Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If anything the biggest "baggage" would be that the studio may not want Justice League even associated with a T.V. show, regardless of how good or bad it is. They may have thought it would cheapen the movie if people thought of it as a t.v./movie crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nice stuffed bra, Barry!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basebf555 posted:

If anything the biggest "baggage" would be that the studio may not want Justice League even associated with a T.V. show, regardless of how good or bad it is. They may have thought it would cheapen the movie if people thought of it as a t.v./movie crossover.

I think it makes perfect sense for TV and movies to be linked, kinda like how they were trying to do with Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD. The more people you get 'invested' into the universe, the more likely they will be to watch other things from that universe. Use the TV shows to hype up the movies, or give backstory to the movies. It's marketing AND content, rolled into one!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MacheteZombie posted:

And quit looking "vaguely ethnic"!

Why are his comments dumb? SSB didn't link the interview so I'm not sure what the exact question he's answering is, but Ezra sounds like he's taking the job seriously and whats to be a good Barry Allen.

I guess dumb in the sense that the implication is that a human, multi-dimensional take on Barry is something unique to the 2-hour movie as opposed to the multi-hour TV series. That probably wasn't his intent so maybe I'm being unfair.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think it makes perfect sense for TV and movies to be linked, kinda like how they were trying to do with Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD. The more people you get 'invested' into the universe, the more likely they will be to watch other things from that universe. Use the TV shows to hype up the movies, or give backstory to the movies. It's marketing AND content, rolled into one!

The Marvel universe started out as a unified marketing entity, though, and even then there's extremely limited crossover between films and movies. The DC TV and film universes are separate and, often, contradictory. It makes no sense to retcon one to fit the other, or shoehorn multiple redundant universes into the film reality for the sole purpose of having Stephen Amell do the salmon ladder on the big screen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Stephen Amell do the salmon ladder on the big screen.

Enough about TMNT 2 though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phylodox posted:

It makes no sense to retcon one to fit the other, or shoehorn multiple redundant universes into the film reality for the sole purpose of having Stephen Amell do the salmon ladder on the big screen.

I'm not gay but I would pay many times for this and take back any negative thoughts or words against DC comics, movies, and TV.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I guess dumb in the sense that the implication is that a human, multi-dimensional take on Barry is something unique to the 2-hour movie as opposed to the multi-hour TV series. That probably wasn't his intent so maybe I'm being unfair.

I decided to look up the interview. They don't state the question in the article but the lead in to his answer is "we asked how his version of The Flash will be different than previous versions we’ve seen. The actor didn’t reveal anything specific but gave us the impression of a more flawed character."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I don't know. Barry on the TV show is pretty flawed. He likes his secrets and the surrounding drama they cause. He's very high school about it all - fitting for the CW.

The only good characters on that show are (mostly) Cop Dad, (always) Cisco and (forever and ever) whoever Tom Cavanagh is at the moment.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 6, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Phylodox posted:

The Marvel universe started out as a unified marketing entity, though, and even then there's extremely limited crossover between films and movies. The DC TV and film universes are separate and, often, contradictory. It makes no sense to retcon one to fit the other, or shoehorn multiple redundant universes into the film reality for the sole purpose of having Stephen Amell do the salmon ladder on the big screen.

Sorry I worded my post a little weird. I'm aware that the DC TV and film universes are currently separate, I'm just suggesting it would be more profitable overall if they weren't. One thing I always really enjoyed about comics growing up is that all the stories were taking place in the same universe. It was all contributing to the same overall lore. It's pretty obvious that a big part of MCU's success is this concept.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't know. Barry on the TV show is pretty flawed. He likes his secrets and the surrounding drama they cause. He's very high school about it all - fitting for the CW.

The only good characters on that show are (mostly) Cop Dad, (always) Cisco and (forever and ever) whoever Tom Cavanagh is at the moment.

I agree with most of this post. I find Barry's flaws to be very superficial though. His biggest personal flaw, and only "deep" flaw imo, is always seeking a father figure and approval from older men.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm not gay but I would pay many times for this and take back any negative thoughts or words against DC comics, movies, and TV.

But why dilute it by having it in an ensemble movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I agree with most of this post. I find Barry's flaws to be very superficial though. His biggest personal flaw, and only "deep" flaw imo, is always seeking a father figure and approval from older men.

Oh, so that's why they twinked him out for the movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sorry I worded my post a little weird. I'm aware that the DC TV and film universes are currently separate, I'm just suggesting it would be more profitable overall if they weren't. One thing I always really enjoyed about comics growing up is that all the stories were taking place in the same universe. It was all contributing to the same overall lore. It's pretty obvious that a big part of MCU's success is this concept.

This is absolutely not true at all. Not about your youth I mean, but abotu the MCU. The practical application of these shows themselves demonstrate how wrong you are abotu them contributing to the cinemaspace success.

quote:

When I created the television show, it was sort of on the understanding that this can work and we can do it with integrity, but these Avengers movies are for people to see the Avengers movies and nothing else.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

This is absolutely not true at all. Not about your youth I mean, but abotu the MCU. The practical application of these shows themselves demonstrate how wrong you are abotu them contributing to the cinemaspace success.

So you don't think the movies contributed to the success of the tv shows either? I use the word 'success' loosely. My point is that they created a single universe spanning multiple properties. Every movie and tv show and comic about it contributes to someones overall investment in it, and makes them more likely to consume future media in that universe. If every Marvel movie took place in its own universe, it would not be nearly as successful.

I never would have watched Agents of SHIELD if I hadn't seen Avengers. I'm not saying I liked Agents of SHIELD, but they did get ratings out of me that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

So you don't think the movies contributed to the success of the tv shows either? I use the word 'success' loosely. My point is that they created a single universe spanning multiple properties. Every movie and tv show and comic about it contributes to someones overall investment in it, and makes them more likely to consume future media in that universe. If every Marvel movie took place in its own universe, it would not be nearly as successful.

I think the Marvel/Disney brand had more to do with it than a shared continuity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its the reason why Coulson is apparently really going to stay dead in the movies. They really don't want to force people to have to watch the show to get the whole story, they want the movies to 100% stand on their own.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wasn't it the Russo's who laughed when asked if they knew any of the plots from AoS? I remember there being a quote about the fish oil.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 6, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basebf555 posted:

Its the reason why Coulson is apparently really going to stay dead in the movies. They really don't want to force people to have to watch the show to get the whole story, they want the movies to 100% stand on their own.

But the Coulson reveal is exactly what got people excited about Agents of SHIELD. That's what made the show cool!

MacheteZombie posted:

I think the Marvel/Disney brand had more to do with it than a shared continuity.

Can't it be both? I mean, every movie starring a Marvel character that isn't part of the Marvel cinematic universe (Fantastic 4, Amazing Spider-man, etc.) has failed. I realize other studios did those movies, but that still doesn't account for The Incredible Hulk which also failed. It also happens to be the only movie in phase one that doesn't have any real ties to he rest of the MCU

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 6, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

Haha, yeah. The god tier advertising and coke/pepsi/McDonald's levels of consumer branding.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How can we adapt our movie franchises of super powered awesome people to the small screen? Make an ensemble cast of boring paperwork pushers and Alias level espionage. Now everyone has super powers or something? Agents of Shield is bad and has way too many episodes per season. Making a show of D-listers isn't exactly a great idea.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
AoS has Quake, and a decent story for her so I keep watching.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Two to three people are now "everyone".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

But the Coulson reveal is exactly what got people excited about Agents of SHIELD. That's what made the show cool!

Can't it be both? I mean, every movie starring a Marvel character that isn't part of the Marvel cinematic universe (Fantastic 4, Amazing Spider-man, etc.) has failed. I realize other studios did those movies, but that still doesn't account for The Incredible Hulk which also failed. It also happens to be the only movie in phase one that doesn't have any real ties to he rest of the MCU

Uh

You do know that Deadpool is one of the most successful super hero movies ever, and he is both a Marvel character AND not helmed by Disney.

Also the Incredible Hulk was made before Disney bought Marvel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I never would have watched Agents of SHIELD if I hadn't seen Avengers. I'm not saying I liked Agents of SHIELD, but they did get ratings out of me that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Each marvel movie kinda does take place in their own universe, though, they just use the characters over again. Every big plot or interesting character development advancement gets tossed by the wayside come the next movie.

Of course, I haven't seen Civil War yet, so I don't really know what it pulls in from previous movies.

And no, I absolutely do not believe the AoS show contributed in any way to the success of the future films (from the airing of the show). And the pretty good Netflix shows are, again, isolated from the cinema side of things, borrowing only incredibly superficially certain keywords or plot elements. Which is fine and all, but it doesn't contribute in any way to anything else's success outside of that network's programming.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 6, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

My point is its not a two-way street. The t.v. show is allowed to draw on the movies but the movies don't seem to, under any circumstances have any association with the show. That's definitely by design, as that quote from earlier on the page shows.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Burkion posted:

Uh

You do know that Deadpool is one of the most successful super hero movies ever, and he is both a Marvel character AND not helmed by Disney.

Don't forget the X-Men movies.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

X-Men movies have been definitely been more hit than miss.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

This is true but I can't help but feel like this is the exception that proves the rule. Also it had like 10 years of blood, sweat and tears poured into it, and really clever marketing, on top of being an actual good movie.

Burkion posted:

It's still a phase one MCU movie, and the one everybody suggests you skip.

Drifter posted:

And no, I absolutely do not believe the AoS show contributed in any way to the success of the future films (from the airing of the show).

Fair enough, you could very well be right. But I think that if they went all-in on the concept, it could have.

Equeen posted:

Don't forget the X-Men movies.

Hobo Clown posted:

X-Men movies have been definitely been more hit than miss.

Yeah I guess you're right, I really enjoyed Days of Future Past. I still have the sour taste of X3 and Wolverine Origins in my mouth though

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 6, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

It's still a phase one MCU movie, and the one everybody suggests you skip.

The Norton Hulk made almost 300 million dollars (not adjusting for inflation) and was actually pretty decent. It's the lowest grossing MCU movie, but I doubt that most studios would say that their first franchise movie grossing 300 million is a failure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Norton Hulk made almost 300 million dollars (not adjusting for inflation) and was actually pretty decent. It's the lowest grossing MCU movie, but I doubt that most studios would say that their first franchise movie grossing 300 million is a failure.

Marvel must have considered a success, at least internally, they wanted to keep Norton and when they couldn't get him back, they kept the movie in the MCU anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Right up until the kinda boring climax the Norton Hulk is a very solid movie. Tim Roth is a great villain.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Let's take this to its logical conclusion and simply make everything equally canon henceforth.

Mutants in the MCU! Onscreen text can tell you what comic(s) to read, and it'll be nearly as good as seeing Wolverine up there on the screen.

"If you'd like to see what Fantastic Four are up to, press 'pause' now, and turn to page 84."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Right up until the kinda boring climax the Norton Hulk is a very solid movie. Tim Roth is a great villain.

Agreed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It really is a shame it's one of the worst climaxes of all time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

Marvel must have considered a success, at least internally, they wanted to keep Norton and when they couldn't get him back, they kept the movie in the MCU anyway.

Apparently the issue with Norton is that he wanted a bunch of extra scenes and rewrites in the Incredible Hulk, Marvel said no, then he demanded they do it again. So, they filmed a bunch of new scenes and then cut them all out of the final movie. Norton got mad and wanted script approval to appear in the Avengers and that was a no-go at Marvel, so he walked.

Plus, Universal somehow still has distribution rights to any solo Hulk movie, so Disney didn't want to make any more solo Hulk films until they could secure the rights back.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 6, 2016

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Of the best Marvel movies, only one (First Avenger) was made by Disney and it still isn't as good as Ang Lee's Hulk.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Tim Roth is a great villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfgmvMHc4us

Was good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looking back, I kinda wonder what would be different in The Avengers if Edward Norton had script approval rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The framing of the first two encounters between Roth and the Hulk is really interesting, and it's even more baffling in retrospect that they were setups for the eventual payoff of ... that

• Locked thread