Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Philosopher King posted:

Are there any guides out there that talk about conflicting questlines? I just don't wanna go too far into my game and gently caress something I wanna do with one guy by doing something for another guy.

The only outright conflicting ones I know of are Yuria/Anri, and I guess doing anything* Rosaria related and Sirris.

With Yuria/Anri- are you going for that ending? If yes, don't kill the assassin at Church of Yorshka. If no, and she's around, buy everything you want from her before going to Yorshka's Church, then kill the assassin. Even if Yuria never showed up, kill the assassin.

If you want to do Sirris' questline, just don't talk to Rosaria, just to be safe. I mean I think you can get the covenant symbol but IDK exactly what pisses her off, so might as well leave it alone, right?

Sieg/Patches/Greirat don't really conflict, but it's easy to mess up as has been discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I know for a fact you can give join the Rosaria covenant/give her tongues for respecs/look altering without pissing off Sirris, and giving her tongues for the covenant rewards will piss her off and I hear varying tales about equipping the actual covenant item. Not that you have any reason to, you gain literally nothing from it, not even an alternate phantom colour.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Einwand posted:

I know for a fact you can give join the Rosaria covenant/give her tongues for respecs/look altering without pissing off Sirris, and giving her tongues for the covenant rewards will piss her off and I hear varying tales about equipping the actual covenant item. Not that you have any reason to, you gain literally nothing from it, not even an alternate phantom colour.

Ok, it's just that I've heard that respeccing/look altering did? piss off Sirris. I think they patched it? But that patch isn't on PC yet? Or... I dunno, man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Ok, it's just that I've heard that respeccing/look altering did? piss off Sirris. I think they patched it? But that patch isn't on PC yet? Or... I dunno, man.

It used to but it's been patched out, including on PC. I did the respec with my last character and did the Sirris quest just fine after.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Pump-a-rum pickle-pee for best souls bird

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
so if you want to two-hand a 50 strength sword what level do you need to be? I currently have 25 strength but the red x is still showing when I two-hand the fume sword and I have all the other stats

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Using a weapon with 2 hands when it's not a dual wield weapon gives you 50% more strength, so to use a 50str weapon you need 34 strength at the minimum. The visible scaling will always show it as negative stats because for some reason it only shows you the stats you'd have 1handing it, but it'll work properly.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

so if you want to two-hand a 50 strength sword what level do you need to be? I currently have 25 strength but the red x is still showing when I two-hand the fume sword and I have all the other stats

two-handing doesn't double your strength. it increases it by 50%. your strength needs to be at 34

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012
Watching Northern Lion play Dark Souls 3 is giving me a loving aneurysm but there's some truly golden moments. How the hell does somebody who played through one and two still fall for the whole "tantalizing item across a hole into a horrible area" trap? It's amazing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aztec posted:

Watching Northern Lion play Dark Souls 3 is giving me a loving aneurysm but there's some truly golden moments. How the hell does somebody who played through one and two still fall for the whole "tantalizing item across a hole into a horrible area" trap? It's amazing.

I love it when the items near lurking enemies is an alluring skull pickup :allears:

"Hah, I showed them. These only fool idiots!-wait."

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Instant Grat posted:

Dancer is one of the best boss fights I've had in a FromSoft game yet. Only took one attempt, but god drat it was fun. She dances and I counter-dance around her and smack her in the butt, it just flows so well. It's no Maria but it's close, dang.

I was very glad to have not watched previews featuring her or early access streams, because everything about that fight got to be this delicious, wonderfully unsettling surprise. The music, those footsteps in time with it, the incredibly surreal movement was all just a hell of a thing to be suddenly thrown up against after being unexpectedly pulled back into that cathedral.

I promptly freaked out and homewarded, but still :gonk:

NESguerilla posted:

Aldrichs arrows attack is really the stupidest loving thing.

When it happens, just stop everything you're doing and get to steppin'. You'll get your chance to go back to beating him up later, especially with his incredibly generous hitbox. For now, just waltz, yes waltz, with the storm.

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012

Section Z posted:

I love it when the items near lurking enemies is an alluring skull pickup :allears:

"Hah, I showed them. These only fool idiots!-wait."

Took me two playthroughs to realize the alluring skulls were meant FOR me, not for me. I played myself.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aztec posted:

Took me two playthroughs to realize the alluring skulls were meant FOR me, not for me. I played myself.

My insight comes at the cost of being well aware of my dumbassery in these games.

"You know, maybe grinding up the six levels to cast safe fall wouldn't be so bad... *breaks knees for the third time entering Nito boss fight with medium armor* I deserve this"

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I think something's wrong... I'm at SL41 and I'm embered and Dried Fingered in Anor Londo and I haven't had a single Aldrich Pal invade... :(

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Anal Surgery posted:

I think something's wrong... I'm at SL41 and I'm embered and Dried Fingered in Anor Londo and I haven't had a single Aldrich Pal invade... :(

The Aldrich won't invade you at the Anor Londo fire. Either spawn at the water reserve or the Pontiff's room.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Hommando posted:

The Aldrich won't invade you at the Anor Londo fire. Either spawn at the water reserve or the Pontiff's room.

Yeah I went back to the Pontiff fire and I'm hiding out with Way of the Blue on, Fingered, Embered. So far in 10 min I've had one Aldrich Bro invade, no Bluecops.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
SL41 is definitely on the lower end of the Aldrich Faithful spectrum. You might have more luck if you level up more towards 55-60.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

you should be like level 60 or so to get hits.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Well, NG+ is less brutal this time around. The health and damage scaling isn't a vertical wall. But from what I've seen so far, there's no extra mobs or invasions.

Aztec posted:

Never made that connection before. Still, they're fun to throw near the edges of cliffs. DS3 enemies like to do their running attacks at them. :unsmigghh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

limited posted:

Well, NG+ is less brutal this time around. The health and damage scaling isn't a

NG+ is easy mode but I'm finding Aldrich to be a bigger bitch than NG. I really hate this boss.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

So, against my better judgement I've been going for a pyromancy build for my first run-through - ultra low soul level, not touching vigour at all. Currently around 40, have done everything but the end boss and anything beyond the first boss in Archdragon Peak. Now that I've helped Sirris deal with her Grandad Problems, though, I'm considering a minor respec - going from a roughly even INT/FAITH split (currently around 24/25 for each), which lets me do Pyromancy but be 'eh' at sorceries or miracles, into one that focuses on one or the other (but is still capable of solving problems through rolling and Chaos Fire Orbs).

A couple of questions:

- The softcap that people have been recommending is 30/30 for fire, being a sum of the two stats - but would INT 10/FTH 50 get the same results, or would it hit the softcap for how much one stat could contribute? I've also heard people getting a lot more damage around 40/40 for each state - what about 10/70 on one of the stats, or would that cap? Would it still provide decent benefits to my chosen miracles/sorceries?
- Which is the fastest casting catalyst/chime/talisman? Is this even a thing any more? I remember my old DS2 Witchtree branch was much better for me than my staff of wisdom, but don't know if that's still that relevant, or whether I'd be better served going for a meatier spellcasting tool.
- Weapons? I've been doing OK with a Crescent Axe/estoc, but like the look of some of the flashier weapons. I haven't found many Int scaling weapons, except for the MLGS and Crystal Rapier (went for the sorceries with each) - is it pretty much infusions this time around? There seem to be some pretty nice faith weapons, though - I have Lothric's Holy Sword which looks sick, and have been invaded by people using both the Dragonslayer Spear and some kind of awesome-looking greatsword version of the same (is that the Dragonslayer Swordspear?). I've always liked spear-type weapons, and those look awesome (especially the weapon arts) ... but is it worth spending attribute points on what I suspect are some pretty stat-intensive weapons (currently 12 Str/Dex, no extra endurance from my pyromancer start)?
- For PVP, I've been having a pretty decent time with my estoc, but it's too easy to avoid my Great Chaos Fire Orbs unless I get seriously tricksy. Sorcery's ability to stack on the buffs looks pretty considerable, and Farron's Flashsword seems like a fun melee ability I'm lacking now, but it still all seems pretty dodgeable in the end ... would I be best served investing in a low-level buffed weapon, or would the others work well for where I'm at?

Thanks!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 7, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

A couple of questions:

Well, I'm no expert on the efficiency scaling. But at the very least you would want to meet the requirements for the pyromancy spells so 10 int could hurt you pretty bad.

Chaos Vestige is 20 INT, 10 Faith.

Black Fire Orb is 20/20 INT/Faith,

Etc. Check the wiki for what pyromancy spells, if any, you don't want to bother with. Though the highest INT needed is 25 for Profaned Flame (The "summon fire under someone's feet" spell), and Warmth has the highest Faith requirement at 25... Not that Warmth is all that great :v:

But if you want to cast the majority of cool pyromancy, along with Black orb for stuff that ignores fire, 20/20 minimum for each. Then deciding from there.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 7, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

NESguerilla posted:

NG+ is easy mode but I'm finding Aldrich to be a bigger bitch than NG. I really hate this boss.
While the game is mostly fashion-souls, there is definitely value in switching up your armour for bosses with specific damage types. That's what clinched it for me when I was having trouble. Magic and slash resist helped me put him down.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

drat Nameless King was a cock. I got the Dragonslayer Greatshield from Armour though, that helped a lot.

I really like Lorian's Greatsword. Think I'll get it up to +5 then jump into NG+.

Are PvP/Summons affected by NG+ or just SL? I was thinking about sticking around 100, but i might go to 120. I like 100 because i have my 40/40 quality build and just enough Vit to wear my sexy Dragonslayer gear.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So why are so many people obsessed with Ciaran? It seems like every other lore theory is just randomly "And Ciaran is actually this NPC!" with no real basis or reasoning behind it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So why are so many people obsessed with Ciaran? It seems like every other lore theory is just randomly "And Ciaran is actually this NPC!" with no real basis or reasoning behind it.

One part waifu, one part she's unaccounted* for, if I had to guess.

*probably dead, though, for real

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Nuebot posted:

Ciaran did basically nothing except mope about Artorias, so she's basically a big blank slate as far as potential stuff she could do so it's easy to ascribe things to her.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
so chameleon is p good:

https://gfycat.com/SpotlessFarflungHorsemouse

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mazerunner posted:

I'm pretty sure she's dead because she offs herself(I think? It's been a while) if you give her artorias' soul and she gets murdered by you if you don't.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chameleon even when it's not being used well is great. I invade some guy in that general area and look around a bit, eventually go up higher and see they have the old Gwyndolin hallway open, head down that and oh, there's a suspicious silver knight statue in this room I don't remember. Shout in it's direction and the host uncloaks clapping at me. :v:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://u.pomf.is/bcrafu.mp4

SL"""""40"""""

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

She's the corpse that you get Hornet's Ring from.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

What's your highest weapon level? Cause there's an allowance of +2 up and down from whatever your highest is and I could maybe see that sword hurting that bad min/max'd right even at that level.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kild posted:

She's the corpse that you get Hornet's Ring from.

I just remember it being behind the grave, no body, but probably I'm wrong

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

What's your highest weapon level? Cause there's an allowance of +2 up and down from whatever your highest is and I could maybe see that sword hurting that bad min/max'd right even at that level.

Notice he swung it 5 times in a row while running, also I could barely damage him and he was using Chaos Bed Vestiges on top.

Trust me, he was a high level summon.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I decided to respec via Rosaria at SL 164 to give Pyromancy a shot and Great Chaos Fireball and Black Fire Orb completely wreck enemies and bosses even on NG+3 which is where I am currently parked at.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Monomythian posted:

Trust me, he was a high level summon.

Or just someone with cheated/hacked stats. This person took 80 damage from my 440 AR weapon and then oneshot me with Combustion. This is after almost killing them 4 times because they were terrible and then running for 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vISp3RCjKM

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah, I had that happen too. Host that keeps running like a bitch from me and another Faithful, and when we do clip him he takes like 60 damage? :cmon:

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Nuebot posted:

Are they? Could you name an example? I'm interested to hear it, Ciaran was a bit of a cipher when we met her. I've hardly heard anyone mention her name at all in regards to Souls 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i wanted to like being a blue cop but basically everyone who equips way of the blue is a massive bitch who's terrified of anything less than a 4v1 and just summons someone else if one of us manages to die somehow.