Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Tortillas are not hard to make.

neither is bread or pizza, that doesn't stop people from buying machines and gimmicky tools for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Paul Zuvella posted:

also this. According to the kickstarter tortillas have been made for 10,000 years. Must be pretty loving easy then. Human make fire then domesticate corn then immediately find flat stone and make tortilla.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pomp posted:

neither is bread or pizza, that doesn't stop people from buying machines and gimmicky tools for it

Pizza is considerably harder to to make than tortillas. So is leavened bread.

You need 5 things to make tortillas.

Flour of some kind
Water
Salt
oil
A pan

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I know every time I buy a $2 package of tortillas, all I can think is "there's got to be a better way!"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i just remembered that the first time i made pizza i basically got tomato soup on top of soggy crust and spent half an hour scrubbing the stone so i rescind pizza being easy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

i just remembered that the first time i made pizza i basically got tomato soup on top of soggy crust and spent half an hour scrubbing the stone so i rescind pizza being easy

I find flattening the dough to be a chore, especially in a cramped kitchen but it's easier if you mix it with gluten poor flour, then it goes on a buttered or oiled up paper and in the oven on a grill

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I know every time I buy a $2 package of tortillas, all I can think is "there's got to be a better way!"

store bought tortillas ARE garbage, but lol at the solution being buy a 400 kitchen gadget with a tortilla pod subscription instead of taking learning a basic kitchen skill or just saying gently caress it and going to a decent mexican restaurant.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is what happens when somebody watches Shark Tank and their response to the judges refusing to sponsor a product because it doesn't have some proprietary doohickey that will let them gouge the gently caress out of the price isn't "jesus christ business people are scum" but "they're rich so obviously they're right"

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

my favourite bit is the insistence that food waste in the form of left-over tortillas is bad for the environment, but the recyclable pods somehow aren't.

What a shame that nobody has ever invented anything to do with left-over tortillas. There's got to be a better way!

chilaquiles and migas are delicious, or you can just make them into chips!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

For a monthly fee I'll send you four prepaid mailers a month. Every week you stuff your leftover tortillas in the mailer and I dispose of them in an environmentally responsible way, feeding them to ducks. Please back my kickstarter.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
What "entrepreneurs" don't realize is that Keurig was successful because it replaced a device you already used, with a similar footprint on your countertop. No one is loving the idea of a giant machine that takes up a quarter of your limited space just for making something like tortillas or juice.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Exactly. I think for the Kickstarter audience the amount of coffee they need to make daily is quite a bit higher than their tortilla requirements.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Germstore posted:

For a monthly fee I'll send you four prepaid mailers a month. Every week you stuff your leftover tortillas in the mailer and I dispose of them in an environmentally responsible way, feeding them to ducks. Please back my kickstarter.

the mailers are twice as big as regular mailers so you might have trouble posting them but they hold more stuff

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Food with DRM is a cyberpunk concept no one predicted, I'll give em that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gann Jerrod posted:

What "entrepreneurs" don't realize is that Keurig was successful because it replaced a device you already used, with a similar footprint on your countertop. No one is loving the idea of a giant machine that takes up a quarter of your limited space just for making something like tortillas or juice.

Also you probably make coffee every day. You aren't going to be making tortillas constantly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-8500...=tortilla+press

Tortilla press. $28.

No loving pods needed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Noyemi K posted:

A tortilla maker with DRM.

I sincerely doubt anyone at loving wired has ever made their own tortillas. In an infographic lower on the page, there's a very satisfying misspelling of "Campaign" I've been waiting to see.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fred-bould-nest-roku-gopro-2014-1

This is who they hired to design it, they must already have some deep pockets.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Pffft, that thing makes 8 inch tortillas of typical thickness instead of 6 inch tortillas of double thickness which is superior because- hand waving.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Germstore posted:

Pffft, that thing makes 8 inch tortillas of typical thickness instead of 6 inch tortillas of double thickness which is superior because- hand waving.

*Hank Hill voice* Taste the bread, not the filling

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
finally, a subscription based tortilla

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Gann Jerrod posted:

Man, if ~200% funded at over $100k with 27 days left is the new definition of '"idea that no-one loves", i sure wish my ideas were similarly massive loving failures!!

:smith: :(

(devil's advocate or whatever, i don't care for tortilla-bot myself)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

lorn Wayne posted:

Man, if ~200% funded at over $100k with 27 days left is the new definition of '"idea that no-one loves", i sure wish my ideas were similarly massive loving failures!!

:smith: :(

(devil's advocate or whatever, i don't care for tortilla-bot myself)

This will probably end up like The Coolest. They won't be able to produce their idiot $400 tortilla bot for the $200 Kickstarter price and make any sort of profit and no one will want one at $400, so everyone is stupid and hosed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Germstore posted:

This will probably end up like The Coolest. They won't be able to produce their idiot $400 tortilla bot for the $200 Kickstarter price and make any sort of profit and no one will want one at $400, so everyone is stupid and hosed.

They at least limited the 'early bird' cheap tortillabots to under a thousand, The Coolest didn't put any limit on their cheap Kickstarter coolers and ended up with over 60,000 people pledging for them

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually/description

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Pretty sure corn or wheat flour have much longer shelf lives too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure corn or wheat flour have much longer shelf lives too.

masa harina, gringo

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Germstore posted:

masa harina, gringo

Masa means dough, esse.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Masa means dough, esse.

and masa harina means flour dough, but it generally refers to flour made with hominy which is corn processed with slaked lime, an extremely important distinction nutritionally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guy Mann posted:

People who bring board games to bars: finally someone that the people who bring books to bars can look down on.

People who engage in social activities with their friends in bars: finally someone that the people who sit alone in bars never speaking to anyone other than the guy taking their order can look down on.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I've never actually seen someone reading a book in a bar.

If only there was some place I could read and drink but also pay a 400% markup on the drinks.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Germstore posted:

I've never actually seen someone reading a book in a bar.

If only there was some place I could read and drink but also pay a 400% markup on the drinks.

I used to go read in a bar on my lunch breaks whenever I was working in an office within reasonable proximity to a bar. Not so much in the evenings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

Genuine question, what should the Oculus people have done? Kickstarter backers aren't investors and were entitled to nothing, if anything the fact that they gave them a freebie after the buyout is above and beyond what anyone would expect from a tech startup.

give them money.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

give them money.

lol why?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't understand why they thought they should get money at all. Was that part of the deal? Why would they think that?

It seems like not only was the Kickstarter handled well, but they went above and beyond giving them the final version for free.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The entire recent VR movement was spearheaded by a guy who thinks minimum wage should be abolished, you throw your money in with silicon valley libertarian assholes and you get what you deserve.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

b-b-b-b-b-but facebook!!!!!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Busco Quadnary retard thinks he knows physics despite never being educated in physics in any way.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

laserghost posted:

Food with DRM is a cyberpunk concept no one predicted, I'll give em that

Next Shadowrun expansion sounding.....ok actually.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"This expired DRM food gave me the Shadowruns."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Pomp posted:

yeah, but we didn't have to pay for them to make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Athletic Footjob posted:

"This expired DRM food gave me the Shadowruns."