Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

More Fireblades and Hurricanes and Blackbirds please.

Totally agree with this.* A real name, even if it doesn't make any sense, has a *snaps fingers* certain something, a presence to it that even legendary alphabet soups like GSX-R x or CBRxRR or RxGS can't match. I don't think the Germans or Austrians have ever done anything but engineering codes. Cars are the same. Oh this BMW 318 is an E46 you say, how fascinating. I think I'd rather have a Jaguar Invincible Empress Sir Roger Gilbert Bannister Edition, thanks. Kudos to Japan then for dropping this MT-09 or FJ-09 stupidity from 2017 and calling it the Tracer 700 and 900 in both markets - or so I understand. Who knows, maybe it's the Ginger Daffodil Philosophy 900 in Japan.

* I agree with the sentiment, but the Fireblade, Hurricance and Blackbird are all CBR alphabet soup flavours. But they do have names.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are bikes, the sohc cb750 is one I believe, where you can put an oil cooler inline with an oil return line since some of the oil lines are external

Just because it's external doesn't make it a good place, although I know it's a common mod on that bike - perhaps mostly because the DOHC has one? But also because 1970s. There are external lines on my bike as well, one runs between the pump and the head, so if I tap oil off it, I am draining precious blood pressure away from my cams. With a SOHC CB750 my initial point stands, sorta - better to love it for what it is, or get another bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I'm fine with whatever names bikes have, as long as they have names. In America my bike is a Hawk GT; in Japan it's a Bros 650 (because they made a 400 and a 650, you see, and those bikes were like "brothers", so :japan: ) but either one is better than "NT650".

Giving an emotionally-laden vehicle like a motorcycle a simple numerical code is such a cold, calculating, German thing to do.

And yet nobody prefers the Gladius to the SV650.

Also the worst offenders re: alphabet soup names aren't the Germans, it's Harley. What the gently caress is an FLDXQPRSTUV? Why do Harley owners use those dumb 20 letter long trim codes?

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 6, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm fine with whatever names bikes have, as long as they have names. In America my bike is a Hawk GT; in Japan it's a Bros 650 (because they made a 400 and a 650, you see, and those bikes were like "brothers", so :japan: ) but either one is better than "NT650".

Giving an emotionally-laden vehicle like a motorcycle a simple numerical code is such a cold, calculating, German thing to do.

Agreed completely. I'm glad the zrx at least has the memorable "Z-Rex" moniker that I can pretend is a name.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is fun to discuss because inevitably all bike manufacturers are alphabet soup nazis AND have cool names which are ALSO stupid. And it depends on the receiver. I hate marketing but I love its effects.

HotCanadianChick posted:

And yet nobody prefers the Gladius to the SV650.

Is it because of the name though? The name which of course belongs to the single greatest weapon known to history, the famous short stabbing sword of the Roman army, which nature of utility and ease of production came to a million sharp points behind which the immense weight of strategic genius and tactical engineering could penetrate the deepest markets of the east and west?

Or was it...?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Don't run engine ice it is garbage for your engine passages if you don't change it. Antifreeze for street temperatures, straight water for track.

Building on this, its also hard on water pump seals, as is high-silica coolants. (in asian bikes, anyway)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Dont forget the underrated Thundercat, which nobody remembers because R6

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Car Stuff podcast has a mildly interesting episode about car names.

I default to XJ600 because The Seca name was also used in the 80s and those bikes are extremely forgettable. Not that the 90s ones aren't, but they're better.

Using a sandwich plate for a cooler always struck me as poor engineering at some level. With one in place, the downward pointing filter is now a good 1.5" or so lower, and becomes the lowest point in the bike aside from the axles. With the wet noodle suspension, goodbye oil filter if you go over a curb or hit a speed bump at speed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

Is it because of the name though? The name which of course belongs to the single greatest weapon known to history, the famous short stabbing sword of the Roman army

Lol chode

I mean everyone already jokes that bikes are dick extensions primarily bought by directionless middle aged men, naming one after any sword would seem silly and pretentious, that sword in particular just adds an extra layer of immature giggles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean everyone already jokes that bikes are dick extensions primarily bought by directionless middle aged men, naming one after any sword would seem silly and pretentious, that sword in particular just adds an extra layer of immature giggles.
:rolleye:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I think this might be my fetish, the most beautifully ugly bike around. It looks like Paul Verhoeven designed a utilitarian kid's pocket bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Behold, the latest suzuki katana:

("The" Katana only gets away with it because everybody's busy arguing over its appearance)

Chichevache posted:

I think this might be my fetish, the most beautifully ugly bike around. It looks like Paul Verhoeven designed a utilitarian kid's pocket bike.

It was designed by a German firm, so you're close.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 6, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

Don't run engine ice it is garbage for your engine passages if you don't change it. Antifreeze for street temperatures, straight water for track.

I run engine ice on my VFR in the summer because I do a lot of sitting in traffic and it gets hot as gently caress.
But I also switch back to 50/50 sometime around September, sooo...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are bikes, the sohc cb750 is one I believe, where you can put an oil cooler inline with an oil return line since some of the oil lines are external

The CB750 is one of the few bikes that actually benefits from an oil cooler, particularly if you do a lot of slow or stop and go riding in traffic.
The external oil tank already acts as a heatsink, so you could also get away with just leaving the sidecover off, or getting a finned tank to dissipate heat faster.

I would say that I'd worry about an oil cooler (connected using the external oil tank lines) on that bike in the winter because it could cool the oil TOO much, but honestly, it'll be fine. That Honda has an oil pump built like a Sherman tank and could pump concrete up a mountain.

I'd still recommend just getting an adapter plate and connecting the oil cooler to where the oil filter goes. It'll keep oil temps more consistent across the whole loop.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I posted in discussion about my Vstrom getting the oil pressure light coming on while on the freeway. Pulled over and stopped and got a tow home.

Last night I drained my oil to check for metal and other than 3 or 4 sand grain size pieces there wasn't any metal in the oil. There's some metal on the magnetic oil pan bolt but I don't know how long that's been accumulating, this is only the second time I've done the oil on this bike and it has 49k miles. My oil looks like chocolate milk though.

The much darker oil is old oil I hadn't disposed of yet. I THINK its from my CBR500R which means its the same oil, Rotella T Triple 15W-40

I've never seen oil this color before, could something be wrong making it this color and making my oil pressure light come one?

The bike has been running warm lately but I thought it was coolant running low, so I was gonna replace it today. Now that I have the fairing off, the coolant reservoir looks filled (but it looks like there's dirt accumulated on the bottom of it) and it looks like there is coolant on the other side of my engine, which I neglected to take a picture of.

I'm probably gonna come have the shop get it today to look at it but any input would be great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
huh... that's a weird color.
no mayonnaise though?

Does the oil smell HEAVILY of gasoline?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I did notice a strong smell last night when I was pouring it between containers. I'll go give a whif and see if it's still there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Could it be coolant? Head gasket leak perhaps?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

A quick Google search suggests chocolate milk oil = head gasket issues and it's coolant.

The oil from last night was mixed with the old oil and doesn't really stink bad, a mild maybe gassy smell. I smelled my other old oil, one I think from the cbr500r that smelled about the same, and the other I think from the Vstrom, and it was really gassy smelling. It's the oil from the PO. TBH the bike would smell gassy sometimes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Schroeder91 posted:

A quick Google search suggests chocolate milk oil = head gasket issues and it's coolant.

The oil from last night was mixed with the old oil and doesn't really stink bad, a mild maybe gassy smell. I smelled my other old oil, one I think from the cbr500r that smelled about the same, and the other I think from the Vstrom, and it was really gassy smelling. It's the oil from the PO. TBH the bike would smell gassy sometimes.

Then probably a light coolant leak.
Looks like you're gonna have to pull the head.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Could that be why my oil pressure light came on? Or is my bike failing in multiple ways at once

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

Could that be why my oil pressure light came on? Or is my bike failing in multiple ways at once

Maybe, I suppose there are oil pipes going through there as well. A leak would bleed off the pressure. I think it's probably fixable.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Schroeder91 posted:

Maybe, but it's doubtful unless there's a bunch of oil all over the bike, in the cylinders (you would have been putting a shitton of dark / blue smoke out of the tailpipe), or in the coolant system.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

No smoke AFAIK, and no oil outside the engine. No leaks except what I believe is coolant on the engine case.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Looks like when my old SV popped a water plug.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Schroeder91 posted:

Oil doesn't work so gud when it's had a bunch of coolant mixed with it.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Sagebrush posted:

God, yes. This.

Boring names are boring. I hate having to barf out some long alphanumeric code to identify a specific motorcycle. Give it an actual name.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I started preferring model numbers to names when I was a teenager, after I realized that numbers indicated engine size more often than not.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Hey so my GN125 has started bogging down a little bit when I go to accelerate after stopping, or if I rev it while sitting at a stop. But a quick rev until it winds up past the bogging and it will be fine again up until I stop at the next light.

Could it have anything to do with the weather being warmer than the 50s that it's been most of the time that I've had the thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I started preferring model numbers to names when I was a teenager, after I realized that numbers indicated engine size more often than not.

That makes it even worse. If the number in the model code is the engine displacement, then the rest of it must be the name of the bike/style. "Hey, what model of BMW is that?" "R"

Boooooooooooooring.

Personally, I think the displacement is a dumb figure to put in the name of the vehicle, and you should just look it up from the data sheet like you do the tire size or the weight. But if you've got to have it, at least preface it with a memorable name.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

But my ZRX isn't even a 1200. :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

But my ZRX isn't even a 1200. :psyduck:

Yeah cause it turns out the engineers have this pesky habit of making the engine whatever size is convenient to them, not marketable sizes, so almost all the badge displacements are inaccurate, some by hilarious margins (looking at you KTM).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Something has been bothering me about motorcyclist culture and road manners. It's been bothering me for quite some time and I really hope to settle it:

Do you point one finger down at the ground? Two? Give a full on wave? Heil Hitler? What do I do with my hand to greet other motorcyclists?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wave if you can, nod if you can't, give a thumbs up if you're australian. Don't know anything about this finger pointing business.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I switch it up. Usually I give a low-down peace sign to people on cruisers, and the horns to people on sportbikes. If the guy is riding something really cool and I want to let him know, I do the Elvis point

and if there's a line of bikes going by, I sometimes do a finger-gun and "shoot" them one by one.

I don't attempt to wave if I'm in a turn or whatever and it would be unsafe. I nod at people at stoplights if I'm holding in the clutch, but it's not really noticeable at speed so I don't bother.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2016

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I do the ocelot point myself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

I switch it up. Usually I give a low-down peace sign to people on cruisers, and the horns to people on sportbikes. If the guy is riding something really cool and I want to let him know, I do the Elvis point

and if there's a line of bikes going by, I sometimes do a finger-gun and "shoot" them one by one.

I don't attempt to wave if I'm in a turn or whatever and it would be unsafe. I nod at people at stoplights if I'm holding in the clutch, but it's not really noticeable at speed so I don't bother.

Low down peace sign to everyone except goofy sumo guys and cruisers. Sumo guys get waves, devil horns, whatever feels good. Cruisers get no acknowledgement most of the time, the middle finger occasionally, and the real bad rear end macho harley alpha males with 10' long dragging dicks get a double handed wave like I'm a mildly retardedblonde soccer mom.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Low down peace sign to everyone except goofy sumo guys and cruisers. Sumo guys get waves, devil horns, whatever feels good. Cruisers get no acknowledgement most of the time, the middle finger occasionally, and the real bad rear end macho harley alpha males with 10' long dragging dicks get a double handed wave like I'm a mildly retardedblonde soccer mom.

Wait, you aren't mildly retarded??

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Only by brunette standards

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm a big fan of an exaggerated goofy wave that makes it look like I'm probably shouting "HAAAYYYYY!" inside my helmet. Especially in response to cruiser pirates pointing at the ground.

I gave one guy the antlers last year, but that's because an elk had just run out into the road in front of me a few seconds earlier.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only proper greeting for another motorcyclist is a wheelie.

This includes motocops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I throw the horns down unless I see a scooter, then it's a big goofy wave. Unless I'm using the clutch, obv