Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've noticed a lot of costumes fall apart at the feet; like the footwear never seems to sync up with the rest of the costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hemophilia posted:

I don't think I saw this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVTeuLaZH4

I don't understand Daniel Radcliffe's post-HP decision making but it's consistently weird and cool.

Im just glad we live in a world where "Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliff plays a farting corpse" is a thing that's been written

also the Daniels are a talented bunch

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Like it would bother me soooo much more if one of the characters made a snarky remark about her costume having a boob-plate...thats the worst, u gotta commit!!!!!

They did that in RPM. It was great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrTsryg_CM

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it true in the Power Rangers universe that whenever they have a giant Kaiju fight it always takes place in the "Empty Warehouse District"?

I think that was on the seasons that aired on Disney channels.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Daniel Radcliffe's post-HP decision making is "I'm in my mid-20s and have starred in one of the biggest franchises of all time and already have more money than I could ever possibly spend. However no-one in Hollywood thinks I am actually a particularly good actor or have any star power outside of Harry Potter. Therefore I will do whatever the hell I want in indie projects because who cares."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

hmmmm...ya i don't like it

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is it true in the Power Rangers universe that whenever they have a giant Kaiju fight it always takes place in the "Empty Warehouse District"?

The japanese one straight up here's your city, here's rubble falling everywhere people screaming, and the best trope is that the bad guys are always physically torturing children. Remember watching the pilot for Zubat and it was just a kid and his Mom tied up getting caned

I love these shows

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Acne Rain posted:

Both seem to be trying to revitalize a campy property by being as serious and modern as possible and ending up creating a boring flop

Well, the more serious parts of FF (the body horror, Reed being a socially awkward dick, Doom's murders) are pretty well done, and if anything, the movie could have stood to be more serious instead of turning into a really bad cartoon at the end. Taking itself seriously really isn't one of the film's (numerous) problems.

But also we don't know anything about the tone of the Power Rangers movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

But also we don't know anything about the tone of the Power Rangers movie.

I could have sworn there were quotes from the filmmakers about it being "darker and more serious".

Edit: Found what I was remembering. When the previous costume was posted, there was a quote saying the movie was "a modern and edgy re-imagining". Since there has never been an "edgy re-imagining" that turned out well, I think it's safe to say the movie is doomed.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 6, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

I could have sworn there were quotes from the filmmakers about it being "darker and more serious".

Saban seemed to react pretty negatively to the dark/serious power/rangers though, and he's still ep.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: Found what I was remembering. When the previous costume was posted, there was a quote saying the movie was "a modern and edgy re-imagining". Since there has never been an "edgy re-imagining" that turned out well, I think it's safe to say the movie is doomed.

I don't expect it to be good but I also don't think pre release marketing hype is a useful indicator of how the film will actually feel at all.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I don't expect it to be good but I also don't think pre release marketing hype is a useful indicator of how the film will actually feel at all.

I'm still looking forward to seeing a trailer for this. I'll watch it, but unless the trailer really wows me I'm not paying theater money for it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Batman '66 did it better. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The costumes would instantly be better if they didn't have boob plate and heels. I'm not sure who the audience is for this movie. It seems to be a straight reboot of the original US series, but one of the staples of Power Rangers has been its revolving door of cast members and lack of continuity between seasons. I don't know that the nostalgia is strong enough that people in their 30s are going to demand that the Pink Ranger be a girl named Kimberly who flies around in a Pterodactyl Zord. I know I'm not planning on seeing it. Certainly 8-14 year olds aren't going to give a poo poo since they weren't even alive when the original series aired.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atlas Hugged posted:

The costumes would instantly be better if they didn't have boob plate and heels. I'm not sure who the audience is for this movie. It seems to be a straight reboot of the original US series, but one of the staples of Power Rangers has been its revolving door of cast members and lack of continuity between seasons. I don't know that the nostalgia is strong enough that people in their 30s are going to demand that the Pink Ranger be a girl named Kimberly who flies around in a Pterodactyl Zord. I know I'm not planning on seeing it. Certainly 8-14 year olds aren't going to give a poo poo since they weren't even alive when the original series aired.

The costumes are designed to appeal to adults who weren't fans of the original TV series

production designer Andrew Menzies posted:

"You can’t win everyone over, but we are trying to appeal to a more mature audience and gain new fans.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/05/power-rangers-reboot-new-suits-first-look

Because, y'know, trying to appeal to the fanbase which already exists or the age demographic the original was pitched at wouldn't make any sense at all.

Edit: just in case people thought I was being 100% serious I'll point out that adults who still have an invested interest in PW and fans who are actual children would only make up a tiny tiny tiny percentage of the people who buy movie tickets

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 6, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well then maybe this is a terrible idea for a movie in the year of our Lord 2016.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: just in case people thought I was being 100% serious I'll point out that adults who still have an invested interest in PW and fans who are actual children would only make up a tiny tiny tiny percentage of the people who buy movie tickets
Couldn't we have said the same about Transformers?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

Couldn't we have said the same about Transformers?

I'm almost certain we said the same thing about the $3.78 billion Transformers film franchise.

Edit: also don't forget they've announced release dates for Transformers 5, 6 and 7.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/transformers-sequels-dated-for-2017-2018-2019-1201701360/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 6, 2016

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chairman Capone posted:

Blues Brothers is getting a cartoon show spinoff.

Well, if you can't make Ghostbusters III...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

yeah, Transformers worked, blues Brothers doesn't really work with all the Chicago jazz legends dead

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like Blue Brothers isn't all that popular; it's just something people know about.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Why watch power rangers as an adult when this exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazlEr6pIMk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like Blue Brothers isn't all that popular; it's just something people know about.

The original reached cult status and has a small but super loyal following. One of my local theatres was showing it monthly with people in costume acting out the roles in front of the screen and audience members bringing props to throw at the screen (they all brought toast for the diner scene), I went once and it was like a crazy cult.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
thats the saddest thing ive ever heard

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

tanglewood1420 posted:

Daniel Radcliffe's post-HP decision making is "I'm in my mid-20s and have starred in one of the biggest franchises of all time and already have more money than I could ever possibly spend. However no-one in Hollywood thinks I am actually a particularly good actor or have any star power outside of Harry Potter. Therefore I will do whatever the hell I want in indie projects because who cares."

The Elijah Wood model.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Guys, we've been over this. This is Dan Aykroyd here. There's nothing more to this "project" than a couple of crazy scripts in his desk, which is actually a piece of plywood propped up on crates full of skull-shaped vodka bottles no one wants. He can't talk about Ghostbusters III anymore so he invented this instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Batman '66 did it better. :colbert:

That remains the best batmobile.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Antti posted:

Guys, we've been over this. This is Dan Aykroyd here. There's nothing more to this "project" than a couple of crazy scripts in his desk, which is actually a piece of plywood propped up on crates full of skull-shaped vodka bottles no one wants. He can't talk about Ghostbusters III anymore so he invented this instead.
We lost a round of trivia because I thought his vodka was called crystal skull vodka, since that's you know, what it logically should be called.

Crystal Head.

Man, if you for whatever reason can't legally call it crystal skull, you come up with a new gimmick.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

RBA Starblade posted:

That remains the best batmobile.

It's just so sexy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

thats the saddest thing ive ever heard

Actually despite the misleading name, Blues Brothers is a comedy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

tanglewood1420 posted:

Fixed this for you, because I don't think Hollywood thinks he's a bad actor or has no draw outside of HP. He's just in the supremely comfortable position of not having to work for the money and can do what he enjoys.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His reputation was solidified in Equus. I feel like it hasn't diminished since then. The similarities to Elijah Wood are pretty striking, as mentioned. I like both these actors and it pleases me they do fun projects. Neither one is leading man material (they're tiny little humans after all) but interesting quirky actors I enjoy seeing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't Daniel Radcliffe like completely average size? I don't think he's tiny like leading man RDJ or Kevin Hart.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Isn't Daniel Radcliffe like completely average size?

I dunno, I never saw that stage play he did.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a common misconception. He wasn't in that play, he was in a Hyundai Equus

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

Isn't Daniel Radcliffe like completely average size? I don't think he's tiny like leading man RDJ or Kevin Hart.

If Google is to be believed, he's a little less than 5'5".

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MacheteZombie posted:

This is a pretty good joke

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Adam McKay is going to direct an adaptation of Irredeemable, which is a comic book about basically Superman going crazy and killing everyone. The comic actually starts off pretty good, though about 20ish issues in you can see where they ran out of ideas and added some weird filler fluff until they ended the series at a number that just shows they didn't plan anything, 37, with a conclusion that was ridiculous but somehow worked even though a lot of people don't like it.

quote:

20th Century Fox has tapped into an entirely new superhero universe. The studio has acquired Irredeemable, a Boom! Comics comic book that will be adapted by Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters writer-director Tommy Wirkola as a directing vehicle for Adam McKay.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/irredeemable-movie-adam-mckay-tommy-wirkola-boom-studios-fox-1201749508/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love Adam McKay but that seems a little outside his wheelhouse.

I want a movie starring Will Ferrell that's a biopic of that guy who goes to state fairs with his "monkeys riding dogs" exhibit and gives inspirational speeches about how his life's goal, and life's dream, was to own a monkey and he achieved it through perseverance.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
How does a comic about basically Superman killing everyone even reach issue #20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grendels Dad posted:

How does a comic about basically Superman killing everyone even reach issue #20?

A lot of time is devoted on showing why he was killing people now.

Basically they just have life poo poo on him a lot.

• Locked thread