Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This woman at the front is pure cringe, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Take my money! That's a huge increase.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

4.4x / 3.6x = 1.22x as fast as a Titan X. Maybe 4.4x / 3.7x = 1.18x.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Did I see that right, the 1080 is close to 200W?
700$+ bomb incoming.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Tim Sweeney looks incredibly uncomfortable up there

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sauer kraut posted:

Did I see that right, the 1080 is close to 200W?
700$+ bomb incoming.

Available in limited numbers in September.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Thank God I didn't bite on the 980 ti deals.

TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY 1080

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I predict $500 for the 1080.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This makes the decision of whether to buy the 1080 or wait for the big Pascal/Vegas especially tough, I'll probably still try to wait but we will see.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tim Sweeny on stage chatting Unreal Engine.

Price and availability wheeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn damnit.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'll keep my 970 for now since I don't need much more (yet). But if the price is right this will be very tempting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I predict $500 for the 1080.

I'd be ok paying $500 for a card with that big of a leap over the Titan X.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Holy gently caress 1x 1080 is faster than a Titan X or 980 SLI, by a significant margin apparently. :stare:

Where does the Ti fall in to that graph? It seems it was left out, so the 1080 isn't faster than 980Ti SLI. Still, that's a huge improvement, and at a lot less power, as Ti's are about 250W.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm not sure how to read that graph - it looks impressive but also like they're trying to twist the data a bit?

It seems to be a graph of "relative" performance with no data point at 1x - so relative to what? The figures look like it's towards but a chunk below twice the performance of a 980, but the graph makes the difference look far more dramatic..

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VulgarandStupid posted:

Where does the Ti fall in to that graph? It seems it was left out, so the 1080 isn't faster than 980Ti SLI. Still, that's a huge improvement, and at a lot less power, as Ti's are about 250W.

The 980 Ti is basically equivalent to a Titan X (since aftermarket cards are available for the 980 Ti and were restricted/disapproved by NVIDIA for the Titan X). The Titan X outperforms a little if you put a hybrid cooler on it but ultimately a ref board can't keep up with the G1 Ultra Extreme Hardcore Thunderstrike Classified Gaming Editions of the world.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Titan X is slightly faster than the 980ti so there is no need.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

the Ti would be slightly below the Titan X.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Where does the Ti fall in to that graph?

In the same spot as the Titan-X.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
980ti's for $299 incoming

RIP

This is the 780ti all over again

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Froist posted:

It seems to be a graph of "relative" performance with no data point at 1x - so relative to what? The figures look like it's towards but a chunk below twice the performance of a 980, but the graph makes the difference look far more dramatic..

You compare the relative performance numbers. 3.7x vs 4.4x still tells you something, whether it's measured in frames-per-second or multiples of a 960 (:lol:).

The 1080 is ~1.2x as fast as a 980 Ti.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

havenwaters posted:

I'll keep my 970 for now since I don't need much more (yet). But if the price is right this will be very tempting.

I'm in the same boat with a 970, but it's almost always worth it to buy a graphic card the minute it comes out (given that you plan on buying it at all).

The price of GPUs drop so slowly that you're gaining much more utility by buying the card instantly, and taking the small $ hit, but getting to enjoy the product for its full life span.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

Available in limited numbers in September.
gonna :lol: if a lot of people are rockin intel graphics 4600 waiting 5 months for any amount of pascal production

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Froist posted:

I'm not sure how to read that graph - it looks impressive but also like they're trying to twist the data a bit?

The graph is accurate, but undeniably a bit shady.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Froist posted:

Looks like its roughly twice the speed of 980sli with maybe 20% more power

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

2.1ghz omg

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Taima posted:

I'm in the same boat with a 970, but it's almost always worth it to buy a graphic card the minute it comes out (given that you plan on buying it at all).

The price of GPUs drop so slowly that you're gaining much more utility by buying the card instantly, and taking the small $ hit, but getting to enjoy the product for its full life span.

Yeah.

hmmm gpu clock 2.1ghz. fun.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Holy poo poo, 2.1GHz on air cooling with the 1080. :stare:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

11ghz memory, 2.1ghz core, 67c

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
~hurriedly F5's newegg~

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Holy poo poo, 2.1GHz on air cooling with the 1080. :stare:

Wonder if that's "stock"? The char has the 1080 as ~25% faster than a 980Ti, but I assume that's stock-vs-stock. Bump the 980Ti up the 20-30% of a normal overclock and it's back up to par, so if the 1080 doesn't overclock well it won't be much of an actual upgrade in raw horsepower, but hopefully will be a substantial improvement in DX12 and future games, plus VR blah blah blah.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck 2100 mhz

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What about the GTX1070? I want a GTX1070! :f5:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DrDork posted:

Wonder if that's "stock"? The char has the 1080 as ~25% faster than a 980Ti, but I assume that's stock-vs-stock. Bump the 980Ti up the 20-30% of a normal overclock and it's back up to par, so if the 1080 doesn't overclock well it won't be much of an actual upgrade in raw horsepower, but hopefully will be a substantial improvement in DX12 and future games, plus VR blah blah blah.

at 67c i hope we got some room to bump voltage and clocks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Those 3dmark scores were at what, 1.8ghz lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so when it the 1080ti? haha. gently caress this card sounds insane.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
:pray: $299 GTX1070 $299 GTX1070 $299 GTX1070 :pray:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

at 67c i hope we got some room to bump voltage and clocks.
Yeah, if they can make the 1080 hit a 30% improvement over a reasonably overclocked 980Ti, at <$700, they'll have quite the seller on their hands.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

spasticColon posted:

:pray: $299 GTX1070 $299 GTX1070 $299 GTX1070 :pray:

I'd be sad for someone I know who bought a 970 last week if it's at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coming from a 560ti - this is gonna be great.