Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Junpei Hyde posted:

1. Do they kiss

2. If yes, pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Caphi posted:

The cutscenes are the opposite of skippable, in that they're less skippable than in regular RPGs. They will almost always play out with every line being voiced in unskippable real time, with gestures and pauses between them. Often they will even slow you down from walking through an area.

Between you and me, I didn't find the fights that fun, either.

I just read up on how the cutscenes work.

Oof. I guess it's not so bad if the plot and writing are good, but that's probably too much to ask for.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

thats his brother

gross

uh no that's not what they mean when they call each other "bro"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The White Dragon posted:

uh no that's not what they mean when they call each other "bro"

they were raised from early childhood in the same house by the same adoptive father, refer to each other as family repeatedly through the game, have a good chunk of the cast banter about them revolve around how they act like brothers...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Free the lame post

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zore posted:

they were raised from early childhood in the same house by the same adoptive father, refer to each other as family repeatedly through the game, have a good chunk of the cast banter about them revolve around how they act like brothers...

Give up. People will ship actual blood siblings if they want to bad enough, this won't slow them down.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I just read up on how the cutscenes work.

Oof. I guess it's not so bad if the plot and writing are good, but that's probably too much to ask for.

You'll also have to watch them again if you die. I did so four times: once when I accidentally went into one of the Cathedrals of Something without knowing what it was, and three times in "Protect Anne" encounters, two of which were consecutive.

(Afterwards, I read that there is a multi-minute dialogue before a later boss.)

One of the defense missions was especially exciting because the path to it from the immediate save point went like this:
  • Run across a bridge.
  • Walk very very slowly across the area, because people are talking.
  • Get to the trigger point. Wait in the circle for your party members to run over, and then wait for them to talk some more.
  • Multiple waves of robots charge Anne. They have guns and are all actively focusing on her from the first second.

e: It's this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdWkX79aWM&t=863s

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 8, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Alright well, that's a pass for me. Thanks.

Save points and unskippable cutscenes in 2016, is that hosed up or what

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

what loving clod funded star ocean 5

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Probably the same monkey's paw cackling piece of poo poo who made the new Kings Quest.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

edit:nevermind this is what I get for skipping things

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

Probably the same monkey's paw cackling piece of poo poo who made the new Kings Quest.

The new KQ is pretty alright aside from the shady behavior of the developers, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

voltcatfish posted:

There had to be a price for Nier 2 to exist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RareAcumen posted:

You mean Homestuck fans?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There is nothing wrong with save points.

Fight me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Save points are good because they make you value saving, instead of losing two hours of progress because you were too lazy to spend five seconds saving at a menu.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Upon consideration I would actually pick Star Ocean 5 back up if they patch in one of the following things:
  • Dialogue scene skip
  • Battle retry
Other than treating my time and attention like dirt it's probably just an okay-ish action-RPG (if you're desperate for those on the PS4) but I would at least try to finish it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What's wrong with save points? I mean, I just kind of accept them in my JRPGs. Being able to save any time is a WRPG thing.

Granted, the last JRPG I played is several years old by now. Have JRPGs begun to incorporate save anywhere?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
autosave is better

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Autosave with the option to manually save at any time is better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

What's wrong with save points? I mean, I just kind of accept them in my JRPGs. Being able to save any time is a WRPG thing.

Some JRPGs have free save systems, like SMT4/Apoc and Trails.

e: Battle Network too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not fond of autosave because it locks me into saving when I might not want to and I much prefer manual saving, especially in an RPG where I'd rather have the ability to create multiple saves instead of just one overlapping one.

Manual saving anywhere isn't bad but risks people locking themselves into unwinnable situations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

Some JRPGs have free save systems, like SMT4/Apoc and Trails.

e: Battle Network too.

Pokemon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cyber Sleuth, too.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
drat, how can posts about save points being deal breakers exist in "rpg thread"

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Granted, the last JRPG I played is several years old by now. Have JRPGs begun to incorporate save anywhere?

Save points shouldn't exist imo but if they do, they definitely shouldn't exist alongside back to title screen gameovers and unskippable cutscenes. I'll accept at most two out of those three although zero is optimal.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've the same gripe with Arc the Lad 2 that I had with TitS in that the game offers you side-quests to do every so often, except they're not really side-quests because if you finish the next plot-critical dungeon some of those unfinished sidequests will disappear. Also you have to remember to steal from boss monsters because sometimes you can pilfer unique items off them, though they never explain why you can't fetch these items off their corpses after you kill them.

I'm so glad I skipped the first game, it was so bare-bones. There was nothing to do between fights, no towns, no shops, no item management, and the title character was pretty dull. The biggest improvement is that when you kill all the monsters in a room, the battle ends and you can explore the place with the one character instead of having to agonisingly move every party member around like in Fire Emblem. Really, a lot of Strategy-RPGs could be improved by letting us walk around and interact with the environment. It helps that the game has real sidequests like Baldurs Gate 2, instead of fobbing us off with a 1000 identical fights to pad out the running-time like Arc 1.

Only in a 1996 video game could an Osama Bin-Laden lookalike bomb the Statue of Liberty from his airship and still be one of the good guys.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Save points shouldn't exist imo but if they do, they definitely shouldn't exist alongside back to title screen gameovers and unskippable cutscenes. I'll accept at most two out of those three although zero is optimal.

I can deal with all of these if save points are placed well. I once lost an hour of progress near the beginning of FFX because I realized I missed the first destruction gem item (I didn't realize a cutscene would force me out of the area), and the last cutscene before that was a bit far back. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Save Points are fine but letting you restart battles over and over is a must, especially since any decent game will have a save point just outside the boss room, so not letting you do that is literally just wasting your time for no reason. The only reason I can think of to remove that feature is if you want a string of marathon battles where the player has to conserve their resources, and even then you can just have 'restart battle' put the player at the start of the marathon.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Nickoten posted:

I can deal with all of these if save points are placed well. I once lost an hour of progress near the beginning of FFX because I realized I missed the first destruction gem item (I didn't realize a cutscene would force me out of the area), and the last cutscene before that was a bit far back. :(

Sure I guess but here in 2016 we've largely adopted the design philosophy that the shorter the time span between failure and the next attempt, the better. Honestly the biggest culprit isn't actually save points or even unskippable cutscenes now that I think about it.

The biggest culprit is game overs that boot you back to the title screen. Why? Knock it off already.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After many years I found my FFIII DS cartridge. Now I need to lose it again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Etrian Odyssey does all of these things.

As in it kicks you back to the menu, does not let you restart battles, and has fixed save points.

Terper fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 8, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Endorph posted:

Save Points are fine but letting you restart battles over and over is a must, especially since any decent game will have a save point just outside the boss room, so not letting you do that is literally just wasting your time for no reason. The only reason I can think of to remove that feature is if you want a string of marathon battles where the player has to conserve their resources, and even then you can just have 'restart battle' put the player at the start of the marathon.

Yeah you don't even need to remove the idea of resource management, you can make save points that don't let you use party-refreshing items or whatever and still just let the player experiment.

The whole "press your luck" thing works for Dragon Quest, but that game never forces you to reload and includes a bank. Thus, when you're "pressing your luck" you're usually only ever gambling on the gold you've accumulated during your current trek.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also late:

4th one is pretty funny given the current state of Berseria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Also late:

4th one is pretty funny given the current state of Berseria.

tales of zestiria 2 sin of the innocent - by Yoshimasa Tanaka

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The novel following Beseria is just going to be Bandai Namco accidentally publishing some dude's terrible fan fic where Sorey goes to kick Arma Dylan but it turns out Arma Dylan was actually a bomb and blows up Sorey and his head lands in Mikleo's Arms.

then Lailah makes a dumb pun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Terper posted:

Etrian Odyssey does all of these things.

As in it kicks you back to the menu, does not let you restart battles, and has fixed save points.

Etrian Odyssey is specifically about creating tension during each individual dungeon dive. Do you want to play it safe and go to town, or push your luck and keep going until you find another shortcut? It serves a very specific purpose. And the newer games have provided retry options for lower difficulties anyway.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

On the whole I don't particularly like Etrian Odyssey so I can't really comment on it, but forcing you to redo stuff you've already done or re-watch a cutscene, unless there's a big element of procedural generation, is just punishing the player with boredom. I don't like it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
EO doesn't really have cutscenes before bosses that are longer than like 10 fast boxes of text

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You also keep your map when you die on any difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

All fail states are punishing the player by making them redo content. The trick to making this not equivalent to boredom is to make the player feel like they can do something different to improve on their mistakes from the last attempt.