Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hagop posted:

OK, so I have the game, an account, and a character. I followed the tutorial around until it told me to find cosmic anomaly(which I don't know how to do), and buy a probe gun (which I don't seem to have the cash for). So, now what do I do?

So, first off, sorry -- CCP is really terrible at tutorials :(

The initial tutorial tries to tell you about anomalies without actually needing a probe gun. If you bring up the probe scanner, you can click Analyze without launching probes, and it'll bring up some anomalies to warp to.

Once you're done with the initial tutorial, you can jump into a player corp, or you can go on to do the Advanced Tutorials. There's six of them, one of which is exploration -- if you do that advanced exploration tutorial, you'll be given a probe launcher for that part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

ullerrm posted:

Hey, while you're posting here -- holy poo poo dagronstalking, what is this T2 invuln, heavy neut poo poo? You could have PMed me and I'd have given you a pair of C-type invulns so you could at least tank one measly DD. Hell, my Phoenix could tank two pre-nerf DDs, much less the current nerfed garbage.

For the record, what I'm running atm (I'm not the happiest with it, but I haven't seen much better yet):

It'd be better if I could find a compact capital neut, but they're stupid expensive atm, so I built a T2 using my industrial alt and compensated for the extra CPU using all the A-type / named poo poo. As soon as I can find a compact neut, I'll bump up the hardeners to X-type and the suitcase to T2.

I literally threw half the fit together (everything but the mids really) before I undocked and jumped and didn't have my invulns on because poo poo who expects getting awoxxed on a impulse POS bash? Also I was still up-in-the-air as to how this thing should actually end up looking.

Anyways your fit is bad because :lol: at spending that amount of dosh on a throwaway cap; you know that ancillary is like a bil on its own right? I'm rich but I'm not Xolve-rich.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pigbottom posted:

I considered joining several sig, but I wasn't exactly sure about either what they actualy did or if I was going to enjoy it. Also I was far away from having the skills to fly most of the stuff.

It has been a few years already, but I remember logging in stuck who the hell knows where in 0.0, with no ship to fly since I just podjumped there or any idea on where to buy it, and asking somewhere (I think there was a channel for that) for a noob frig a few times and logging out after getting no replies. After that I just went to play other games and forgot about eve.

That said, I'm sure it's not all the system's fault, my attention spam is notoriously small.

Join any sig that even makes you go "huh, what's this?"

Then you find out if you like it. Eve is a lot like that in general. Do poo poo that seems interesting, find out later if you were right.

Also most communication now happens on jabber and mumble. If you are ever going "wtf" you can hop on theta mumble channel and ask there. You don't need to be in a sig for that.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Thanks for the info everyone, is VG's ROCK VENTURE CHILL MINING FRIENDS the place for turbo newbs?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Foehammer007 posted:

Or are you going to cry again

Remember the golden age of Hole Squad when foehammer was CEO?

Those were the days.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

dragonstalking posted:

I literally threw half the fit together (everything but the mids really) before I undocked and jumped and didn't have my invulns on because poo poo who expects getting awoxxed on a impulse POS bash? Also I was still up-in-the-air as to how this thing should actually end up looking.

Anyways your fit is bad because :lol: at spending that amount of dosh on a throwaway cap; you know that ancillary is like a bil on its own right? I'm rich but I'm not Xolve-rich.

Question really is, "was it thread worthy?"

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Despera posted:

Question really is, "was it thread worthy?"

Well someone woulda posted it better the karma goes to me for my own loss.

:colbert:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Hagop posted:

Thanks for the info everyone, is VG's ROCK VENTURE CHILL MINING FRIENDS the places for turbo newbs?

It's one of them. Welcome, friend.

To be fair though, Goonswarm Federation is another place for turbo newbs. They have different things to offer a newbie than we do. I prefer RVCMF, but we're not the only game in town.

e: I shouldn't leave out Groon either. I don't know if they take newbies though?

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

dragonstalking posted:

Well someone woulda posted it better the karma goes to me for my own loss.

:colbert:

Theres a writeup on pcgamer right now from random_scrub731 on "lol why i left the imperium" so i guess anyone can get 15 minutes these days

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-i-defected-from-eve-onlines-greatest-empire/

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I know. Our provi times is what gave me the idea. After my overhaul Topgoon would have consisted of a jabber channel with a "Staging is Nakah. Get in comms if you are running or looking for a fleet" type of MOTD and a forum with a bunch of stickies that essentially read "Here are basic skills for newbees. Don't be a bad." Everything else (except the shitposting thread) would have been deleted.

I actually wish I could extract a couple of my fittings/how to fly this ship threads out of there. They were handy for people wanting to fit out those kinds of ships.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

https://zkillboard.com/kill/53809898/

lol nice asher fit globby

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Asher uses prototype cloaks :colbert:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i got blobbed 10 to 1 get good blobperium

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
https://zkillboard.com/kill/53809896/

in fact in a 23v1, i ended up getting a kill, so i actually won that fight

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just think of how much faster you could have locked those interceptors without a cloak

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

yeah i kind of forgot to drop a mobile depot and put on another gun and drop the cloak, i probably wouldve lived if i did

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Asher uses prototype cloaks :colbert:

God I hate protocloaks.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I've been playing in a few different corps under alts and such, and so far I've liked Goonfleet's culture the most- all of the problems that people are leaving for either don't apply to me or are things I've not encountered yet.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Rhymenoserous posted:

God I hate protocloaks.

I was fitting them instead of improved because for some reason I had it in my head that improved were like 7m and proto was 2m and the ships were pretty cheap. Turns out it's more like 2m and 3m :downs:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

RhoA posted:

Those were the days.

literally only days though :smith:

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Fix Lag posted:

it was a good week

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Ad by Khad posted:

It's one of them. Welcome, friend.

To be fair though, Goonswarm Federation is another place for turbo newbs. They have different things to offer a newbie than we do. I prefer RVCMF, but we're not the only game in town.

e: I shouldn't leave out Groon either. I don't know if they take newbies though?

Groon does indeed take newbies.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Fix Lag posted:

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

it was a good week

Four glorious days.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

RhoA posted:

Those were the days.

Did it last a whole day?

Edit: wow, way too slow on this one.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Did it last a whole day?

Edit: wow, way too slow on this one.

That's what you get for being :corsair:.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ullerrm posted:

D-names are all the same :black101: But yeah, Dainiel = dragonstalking. Apologies.
The reddit crew ruined a perfectly good letter of the alphabet.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

But enough about Eve. Lets all keep in mind what's really important. The Greater Imperium Gaming Community. For we are a community that exists mainly outside of Eve which is something our enemies will never understand. Our bond is stronger than Eve.

I'll see yall on Imperium jabber and we'll have a game of H1Z1 later on, cool?

Way to make me regret defending your position.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Umokka was a disaster today, but we still ended up finding a way to have an impromptu mining op even without you VG.

Like VG says, "enjoy yourselves, friends! You are all valued and you are all wonderful!"

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ullerrm posted:

I'm gonna come in on the "random assignment is dumb" side of things, for two reasons :

1) the player base is way older now, on average
2) god help the poor fucks who end up in a group with sothrasil or penif or DBRB or mittens or w/e

Why would you lump Penif in that group? You joined SA 2 years after ISRAD left so you've never had any interaction with him. Penifsmash generates shitloads of content and would be a great fit for any group that isn't full of thin skinned people who flip their poo poo at the first troll that comes their way.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

epic content friend, thank you for the content, it was epic

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

YouTuber posted:

Why would you lump Penif in that group? You joined SA 2 years after ISRAD left so you've never had any interaction with him. Penifsmash generates shitloads of content and would be a great fit for any group that isn't full of thin skinned people who flip their poo poo at the first troll that comes their way.

speaking of thin skinned people, why did he help darius attempt to achieve his tolon given goal of creating a real splinter

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Hi DBRB is an insufferable human being and generates a lot of content. This is different than penif because.....

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

Hi DBRB is an insufferable human being and generates a lot of content. This is different than sothrasil because.....

penif isnt boat or soth

HA caught your edit

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

penif isnt boat or soth

HA caught your edit

Yea i had a brain fart

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

I don't mind DBRB fleets.
Am I bad?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

TimNeilson posted:

Groon does indeed take newbies.

Cool! So that's three options for a newbie goon. Groon is the only one of the three I haven't tried, but I'm a trainwreck at solo pvp and at living in nullsec in general.

Alunan
May 27, 2008

Valar Morghulis posted:

Am I bad?

No you are just mentally able to deal with it.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Ad by Khad posted:

Cool! So that's three options for a newbie goon. Groon is the only one of the three I haven't tried, but I'm a trainwreck at solo pvp and at living in nullsec in general.

You'd fit right in tbh :v:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Valar Morghulis posted:

Am I bad?

Yeah, I'm in the same...boat :cawg:

DBRB fleets are generally fun and silly and low stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Because he's insufferable?

• Locked thread