Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Only by brunette standards

I caught it before you edited, am now assuming the curtains don't match the drapes which is totally cool if you roll that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

The only proper greeting for another motorcyclist is a wheelie.

This includes motocops.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I nod at people at stoplights if I'm holding in the clutch, but it's not really noticeable at speed so I don't bother.

Round here it's always a nod, but you kind of twist/roll your head a bit as well (sort of like you were going to do a left side shoulder check but aborted halfway) so it's distinguishable from having just gone over a bump.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I caught it before you edited, am now assuming the curtains don't match the drapes which is totally cool if you roll that way.

Blonde head, brown pubes, and I don't dye a thing. :wink:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I do a mini-heil Hitler with my left wrist for the most part. If I come across a big group of bikes and am in a good mood, I might do a Mr Hankey wave.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Hey so my GN125 has started bogging down a little bit when I go to accelerate after stopping, or if I rev it while sitting at a stop. But a quick rev until it winds up past the bogging and it will be fine again up until I stop at the next light.

Could it have anything to do with the weather being warmer than the 50s that it's been most of the time that I've had the thing?

As the owner of the same model motorcycle, check your air filter. If it's the original, it might have just about disintegrated by now. I had a mid-range stumble on mine—right where the "power"band starts at 6K—and it was due to a degrading air filter letting in too much air, leaning out the mixture.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
It's a lazily two finger point to the side, or a vigorous wave if it's a kid.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
In the land of Harley, don't nobody wave at a guy on a sportbike.

So, nothing unless I'm feeling saucy. Then it's horns in front of the forehead.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I was out on my first long ride (about 55 miles) the other day with a buddy. My ninja 300 in garish lime and his black zx6-r. We did the 2 finger pointed down thing at a few other bikers of various sorts who usually waved back somehow. I waved at about 6 sets of kids in various neighborhoods, all of who were SUPER PUMPED about seeing us. The one guy who didn't wave back was a harley rider who passed me aggressively and blatted (cant really call it blipped, right?) his fart machine at me as he passed.

I assume he was pretty excited about the power to weight ratio of his 800 lb chrome dong being roughly in the same ballpark as my 37hp beginner bike.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I do the down low peace sign for most everyone, but I think I might start throwing horns at the sport bike dudes. That's a good thing.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
When I first started riding I did the low-V wave, but then a guy saluted me. So now I salute. It's a jaunty little bitch, and the motocops fuckin' love it. They always wave back.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I feel like you have to salute in the style of the bike you are greeting. Like, a British bike gets a British salute. American gets an American salute. German gets a -- yeah maybe don't do German.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

When I first started riding I did the low-V wave, but then a guy saluted me. So now I salute. It's a jaunty little bitch, and the motocops fuckin' love it. They always wave back.

I forgot I changed to something like that:cripes:. Two fingers to the helmet and a "tip of my hat" salute.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
As far as lady riders, I generally pantomime tipping my fedora while target fixating on their butts

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
This is where riding on the correct side of the road has its advantages, as the Brits and Aussie/Kiwis are facing each other with their throttle hands, and not their already-resting-on-their-thighs-or-tanks hands.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The guys trying to look badass on Harleys never wave back but the old grandpa guys on Harleys always look surprised when I wave and then wave back.

The two best waves I've gotten were both guys on dual sports. One guy did a big waggly arm above the head wave and the other one did a wheely.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

captainOrbital posted:

This is where riding on the correct side of the road has its advantages, as the Brits and Aussie/Kiwis are facing each other with their throttle hands, and not their already-resting-on-their-thighs-or-tanks hands.

the origin of the salute in the first place is knights raising their sword hand while passing each other, so we're doing it wrong i guess

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If it's not safe to clutch in and wave with your throttle hand then it's probably not safe to wave at all :colbert:

But seriously you can totally see when somebody waves with their off hand, because over here it's not hidden behind three hundred pounds of flesh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

the origin of the salute in the first place is knights raising their sword hand while passing each other, so we're doing it wrong i guess

loving Nazis ruined all the cool poo poo. Like Adolf. That was a pretty bad rear end name before the Nazis hosed it up. Dicks.

At least Hugo Boss is still cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I think a nod's cooler than a wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfjcazPbNA

This is just how loving cool I look acknowledging other bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

In kiwiland we tilt-nod and nobody gets too excited. We're not animals, we live in a society.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If it's not safe to clutch in and wave with your throttle hand then it's probably not safe to wave at all :colbert:

But seriously you can totally see when somebody waves with their off hand, because over here it's not hidden behind three hundred pounds of flesh.

We're just cultivating mass over here

I usually throw up a huge peace sign, everyone seems ok with it. Not many other bikers in Camarillo though, unless you count the obnoxiously loud Harley weekend warrior that wakes me up while I'm sleeping in

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

In kiwiland we tilt-nod and nobody gets too excited. We're not animals, we live in a society.

Plus taking one hand off of the vehicle is a Code Black offence and can warrants repercussions as severe as a $2,000 fine per month for the ankle monitor you'll be forced to wear until the chemical castration kicks in and you no longer feel the urge to feel things.

Also a stern talking to and a letter to your mum.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Plus taking one hand off of the vehicle is a Code Black offence and can warrants repercussions as severe as a $2,000 fine per month for the ankle monitor you'll be forced to wear until the chemical castration kicks in and you no longer feel the urge to feel things.

Also a stern talking to and a letter to your mum.

I've seen someone get pulled over for having both hands off the bars on a busy street but it was christmas time so he got let off with a stern talking-to and no punitive action.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Is putting your legs up on the radiator shroud a capital crime

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lifting yourself up so you're sitting on the tank with your legs sticking out diagonally (I don't know what this is called or how you do it so I've never tried) results in a multi-hundred dollar ticket; also seen this firsthand (different guy though).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And here I thought NZ was a civilised country.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is, we have to wear helmets by law and have learner rules that make sense and don't needlessly crush the spirits of budding riders combined with relatively straightforward licensing hoops to jump through.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've seen someone get pulled over for having both hands off the bars on a busy street but it was christmas time so he got let off with a stern talking-to and no punitive action.

Can't move to whatever archaic backwater hole you live in. (:v:)

I'm all the time crossing arms behind idiot slow drivers. hey if we aren't driving, why bother operating the controls.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pop quiz hot shots

What thing should you definitely not forget on a 6000 mile tour through BC, YT, and AK?

Forget what I ride, I got that poo poo on lock.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Pop quiz hot shots

What thing should you definitely not forget on a 6000 mile tour through BC, YT, and AK?

Fire blanket?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Pop quiz hot shots

A book.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Stainless steel zipties. As someone that roadtripped a fiero tens of thousands of miles a year, I can say these things saved my rear end so many times with improvised repairs. Works very well for repairing things like burst cables.

Rope plug kit and co2 inflator. Forget tire sealant.

Biggest portable battery/charger you can find. for various devices like your phone or GPS.

These are the only things that come to mind that people may not immediately consider. Heavy emphasis on the zipties.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 8, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Your Ducati Card, which along with roadside recovery also has a helpline that can advise you on hotel and restaurant reservations, and even arrange bail, legal representation, medical care and repatriation for you and your Fine Italian Motorcycle should the worst happen.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Pop quiz hot shots

hows the bear situation? Maybe leave your wifes running shoes at home?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Your Ducati Card, which along with roadside recovery also has a helpline that can advise you on hotel and restaurant reservations, and even arrange bail, legal representation, medical care and repatriation for you and your Fine Italian Motorcycle should the worst happen.

"we apologise for the delay but no ducati rider has ever ridden far enough to be in need of our services"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

Pop quiz hot shots

Snacks?

Enough tools to do most repairs, tire repair kit, tow rope, layers, deet and permethrin clothes, that backpacking detergent I'm forgetting the name of, first aid kit, spot or other tracker depending on where you're going, international medical and vehicle insurance, some way to charge your cell phone, one of those small jump starters. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

clutchpuck posted:

Pop quiz hot shots

Passport?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A long book of the type you're not likely to read at home. Something like East of Eden.

Also a little Bluetooth speaker, if you do your music on a smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A long book of the type you're not likely to read at home. Something like East of Eden.

Also a little Bluetooth speaker, if you do your music on a smartphone.

Definitely get senas (or similar) if you don't have them. And a way to charge them.

E: and a GoPro! :downsrim: