Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Here's hoping DLC sheds some light on the rise of Aldrich, just what the hell the "Deep" is referring to in "Cathedral of the Deep", and what horribleness the armor descriptions for mobs in that area are referring to. Could be Aldrich had the cathedral built over Nito's old stomping ground and nipped downstairs for some calcium/was the last of the gravelord covenant/inherited his soul the same way The Rotten did (my fav. explanation since I'm a ds2 fanboy)/any number of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I read something on Reddit that I should reroll and take the fire gem to make things easier. Should I?

you get a fire gem really early in the game anyway so why bother?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

enojy posted:

That's not... you're not implying that that's Solaire are you?

No, its more likely Gywn's lost son, who is hinted at being the person who started or inspired the Sunbro covenant. The wrecked statue shows parts of a sword-spear weapon and one missing foot that looks similar to the Nameless King's foot when he stomps down to start phase 2. He's Nameless because Gywn had his name stripped from the annals of history for siding against him with the dragons. It makes sense to me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really want to see how this game's map (in terms of where stuff is located) compares to DS1's. Maybe someone could make a 3D map and overlay it.

Also I doubt it given the game's linearity, but has anyone noticed any funky transitions or areas being on top of each other like DS2 was filled with? (I like to explain DS2's weirdness by assuming that it's the SMB2 or the Link's Awakening of the series and is just a hosed up dream).

stev fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 7, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I read something on Reddit that I should reroll and take the fire gem to make things easier. Should I?

Raw is generally better due to the menace of Split Damage Types, and you get a Raw gem barely halfway through the first major area of the game. The Fire Gem has a single good use (some kind of fire weapon to deal with the Abyss Snakes you find in the first level), and you can just buy a bunch of Firebombs and cheese them much more easily that way.

As far as starting items go, I almost always pick the Sovereignless Soul. 2000's a lot at the start of the game and it lets you buy some useful utility items like Firebombs, a Torch, arrows, etc., or just straight up purchase some levels. At the end of the day, though, it doesn't really matter unless you're speedrunning, as everything you can pick is outclassed or obtainable as soon as you leave High Wall.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

You should take double damage from players if hit from behind and during Eustus drinking.

You should not be able to summon the same phantom twice per invasion.

The two hit stagger rule should apply to you personally, and not each player hitting you.

Bonfire rooms should always have a fog door blocking them during invasions.

There should always be a fog door separating zones, example Road of Sacrifice into Farron Keep.

Reds and Blues should be matchmade before the host, instead of 1 to 2 minutes into the invasion.

Nerf the Dark Sword.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

No. Don't reroll to get a different burial gift because none of them are particularly game breaking. The fire gem is kind of waste if you ask me, because it really only helps you for the first segment of high wall. There's a deep battle axe in a mimic chest before the second bonfire, and most classes can at least two-hand it with starting stats (sorcerers and clerics need a point in str or dex respectively). And if you don't want that there's a crystal lizard with a raw gem right after it. That being said, fire damage is really great in this game and a lot of enemies get super-staggered by it, like dogs, leech monsters, and the pus of man.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Regarding Nito; look at the weapon Aldritch conjures for his melee attacks, it's the gravelord sword, second image, gravelord sword itself

efb

I wish we could get Aldritch gravelord sword on a stick, as a sword spear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RabidWeasel posted:

It's excellent for some bosses (in the late game most notably princes and Lords of Cinder) but I wouldn't ever bother to run a full luck build on any character that wasn't being set up for PvP.

The thing is it didn't seem super great for pvp either, because of how little bleed fires even with carthus rouge, and how you can roll out of the bleed effect. And the twinblades are apparently slower than most straight swords and especially the estoc, annoyingly.

Maybe I'll just make an estoc user and parry every three hits and become part of the problem. Or a greatsword.

quote:

No. Don't reroll to get a different burial gift because none of them are particularly game breaking. The fire gem is kind of waste if you ask me, because it really only helps you for the first segment of high wall. There's a deep battle axe in a mimic chest before the second bonfire, and most classes can at least two-hand it with starting stats (sorcerers and clerics need a point in str or dex respectively). And if you don't want that there's a crystal lizard with a raw gem right after it. That being said, fire damage is really great in this game and a lot of enemies get super-staggered by it, like dogs, leech monsters, and the pus of man.

All of the burial gifts are kind of just there. There's nothing super breaking like in DS1 or that can get you something neat early like in DS2.

quote:

Anri is just over 400 AR, 450 with the 28 faith 2 slot miracle. Woop Dee doo. The warden twinblades are even worse , around 250 ar and no range at all. I'm glad I finally did a luck build in this series but yikes.

I think the problem is just that there's too many awesome str weapons, or even str/dex , and very little for pure dex or luck.

Yeah basically this. The twinblades were a huge letdown.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

poptart_fairy posted:

Anyone gotten use out of the Morion Blade? Even at 40\40 it's kinda lame, and the lack of spell buffs really hurt.

Combine with the red tearstone ring and clown people when they think they have the fight won because your damage just skyrocketed. Alterntively, offhand it and 2-hand a powerful weapon to take advantage of the red tearstone effect. with good timing with how much health you have left and hyperarmor, you should be able to make one hell of a trade that will probably decimate people before they can roll away.

Edit: could still really use sliders for a Patches-alike. Surely someone better than I at this has attempted it before?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The burial gifts mattered in 1/2? I don't recall that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The thing is it didn't seem super great for pvp either, because of how little bleed fires even with carthus rouge, and how you can roll out of the bleed effect. And the twinblades are apparently slower than most straight swords and especially the estoc, annoyingly.

Maybe I'll just make an estoc user and parry every three hits and become part of the problem. Or a greatsword.

All of the burial gifts are kind of just there. There's nothing super breaking like in DS1 or that can get you something neat early like in DS2.

I'd probably recommend the life ring for new players more than any of the others, you can get a lot of mileage out of it, and it's a pretty long time until you can buy one. I go with the soul item myself because 2000 extra souls at the start never hurts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

The master key allowed for some insane sequence breaking. It was basically the only starting gift once you knew what you were doing.

It didn't really matter as much in DS2, but the bonfire ascetic let you do some interesting things.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

mastershakeman posted:

Well Dark Souls 1 let you pick the Master Key, which made a ton of bosses (and even entire areas) totally optional. Dark Souls 2 didn't have anything on that caliber, but it did have the Bonfire Ascetic which is far and away the best choice out of the options presented.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Notorious QIG posted:

Well Dark Souls 1 let you pick the Master Key, which made a ton of bosses (and even entire areas) totally optional. Dark Souls 2 didn't have anything on that caliber, but it did have the Bonfire Ascetic which is far and away the best choice out of the options presented.

What about the Petrified Something?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

Literally and figuratively crap unless you felt like starting a new game over and over until you got the item you wanted from it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BillmasterCozb posted:

The Petrified Something is a roulette for what you actually get. Yeah you might get a Titanite Slab, but you might also get the White Ring.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sorry if this was talked about recently, I'm like 100 pages behind, but why do people think Aldrich ate Nito? Isn't Nito destroyed by the time Aldrich would be around?

I'm not really convinced by the similar appearance or even melodic overtones since they're both of the dark/deep/abyss whatever. Remember that Nashandra from DS2 was just a manus kid w/o a connection to Nito and she looked like this, scythe and all.

Aldrich's weapon clearly being a conjured gravelord sword is interesting though - I'm wondering if it's just a reused asset since you can pick up Aldrich's weapon as a miracle but it's the Life Hunt Scythe from Priscilla.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Monomythian posted:

You should take double damage from players if hit from behind and during Eustus drinking.

You should not be able to summon the same phantom twice per invasion.

The two hit stagger rule should apply to you personally, and not each player hitting you.

Bonfire rooms should always have a fog door blocking them during invasions.

There should always be a fog door separating zones, example Road of Sacrifice into Farron Keep.

Reds and Blues should be matchmade before the host, instead of 1 to 2 minutes into the invasion.

Nerf the Dark Sword.

Add a poise fix and a fix for blue sentinels and darkmoon blades and this game might actually get fun for pvp and strange pvp/pve builds. Instead of seeing 1000 variations of straight swords / katana with abyss watcher set or drang set. oh and buff sorcery and miracles on lower levels.

I have beaten the game twice now and on the pve part, it gets really boring that all enemies can stagger you with one hit and that from Irythil almost all enemies have long combos and fast stamina recovery. I've done most of the game using a flamberge, but on a lot of enemies it feels like I'm handicapping myself, when a straight sword would actually let me do more damage.

As for pvp, I'm one of the unlucky for whom blue cops and Watch dogs just doesn't work very well. I got 4 summons as a blue sentinel in an entire playthrough despite wearing it almost constantly. Aldritch faithfull works for me, if I stay in the zone, but leaving it and I hardly ever get summoned.
The most annoying was trying to invade in other zones and see blue cops being summoned in a lot of my invasion. Then putting on sentinels or blades covenant and never getting summoned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hard counter posted:

I'm not really convinced by the similar appearance or even melodic overtones since they're both of the dark/deep/abyss whatever. Remember that Nashandra from DS2 was just a manus kid w/o a connection to Nito and she looked like this, scythe and all.

Aldrich's weapon clearly being a conjured gravelord sword is interesting though - I'm wondering if it's just a reused asset since you can pick up Aldrich's weapon as a miracle but it's the Life Hunt Scythe from Priscilla.

The miracle you get isn't Aldrich's weapon. During his fight, he can use a move where he conjures up the lifehunt scythe and swings it around in a circle. That's what you get from him as a miracle. The actual weapon he swings around during the fight is different.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The master key allowed for some insane sequence breaking. It was basically the only starting gift once you knew what you were doing.

It didn't really matter as much in DS2, but the bonfire ascetic let you do some interesting things.

master key just saves you time, you can do most of the sequence breaks without it in a bit more tedious way. for story witches ring is the best one. black fire bombs if you REALLY want that dumb demon hammer. pendant if you want to unlock the real ending.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MarshyMcFly posted:

The sorcerer is probably one of the hardest starting classes. Both in PVP and PVE.

Someday you can kill a dragon gud tho* :shobon:

*Most endgame bosses don't have a health bar a pixel wide

e: spoilered

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 7, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So where the hell is Patches in Firelink if you exhausted all his dialogue in the Cathedral and rescued Siegward?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I find pretty much all the magic to be trash in PvP. It's easier to go all in with melee and high poise and two-shot everyone while it takes 10 minutes for them to cast a spell that'll hit you for laughable damage. Only worthwhile spells are the ones that hide you or your weapon.

Magic is good in PvE but only barely and after a whole lot of extreme investment. Unless it's Pyromancy then Great Chaos Fire Orb all day erryday.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So what's the accepted max level range for pvp/co-op? Past level 83 I don't have much reason to put points in any stat

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deified Data posted:

So where the hell is Patches in Firelink if you exhausted all his dialogue in the Cathedral and rescued Siegward?

Behind the 20k key, go all the way to the top then come back down

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Go up the elevator in the tower, even if you've already picked up the fire keeper soul.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Tetracube posted:

So what's the accepted max level range for pvp/co-op? Past level 83 I don't have much reason to put points in any stat

Mostly lvl 80, 100 and 120.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Okay I found him.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tetracube posted:

Depends on what you are going for. 80 is a good place to sit, since you can get co-op and pvp from Irithyll and up on that lvl. I guess keep your highest lvl upgraded weapon around 6 or 7. If you want to keep being able to do mid game stuff.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I find pretty much all the magic to be trash in PvP. It's easier to go all in with melee and high poise and two-shot everyone while it takes 10 minutes for them to cast a spell that'll hit you for laughable damage. Only worthwhile spells are the ones that hide you or your weapon.

Magic is good in PvE but only barely and after a whole lot of extreme investment. Unless it's Pyromancy then Great Chaos Fire Orb all day erryday.

I have something terrible to tell you.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

RBA Starblade posted:

Picking Rusted Gold Coin gives you 7 which is more than you actually find during the game. It's not amazing or anything but it's probably the most helpful one.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Would it be to much to request spoilers for images of important bosses? The game is still fairly new, and I haven't finished it yet. Though of course I realize I risk spoilers being on a thread about this game.

On a unrelated note. Anyone have a opinion on the Irithyll Straight Sword? I kind of want to upgrade my dex to use it. From what I read frost damage seems more useful against PvsP the PvsE because it affects defense and stamina. I don't have alot of experience using it or dying from it yet, as the rear end in a top hat monster who wielded the sword usually killed me before the frost damage bar filled up to much.

(edit: sloppy text)

Shnag fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 7, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shnag posted:

Would it be to much to request spoilers for images of important bosses? The game is still fairly new, and I haven't finished it yet. Though of course I realize I risk spoilers being on a thread about this game.

On a unrelated note. Anyone have a opinion on the Irithyll Straight Sword? I kind of what up grade my dex to use it. From what I read frost damage seems more useful against PvsP the PvsE because it affects defense and stamina. I don't have alot of experience using it or dying from it yet, as the rear end in a top hat monster who wielded the sword usually killed me before the frost damage bar filled up to much.

The Irithyll Sword is critically underpowered, and Frost, while theoretically kinda useful, isn't good enough to carry the weapon. Bleed is the status effect of choice anyway.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shnag posted:

On a unrelated note. Anyone have a opinion on the Irithyll Straight Sword? I kind of want to upgrade my dex to use it. From what I read frost damage seems more useful against PvsP the PvsE because it affects defense and stamina. I don't have alot of experience using it or dying from it yet, as the rear end in a top hat monster who wielded the sword usually killed me before the frost damage bar filled up to much.

(edit: sloppy text)

It's possibly the closest to a newbie trap weapon this game have. It looks good the first time you get it, if you haven't been upgrading your gear, but it's really bad. I can't be infused or buffed, requires twinkling titanite, frost is really bad and it's base damage is quickly outpaced by other straight swords

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Grondoth posted:

I have something terrible to tell you.

I meant it in a Stomp sense.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I always pick the cracked orbs for a few immediate invasions, even if you can get the full orb early. Rusted Coins are probably the best all-around option though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Shnag posted:

I added a spoiler, but once the game hits a month past US release I probably won't anymore.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
black firebombs are a good choice for cleric/deprived as they can help you just rush through the second part of the Iudex fight since you'll take a poo poo-load of damage more missing a few armor pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

If you want to get invaded just rub dried fingers on your face. You'll constantly get reds throwing themselves at you that way.

If you want to use sorcery and also an interesting weapon, I heartily recommend the immolation tinder. A lot of people are put off by its bizzare stat requirements, but its a solid weapon that actually has really drat good scaling. Its also a weapon that scales off int but doesn't deal magic damage. This is quite useful, as it means your mage won't get walled by enemies that resist magic. Plus it just plain looks cool.

I think I will do this. Here's the best I can do:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/8807

This'd work a lot better at level 200.

e: there's no clothes that boost spells aside from dusk crown this time, right?