Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags

I am a congenital optimist.
use this thread to share those wonderful memories about when you first discovered BYOB!

i was exploring the abandoned home in the middle of the shrieking forest when i found a small grey riddle box with a note attached that said "byob" upon it, in a crude handwritten comic sans style, surrounded by piles and piles of hosed up tiny dog bones. after a drop of each of the four humors were placed upon it's lid, i gained access and made my first post in the blue forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salmiakki

i remember it like it was yesterday. i was walkin outside when i was abducted by a masked man with a weed rear end hat

ive been trying to escape for close to two years now. the food im given from under the door is always arranged to say something about chilling and the messages are getting increasingly aggressive please help

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

yeah actually they will
I used to work at a betting shop, in the middle of Dublin. Pretty easy work, aside from the occasional trouble customer. This happened during the cheltenham festival, which any other bookies workers will know is one of the biggest horse racing festivals of the year. The shop was packed, people all crammed together in the middle of the floor, just SCREAMING bloody murder at the screens, and throwing tiny bookie pens at the counter whenever they lost [which was often]. Most of the customers were the same type, late 50s early 60s bearded guys wearing old coats and hats indoors, but that day during the height of cheltenham a younger looking guy came in.

he was wearing a baseball cap with a small green weed leaf on it and text reading "The weed rear end", and a black t-shirt with text reading "Comic Sans" in the helvetica font. Also he was holding a really big cardboard sign with "BYOB: THE CHILL FORM" written on it in pink glitter gel marker with little stars drawn around it. It was so big he wasn't able to get it through the door the first time he tried, he ended up having to hold it at a weird slant just to fit it through the doorway. He didn't make eye contact with me or any of the customers, he just shuffled into the middle of the shop and cleared his throat.

He sort of half-raised the cardboard sign weakly above his head and whispered [I could barely hear this at the time] "H-h-hurf de d-uh, durf..." while looking around back and forth to see if anyone was reacting. He looked really scared like he wanted someone to say something but at the same time was terrified that someone would. As he wsa looking back and forth he accidentally brushed against a customer and knocked their hat onto the floor. The customer didn't look angry or anything - just sort of surprised - but they still looked really mortified from what they'd done and they let go of the sign and powerwalked out of the shop while mumbling apologies. he was holding the sign at an angle when he released it so it was still wafting to the ground as he left. A few of the customers nearby stood in silence and watched it as it drifted to the ground. I registered my forums account later that day

City of Glompton

I was surfing the internet at midnight and I came upon a young man crying. as I approached, I noticed a strange greenish glow enveloping him. I asked him what was wrong, and he shuddered before letting out an earth-shattering howl of anguish, "I thought this was the chill forum!"

the next thing I can recall is that I awoke safe in my own bed. it was morning, and surely the night before was nothing but a dream. then I noticed my search history led to the Something Awful Comedy Gas Chamber.

after years of careful research, I am certain that night I encountered a variant of the Sea Hag, only this one seemed to originate from the bowels of the forums--a lost soul jettisoned from the blue forum, cursed to haunt the internet with his plaintive keening until the end of days.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DDRD (Imp Zone) and P/C was cool but I started smoking weed again in the summer of '14 and thought BYOB would be a good place to post after getting lit. The first thread I ever clicked on and laughed at was the "what if coach z was a racist" thread. Participated in the av thread and because I was a 'yob newbie, chairman meow gave me an av cert. From there, I slowly started to only post in BYOB with the very occasional posts in P/C and DDRD.

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 6, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
one night i detected a peculiar smell coming from my old wardrobe and when opening it found tiny wafts of what i can now only assume was marijuana smoke emanating from the clothes hanging within. Upon further investigation i found a magical portal to a strange land which beckoned to me, drawing me into the wardrobe and through the portal where i was greeted by a small woodland creature who was smoking a crude "bong". I've been desperately trying to find my way home ever since...

:ohdear:

social vegan

i cliked it by accident but i posted on purpose

Slugnoid

I don't remember, I assume I just gravitated towards the chill blue hole

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
One dark night I was hitting the bong AND THE BONG HIT BACK. I thought I was starting out the evening with a simple packing of the bowl, but it turns out I was the one who would be packing, because after that fateful bong hit I saw a glimmer out of the corner of my eye, when I turned to look my bags were packed in a neat little pile and the world had changed to a pastel palette of chill!

I've been here ever since, walking around in circles enjoying the second hand contact high from the puffy cannanimbulus clouds that follow me everywhere

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
the first thing i remember from byob was in the old byob when the op asked for posters to help with his gf's bday card

someone found a drawing of a buff naked man with a cake with candles on his rear end, and the op made a card out of that

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 6, 2016

----------------

Kobold eBooks

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I was doing my morning routine, slapping in my game 'E-ZEAO' and preparing to do the moves alongside the main character, Corporal Falcom when he came onscreen. He was doing nothing but holding a bong and smoking weed.

I reached into the screen and slapped his face and yelled "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES, CORPORAL FALCOM", but when I withdrew my hand from the tv screen it was holding a bong. When I smoked the bong, I found the weed was so harsh that I coughed, and as I coughed the smoke started to coalesce into a humanoid form. Made out of smoke and fire, it bellowed in my mind, "I AM THE SPIRIT OF THE BONG, YOU HAVE AWOKEN ME FROM MY SLUMBER, AND SO I WILL GRANT YOU A WISH, BUT NOTHING TOO HARD, I'M REALLY LIT RIGHT NOW LMAO AND I DUNNO IF I CAN EVEN DO MATH ANYMORE" and after a few moments I decided.

I made my wish.

"Spirit of the bong!" I entreated, "I wish that I had a place to chill online!"

"JUST GO POST IN BYOB, YOU IDIOT." And the spirit vanished.

bacalou

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El27YkIr-PM

mags

Some fine memories in here. Great posts guys.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

no they will not posted:

I used to work at a betting shop, in the middle of Dublin. Pretty easy work, aside from the occasional trouble customer. This happened during the cheltenham festival, which any other bookies workers will know is one of the biggest horse racing festivals of the year. The shop was packed, people all crammed together in the middle of the floor, just SCREAMING bloody murder at the screens, and throwing tiny bookie pens at the counter whenever they lost [which was often]. Most of the customers were the same type, late 50s early 60s bearded guys wearing old coats and hats indoors, but that day during the height of cheltenham a younger looking guy came in.

he was wearing a baseball cap with a small green weed leaf on it and text reading "The weed rear end", and a black t-shirt with text reading "Comic Sans" in the helvetica font. Also he was holding a really big cardboard sign with "BYOB: THE CHILL FORM" written on it in pink glitter gel marker with little stars drawn around it. It was so big he wasn't able to get it through the door the first time he tried, he ended up having to hold it at a weird slant just to fit it through the doorway. He didn't make eye contact with me or any of the customers, he just shuffled into the middle of the shop and cleared his throat.

He sort of half-raised the cardboard sign weakly above his head and whispered [I could barely hear this at the time] "H-h-hurf de d-uh, durf..." while looking around back and forth to see if anyone was reacting. He looked really scared like he wanted someone to say something but at the same time was terrified that someone would. As he wsa looking back and forth he accidentally brushed against a customer and knocked their hat onto the floor. The customer didn't look angry or anything - just sort of surprised - but they still looked really mortified from what they'd done and they let go of the sign and powerwalked out of the shop while mumbling apologies. he was holding the sign at an angle when he released it so it was still wafting to the ground as he left. A few of the customers nearby stood in silence and watched it as it drifted to the ground. I registered my forums account later that day

----------------

drilldo squirt

I remember unironic tier lists and bwee.

----------------

MrWillsauce

no

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
i dont remember anyones names but my heart longs for the past. truly the internet holds a new kind of relics. It is bitter sweet, and it was nothing but the exchange of data. I'm sorry, I must shy away from this thread, it is too heavy on my heart, this machine.

Salmiakki

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

tao of lmao

the first time i saw byob it was pink

google THIS

MrWillsauce

oh yeah I remember now I made a guy fieri thread and there were some good jokes in it and I had a hearty chuckle but it was rightfully gassed. that was my first thread

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
i met a traveler from an antique forum who said,

two vast and trunkless threads of shitposts stand in the desert
near them on the sand a shattered hammock cat lies
whose smile and chill tell that it's poster well those passions read
which yet survive stamped on these lifeless things
the paws that packed the bowl, and the lung which fed

and on the pedestal these words appear:
My name is Fluffieduckie, mod of yob,
look on my forum, ye posters, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
of that colossal megathread, boundless and lovely
the lone and level sands stretch far away

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
I remember it like it was yesterday...

I don't remember yesterday :smith:

drilldo squirt

tao of lmao posted:

the first time i saw byob it was pink

Are you sure that wasn't fyad?

----------------

SIDS Vicious

no they will not posted:

Same

nael
I remember a thread, actually a couple years before I registered, where some guy got fired from Walmart and was calling Walmarts all over the country and just saying whatever everyone posted. The first post in 2007 BYOB was what would be a typical first post in 2015 GBS. The guy was just repeating to a very confused Walmart cashier that he was gay in a deep creepy nerd voice. "This is a good forum" I thought to myself.

RATS!

no

Android Blues

drilldo squirt posted:

I remember unironic tier lists and bwee.

i knew that the tier lists must have at one point been unironic but it's sobering to think that this was a time in living memory and not a relic of our ancestors

Android Blues

i arrived after that dark period, of course, after a time one night when i took a lot of sleeping pills and woke up here. it's sometimes odd to me how various byob posters (like "Harsh Dad" and "endless bottomless noncho's", who is gluttonous) seem to symbolise my various indiscretions and weaknesses of character in life but i guess that's just the vibe

Android Blues

you have to develop a posting style based around adapting to a community that seems oddly reminiscent of your sins and just kind of ignore the occasional (gassed? they always seem to vanish after a few moments) thread with a title like "darling please wake up" or "you're here forever"

tao of lmao

drilldo squirt posted:

Are you sure that wasn't fyad?

from the SAclopedia

quote:

Posted by Hood Ornament on June 14, 2006
For its first few hours, BYOB was named FYAD: Casual Encounters. The FYAD thread by Lowtax (since moved to BYOB) brimmed with FYAD regulars bemoaning the forum's existance, because it shared not only the FYAD name, but FYAD's CSS sheet, as well - same colours, voting system, flags, and so forth.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

In my attic there is a painting of me that never posted in byob and is also more successful than I am

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I had just gotten off my shift at the Metallica Factory and was heading home to have sex with my wife when a ghostly apparition appeared before me, and said, "Stop being cool... Become gay... Post in the chill forum." Its voice stuck in my memory. Before long, I became so uncool that I lost my job at the Metallica Factory. I became so gay that my beautiful wife of 69 years left me forever. I started posting in BYOB so often that my fingers bled.

These days my mind is filled with thoughts like, "Haha, look at that cat up there! He's just sitting in his hammock." I am at peace.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

mags

Peace is good. Glad you are with us.

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
drilldo squirt

tao of lmao posted:

from the SAclopedia

I wasn't here for that sadly.

----------------

drilldo squirt

blaise rascal posted:

I had just gotten off my shift at the Metallica Factory and was heading home to have sex with my wife when a ghostly apparition appeared before me, and said, "Stop being cool... Become gay... Post in the chill forum." Its voice stuck in my memory. Before long, I became so uncool that I lost my job at the Metallica Factory. I became so gay that my beautiful wife of 69 years left me forever. I started posting in BYOB so often that my fingers bled.

These days my mind is filled with thoughts like, "Haha, look at that cat up there! He's just sitting in his hammock." I am at peace.

Dude do you even know that cat's name?

----------------

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

drilldo squirt posted:

Dude do you even know that cat's name?
Haha, don't I ever! *looks around nervously, starts to sweat*

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Justin Godscock

Listen here, funnyman!
or was it byob discovered me?

*bong hit*

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

blaise rascal posted:

Haha, don't I ever! *looks around nervously, starts to sweat*

Personally, I forgot.

----------------

• Locked thread