Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
omg that truck is gnarly.

edit: drat new page will post after work.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Holy poo poo.. :fap:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just read up on why there was no DB8 (it's the DB9) and it is precisely the kind of thinking you'd expect from an eccentric running a luxury car company.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is it wrong I like the DB4 more than the 5 simply because of the lights?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

fyodor posted:

I just read up on why there was no DB8 (it's the DB9) and it is precisely the kind of thinking you'd expect from an eccentric running a luxury car company.

Pray go on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't think it's really up for debate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

glyph posted:

Pray go on.

Aston worried that if they called it the DB8 people would be concerned that it only had a V8, as opposed to a V12, the Proper number of cylinders.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

Wouldn't be as bad as selling an MR2 in France.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Memento posted:

Aston worried that if they called it the DB8 people would be concerned that it only had a V8, as opposed to a V12, the Proper number of cylinders.

And, despite having done so for the previous 7 models, he felt that going from 7->8 indicated only refinement of the previous model and didn't properly suggest the leap forward the DB8-uh-9 was meant to be. It's Aston's Windows 10.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

To be fair, Microsoft has a legitimate excuse for skipping windows 9. A lot of software identifies windows 95 and 98 as windows 9 (to save time since they are compatible). That software wouldn't work correctly on an OS called windows 9.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus their biggest competitor has been at version 10 for 15 years. They got a lot of catching up to do!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

To be fair, Microsoft has a legitimate excuse for skipping windows 9. A lot of software identifies windows 95 and 98 as windows 9 (to save time since they are compatible). That software wouldn't work correctly on an OS called windows 9.

Yeah but also that is really dumb.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrYenko posted:

If this doesn't elicit an instant and immediate erection, you may want to consider leaving AI altogether.

It's alright, not really that amazing

Now here's the erection

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also they knew people would mock it by calling it Windows Nein. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I've seen this talked to death, and this is not the venue for it, but I'm not aware of there being any OS check baked into the OS that returns "Windows 9x" in any form. Windows 9x was major version 4, I think. 2k and XP were 5, Vista was 6, 7 was 6.1, etc.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Hnnnnnnnggggg
:circlefap:

(I will own a single-mirror coupe one day. I can't believe I didn't buy one when I had the chance.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it looks ridiculous but that's just me. I like the mirrors lower.

Also not a fan of those rims. If you're gonna copy rims off another car, at least do it properly.

That's me, judging minutiae on cars I will never be able to afford. :colbert:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Raluek posted:

I've seen this talked to death, and this is not the venue for it, but I'm not aware of there being any OS check baked into the OS that returns "Windows 9x" in any form. Windows 9x was major version 4, I think. 2k and XP were 5, Vista was 6, 7 was 6.1, etc.

You're thinking of the Windows NT OS versions, Windows NT 4 (and not Windows 98) was the direct ancestor to Windows 2000, whose version was 5, etc. The 9x & ME windows were a different line of ancestry. And yeah, there is a shitload of (mostly garbage java) code out there that runs a version check that matches a string starting with "Windows 9" and assumes it's running on windows 9x.

Also it's May so have some bitchin' pictures of Arie Luyendyk's incredible hair / Indycars

Yeah that's a Chrysler LeBaron pace car :getin:
(old Gasoline Alley)

this is the car he set the IMS track records in, which still stand today. Apple was one of his sponsors, which, can you imagine that now?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The OS version was 4 in that era. It's just marketing claptrap to skip 9.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

So 80s it hurts.

Just listen to Beat It in your head while you look at this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EightBit posted:

The OS version was 4 in that era. It's just marketing claptrap to skip 9.

As a previous poster already explained, it's garbage code from third parties that checks for "Windows 9*" and assumes it's running on 95/98. Windows' entire marketing case is that it knows how to handle legacy software, so handling that wrong would be a massive problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Linedance posted:

:golfclap:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

As a previous poster already explained, it's garbage code from third parties that checks for "Windows 9*" and assumes it's running on 95/98. Windows' entire marketing case is that it knows how to handle legacy software, so handling that wrong would be a massive problem.

I've never seen software do that (there aren't any API calls that would return "Windows 98" or "Windows 9" and it's not even really in the registry) and you're making the assumption that garbage software even bothers to check. For someone that has done lots of Windows programming, this just looks like a poorly thought out excuse to avoid having to grasp even more inscrutable marketing logic.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I've seen less retarded derails in PYF. Good lord.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

I've never seen software do that (there aren't any API calls that would return "Windows 98" or "Windows 9" and it's not even really in the registry) and you're making the assumption that garbage software even bothers to check. For someone that has done lots of Windows programming, this just looks like a poorly thought out excuse to avoid having to grasp even more inscrutable marketing logic.

Yeah I have always wondered about that statement. All of the WinAPI functions for checking current version return version structs that don't have the marketing name in it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Declaring bankruptcy on the 7k unread posts; pretend I autocrossed in this as penance :getin:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I have always wondered about that statement. All of the WinAPI functions for checking current version return version structs that don't have the marketing name in it.

https://searchcode.com/?q=if(version%2Cstartswith(%22windows+9%22)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Oh gently caress, I wasn't thinking Java. No wonder.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

That's actively faulty logic and shouldn't be Microsoft's support problem. Cutting off poo poo software like that should be a boon, as supporting it makes headaches for people down the road.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Wow, this car stuff sure is awesome. Oh wait...

There we go.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Agreed, Java should go in the horrible failures thread.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2016

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not sure where to put this. Hail satan.

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

It looks as though the driver is trying to say "Missed it by that much..."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a split-second before he finishes giving a thumbs-up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lightbulb Out posted:

Not sure where to put this. Hail satan.

SATAN here probably makes Crunchberries for a living. Those things will destroy the roof of your mouth.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Declaring bankruptcy on the 7k unread posts; pretend I autocrossed in this as penance :getin:

But have you ever autocrossed your black Saturn Astra? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Godholio posted:

It's a split-second before he finishes giving a thumbs-up.

And mere moments before entering a coma.