they would assume I was there to duel, then I'd just walk off and start killing stuff. Risk free souls! I got like 350k souls just for dicking around in there for an hour, plus a few shackles

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Seriously the small white sign didn't disappear, it just became purple and belligerent.

I find you're a lot more likely to get summons if you place it the same way you would a small white sign from DS2, not near a bonfire but midway through the level when someone might be running out of resources. He starts to think summoning you might be a good idea like a starving man thinks eating the 50-year-old potted meat might be a good idea.

One of these days I'm going to help them through a level and black crystal out though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Seriously the small white sign didn't disappear, it just became purple and belligerent.

I find you're a lot more likely to get summons if you place it the same way you would a small white sign from DS2, not near a bonfire but midway through the level when someone might be running out of resources. He starts to think summoning you might be a good idea like a starving man thinks eating the 50-year-old potted meat might be a good idea.

One of these days I'm going to help them through a level and black crystal out though.

You're doing a good job convincing me to try making a Mound-Maker character to park in an early- or mid-game zone now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

You're doing a good job convincing me to try making a Mound-Maker character to park in an early- or mid-game zone now.

Do it. Undead Settlement and Road of Sacrifices had plenty of action. The wait is longer than straight co-op or invasions but if you plop down your sign and forget about it as you progress through the area, you'll get summoned eventually.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Rapport is so broken in this game. It doesn't work on that many enemies, but the ones it does work on it trivializes since they'll just sit there and let you kill them. And if there are other enemies around they might even take out a few for you. Rapport even has range now! "Sure friend I'll let you backstab me 5 times in a row"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Is anyone here currently playing on the PS4 version? I need help in Irithyll. Not because of difficulty, mind you, but because those spider lady things in the sewer freak me the gently caress out and I can't deal with that poo poo. I'm hanging out near the distant manor bonfire (not at the bonfire, outside the building, summons don't work by the bonfire itself).

Password is Lasertag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a fun moment where the guy I was co oping with summoned a mad phantom at random. We were then invaded by a pair of reds. I fell off a roof a little bit later, but when I did I could see the purple facing off against both reds like a champ. Proud of that madman.